Acknowledging frustration, Britain's May calls on parliament to deliver Brexit

webfact

Acknowledging frustration, Britain's May calls on parliament to deliver Brexit

2019-04-11T011410Z_1_LYNXNPEF3A036_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-MAY-STRASBOURG.JPG

FILE PHOTO: British Prime Minister Theresa May arrives for a news conference with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in Strasbourg, France March 11, 2019. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May acknowledged on Thursday there was "huge frustration" that she had to request a second delay to Brexit from the European Union, urging parliament to finally support her Brexit deal.

"I know that there is huge frustration from many people that I had to request this extension. The UK should have left the EU by now and I sincerely regret the fact that I have not yet been able to persuade parliament to approve the deal," she told a news conference.

"But the choices we now face are stark and the timetable is clear. So we must now press on at pace with our efforts to reach consensus on a deal that is in the national interest," she said, adding that she would not pretend that the next few weeks "will be easy or there is a simple way to break the deadlock in parliament".

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; editing by Philip Blenkinsop)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-11
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There’s a good chance you could muster a bigger pro-Brexit crowd than the combined pitiful showing on Farage’s ‘Jarrow march’ and the pro-Brexit demonstrations in London.

At least your suggested venue gives the possibility of a happy ending for the Brexiteers who attend.

Voting is democratic, mob rule is anarchy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

The 17.4 are the people that voted, they were a majority. They were asked a question by the government, they responded by telling the government that they wished to leave the EU. Most of parliament agreed to honour the referendum decision, now some of them have turned turtle and have gone against their initial pledges. Only a remainer would not see the flaw there.

That’s Politics and Parliament for you.

Theresa May and her government did everything they could do to hide the negotiations and the deal she was making from Parliament.

When dragged before Parliament by ‘enemies of the people’ Parliament finds they don’t like anything about the deal (it’s difficult to find anyone who does).

So Parliament reject the deal.

I do understand your frustration.

• Like 1

I think Mrs.  May will continue to pursue cross-party talks until next month and then, if no positive outcome for her deal, a debate will be held in the commons and a vote on putting the question back to the electorate.   If the commons are in favour of this course of action then the vote/referendum  would, this time, be clearly flagged as binding. 

There would be two choices 1. Vote for Mrs. May's agreement (including the Irish backstop) and leave the EU on first of June, or 2. Revoke article 50 and remain in the EU.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The ‘elected representatives’ are elected to represent all of the UK, Leave and Remain supporters alike.

Not in the British system, first past the post, no matter how small the margin, wins. Time to modernise with a system of numerical representation for all, it works in other countries.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, vogie said:

Looking at the remainer politicians in parliament, if they had a plan, do you think they would know which way round it went?

They were elected by the same people who voted in the referendum...

• Like 2

At last May has said  something I've been waiting nearly three years to hear - "So we must now press on at pace with our efforts to reach consensus on a deal that is in the national interest." 

Pity it wasn't stated and acted upon before invoking Article 50.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

The ‘elected representatives’ were elected on Leave manifestos, with promises to respect the referendum result. They all voted for Article 50 and the Withdrawal Act.
They won’t be coming back next GE.

Obviously you do not know much about the British electorate, many vote for the party they always vote for or don't bother voting... 

Many MP's will becoming back, regardless on where they stood on Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

The two faced bastards nonetheless signed up to their manifestos and triggered article 50 all the while drawing their salaries!

I see the Brexit Party Facebook page has added another 600 followers this week.

A shocking reminder of the strength of support for Brexit.

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

There is a very simple way to break the deadlock.

Resign and call a general election with your brexit deal as your only campaign issue. 

Is that not a Referendum by another name???

So I stand as a candidate for a new party called "Stuff Brexit" and get elected on a single issue, is that good for the country???