Thai Immigration check Bangkok

35 minutes ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Pfft, classified as 'The Possessor' - please find evidence that if you are renting you will be classified as anything requiring you to pay the fine. Its hilarious you are trying to find a legal clause to this when the obvious fact is that there is none, its that they're lazy and don't want to chase the owner. Thats it full stop, you don't even have to agree to pay the fine - the punishment is.... they won't do any work for you in immigration thats it

Lots of armchair lawyers up in here

Alright, you know best, have it your own way!

If you are required by immigration to pay a fine, try flashing your law degree at them when they are in possession of your passport! 

Another for the jerk ignore group.

1 hour ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Well the fine would not be on me by law anyway, it's on the condo owner. What I was worried about is the sudden 'foreigner being fined when they're too lazy to chase the owner' we were hearing on the forums.

Have a look at the full title of a TM30 document,

NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED

Its not just the owners responsibility, once you take on a long term lease etc you are the possessor and just as liable.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Have a look at the full title of a TM30 document,

NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED

Its not just the owners responsibility, once you take on a long term lease etc you are the possessor and just as liable.

Yes, this is correct. As a renter, if your landlord doesn't make the report, evidently you are liable also now, as is your wife if you are married. Whoever is the possessor of any property where you are at is the responsible party. And, if you keep multiple residences, it gets even more messy. I was just fined yesterday 800 baht by immigration yesterday on this point. And, if you are not in full compliance you cannot get any other services from immigration, such as proof of residence or other things.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Someone is telling lies the fine in Chiang Mai is 1600 baht and they honor a 7 day grace period for 24 hour reporting of TM30. It is now no big deal.

No-one is telling lies... OK, 1600 Baht...mixing it up with a visa extension cost of 1900...I read that comment recently on visa thread about someone getting hassled for not going in on Saturday vs Monday.