U.S. House committee seeks Trump tax returns from IRS

webfact

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Every politician probably has loads of things they don't want the public to know about. Kennedy and his women would be such a one, Reagan and the Contras another. IMO there is no such thing as real transparency when it comes to politics.

Even the beloved Obama kept his association with a dubious religious person very quiet.

Everybody has secrets, but Trump takes it to a new level.  Your speculation regarding other peoples secrets does not allow Trump to interfere with a legal demand from Congress to the IRS for tax records.

Or are you suggesting that King Trump is above all laws?

Just now, heybruce said:

Everybody has secrets, but Trump takes it to a new level.  Your speculation regarding other peoples secrets does not allow Trump to interfere with a legal demand from Congress to the IRS for tax records.

Trump is still a citizen, and has the same privilege as anyone else. It's not a hard concept. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Once again, you seem to think Trump is above the law.

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

and Trump ain't stupid enough to fall for it.

Or that he's not stupid, when on an almost daily basis, he proves he is!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Oh dear, are you suggesting that Trump is some sort of king, that he can disregard the law? If the congress has a legal right to see his tax records and he refuses, they can impeach him for abuse of power. To date no impeachment has eventuated.

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that there are safeguards concerning releasing personal data that even congress can not over rule. The IRS know what is in his records and it's their job to do something about it if there is anything criminal discovered. That they have not indicates to me that no such irregularity has been discovered, but then I don't think that he must have done something illegal, as many posters apparently do. If nothing has come out of a 2 year investigation with wide ranging powers and a multi million $ budget I doubt there is much to find, regardless of the anti Trumper's belief that there must be something, if only more "things" can be investigated .

a legal demand from Congress to the IRS for tax records.

Really? If there is a legal right for congress to see tax records, will you link to it please. Personally, I doubt there is such a "law".

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Really? If there is a legal right for congress to see tax records, will you link to it please. Personally, I doubt there is such a "law".

Doubt away - https://www.npr.org/2018/10/11/656610711/congress-really-can-demand-and-get-trumps-tax-returns-here-s-how

On the other hand - https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/04/04/why-congress-might-not-get-trumps-tax-returns-226571

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

when I file my taxes I’m done with any auditing.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What idiocy is it to believe an individual audits their taxes after submission?!

Um, the IRS does the auditing, not the individual. Thats how it works in the United States. 

And Audits are typically done after returns are filed, and go back years if they want to. 

And the IRS has some of the most stroke of any federal agency, so instead of allowing the IRS to do their job, the left wants to use the tax returns as political ammunition. Thats actually illegal, and most likely wont hold water in court - no matter how they frame it. 

Unless the left can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump committed a crime, they wont be getting his taxes. 

I understand that this is going to hurt alot of the lefts feelings, but the US still has the rule of law. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just don't get this Income Tax  brouhaha. If there were ever issues, they have already been reconciled. You're not gonna see any illegal stuff, even if it was once proffered. It will have been rejected, argued and reconciled by now. There might be some embarassing stuff showing a Scrooge like person, but would anybody find that shocking, really?

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

I just don't get this Income Tax  brouhaha.

Sure you do. 

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

There might be some embarassing stuff

This right here. Politics. The left wants the returns for political ammunition, and people are totally ok with this even on this very forum cheering and mocking it all the way.

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, are you suggesting that Trump is some sort of king, that he can disregard the law? If the congress has a legal right to see his tax records and he refuses, they can impeach him for abuse of power. To date no impeachment has eventuated.

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that there are safeguards concerning releasing personal data that even congress can not over rule. The IRS know what is in his records and it's their job to do something about it if there is anything criminal discovered. That they have not indicates to me that no such irregularity has been discovered, but then I don't think that he must have done something illegal, as many posters apparently do. If nothing has come out of a 2 year investigation with wide ranging powers and a multi million $ budget I doubt there is much to find, regardless of the anti Trumper's belief that there must be something, if only more "things" can be investigated .

The IRS is understaffed and overwhelmed, and not looking crimes other than tax evasion.  Rich people can hire lawyers and accountants who can find many ways to hide illicit money.

Regarding the law:

(f) Disclosure to Committees of Congress(1) Committee on Ways and Means, Committeeon Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Tax-ation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any re-turn or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.   https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2011-title26/pdf/USCODE-2011-title26-subtitleF-chap61-subchapB-sec6103.pdf

Edited by heybruce
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Basically, Democrats, you release Hillary's 30,000 emails and I'll consider giving you my tax records.

Otherwise, Go fing pound sand up your rectum.

Hillary's emails have nothing to do with Trump's tax returns.  Once again (I'm sure it will be necessary to repeat this many times), Congress has the legal right to demand Trump's tax returns, the IRS has no legal right to refuse, and Trump has no legal right to interfere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Trump is still a citizen, and has the same privilege as anyone else. It's not a hard concept. 

Neither is it a difficult concept that Congress has the legal right to demand and examine Trump's tax returns.

When you choose public office, you give up many of the privacy privileges of average citizens.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Neither is it a difficult concept that Congress has the legal right to demand and examine Trump's tax returns.

When you choose public office, you give up many of the privacy privileges of average citizens.

Dude, congress cant just demand a persons tax returns without a valid reason, and that reason has to be solid. There isnt going to be a way to frame this in a legitimate way that isn't political attacks. 

When you become president, you dont lose "privacy privileges" lmao you're just making stuff up now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO there is no such thing as real transparency when it comes to politics.

And therein lies the problem. All the past incidents of egregious abuse should have been properly investigated, but the laws of the land allow most to be politically swept under the proverbial carpet. This must stop on both side if the citizens are to enjoy true freedom and democracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL, that's called "fishing", and Trump ain't stupid enough to fall for it.

“Fishing”... interesting metaphor.

”Fishing” in colloquial law enforcement actually means dangling bait and waiting for a criminal to swipe it. Not at all what happened.

In this case law enforcement was working off the equivalent of a “tip” or public complaint, which they are compelled to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thainesss said:

So when it’s convenient a prez is just a regular citizen, and also when it’s convenient a prez is protected by executive privilege... do you see the absurdity in that?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I just don't get this Income Tax  brouhaha. If there were ever issues, they have already been reconciled. You're not gonna see any illegal stuff, even if it was once proffered. It will have been rejected, argued and reconciled by now. There might be some embarassing stuff showing a Scrooge like person, but would anybody find that shocking, really?

The tax brouhaha is because they just lost over the Mueller report and have to come up with something else to attack Trump with.

It's just a political witch hunt.

13 minutes ago, mikebike said:

And therein lies the problem. All the past incidents of egregious abuse should have been properly investigated, but the laws of the land allow most to be politically swept under the proverbial carpet. This must stop on both side if the citizens are to enjoy true freedom and democracy.

Don't hold your breath. Congress ain't going to vote in a law that could find a lot of them in trouble. Some people in congress appear to have amassed assets beyond what their salary would pay for.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mikebike said:

So when it’s convenient a prez is just a regular citizen, and also when it’s convenient a prez is protected by executive privilege... do you see the absurdity in that?

No. It's not the person of the president that is protected by executive privilege, it's the office. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

It seems Congress wants to see the returns in case they reveal anything broader than specific tax code crimes.

• Like 1