Bank requires OTP

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

That's awesome, but I think the OP is in the U.S. and AFAIK, U.S. banks won't/can't send an OTP to a foreign mobile? 

Well from my experience with BoA at least they most definitely will not send an OTP to an overseas number or a virtual number like Hangouts

15 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

That's awesome, but I think the OP is in the U.S. and AFAIK, U.S. banks won't/can't send an OTP to a foreign mobile? 

I was replying to CharlieH's post who has a UK bank account.

7 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well from my experience with BoA at least they most definitely will not send an OTP to an overseas number or a virtual number like Hangouts

Yes, seeing some reports that Wells Fargo, which previously sent OTPs to Google Voice (Hangouts), no longer does so.

Simply put, GV numbers are registered as "Text-enabled, VoIP" and not as mobiles. Hence the bulk SMS services, utilizing Short-Code, cannot deliver SMSes. There may be some virtual SMS providers who can emulate SCSMS, but I haven't followed that business in ages.

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, seeing some reports that Wells Fargo, which previously sent OTPs to Google Voice (Hangouts), no longer does so.

Simply put, GV numbers are registered as "Text-enabled, VoIP" and not as mobiles. Hence the bulk SMS services, utilizing Short-Code, cannot deliver SMSes. There may be some virtual SMS providers who can emulate SCSMS, but I haven't followed that business in ages.

To make things simple, I ended up with a BoA SmartPass card.

Then I used a Cricket WiFi calling enabled phone with their minimal talk and text plan.

That was bulletproof, and meant I could call my kids everyday just as if I was in the US, and receive and send texts since it was a US number, that checked multiple boxes

22 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Then I used a Cricket WiFi calling enabled phone with their minimal talk and text plan.

What is the monthly price for this "minimal talk and text plan"?

Cricket does offer WiFi calling (and notably SMS) on certain models, which would be helpful here. Assuming you registered your Cricket number with BoA, you could receive SMSes here with their WiFi Calling app. This might be a good back-up when the SafePass dies.

23 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

That was bulletproof, and meant I could call my kids everyday just as if I was in the US, and receive and send texts since it was a US number, that checked multiple boxes

Google Voice and Talkatone, among others, offer similar, albeit totally free, capabilities as mobile apps. A 10-digit number in an area code (and in some cases prefix) of your choosing, free calls and texts to/from the U.S. over WiFi or even mobile data here, just as if you were in the U.S. I've been able to get most family and friends back home onto a messaging app. (WhatsApp!, LINE, Messenger) which makes time-shifted communications a bit easier. Obviously, these platforms offer enhanced messaging, voice and video.

15 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

What is the monthly price for this "minimal talk and text plan"?

Cricket does offer WiFi calling (and notably SMS) on certain models, which would be helpful here. Assuming you registered your Cricket number with BoA, you could receive SMSes here with their WiFi Calling app. This might be a good back-up when the SafePass dies.

Google Voice and Talkatone, among others, offer similar, albeit totally free, capabilities as mobile apps. A 10-digit number in an area code (and in some cases prefix) of your choosing, free calls and texts to/from the U.S. over WiFi or even mobile data here, just as if you were in the U.S. I've been able to get most family and friends back home onto a messaging app. (WhatsApp!, LINE, Messenger) which makes time-shifted communications a bit easier. Obviously, these platforms offer enhanced messaging, voice and video.

$25 a month

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1