Hi-so Or Lo-so

Neeranam

A recent experience made me wonder about who is happier/richest.

A few years on, my hi-so daughter was born at Bamrungrad international hospital in Bkk. Having a child is a truly wonderful experience, but the other patients there were not very friendly or happy. One Cambodian in the next room was one of the most miserable people I've ever met. Some those arabs were not much better. The hospital was terrible - run like a business and ripping us off. 70,000 baht total.

Last week my lo-so daughter was born in a government hospital in Khon Kaen. What a marvelous experience. From parking the car, getting invited to eat with some of the people camping out on their straw mats, it was great. Everyone smiling - even those who had just had a limb removed! Instead of a single room my wife was in a ward with another 20 women babies and extended families - what a crack. Anyone who knows Isarn people will understand what I mean. price - absolutely nothing!

A few years ago I was dating a hi-so girl 28(politician now), who picked me up in her brand new BMW. The first time we met she was opening her new shops on khao san road and Sukhumvit 39, and all the nobs were there. It was a very dull night with lots of pretentious <deleted> around. I used to go to places like the RBSC with friends and the people at those places never really looked as though they were enjoying themselves, and they had all the money in the world.

I had another girlfriend who was a maid from Ubon - we used to out with her friends to the Isarn dancing places in Nonthaburi. Everyone had a whale of a time.

That's my experience - hi-so - miserable, lo-so happy. What's yours?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just in Thailand. It applies the world over. Many seriously rich people have real problems enjoying themselves; if they've had money all their lives they have no perspective. Newly-rich people seem to be able to enjoy it a little more. If you're poor, you have nothing to lose and everything is a bonus already. :o

Well, it all depends on the crowds, I've been with hi-so types and couldn't have a second of fun and I've also been with rich types and had tons of fun, the same goes for lo-so types. It depends on each educations and habits.

yep I agree with Alex don't think you can generalise so much like this, have met more than a few HISO types with money that more than know how to have a good time and met more than a few miserable LOSO types also

Disagree slightly, you can't stereotype but you can generalise.

In a previous life in the UK I associated with the 'upper section' of society for a while and the few times I saw them really enjoying themselves had to be fuelled by copious amounts of alcohol.

Out here, especially in Isaan, the happiness factor is predominant, not total, but predominant.

The example Neeranam gives of the hospital trip is a very good one. I've paid more than a couple of visits to the local ones for a variety of reasons, and the mood is mostly up-beat.

(Congrats on the new arrival btw Mr Nee)

yep I agree with Alex don't think you can generalise so much like this, have met more than a few HISO types with money that more than know how to have a good time and met more than a few miserable LOSO types also

Disagree slightly, you can't stereotype but you can generalise......

Okay, then I'll generalize a bit, and the first generalization is to say that I disagree completely with all this myth-of-the-happy-peasant stuff. It's not even a particularly original claim. You can find multiple strains of the same, ridiculously romantic nonsense running through most societies all the way back to the Middle Ages. And they always proved to be quite wrong. Always.

Disagree slightly, you can't stereotype but you can generalise......

Okay, then I'll generalize a bit, and the first generalization is to say that I disagree completely with all this myth-of-the-happy-peasant stuff. It's not even a particularly original claim. You can find multiple strains of the same, ridiculously romantic nonsense running through most societies all the way back to the Middle Ages. And they always proved to be quite wrong. Always.

I was just thinking the same.

The poorer folk I know, do nothing, have nothing, are very bored, and have very little in life to enjoy. They smile and are often kind people, but they'd like more (for their children, if not themselves). They are not happy people.

The rich folk I know, do a lot, they have a lot, are not bored, and have a lot in life to enjoy. Some, smile, some don't, some are kind, some are not, they have a lot in life to enjoy.

Poor Thais (the ones I know) - sit inside their small home watching TV. They have never seen the sea, but would like to one day.

Rich Thais (the ones I know) - show me their fantastic pictures of their latest trip around Europe. They haven't been to Cairo yet, but theey're going next month.

Obviously, rich folk sometimes lose focus on the small things that can make them very happy, but generally they are much, much happier people. And with good reason.

So what is your experience of hi so and lo so Thais?

Hi-so happier?

Who is happier? Dogs or Cats? Then again, who cares? Spend less time with these silly hypothetical questions that solve nothing, and more time helping your fellow man. My wife and I read books to the orphans down the street. I am mid-so, lol, and that made me happy (made them happy too).

Newly-rich people seem to be able to enjoy it a little more.

I hate the newly rich...in most cases the money has not been obtained through any kind of honest work and I think there are few worse eyesores than a person with lots of money and no education/decency.

Ultimately, I feel that it's the overall combination of factors at a certain time that can make things fun or not. For me, the place, atmosphere and people around all contribute to (or can ruin) the overall feel.

Money aside, I think people can be mentally hi-so or lo-so and as long as the circumstances match the mindset, everything is OK...it's when there is a clear gap between appearances and substance that things get annoying very quickly (at least for me).

A recent experience made me wonder about who is happier/richest.

That's my experience - hi-so - miserable, lo-so happy. What's yours?

Please believe I was poor in Pakistan no food no water no doctors its better to be rich.

Half the world is like that I bet you never meet a poor person. I hope you never are like that its terrible Also its terrible to think they are happy.

Edited by HenryB

Been poor, very poor. Am well off now, & working hard to improve my position.

Hi so, lo so - couldn't give a rats, I have fun with whatever circles I run with. No fun - change to what you need.

I'll let you in my circle - if you have heaps of expensive toys - real man's toys - fast toys - big toys - tech toys.

Yep, my needs don't really have a "so" to fit into. Lo so calls it a waste of money. Hi so calls it childish. Whatever.....

Soundman.

Met a Thai couple in their 80's a couple days ago that were very hi-so from well-known families, educated abroad, served in the diplomatic corp in Washington DC, Paris, Switzerland, etc. It was their 60th wedding anniversary and they were very happy. Many people with a lot of money are miserable, but I'd have to say the moaning and whining of the middle classes is pretty loud these days. Anyone posting on this forum is for sure in the top 20% of income earners in the world, the upper crust, and the whinging is pretty noticable. Neeranam's description of the two hospital scene's is pretty telling. That said, if by some mistake, he had been overcharged 70,000 baht at the govt hospital and given the Bumrungrad experience for free his memories might be different! Anyway, congrats on #2 and continue to enjoy your beautiful family in Thailand!

Hi-so happier?

It doesn't work that way. Happiness is in yourself. Not in your possessions, or lack of them.

I have not expererienced be as poor as HernyB from Pakistand described. I doubt few Americans have or do. Thanks to taxes and a welfare program.... But I have been on the brink of going broke. I was right out of college, around 20K USD in debt. (credit cards and school loans)

I remember those days without fondness. The wealthy have a choice, to be happy or to be sad. The poor do not have a choice. I would rather be wealthy thank you very much. At this very point, I have a good bit saved up, and I do not worry about money. I ceased worrying about money since I was around 31 years old. Am I happier than when I was on the verge of being broke? Well, I worry less...

One thing I love about Thailand, is I never have seen so many people so seemingly contented. The natural position of their faces when their muscles are at rest is a smile. I've seen this in both hi-so and lo-so types. I'm a so-so who's pretty happy, but I wish I had that smile....

Hi-so happier?

It doesn't work that way. Happiness is in yourself. Not in your possessions, or lack of them.

Agreed. Wealth is just an accesory. I've met happy people and sad people from all the different backgrounds...Happiness is just like luck, you have to build it with your own hands and resources, add a little brain to it and here you go...

Hi-so happier?

Agreed. Wealth is just an accesory. I've met happy people and sad people from all the different backgrounds...Happiness is just like luck, you have to build it with your own hands and resources, add a little brain to it and here you go...

Sorry, but I don't agree.

If we were all happy little monks in caves, then happiness might well come from within. But..

Poor scenario - When you are starving, your children have died from disease and hunger, you have nowhere to live, you don't know where your next meal is coming from etc, etc (you get the idea) - you are highly likely to be unhappy.

Rich scenario - When you are being driven in your bentley, with a beautiful wife beside you (she is happy too!), you're on your way home to your luxury mansion, returning from your luxury holiday home, no worries with the kids because they are at the best boarding school, getting the best education, when you get home your cook will have a great meal ready for you, etc, etc (you get the idea) - you are more likely to be happy.

This does not hold true for 100% of people in the World, but it does for the vast majority, say 97%.

What some people on this thread have missed is that we are all in that 3%. (the wealthy)

Edited by jasreeve17

Hi-so happier?

Sorry, but I don't agree.

If we were all happy little monks in caves, then happiness might well come from within. But..

Poor scenario - When you are starving, your children have died from disease and hunger, you have nowhere to live, you don't know where your next meal is coming from etc, etc (you get the idea) - you are highly likely to be unhappy.

Rich scenario - When you are being driven in your bentley, with a beautiful wife beside you (she is happy too!), you're on your way home to your luxury mansion, returning from your luxury holiday home, no worries with the kids because they are at the best boarding school, getting the best education, when you get home your cook will have a great meal ready for you, etc, etc (you get the idea) - you are more likely to be happy.

This does not hold true for 100% of people in the World, but it does for the vast majority, say 97%.

What some people on this thread have missed is that we are all in that 3%. (the wealthy)

Ok, please define poor...Being poor doesn't necessarily mean that your kids are dieing or having diseases, mind you, there are a lot of poor people healthier than some of us all are (no money for pizzas, hamburgers, all kinds of steaks and junk food, not mentioning popular drink in excess), being poor doesn't mean you don't have a place to sleep in, anyway, there are many different stages of being poor, same goes for the rich people. Those rich people can have marriage problems, associates, partners, staff and targets to please, your kids might be in a boarding school, but we have all kind of problems there too, suicides, gambling, drugs, not very happy scenarios.

It's a very complex and spreaded subject. Many of those rich people came from poor backgrounds and BTW, in this case, define rich...

I think you're being too sentimental about it, as I've already stated, I've seen rich people and poor people, being either happy or sad. Do you make a cancer diagnosed man a happy man, no matter if he's rich or poor. What about a widow or a man who just lost his kid, maybe eben both? What makes you thinks he's happy?

Poor scenario - When you are starving, your children have died from disease and hunger, you have nowhere to live

You don't see much of that in Thailand, regardless of what the beggars would have you believe.

Poor scenario - When you are starving, your children have died from disease and hunger, you have nowhere to live

You don't see much of that in Thailand, regardless of what the beggars would have you believe.

That's right, also, I haven't seen people starving in Thailand, really, not even one. Very poor thais usually have access to some food, let alone beggars, toy'll be surprised in what kind of houses these people live, some of them even drive decent cars or even more.

The wealthy have a choice, to be happy or to be sad. The poor do not have a choice.

Best summary so far. Only I'd say that the wealthy have choices. The poor have far fewer choices.

I have accompanied my maids to Sirikit Hospital (government), and have visited more than a few people at Phra Mongkut Hospital (government). I otherwise regularly use Vichaiyuth and Vejthani (both second tier private compared to Bamrungrad). As for the gov't hospitals mentioned... often you'll find the restrooms are dirty and smell of feces and urine. The wait is often 2-3 hours for them to see the doctor for about 7-8 minutes. The latter, the doctors know us by name, there's internet access/pretty good food, the wait is around 10-20 minutes and often there is none, and there's no rushed atmosphere at all (mostly because there aren't 50-60+ more people for your doctor to see that day). Sure, you can be happy at the former... but really, which would you choose?

Now consider that it's a similar comparison for virtually every single aspect of life for you and your family. Housing, nourishment, education, travel, transport, etc. The wealthy can always see and experience the other side. The poor can more often than not SEE the other side but never experience it.

:o

I remember the American lady who said "I've been rich

and I've been poor and let me tell ya - rich is better".

Or the odious young tykes making megabucks in the

financial markets who would say "happiness can't buy

you money".

:o

I have to agree with the poster. When I was a kid in high school I worked at a gas station for many years. The poor customers would come in and chat up conversations, make us laugh, etc. Often times the bikers (even Hells Angels) would come in and one would pay gas for everybody. They even lent a hand to strangers. Sometimes they would even give us a tip.

On the other hand, the hi-so were the most rude customers were ever faced. They would complain about everything, always in a hurry, and sometimes threatened to get us fired if we didn't bow to their needs.

Later in life I played professionally as a musician in the San Francisco area. By far, the small low-paying lo-so pubs were the most fun with the happiest friendliest easy going people. The hi-so weddings and corporate events paid big money but we all hated the gigs because of the attitude and constant complaints of the clients.

Edited by kyb789

It's not hard to understand.

Poor people have less options, especially when they have serious difficulty, which of course they are more likely to have. It gives them stress and unhapiness.

My missus family are poor. They are not happy, as they have very little to be happy about.

My work colleagues are hiso (I hate that type of talk...) and they are very happy. With good reason; they have a lot of money to enjoy their life.

Alexth, why are you defending a pointless, romantic lie? You usually post so reasonably.

Closer to home, when in Romania, living in a small and very poor village, my girlfriend was still a lovely person and tried to look on the bright side, but there was very little to be happy about. When she was in London or Munich earning a higher salary, with a better quality of life, afforded to her by the higher income, she was much happier.

Rich people do not want to be poor - they want to be rich and happy.

Poor people would like to be rich, and happy.

Actually, it's quite rude and patronizing to suggest that poor people are happier. It's exactly that kind of attitude which keeps these hiso's in their opressive and privilidged positions.