"Please come back the devil has gone!" Traders' plea as tourists quit Thai rape/murder island

webfact

"Please come back the devil has gone!" Traders' plea as tourists quit Thai rape/murder island

1pm.jpg

Caption: Deserted (of tourists)

Traders on Koh Si Chang off the Chonburi coast have appealed to tourists to return to the holiday island. 

They have said that the bad guy - Ai Korn - is gone and there is nothing to fear. 

Thai Rath went to Koh Si Chang and found it almost completely deserted of Thai and foreign tourists following Sunday's rape and murder of a 26 year old German tourist.

Following the appalling crime, in which the victim was raped, hit in the face with a rock, dragged half alive for 50 meters then bludgeoned to death and hidden under rocks and bracken on a hillside, there was only a trickle of tourists yesterday.

Tourists had clearly heard the shocking news.

In custody and having admitted to committing the crime while high on amphetamines is Ronakorn, 23 - now dubbed in the Thai media as "Ai Korn". He came from the Tha Thewawong area of the island where Thai Rath interviewed traders yesterday. 

Rattiya Sangthong, 37, who runs a restaurant said that following the incident all the tourists upped and left en masse. 

"The bad guy has gone," she said, "Only the good guys are left". 

She said that in all her 37 years there had never been a murder of this nature on her island. In a message directed at tourists she begged:

"Please come back". 

Patcharee Thongpheng, 49, said: "It was a terrible crime. Since it happened I have been taking greater measures for my own personal protection. 

Despite the fact that this was a one off, opportunistic crime she added:

"We are moving around in groups". 

Thaivisa notes that the term "Ai" is appended to serious criminals who commit despicable crimes. In this sense Ai Korn might translate a "The Devil Korn".

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-10

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope people do go back there. I have been with the family a few times now.

Great food, nice and peaceful living, and some lovely walks and views. My gf and kids love it.

Would be sad if these traders lost out on the back of the actions of a crazy nutter

1 minute ago, z42 said:

I hope people do go back there. I have been with the family a few times now.

Great food, nice and peaceful living, and some lovely walks and views. My gf and kids love it.

Would be sad if these traders lost out on the back of the actions of a crazy nutter

Yes, one person does something bad an all suffer. Just stupid its not as if the other people could control this nutter.

It would be different if it happened more and the locals were hiding the facts. This case nothing like that at all. The guy got arrested, locals actually quite angry with the guy. So why should they suffer.

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes, one person does something bad an all suffer. Just stupid its not as if the other people could control this nutter.

He was a meth addict running free. You can hardly blame people for worrying that the island is risky. I felt the same after the Koh Tao murders, despite them being 'attributed' to Burmese workers. 

I've been there twice. In fairness, its not the most attractive island. Massive ships passing back and forth from Lamchabaeng spoil the views. Beaches are definitely not a draw card. Food options and restaurants, nothing of note at all. There is a nice little palace thing that you can view in 10 minutes, and the massive oil tanks in the middle of the island make a nice change from the sparse vegetation cluttered with litter. 

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

He was a meth addict running free. You can hardly blame people for worrying that the island is risky. I felt the same after the Khao Tao murders, despite them being 'attributed' to Burmese workers. 

I don't blame the people for being worried at all, i just find it sad that the good suffer for his actions. Its not like they have to be punished by a boycot. But its understandable that they worry. I just don't see it as a bad thing that the traders worry and ask for return of people. Just like I don't see it as a bad thing people not going. (their choice)

Its just that some people want to punish innocents for crime of an loner. I could see it in Koh Tao as it seems to happen a lot there. One could say that the locals could do more.

I'm just waiting to hear from the legalise all drugs tv members but they've probably got their heads tucked in like a tortoise on this one.

i can say without a doubt the island isn't safe as there will be more than this one drug crazed monster living on the island.

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

He was a meth addict running free. You can hardly blame people for worrying that the island is risky.

You've never been to Pattaya then, huh? 

Or many cities in western countries where meth addicts also "run free"

Just now, SammyT said:

You've never been to Pattaya then, huh? 

Or many cities in western countries where meth addicts also "run free"

Silly boy, I live here. 

Have you not noticed at the top of the page that this is a Thai centric forum. 

9 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

I'm just waiting to hear from the legalise all drugs tv members but they've probably got their heads tucked in like a tortoise on this one.

i can say without a doubt the island isn't safe as there will be more than this one drug crazed monster living on the island.

So where is safe then?

You have never been there have you?

1 minute ago, sweatalot said:

never heard that happen in Koh Tao 

better now then never - still not too late

yes where is the outrage over Koh Tao?

I would not be surprised if some tourists left this island and went there instead.

I think it's always interesting when people visit or don't visit specific places because of one incident.

How many tourists visited that island every day?

How many were injured, murdered, had traffic accidents?

Is one murder, as bad as it is, a reason to believe the place is now so much worse than before?

Is it statistically more likely that now another rape and/or murder will happen anytime soon?

Most of us risk our lives every day just by using cars, bikes, cross the street, etc.

The risk to die on Thailand's streets is so much higher than above.

What's the point of staying away from a very small risk and at the same time taking much higher risks?

And that is of course not just a Thai phenomena.

So News this week in Foreign newspapers about Thailand , Death Penalty for taking pics on Phuket beach , Young girl raped and murdered on on island in Thailand , Retirees leaving because of new laws regarding keeping money in Thai bank . you have to hand it to Thailand ,they do know how to advertize how good it is here .????

54 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

The bad guy has gone , she said only the good guys are left.  Now where have I heard something like this before , seriously , not a Joke ?

So, the good guys are left as the bad guy is gone. Just waiting for the ugly guy to make an appearance then.

19 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

No, because if you legalize drugs and make sure people who are addicted can get adequate treatment then you will actually reduce the drug problem.  But I guess facts get in the way of emotions, right?

8 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

So where is safe then?

You have never been there have you?

Yes we all know nowhere is completely safe.why on earth do I have to visit there when the proof is it isn't a safe place.

great first post from you,keep it up and you'll soon get with the program.

maybe a bit of constructive input rather than trying to have a pathetic dig at me would be helpful.

5 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

great first post from you,keep it up and you'll soon get with the program.

maybe a bit of constructive input rather than trying to have a pathetic dig at me would be helpful.

Oh, the irony, can i ask where is your constructive input ?

And pray tell, where war on drugs has reduced violence and crime ?

The only real reason for the rise in crime is overpopulation, more people, more crimes.

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it statistically more likely that now another rape and/or murder will happen anytime soon

It is exactly the same statistically as it was previously, although one likely culprit has been removed.

13 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

No, because if you legalize drugs and make sure people who are addicted can get adequate treatment then you will actually reduce the drug problem.  But I guess facts get in the way of emotions, right?

Yes we could legalise drugs,let every tom,dick and Harry become useless junkies who never fully recover to lead a normal life and divert the medical needs of hospitals for these pathetic people who sold their souls.

as ive said before,just because the war on drugs is being lost it doesn't mean it isn't right to fight.giving in is the losers way out.

There is help out there for junkies but most if not all will only want help to find more drugs rather than treatment.you have to want to help yourself first but junkies are losers and that's the way it is.

oh and by the way I've smoked weed for over 30 years so I've seen it all and what hard drugs do to people and society.

when a country like Canada take a laid back approach to hard drugs they don't set up clinics to help them,they set up shooting galleries and supply them with the tools to carry on.

59 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes we could legalise drugs,let every tom,dick and Harry become useless junkies who never fully recover to lead a normal life and divert the medical needs of hospitals for these pathetic people who sold their souls.

as ive said before,just because the war on drugs is being lost it doesn't mean it isn't right to fight.giving in is the losers way out.

There is help out there for junkies but most if not all will only want help to find more drugs rather than treatment.you have to want to help yourself first but junkies are losers and that's the way it is.

oh and by the way I've smoked weed for over 30 years so I've seen it all and what hard drugs do to people and society.

when a country like Canada take a laid back approach to hard drugs they don't set up clinics to help them,they set up shooting galleries and supply them with the tools to carry on.

someone doesn't understand the concept of legalization and providing proper medical care to people who have a medical not a criminal condition. 

8 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

someone doesn't understand the concept of legalization and providing proper medical care to people who have a medical not a criminal condition. 

He admitted on another thread that he took meth and wanted sex.so in other words his medical condition led to his criminal condition.there is help in Thailand for people with no money and drug problems.You can go to the police and they will send you to a unit that will help.even better,go to the temple and they will help.this monster could of even paid for private treatment but instead spent the money on drugs and caved a poor innocent woman's head in with a rock and his bare hands for his own sexual gratification.For christs sake he half killed her,raped her then decided to finish her off.we cannot ever let people be out in society  on meth and say oh that's ok we can treat them.remember,prevention is always better than a cure.

11 minutes ago, Kim J said:

I have long been an advocate of such an approach, but on one condition. Addicts must first be removed from society and taken to a place where they help themselves to an endless supply of the substances they crave, that way they would only annoy each other rather than being a burden to and cause untold problems for the rest of society.

Eventually nature would take it's course, that for sure would be a win win situation don't you think? A bit like a self administered death sentence for the scum and a massive reduction in crime and antisocial behaviour for everyone else.

Yes I do agree but don't make it legal.them that want to help themselves deserve help.them that don't just need to learn the hard way.send them to a junkie prison,let them dig a hole 6ft deep and give them all they want.

Archived