Bangkok - The Land of a Lack of Smiles

HamonRye

11 hours ago, thedemon said:

Vietnam and Indonesia are both good examples of what I mean. If a westerner wants to they can find local level street food at cheaper prices than Thailand. The problem is the quality of raw materials and level of hygiene sucks. In Thailand, mostly it's acceptable. 

If you go even slightly upmarket e.g imported goods, then both Vietnam and Indonesia are far more expensive than Thailand.

Malaysia? I can't think of anything that's cheaper/better there. Do you have some examples?

When was the last time you were in Kuala Lumpur? I'm a Malaysian living in KL. KL is the cheapest ASEAN capital city, but our incomes are higher than the typical Bangkokian. I haven't been to all the ASEAN capital cities, but I can assure you - Bangkok is more expensive than KL.

Kuala Lumpur is ASEAN's cheapest city

Singapore is ranked #1 most expensive in the world, Bangkok at #51 and Kuala Lumpur at #96.

One thing for sure that is cheaper in KL than Bangkok is the rental rate of properties.

I have friends who do business in the Philippines can confirm with me that Manila is more expensive than KL. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, impulse said:

Try making a living renting out 600 baht rooms -any sized room- in a high cost area like BKK and see how much you smile when the bills come due.

Cheers people.

So to summarise your comments Bangkokians dont smile as much now when you hand over the cash because there's just too many of us damn foreigners here now?

Is that about the long and the short of it?

What would they look like if we all f*ucked off to Myanmar then?

????

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, Pilotman said:

it isn't just you, we all see it. Miserable, uncooperative and unsmiling is the general norm among Thais in the Cities nowadays. Mind you, London is no better, worse if anything, and as for New York: enough said. 

"... we all see it..."

What?  No, we don't all see it!

"Miserable, uncooperative and unsmiling..."

Nonsense.  As someone else has commented, perhaps it's just a reaction to the attitudes that they see.

• Haha 1

No one owes you a smile. I prefer people who don't smile.

My wife rarely smiles. When we first met, you could see a clear disappointment on her face.

What good is a bargirl who always smiles when you give her cash, when tomorrow morning she will stab you in the face if you don't give her money for sick buffalo.

Most of the country would be better off if they just spoke their mind instead of having a stupid grin on their face.

Oh, but Farang wouldn't feel like a king.

Boo hoooo

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HamonRye said:

Cheers people.

So to summarise your comments Bangkokians dont smile as much now when you hand over the cash because there's just too many of us damn foreigners here now?

????

More expensive there. Less good stuff.

9 hours ago, HamonRye said:
On 4/2/2019 at 7:16 AM, impulse said:

Try making a living renting out 600 baht rooms -any sized room- in a high cost area like BKK and see how much you smile when the bills come due.

Cheers people.

No, the long and short of it is that the cost of raw materials and other inputs like rent keep going up, and because of competitive pressures (too many rooms and too many malls being built) and government edicts to keep prices down, they can't raise their prices to keep up with their costs.   They're working just as hard or harder than they did 5 years ago, and they keep bringing home less and less in real purchasing power every year for their efforts.   

I challenge any of the complainers here on TVF to work in that environment for a few years and maintain their happy smile.

Edited by impulse

On 4/2/2019 at 4:48 PM, natway09 said:

All you grumpy old men are drinking in the wrong bars or is it that if a beer is over 100 Bht  you won't buy it. ??. Still great value for accommodation,,, 2,000 Bht buys you a good room !!

See what you get in Australia for that IF you can find one.

It is not Thailand's fault that your money has devalued. Talk to your MP

Yes it is cheaper than Australia but why the Australians don't revolt at the prices they are given is beyond me....

many, many years in Thailand, and, do agree, less smiles. Yet, location counts. In the tourist areas the smiles are present, part of their job. In Bangkok business district, the current status quo includes long, and expensive commutes on crowded public transportation, expensive foods, as always, paychecks don't keep up with inflation, the passing of Rama 9, political uncertainty, a "new" election, in reality there is just not much for the average Thai to smile about.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"... we all see it..."

What?  No, we don't all see it!

"Miserable, uncooperative and unsmiling..."

Nonsense.  As someone else has commented, perhaps it's just a reaction to the attitudes that they see.

OK...MOST of us see it. It's just the sad reality of the place. Sure, it's not 100%...but it's a noticeable majority compared to years gone by. What's even worse is it's been going on for so long that it's just overlooked and accepted as normal now. :1zgarz5:

On 4/2/2019 at 5:49 AM, bkk6060 said:

Unfortunately many foreigners come here thinking they are better then this place.  The "treat me like a king I have more money" then you attitude.

Yes, I think the Thais are sick of it and I do not blame them.

It will probably never be recovered.

One other thing my opinion is the Bangkok Thais actually are better then Pattaya.

Wow back picking at that scab again. Looks to be compulsive. 

A town in central Thailand. A trickle, hardly any really, backpacker and tourists go there. No Chinese tourist’s period. There are very very few farang about. These are some but weeks can go by before you see them. A Brit who teaches at the local Uni refers to it as, LOS = Land of Scowls. But where does it come from, obviously not form tourist or retirees wanting to be treated like gods.

Where does it come from – and no it is not because the locals are xenophobic. So where does it come from?? - (Sorry got an e mail - have to add - not in Petchaboon province - Ok panna?! :thumbsup:)

Probably the same place you get it from.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2019 at 2:05 PM, possum1931 said:

Apart from those in the sex trade, how many Thais do you actually see in Pattaya?????

From what I could see when I was there, there were more Westerners and Chinese there than Thais, and as I said, apart from people working in the sex trade. Maybe I was walking in the wrong places.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

there were more Westerners and Chinese there than Thais

Lots of Thais go to Pattaya at the weekends...whenever I look I always see more Thais than westerners or Chinese after all T.i.T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What?  "Most of us" do not see it, who said that most people see it? 

A few of the usual Thai bashers on this forum seem to agree amongst themselves about it but that's just tediously accepted by the rational as par for the course here where if you do not slur, denigrate or ridicule Thai people in general you are seen as having something wrong with you.

Thai apologist. Eyes wide shut much? 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, impulse said:

No, the long and short of it is that the cost of raw materials and other inputs like rent keep going up, and because of competitive pressures (too many rooms and too many malls being built) and government edicts to keep prices down, they can't raise their prices to keep up with their costs.   They're working just as hard or harder than they did 5 years ago, and they keep bringing home less and less in real purchasing power every year for their efforts.   

I challenge any of the complainers here on TVF to work in that environment for a few years and maintain their happy smile.

Mate, I'd probably just hire some Burmese to do all the shit work.????

There's a Burmese barman down the road who serves beer like he actually gives a shit. Or maybe at least he pretends to give a shit. Must be on a paltry wage. 

Ah, well it's not the lack of smiles in BKK i'm talking about in general, it's the often unininterested, somewhat grumpy look you get when you come to pay the bill i'm thinking of.

Probably no different from London though i guess. Although London could be the most multi cultural place going.

I think it's just me and cities. Cold souless places.

Anyway, i'm off too Isaan and Laos soon. Yipeee!!

(I'm the miserable looking one sat at the bar)

On 4/2/2019 at 4:23 AM, alex8912 said:

young girls can afford braces and are shy to smile a lot until they come off

The thing is they won't come off until the fashion changes. 90% of them don't need those ugly looking braces, it's just fashion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

Lots of Thais go to Pattaya at the weekends...whenever I look I always see more Thais than westerners or Chinese after all T.i.T

Yes, I see where you are coming from, but I have never been in Pattaya at the weekend in years, It has always been between Mons and Thurs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 4:13 PM, thedemon said:

Vietnam and Indonesia are both good examples of what I mean. If a westerner wants to they can find local level street food at cheaper prices than Thailand. The problem is the quality of raw materials and level of hygiene sucks. In Thailand, mostly it's acceptable. 

If you go even slightly upmarket e.g imported goods, then both Vietnam and Indonesia are far more expensive than Thailand.

Absolute BS. EVERYTHING imported / upmarket in Vietnam is way cheaper than Thailand. Same goes for Philippines.

Not commenting on Indonesia / Malaysia - not desirable countries for me.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 11:46 AM, HamonRye said:

Cheers people.

????

It's because there are too many foreigners who tip a lot, they ruined it for all of us because the thai now think we are all millionaires and don't care about money at all. Even when they give us a crappy service we still don't care.