Retirement vs.Marriage Visa

2 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Have done both. Retirement, far simpler.Because of recent changes, if you can afford to leave 800,000 in the bank all year, then it is retirement for sure. 

"if you can afford to leave 800,000 in the bank all year".  That's fine, but just make sure your wife does not get into debt and has debtors chasing after her, because if she doesn't pay up, they will come to you, then BANG goes some or all of your 800.000 Baht. ????

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Justin Side said:

Marriage extension is no hardship to do and requires less money in the bank or monthly income.

Takes a month to get the result as the application is sent to the regional headquarters (not necessarily Bangkok) to be ratified.

Don't listen to negative people on here.

It really is quite a simple process. 

Simple for some but not for others. This is Thailand.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

I've had retirement to marriage & back to retirement. IMHO retirement is the way to go. The local IO thinks so as well.

Of course he/she does, it is a lot less work for them as well as you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gmac said:

An earlier post mentioned having to take 2 people, presumably at least one being Thai, with you to confirm that you are actually married and living together.  If this is the case I would would think it rather difficult to get said witnesses to visit immigration with you if you live way out in the sticks as I do.

I have read posts on here of people in a similar position to you who took a couple of villager neigbours with their ID cards and bought them lunch on the way back as a thank you - doesn't sound like a big deal.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jaggg88 said:

I have read posts on here of people in a similar position to you who took a couple of villager neigbours with their ID cards and bought them lunch on the way back as a thank you - doesn't sound like a big deal.

It is not a big deal.

Some trolls just like to turn it into one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

They may need to bring house-book copies, also.  Higher-ranking villagers may need slightly more encouragement, but can also have more "pull" in such cases.  How much "pull" is needed depends on how farang-friendly and relatively-honest the particular immigration office is.

10 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

The neighbours that we know in our village all work which would make taking them with us a little more of a big deal than just lunch, maybe a couple of days wages as well.  Not sure I could afford an oil workers daily wage.  

The retirement route really is my route of least resistance!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On the Banking issue I opened an account at Bangkok Bank in Pak Chong (Lotus Tesco). At first they wouldn't do it, and I showed them an email from their Head Office saying it was fine, so then they made it a joint account with my Thai wife without telling me. Immigration refused to accept a joint account, but decently gave me an extension to sort it out. I then went 50 metres to K Bank who opened a account without any bother, straight away, and I transferred my money. I wrote to Bangkok Bank complaining, and after a long wait I got a dishonest letter that totally misrepresented the situation.  So it all depends on the competence of the individual bank manger!

So I guess the moral is try another bank and steer clear of Bangkok Bank, especially Lotus Tesco, Pak Chong!

16 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Have done both. Retirement, far simpler.Because of recent changes, if you can afford to leave 800,000 in the bank all year, then it is retirement for sure. 

I can afford to but do not want to , it means i have to bring over yet more money in case of an emergency ,

• Like 1

I have always obtained a retirement extension as I believe it is easier and issued at the time of application.

The alternative to having to have 800.000. baht in the bank is to be able to show that you have one twelve of that amount being transferred into a Thai bank account from outside of Thailand each month for the previous year

Recent changes require that you obtain a letter from your bank confirming the transfers

As the Immigration office in each province seem to apply different rules and particularly in view of the recent changes you would be better placed to contact the head office in your province is order to ascertain the requirements for both the Retirement Extension/ Marriage visa in order to make a decision.

There is little point in relying on the experience of persons outside of your province.

In Chiang Mai province where I live three expats I know who applied for the Marriage Visa were visited  at home by Immigration Officials the first time they applied.

6 hours ago, StevieAus said:

There is little point in relying on the experience of persons outside of your province.

In Chiang Mai province where I live three expats I know who applied for the Marriage Visa were visited  at home by Immigration Officials the first time they applied.

This is normal for the first application but I had recently a home visit for a fourth application and the guy was quite strict so myself/wife/witness were really careful what we said.

• Sad 1

Hi,  can anybodytell me how to get the police report for the Thailand O-A visa here in the US, I talked with the lady at the Thailand embassy in Washington DC, not much help, she told me do not make any mistakes or we will send it back, I ask how do I get the police report to satisfy the visa requirements, she told me to go the FBI and get a certified copy signed and notarize by the agent who did the criminal records check, went to the FBI web site they were asking for finger print cards and it will take up to 6 – 8 weeks. There must be a simpler way, could somebody explain the report and where to apply for it on online, price.  Please any help would be appreciated R. Jones

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

This is normal for the first application but I had recently a home visit for a fourth application and the guy was quite strict so myself/wife/witness were really careful what we said.

so sad...like an interrogation.  And all for what?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Riker65 said:

Hi,  can anybodytell me how to get the police report for the Thailand O-A visa here in the US, I talked with the lady at the Thailand embassy in Washington DC, not much help, she told me do not make any mistakes or we will send it back, I ask how do I get the police report to satisfy the visa requirements

You posted in the wrong topic. It would of been best to start a new topic.

You can get a police clearance from an authority in your home state. They are normally faster than the FBI.