Why are flights out of Thailand dearer ?

superal

18 hours ago, nrasmussen said:
19 hours ago, owl sees all said:
It's all to do with the curvature of the earth. Going from east to west is faster than going from west to east. The Finlanders fly over the north pole so it's roughly the same both ways.

Actually, it's the jet stream that makes going in one direction faster than going in the other direction.

Pretty sure it's because it takes an extra hour travelling from Thailand to London ????

On 4/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, Vacuum said:

They can't fill all the seats (for obvious reasons), so they double the price of tickets.

I fly back too the U.K. 4 times a year, the planes have very few seats if any available. I have contacted Emirates on numerous occasions asking why, no one could answer me. 

Fortunately I fly U.K. to Thailand but I had too book my G.F. and son Thailand too the U.K. fare was £200 more per person.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I fly back too the U.K. 4 times a year, the planes have very few seats if any available. I have contacted Emirates on numerous occasions asking why, no one could answer me. 

Fortunately I fly U.K. to Thailand but I had too book my G.F. and son Thailand too the U.K. fare was £200 more per person.

Your case is a prime example and must be bewildering to you . Mine is just for a single fare but the costs for say a family will soar . 

I am thinking if there is a " Consumer Protection " company who could find the reasons for the price differentials which by any stretch of the imagination are significant , or at the very least have the flight companies qualify and justify the fare structure .

A Google search brought up the same topic in 2009 and from the TVF . One of the most believable theories is pasted below .

It's to do with marketing and popularity of the return routing.

There's going to be more return trips UK-BKK-UK than BKK-UK-BKK so more competition for the UK (Europe) market as Thailand is a backpacker/cheap exoic destination but the passengers originating in BKK are going to be rich Thais or rich Farangs who can be made to pay more.

• Confused 1

On 4/5/2019 at 1:54 PM, owl sees all said:

It's all to do with the curvature of the earth. Going from east to west is faster than going from west to east. The Finlanders fly over the north pole so it's roughly the same both ways.

Air France....Paris/B'kok.  Duration of flight 11.10 hours.

B'kok/Paris.  Duration of flight 13.05 hours.

It is a different flight route.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 2:52 PM, CLS said:

It‘s the the economy, stupid.
Someone that flies to Europe and starts his journey in TH must usually be well-off as they already have met the requirements for Schengen/UK visa. The airlines know that and so can ask for higher airfares.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think this is the reason also. Think about it, thousands of ordinary working people fly to Thailand from the UK, europe etc., not particularly wealthy but a Thai going the other way will need to be wealthy (in Thai terms) or have a financial sponsor.

Edited by cme

10 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Pretty sure it's because it takes an extra hour travelling from Thailand to London ????

That's what the Thais tell you ????

Yes you're right. After 40+ trips I should have got that right ????

Edited by Chelseafan

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I do not disagree. I was talking about walking around the world at the north pole.

Well, you seem to still disagree. Whether it is the Equator, the North or South Pole or across the state of Kansas the math is still the same. The rotational speed of the Earth has no effect. A mile is still a mile.  Distance divided by speed = travel time, not "time travel". 

You probably think water circles the drain in the same direction everywhere on Earth too.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:12 PM, wgdanson said:

So you mean there are more coming from UK to BKK than the other way round. I thought the number of folk staying in Thailand was going down. And tourists have to get back home.

Generally they drop fares to try and fill seats. If the plane is normally full the price goes up. Please reread the original post with this in mind.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:52 PM, CLS said:

It‘s the the economy, stupid.
Someone that flies to Europe and starts his journey in TH must usually be well-off as they already have met the requirements for Schengen/UK visa. The airlines know that and so can ask for higher airfares.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

More or less right

• If you travel from Europe to Thailand you WANT to..if you travel from Thailand to Europe you are wealthy or NEED to
  • Many Airlines start in UK  here its a stopover less seats to fill
  • From memory airlines cannot drastically undercut countries own airline THAI
  • Also Even from UK you can get really cheap return flights of say 3 weeks to month duration in Thailand try i for 10/11 month stay here whoops prices thunder up

Airlines know all this and factor in prices accordingly 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:19 AM, owl sees all said:

If you have a bowl of water and put your hand in and swish it around fast. After a few seconds all the water molecules are racing around the inside the bowl at lets say 3 revolutions a second; except the molecule at the exact centre that simple turns through 360 degrees. The molecules of water are all moving, but as we get out to the side of the bowl (as opposed to the middle), they move faster.

The basis of the IVG(infinitely variable gearbox), a ball bearing mounted at the centre of a spinning disc does not rotate, output depends on the direction and distance moved.

In early inertial navigation systems the differential equations were solved by the use of multiple IVGs, one for each parameter.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 6:27 PM, Chivas said:

Always been the same OP for as long as I can remember

Quite. A few years back I was sat next to my wife on a flight to the UK. I was on the return leg of a UK ticket and she was on the outbound leg of a Thai return ticket.

My ticket cost £500 and hers was £700.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Are you really surprised?

On the way to Thailand planes are full with 9x percent of tourists/short time visitors.

On the return the planes are full with the same people returning.

And there simply is no mass market (yet) for Thai tourists going overseas.

The typical airlines that serve Thai tourists (AirAsia, ThaiSmile and others) operate no further than the Asian region (India, China, SEA countries).

AirAsiaX from Kuala Lumpur serves Australia but nothing else overseas.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

On the way to Thailand planes are full with 9x percent of tourists/short time visitors.

The typical airlines that serve Thai tourists (AirAsia, ThaiSmile and others) operate no further than the Asian region (India, China, SEA countries).

In my experience TG flights to Australia have a substantial proportion of passengers transiting Thailand from India.  The relatively few Thais appear mostly to be students rather than tourists

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

I have contacted Emirates on numerous occasions

BTW Emirates is indeed an extreme example in terms of price.

Their return flights from Thailand are way overpriced compared the the other direction.

I often do some search/compare prices to Germany and Emirates is completely out of bounds (like 38k and more)

Qatar must be fighting. They now offer competitive prices, like 25k to Germany where they asked 42k (!) before.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 6:54 PM, owl sees all said:

No, it's not that. Finlanders don't go over the north pole from Thailand look at the flight paths on Flightradar24 or flightaware, they're about the same in both directions for all routes.

You are talking about wind patterns - the gulf stream explains why it's much faster to travel from the US to Europe, than from Europe to the US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's correct Thais still don't travel much despite having a large middle class and being much wealthier than say Vietnamese. Why is that? However, in recent years Thais like sheep have all stepped onto the "let's go to Japan" bandwagon and now about a million of them are traveling there. Having a 15-day visa waiver is one of the main reasons for this, plus Thais LOVE dressing up like eskimos to experience cold weather and Sakura flowers.

However, Thais don't visit Australia in large numbers probably because 1) it's expensive and 2) they need a visa, which is difficult to get and 3) there is not a large diaspora of Thais living in Australia (though there are a few Thais, who have stayed on in Australia after finishing their studies and Thai wives of Aussies). Thai students are often seen on flights to/from Australia, but usually just before/around the beginning and end of the university academic semesters. Students from nearby countries that choose to fly THAI can also be seen on these flights but generally speaking, except for the small number of Lao, Cambodian and Burmese students, the other nationalities tend to fly their airlines (like Vietnam Airlines, Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines). Also, Chinese students fly directly on their airlines or on Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong.

Air Asia X is starting flights from Don Muang to Brisbane in June and I expect some Thai travelers will be onboard in addition to budget minded Aussies. Jetstar probably attracts more Aussie backpackers and relatively few Thais. On flights to/from Phuket, other than the Thai spouses of Aussies, you probably don't see many Thai tourists for some reason.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Finlanders don't go over the north pole from Thailand look at the flight paths on Flightradar24 or flightaware

Or buy a globe as I have :biggrin:

I don't want to kill the entertaining discussion but really they have nothing to do with reality.

Most flights to Europe would not be able/allowed to take the shortest route as it goes over the Himalayan and Tibet. Himalayan too dangerous. Tibet forbidden/closed.

And since the latest Pakistan/Indian war games even worse: no flight must cross the Indian/Pakistan border, so all flights going south of Pakistan (another detour).

Afghanistan airspace empty!

Difference in flight times determined by jetstream (headwind/tailwind).

And of course west (Europe) to east (Asia) usually much faster (not the other way round).

North pole: very few routes go over or near the north pole and surely no Europe/South East Asia flight. Would be a big useless detour. The Fins advertise their "Russia route" but still have to fly south of Pakistan now. Still the shortest nonstop to a Schengen country as far as I know.

Pole flights are Asia/USA nonstop e.g. like the "famous" Singapore/New York.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

In my experience TG flights to Australia have a substantial proportion of passengers transiting Thailand from India.  The relatively few Thais appear mostly to be students rather than tourists 

That's right and has been the case for many years. Not just India but also Pakistan and Bangladesh. The latter two can be explained because Thai is one of the only East Asian airlines that flies to Pakistan serving 3 destinations there - strangelty, Singapore Airlines doesn't fly there at all, while THAI operates 2 daily flights to/from Dhaka. It's Indian network is extensive meanwhile there is only one daily direct flight from India (Delhi) to Sydney/Melbourne on Air India that has only been operating since relatively recently (2-3 years). Should Air India start offering direct services from other cities like Mumbai and Chennai to Australia, then you'll probably start seeing a shift of Indians from THAI to Air India.

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Or buy a globe as I have :biggrin:

I don't want to kill the entertaining discussion but really they have nothing to do with reality.

Most flights to Europe would not be able/allowed to take the shortest route as it goes over the Himalayan and Tibet. Himalayan too dangerous. Tibet forbidden/closed. 

And since the latest Pakistan/Indian war games even worse: no flight must cross the Indian/Pakistan border, so all flights going south of Pakistan (another detour).

Afghanistan airspace empty! 

Difference in flight times determined by jetstream (headwind/tailwind).

And of course west (Europe) to east (Asia) usually much faster (not the other way round).

North pole: very few routes go over or near the north pole and surely no Europe/South East Asia flight. Would be a big useless detour. The Fins advertise their "Russia route" but still have to fly south of Pakistan now. Still the shortest nonstop to a Schengen country as far as I know.

Pole flights are Asia/USA nonstop e.g. like the "famous" Singapore/New York.

Yes, exactly what I just stated except in far fewer words. It's the jetstream (I said "wind patterns" which is basically the same thing and what I meant). I also referred to the gulfstream over the North Atlantic.

Flights from SE Asia to Europe have tended to fly via India, Pakistan and Afghanistan/central Asia with flights to Finland and northern Europe going over Russia and flights to other destinations over India, Pak and Afghanistan and then Turkmenistan across the Caspian sea towards southern Ukraine or Bulgaria/Romania and then onto the rest of Europe.

Now I think they pass just south of Pakistan and then up through Iran and then back onto the same path.

Indeed going over the north pole would be a big useless detour. Only ME-West Coast USA flights tend to do this. Other Europe/North American flights pass over Iceland or Greenland but not over the North Pole.

• Like 1

About flight routes. Two examples.

First is Finnair to Helsinki who have decided to go North via China.

Second is BA to Heathrow. Quite a detour and none of their flight during the last seven days was even close to schedule.

They are all fighting to find a proper route with this ongoing closure India/Pakistan.

bkkhel.jpg

bkklhr.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Ah yes, that's right, the north cutting through central China while avoiding Tibet route or the southern one like I mentioned, south of Pakistan through Iran.

When heading from Laos or Thailand into China ALL flights, whether they are just Thailand-China flights, or flights heading onto central Asia or northern Europe/Moscow etc. fly across Laos to Yunnan and never over Myanmar territory. Why is that? I didn't think Myanmar territory was closed - or could it be because if you fly straight north from Myanmar you end up in Tibet?

On 4/6/2019 at 12:43 PM, Griffo63 said:

It’s about competition. More people want to travel to Bangkok from UK and Europe (starting point) than want to travel from Bangkok (starting point)  to UK and Europe.   So airlines have to be competitive to fill planes

HUH: if that was true, than within xxx years everyone would be in Bangkok and europe would be empty.

Thailand does not have to abide by any rules, hence airfares are more

Air France....Paris/B'kok.  Duration of flight 11.10 hours.

B'kok/Paris.  Duration of flight 13.05 hours.

It is a different flight route.

LOL:
every here of jet streams??

anytime ur flying AGAINST the wind it will take more time plus eat up more fuel

Edited by phuketrichard

Nothing to do with jet streams. On the full service airlines tickets are priced using very accurate historical data and yield management. The carriers charge different prices for journeys originating from different countries. Even within the US it might be cheaper for competition reasons to fly from Boston to Bakersfield with a stop in Los Angeles than flying on the same plane from Boston to LA. Some people buy these tickets and just get off in LA no checked bags. It is against airline policy and somebody even got sued for starting a website that exploits these fares.

• Thanks 1