Personal history check for ED visa

I have to fill in a “Personal history check” form with the details of my stay in Thailand during the past 2 years. I worry that the number of visa exempt entries and extensions will result in a refusal of my visa application or worse... What is your experience?

Which embassy or consulate is asking for that?

Or is it for the education ministry to issue the documents required to apply for a non-ed visa that is being asked for by school?

Your previous history of visas and entries will not prevent you from getting a non-ed visa or an extension stay.

7 hours ago, bangkokbabe said:

Thanks for the replies. I suppose it’s for the Ministry of Education who will then issue a letter required for applying for a non-ED visa. 

But who asked you that paper in the first place ?

School ? Embassy ? Immigration .... ?

(Never heard of that before).

On 3/31/2019 at 7:52 AM, ubonjoe said:

Which embassy or consulate is asking for that?

Or is it for the education ministry to issue the documents required to apply for a non-ed visa that is being asked for by school?

Your previous history of visas and entries will not prevent you from getting a non-ed visa or an extension stay.

"Personal history check for ED visa".

Not sure why you you refer on two occasions to a "non-ed" visa...when he is asking about an "Ed-visa"?

28 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

"Personal history check for ED visa".

Not sure why you you refer on two occasions to a "non-ed" visa...when he is asking about an "Ed-visa"?

They're abbreviating " non-immigrant Ed visa."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So... I've just received the paperwork back from the school. There was no issue with my documents. ????The Ministry of Education approved my application. Next I'll have to apply for the actual visa abroad.

Here's another question for the knowledgeable: what is it like to apply for a Non-O visa for dependent (foreign) spouse in Hanoi, based on my ED visa? Do you know what documents are required? The embassy website doesn't specify anything...

Your spouse will need your marriage certificate pus a copy, and a copy your passport photo page. Also having an extra copy of your documents might be good to have in case they are needed for their application.

A letter from the school requesting the non-o be issued would help or may be required.

40 minutes ago, bangkokbabe said:

Do they normally accept plain photocopies (certified/signed by me), or do I need to get the documents notarized (or even Apostilled)?

The will accept signed copies for the applications but may ask to see the originals.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm back from Hanoi and would like to share my experiences. In my opinion, Hanoi is a great place to apply for a Non-Ed visa. Very few people go there, so there's no long queuing up. The officers are very nice. Of course, your paperwork must be in order. This has been my 1st ED visa application and that's what I needed as (copied from HCM consulate website as Hanoi's shows nothing basically):

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
  • Visa application form completely filled out
  • Recent (4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant
  • Recommendation letter addressed to the Consulate
  • Letter of acceptance from the concerned academic institute/organisation
  • For those wishing to study in a Private institution, an official letter from the Ministry of Education of Thailand, or other sub-authorities concerned, approving the enrollment of foreign students and a copy of registration certificate of the concerned academic institute are required.
  • Foreigners who obtain a non-immigrant visa must possess money or payable document  equivalent to not less than Bath 20,000 for a single person and Baht 40,000 for a family.

They require a bank statement (last month's is enough) to show proof that one has the funds to support themselves during there studies. Visa fees are payable in USD, e.g. 80 USD for a single-entry Non-ED visa. I didn't' see any requirement for police check from Thailand or applicant's home country but I attached one anyway.

Please note that they don't issue Non-O visas to follow spouse (dependent visa) for private education courses. Higher education programmes would probably qualify. The officer said that dependent visas are issued on a case by case basis.

• Like 1