'Very ill' Brit tourist, 25, stranded in Thai hospital as family appeal for help

webfact

On 4/10/2019 at 11:01 PM, gk10002000 said:

Even if she had travel insurance, every short term policy I used to take out ( I since stopped taking them out) only paid by reimbursement to you after you filed/submitted the claim.  So even if you had insurance the money to you could be a long time in coming.  I never found a single one that would directly reimburse the Thai hospital.  I am from the USA.  I have heard that there are some international or UK offered travel insurance that might reimburse the hospitals directly, but I have no direct knowledge of that.

Most short term travel insurances - especially European ones - directly reimburse the Thai hospitals. 

The websites of many international hospitals show with which insurances they have direct billing agreements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uhuh said:

Most short term travel insurances - especially European ones - directly reimburse the Thai hospitals. 

The websites of many international hospitals show with which insurances they have direct billing agreements. 

Name one of those insurance companies please.

UPDATE:

TRAPPED IN PARADISE 

Brit Instagram model backpacker, 25, has emergency spinal tap as Thai doctors struggle to diagnose mystery illness that left her stranded

Doctors think the 25-year-old backpacker's illness could be either meningitis or encephalitis

By Alahna Kindred

rf.jpg

Rebekah Fulton is in hospital in Phuket, Thailand battling a mystery illness

A BRITISH Instagram model had an emergency spinal tap as Thai doctors are struggling to diagnose her mystery illness that has left her stranded.

Rebekah Fulton, 25, is currently in hospital in Phuket where she became unwell just days before she was to start a new job in the country.

The backpacker is battling a serious infection, which doctors believe could be meningitis or encephalitis.

James Geddes, her father, has launched a GoFundMe in a desperate bid to fly his daughter home to Paisley, in Renfrewshire, Scotland for treatment.

He recently shared she underwent a lumber puncture, or a spinal tap, as doctors are scratching their heads for a diagnosis.

The 48-year-old wrote: “Thank you to everyone for their help so far and I have been asked to provide some sort of update.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8838888/brit-instagram-model-thailand-mystery-illness-stranded/

-- The SUN 2019-2019-04-12

RELATED: Make sure you're covered in case of a medical emergency in Thailand

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 6:15 AM, Chelseafan said:

I wish her the best of health but why do idiots like her travel without any insurance.?

Because they know that other idiots will bail them out via go fund me, if they get into trouble.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

In reaction to the various posts regarding her stupidity in not having travel insurance.

Well it's true, and stupid, but how many of us at 25 didn't think we were immortal?

Always had it from the early 90s when in my early 20s, still have it now at 50. These days with all the info on the net, it can be purchased online in two minutes for a couple of bucks a day. No excuses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He recently shared she underwent a lumber puncture, or a spinal tap, as doctors are scratching their heads for a diagnosis.

I sure hope she underwent a lumbar puncture, not a lumber one......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the recent update it says she had insurance:

Her current insurance became invalid recently due to her immigration status in Thailand as she has a NON-IMM visa with the right to work.

"I am led to believe that her work permit, which was due to be granted this week, would’ve entitled her to medical care in Thailand but sadly we were a week short."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, yogi100 said:

I suffered from Dengue Fever for three weeks in early December last year. I was treated at a clinic in Soi Bhukaow in  Pattaya then as an out patient on two separate occasions at the Pattaya City hospital. Total cost just under 3,000 baht. That included blood tests, examinations, some pills and a bag of vitamin drink powders similar to Berocca.

For me it was like having flu but it lasts a lot longer and makes you feel weak, awful and tired all the time. There is not much you can do about it just like the flu except take vitamin supplements and wait it out as you would the flu.

However they do say it kills 200,000 people every year mainly in the Indian sub continent. There is no cure for it and there is no tablet nor vaccine that can prevent it. From what I've read my case was not as bad as it could have been.

I got it from a mosquito bite while I was in Pattaya, not out in the boondocks. The hospital sent a pest control fellow round who sprayed my room a couple of times and I had to make myself scarce for the next hour. There was no charge for this so it shows the authorities are concerned about it affecting tourism as very little in the LOS is ever free.

It could be that this girl has a bad case of Dengue Fever.

I was bitten by one of the larger mosquitos in 2010. The bite was dirty and caused an infection which landed me in a Pattaya hospital. The Total cost for my four day hospital stay was over £2000 which incuded antibiotic drips, an MRI scan, various tablets, food and my private room. I paid 3000 baht and the rest was covered by my travel insurance. Even though I am very computer and internet savvy, I would never expect other people to bail me out via go fund me. Especially if like her, I had been travelling all over South East Asia! If she could afford to do that, then she should have had the money for medical insurance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sotonowl said:

Good call, them plastic surgeons are brilliant. Do you know the usa has more plastic surgeons than any other country? Really makes you wonder why doesn't it?

Do you mean it makes you wonder why more of them don't melt in the sun?

i suspect she will need far more than 25K, i have just spent 17 days in hospital to save my arm and probably my life from a flesh eating bacteria, the insurance bill is currently 685,000 baht and continuing. i wish her and the fund raising well

Edited by notamember

So stop dissect every word.
In no way are they racist remarks.
See racism where there is none, you have a very bad spirit.
Ben, the French are raleurs and pretentious (the Corsicans are lazy)
Italians speak very loudly and stir up the wind
The English spend their lives in pubs.
Blacks are black, whites are white, others are coffee with milk.
To you to complete the list.

Edited by sirocco

Some off topic trolling posts and replies have been removed.

A post containing comments on moderation has been removed. The following is from the forum rules:

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

For Thai doctors illness is mysterious.
Such a stupid derogatory comment..many Thai Consultants after obtaining their respective degree go to the UK..mainland europe..the USA..Canada and Australia to continue their studies.
Sadly I can only think that you speak through ignorance.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the recent update it says she had insurance:

Her current insurance became invalid recently due to her immigration status in Thailand as she has a NON-IMM visa with the right to work.

"I am led to believe that her work permit, which was due to be granted this week, would’ve entitled her to medical care in Thailand but sadly we were a week short."

" became invalid due to her blablabla etc.
Something " fishy " surely..a friend of mine has his own business here..all perfectly legal..he has private h/care the same as myself and many other expats in our neck of the woods.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app