Which Is Best? - Kaza, Bearshare

RDN

Hi

I have just started this whole p to p stuff even though i am on dial up ( dont ask ! ) and am using soulseek.

so far it seems not bad bad the downloads do fail or dont even start about 70% of the time. whether that is down to users or the internet I am not sure but my main question is

jpg.xml files, are they safe to download?

thanks ( yes i know it may be a stupid question to those in the know but i am not in the know, you know?) :o

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I would not download a file like that unless I was entirely sure I knew what file it was and what it was doing.

The general rule is you should NEVER download files with "double" extensions, like jpg.exe, mpg.xml etc.

The only thing you should and need to look at is the very end of the file name (after the full stop), whatever it says before the very last full stop, does not tell you anything about what type of file it is. So in short, the file you are asking about is not a JPEG file, it's a potentially harmful XML file. Somebody has probably named it something spicy and added the jpg at the end so people who are not computer-savvy will think it is a picture of a hot chick or something.

Hope that helps.

Anyone interested in taking part in a test?

What I'm thinking is this: we make a list of mp3's from different decades and genres of music, and everyone then has to try to get them downloaded. Not really a race, but just to see whose bit of software can find the most mp3's in the list and how long it took to get the ones that they could find.

Anyone interested? :o

i prefer bearshare bcoz of its speed and search results for mp3... after installation go to programfiles and shift delete 2 folders "save" and "weathercast" after killing it frm the process viewer... run some antispyware but dont kill bearshare.. or use an extra harddisk with win98 boot just for p2p.. edonkey and emule gives a lot more search results but to download a movie or mp3 it takes ages and it will be uploading along with the download... whearas in bearshare upload dont happen unless u give permission... lill bit risk.. but u get what u want in few mts... never open any zip/rar downloaded file when antivirus is not present...

I have used them all over the years.Soulseek I found had spyware,and finds nothing more than others

By far the best is Shareaza,as I said before,It finds far more far faster.It shows you exactly where you are in the Q.It gives me full download speed permitted by my J-Net package,it also uses Torrents and Ed2k links,and seaches 3 networks.

Want some horror/slasher movies?Great Asian collection as well.Try this site

http://forum.dead-donkey.com/index.php

Edited by bartender100

What I'm thinking is this: we make a list of mp3's from different decades and genres of music, and everyone then has to try to get them downloaded. Not really a race, but just to see whose bit of software can find the most mp3's in the list and how long it took to get the ones that they could find.

Interesting idea RDN, but let's say you have a 1 Mbps connection and mine is 256 Kbps, I will be slower than you irrespective of software.

Interesting idea RDN, but let's say you have a 1 Mbps connection and mine is 256 Kbps, I will be slower than you irrespective of software.

OK, but speed - for me - is not the number one requirement. For me, it's just getting the song eventually. I'm more interested in which software can find the most obscure tracks.

Also, I think the source servers/shared computers may themselves be connected by slow links. But it's a good point, and we could add our own connection speed to the results we get.

I'm actually on a dial-up, usually at 42,6Kbps, so I can't cheat!! :D

So can we think about a list of tracks from different decades and genres? I'll have a think and post, say, 5. Then other people can add to the list and then we say "Go', and we all start to search!

OK - here's my 60's list:

Shangri-Las - Past, Present And Future

Steve Miller Band - I Love You

Them - Here Comes The Night

Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hangin' On

Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders - Um Um Um Um Um Um

Velvet Underground - Here She Comes Now

I've tried to pick some obscure tracks to really test the program used to download.

Can others add their obscure tracks too? Maybe from the 50's, 70's and 80's, but it doesn't really matter that much. Then I'll produce the definitive list and we all go for them :o

Can others add their obscure tracks too? Maybe from the 50's, 70's  and 80's, but it doesn't really matter that much. Then I'll produce the definitive list and we all go for them :D

I really really really want a copy of "Hit me with your rythm stick" by Ian Dury & The Blockheads... can't find it anywhere... :o

Can others add their obscure tracks too? Maybe from the 50's, 70's  and 80's, but it doesn't really matter that much. Then I'll produce the definitive list and we all go for them :D

I really really really want a copy of "Hit me with your rythm stick" by Ian Dury & The Blockheads... can't find it anywhere... :o

Bearshare has just found 87 sources :D in about 2 minutes . I won't download it, but I'll add it to the list.

(It even found 3 spelled the way you spelt "rythm"!)

Bearshare has just found 87 sources :D in about 2 minutes . I won't download it, but I'll add it to the list.

Rdn,

Do u find bearshare quick? how long on average does it tale to download a movie seeds etc considerd?also can you use DL accelerators with this program, as im thinkin of changing from limewire coz its so slow.I rang up TRUE and asked her what the story is, and after 10 mins she told me (yes we put the brakes on p2p here in thailand) in a nice sorta way.Is it worth changing?

TRUE 1MB

XP PRO SP2

512 ram and so on

cheers

Dublish.

New Model Army - Green and Gray

Sly and the Family Stone - Family Affair

Loosegoats - Lava

The Fivestairsteps - Ooh Child

Red House Painters - Have you forgotten

Hmm, I know only one of those (Sly) - you've got some pretty wierd tastes Meadish :o . (But you probably think the same about me :D ). OK, I'll add them to the list.

More please.

Rdn,

Do u find bearshare quick? how long on average does it tale to download a movie seeds etc considerd?also can you use DL accelerators with this program, as im thinkin of changing from limewire coz its so slow.I rang up TRUE and asked her what the story is, and after 10 mins she told me (yes we put the brakes on p2p here in thailand) in a nice sorta way.Is it worth changing?

TRUE 1MB

XP PRO SP2

512 ram  and so on

cheers

Dublish.

Quick? :D I'm on dial-up 42.6 Kbps connection at best, 36Kbps download typical. So "speed" is not really a consideration for me. If Bearshare can find what I'm looking for - and it's usually 60's or 70's music, not movies - then I'm happy to wait for it to appear in my "download" folder. This can take hours or days, I don't really care as long as it gets there eventually. This is why I'm more interested in how big the p2p networks are that are reached by these different programs. Bearshare has been around for ages, so I'm sure a lot of people are running it and sharing their files. What I don't know is just how many people are connected to the other networks and are sharing their files.

That's why I'd like to get a list of fairly obscure tracks to see which community has the most. If it takes a month to get them all on Bearshare, I rate that better than getting 90% in an hour on, say, Limewire. Other people will have different priorities, but for me, it's finding out which p2p network has the most files that is the most important quality, not speed.

Regarding "download accelerators", I don't think I'm using one with Bearshare, but I'm not sure how to find out either. :o

Rdn,

TRUE 1MB

XP PRO SP2

512 ram  and so on

cheers

Dublish.

Quick? :D I'm on dial-up 42.6 Kbps connection at best, 36Kbps download typical. So "speed" is not really a consideration for me. If Bearshare can find what I'm looking for - and it's usually 60's or 70's music, not movies - then I'm happy to wait for it to appear in my "download" folder. This can take hours or days, I don't really care as long as it gets there eventually. This is why I'm more interested in how big the p2p networks are that are reached by these different programs. Bearshare has been around for ages, so I'm sure a lot of people are running it and sharing their files. What I don't know is just how many people are connected to the other networks and are sharing their files.

That's why I'd like to get a list of fairly obscure tracks to see which community has the most. If it takes a month to get them all on Bearshare, I rate that better than getting 90% in an hour on, say, Limewire. Other people will have different priorities, but for me, it's finding out which p2p network has the most files that is the most important quality, not speed.

Regarding "download accelerators", I don't think I'm using one with Bearshare, but I'm not sure how to find out either. :D

36kbps is outstanding for your dial up conn, my highspeed is only recently bought so im trying to get the most out of it, 3 weeks ago i had dial up and the most i got with lime wire was 5-6 kbps :D and this high speed fastest ive seen is 44kbps :D .But ill try bearshare and let u know how it gets on.

cheers

Dublish

OH! a song,not sure who sings it(before my time)my father used sing it,lord rest him, but it goes: I dreamt i saw joe hill last night alive as you and me........... :o

i have been running shareaza for about a week now and i love the layout, options etc. but i havent been able to download a single thing yet, lots of active, pending part downloads but nought complete. In same time frame i have downloaded about 2 gigs of games and music using lime wire. I want to use shareaza as i prefer its user options but i am not happy to wait a month for my place in the queue when i can get it straght awayish some where else. I in my experience cant understand why shareaxa is getting rated so well? I am fully open to the opinion that it may well be me not using to it's best ability, but i can do it succesfully with Lime wire. :o

i have been running shareaza for about a week now and i love the layout, options etc. but i havent been able to download a single thing yet, lots of active, pending part downloads but nought complete. In same time frame i have downloaded about 2 gigs of games and music using lime wire. I want to use shareaza as i prefer its user options but i am not happy to wait a month for my place in the queue when i can get it straght awayish some where else. I in my experience cant understand why shareaxa is getting rated so well? I am fully open to the opinion that it may well be me not using to it's best ability, but i can do it succesfully with Lime wire.  :o

Just a point,have you opened all the networks,top left hand corner,you seem t have to do this manually.

I really really really want a copy of "Hit me with your rythm stick" by Ian Dury & The Blockheads... can't find it anywhere... :D

Cheers RDN. :o

I just downloaded it and installed it on my work PC, but it won't run because we've got a proxy server. :D

Bearshare (freeware version) also has a "Saver" addin which our anti-virus software flags continuously... very annoying. :D

Cheers RDN. :o

I just downloaded it and installed it on my work PC, but it won't run because we've got a proxy server.  :D

Bearshare (freeware version) also has a "Saver" addin which our anti-virus software flags continuously... very annoying.  :D

Yes, it has two or three spywares: "Save Now", "When U" and "Weathercast". I'm not sure if the first two are the same thing. But as I run a firewall on my home PC (ZoneAlarm) it tells me when these program want to access the Internet, and I tell it to disallow them forever.

So I only get the warning once - and it's usually just after I have upgraded to a newer version of Bearshare. So it's not a problem for home users with firewalls, but at work it could be a real pain. :D

And whenever my ZoneAlarm tells me some process wants to access the Internet, I always do a search using Google to check what the process is. Some of the process names aren't the same as the spyware names. So you have to be careful!

... OH!  a song,not sure who sings it(before my time)my father used sing it,lord rest him, but it goes: I dreamt i saw joe hill last night alive as you and me........... :o

I searched for that - but very confusing information - it's an old folk song I believe, but Billy Bragg ( :D ) did a version with a different name. I'm sure it was his usual left-wing biased b%^&s&t (sorry I really don't like him - he's another Nigel Kennedy with politics thrown in).

So I don't think we can search for something THAT obscure!

But for ELO and OMD - I'll add:

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO

Flowers in the Rain - The Move

Enola Gay - OMD

Any more before we start? :D

... OH!  a song,not sure who sings it(before my time)my father used sing it,lord rest him, but it goes: I dreamt i saw joe hill last night alive as you and me........... :o

I searched for that - but very confusing information - it's an old folk song I believe, but Billy Bragg ( :D ) did a version with a different name. I'm sure it was his usual left-wing biased b%^&s&t (sorry I really don't like him - he's another Nigel Kennedy with politics thrown in).

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO

Enola Gay - OMD

ohh no rdn dont include that song its cat :D i was wondering if it could be found cheers anyway :D

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO

Enola Gay - OMD

Joan Baez did "Joe Hill" back in my days. :D

JOE HILL

From the soundtrack album "Carry It On" (Vanguard 79313 -2), 1971; produced by Christopher Knight.