Thai bank "Routing Code"

Another bank related question which drew blank stares at my local SCB (sadly the manager was out of the office).

Recent mail from a UK financial institution :-

Before we can start making payments to yourself we require some further information.

Please could you fill out and return the attached overseas bank mandate form.

Please note that we require a 7 digit Thai bank code, sometimes called a routing code. Please contact your bank if necessary.

Any idea what he's on about, it is (apparently) in addition to the SWIFT code, the form has two spaces for routing code (ACH and WIRE). 

I've always just used my account number and SWIFT code to send money and it's always arrived (to BKK Bank mind, if that makes any odds).

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Any idea what he's on about, it is (apparently) in addition to the SWIFT code, the form has two spaces for routing code (ACH and WIRE). I've always just used my account number and SWIFT code to send money and it's always arrived (to BKK Bank mind, if that makes any odds).

Presumably your UK bank is using a one-size-fits-all form, suitable for both the US and the rest of the world. SWIFT is the alternative to ACH & WIRE; you don't need both.

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

Presumably your UK bank is using a one-size-fits-all form, suitable for both the US and the rest of the world. SWIFT is the alternative to ACH & WIRE; you don't need both.

That's what I thought, but he specifically mentions "Thai bank" and "routing code".

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

You're also assuming he knows what he's talking about, which clearly he doesn't.

I've emailed back asking for clarification and noting I've just used the SWIFT plus account No. in the past.

The scary thing is this is my pension payment, I even set up a special SCB account for the purpose so it's all nice and separate when I finally get around to retiring.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Recent mail from a UK financial institution :-

Yeah there hard deal with sometimes, there's no routing code for my Bkk bank a/c, from what understand Thai banks only use a swift code as already posted said SCB bank SICOTHBK.

Maybe Vincent is from USA but they use 9 digit.

3 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

All you should need is the SWIFT Code and account number or maybe a different bank in your home country.  

It's not a bank and I have no choice as to whodoes the transactions.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's not a bank and I have no choice as to whodoes the transactions.

Routing number is a bank identification code used in the US, the UK equivalent would be the sort code.

There is no Thai equivalent, the branch code is the first three digits of a Thai account number.

My account number with TMB is 10 digits, 3 for the branch and 7 for the account, if SCB is the same maybe its the account number that is required.

• Like 1

If The individual is from the USA, his institution that he is requesting have them deposit his funds in a Thai Bank or any other bank, they will request the routing number or the receiving bank.  Sorry for the run on sentence.  You can google that information. Just key in  " routing code for Bangkok bank"  I used Bangkok bank as an example because i just requested the Social and a military pension be deposited in BKK Bank.

I guess there are different procedures for money transfers.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:34 AM, Crossy said:

The email is from a person called "Vincent" I'm assuming this is a male person.

He must be an American working in the UK or at your bank's overseas call center. 

Why do Americans always think the rest of the world is geographic extension of their country! This is what I despise most of these people!

Good thing this region is tightening immigration rules! Time's up finally!

6 minutes ago, mvdf said:

He must be an American working in the UK or at your bank's overseas call center. 

Why do Americans always think the rest of the world is geographic extension of their country! This is what I despise most of these people!

Because it is? They are the Leaders of the Free World, didn't you get the memo? 

No insult intended to our former Colony. 

Wow...from talking bank codes to hating on Americans all in one breath.
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 7:39 AM, cmsally said:

UK banks sometimes ask for the IBAN number, not realising there are no IBAN numbers for Thailand!

Exactly, they are looking for an IBAN but there is none.

Thai banks don't have IBAN and all you need for a transfer is the SWIFT code (and maybe details of a correspondent bank. If so the correspondent bank might have a routing number,).