Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Buddy Franklin was knocked out cold after a head clash with Garry Rohan in a game against GWS today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-22/lance-franklin-knocked-out-in-preseason-clash/6339004

Apparently no serious injury and should be available for round 1, Keiran Jack also took a heavy knock to the guts, was subbed off and taken to hospital, also cleared of serious injury..

Birdy snapped a last second goal to get the boys the win.

watched the game and seriously considering my tips for round 1 mum might be GWS.
  • Like 1

Buddy Franklin was knocked out cold after a head clash with Garry Rohan in a game against GWS today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-22/lance-franklin-knocked-out-in-preseason-clash/6339004

Apparently no serious injury and should be available for round 1, Keiran Jack also took a heavy knock to the guts, was subbed off and taken to hospital, also cleared of serious injury..

Birdy snapped a last second goal to get the boys the win.

watched the game and seriously considering my tips for round 1 mum might be GWS.

They played well

Interesting to watch the last of the nab games yesterday.

I can definatly seen a trend to handball keepy off then miss the target with the kick.

With the amount of energy consumed,i wonder how long this style will last for the bottom sides.

I do miss the kick it long to a key position player and have guys around the fall of the ball.

No doubt another rule change in the future will be to limit the number of handballs per kick.thumbsup.gif

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 2

The game under old MRP was 'almost ridiculous', says Fyfe

NAT FYFE says the direction the Match Review Panel was taking the game last season was "almost ridiculous" and he is glad that changes have been implemented.

Fremantle's star midfielder was suspended for four matches last season for two separate incidents that almost cost him the Brownlow medal.

Fyfe copped a two-match ban for a bump on Gold Coast's Michael Rischitelli. The bump caused a head clash between the pair that left the veteran Sun with a cut head.

Under the 2014 MRP system the player electing to bump was deemed strictly liable for a sanction for damage caused.

But the MRP has softened that stance on head clashes this year.

"I'm really glad," Fyfe said.

"It's been a really pragmatic way of dealing with the way our game's going. There's so much contact.

"There's so much scrutiny now on players with camera angles from every different position, it was almost ridiculous the way the game was going with the tribunal.

"They've been really sensible. I think it's a lot fairer."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-25/old-mrp-was-ridiculous

• Like 1

COLIN Sylvia has a lot of work to do if he wants to continue his football career at Fremantle, according to star Dockers midfielder Nat Fyfe.

The Dockers made the decision to send Sylvia to train with WAFL club Peel Thunder on February 5, stating the 29-year-old was "not meeting the physical requirements for AFL football".

Sylvia banished to the WAFL

Sylvia has been training with Peel since February 9 and has played in their opening two WAFL pre-season matches.

Fyfe said the club was firm on what Sylvia needed to do to work his way back into the Fremantle fold.

"He's got a strict set of guidelines and a real pathway to try and get back to our footy club," Fyfe said.

"And he needs to deliver on those actions if he wants to continue his footy career.

"I believe he's played a couple of (WAFL) practice games and had a little bit of a niggle with injury. But basically until he's back at the club helping us win games of footy, he's got a lot of work to do."

Fyfe was speaking at Wednesday's captains' day in Melbourne. Fremantle's two-time best and fairest winner was standing in for Matthew Pavlich, who was absent with family duties.

Peel Thunder coach Cam Shepherd said last week the WAFL club had not received any word from Fremantle as to when Sylvia would be welcomed back to the Dockers.

Sylvia is expected to play in Peel's first match of the WAFL home and away season on Saturday against West Perth.

• Like 2

Former Carlton midfielder, Nick Stevens, is fighting his conviction and sentence for 12 charges for abusing his former partner, including inflicting serious injury, making threats to kill and five counts of assault.

In one instance in 2013 he smashed his victim's head against the exterior wall of her parents' house, in another he smashed her face into the kitchen wall in the Victorian home the pair shared.

The attack left a permanent scar on her cheek and, after police laid charges, he called twice her and threatened her again.

In sentencing today, Magistrate Nunzio La Rosa said Stevens and the woman had been dependent upon each other, and in love.

However, the 2500 text messages sent to the woman by Stevens in 2013, in breach of an intervention order, showed he was manipulative.

It became evident that you would not hesitate to manipulate the victim both psychologically and emotionally," Magistrate La Rosa said.

He said Stevens had shown no remorse for his actions.

Stevens, 35, was sentenced to eight months prison and ordered to complete a 12-month community corrections order that includes 90 hours of community service.

He was also fined $400.

"Violence by men against women, particularly in a domestic setting, should be dealt with in the strongest possible terms," Magistrate La Rosa said.

Within 35 minutes of Stevens being taken into custody, defence barrister Serge Petrovich had filed an appeal and bail application.

Stevens is appealing his conviction, his sentence and the sentence for the intervention order breach.

Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Mark Sontag opposed bail but Magistrate La Rosa said there was no reason not to grant it.

Stevens was released and will return to court in April for a directions hearing.

Speaking outside the Ringwood Magistrates Court, Stevens said he was disappointed with the outcome but he respected the court's decision.

Stevens played 231 AFL games for Port Adelaide and Carlton from 1998 to 2009.

I wonder if Malthouse will talk about Nick Stevens like he has about Ben Cousins this week.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/ben-cousins-should-no-longer-be-described-as-an-afl-hero-says-carlton-coach-mick-malthouse/story-e6frf3e3-1227277938580

Then again I doubt it. Nick did play for Carlton rightwhistling.gif

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

COLIN Sylvia has a lot of work to do if he wants to continue his football career at Fremantle, according to star Dockers midfielder Nat Fyfe.

The Dockers made the decision to send Sylvia to train with WAFL club Peel Thunder on February 5, stating the 29-year-old was "not meeting the physical requirements for AFL football".

Sylvia banished to the WAFL

Sylvia has been training with Peel since February 9 and has played in their opening two WAFL pre-season matches.

Fyfe said the club was firm on what Sylvia needed to do to work his way back into the Fremantle fold.

"He's got a strict set of guidelines and a real pathway to try and get back to our footy club," Fyfe said.

"And he needs to deliver on those actions if he wants to continue his footy career.

"I believe he's played a couple of (WAFL) practice games and had a little bit of a niggle with injury. But basically until he's back at the club helping us win games of footy, he's got a lot of work to do."

Fyfe was speaking at Wednesday's captains' day in Melbourne. Fremantle's two-time best and fairest winner was standing in for Matthew Pavlich, who was absent with family duties.

Peel Thunder coach Cam Shepherd said last week the WAFL club had not received any word from Fremantle as to when Sylvia would be welcomed back to the Dockers.

Sylvia is expected to play in Peel's first match of the WAFL home and away season on Saturday against West Perth.

Ahhhh well known to be an early season lazy boy down at Demon land think he not professional enough now hes playing with the big guys.

I wonder if Malthouse will talk about Nick Stevens like he has about Ben Cousins this week.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/ben-cousins-should-no-longer-be-described-as-an-afl-hero-says-carlton-coach-mick-malthouse/story-e6frf3e3-1227277938580

Then again I doubt it. Nick did play for Carlton rightwhistling.gif

I'm surprised Hirdy hasn't picked him as one of his top up players... Shocked even :P

• Like 1

he AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal has confirmed the following details for the Ryan Crowley matter.

The tribunal panel will consist of David Jones (chair), John Nixon and Dr Susan White. A timetable has been confirmed for the hearing:

· ASADA written submissions due by 2 April 2015

· Player written submissions due by 17 April 2015

· AFL written submissions due by 21 April 2015

· ASADA written submissions in reply due by 24 April 2015

· Hearing on 1 May 2015

Fremantle Football Club CEO Steve Rosich said: “We are pleased the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal has confirmed its timetable for the hearing to take place.”

• Like 2

Good article on coaches and coaching by Duck.

Player power: why Essendon coach James Hird can't afford to lose the players

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/player-power-why-essendon-coach-james-hird-cant-afford-to-lose-the-players-20150326-1m8dn1.html

That was a good article.

Problem with players wanting to decide the playing direction is it then all falls on their shoulders. I'm interested in how the Doggies and Adelaide perform this season

• Like 1

Would like to hear from you Sydney boys on your take on Garry Lyon's article.

Are the Swans still true 'Bloods'?

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/are-the-swans-still-true-bloods-20150327-1m91cr.html

Jeez, that's a sh.it stirring article from Garry.

The Bloods culture worked for a while, and maybe there can be some latching onto it still, but things do change. The system the Swannies have had and does have, turns many an average or fringe player into a team champion. I don't think there is any lack of hunger or commitment in the playing team and I think Buddy and Tippett have embraced the culture well.

The GF was an incredibly disappointing game from Sydney. Contrast it with the week before when they thrashed North and were GF favorites. For me it was the preparation in the players head. Like the year before when Fremantle mugged them in the elimination final. Shouldn't have happened, but it did.

The midfield all had games to forget and that was the end of that

The only things I agree with in the article is about malceski and not finding the money to keep him. They could have ditched an underperforming high priced/older player (Goodes, Reid, Mitchell). Of course,the Swans brains trust have served us well over the last 10 years so I will retain faith.

ALso Buddy, Our best player in the GF, agreed.

• Like 1

Tipping starts this week!

First game is on Thursday!

It is not too late to sign up for the comp

Create your AFL tipping name and account or use last year’s name. Using a similar name to your thaivisa name makes it easy to know who is who

Go to the TIPPING Tab. click

Choose COMPS>

CREATE/JOIN COMP

Click on ‘JOIN A COMP’ tab

Type ‘Thailand Mob’ into the search line

Click on Thailand Mob when it appears

Click the yellow ‘JOIN COMP’ tab on right hand side (you wont be in the comp until u do)

Put in password ‘Thaivisa’ (it is caps sensitive)

You are now in the comp…

Your name should appear immediately after you refresh the page

• Like 2

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/are-the-swans-still-true-bloods-20150327-1m91cr.html

The Bloods culture worked for a while, and maybe there can be some latching onto it still, but things do change. The system the Swannies have had and does have, turns many an average or fringe player into a team champion. I don't think there is any lack of hunger or commitment in the playing team and I think Buddy and Tippett have embraced the culture well.

The GF was an incredibly disappointing game from Sydney. Contrast it with the week before when they thrashed North and were GF favorites. For me it was the preparation in the players head. Like the year before when Fremantle mugged them in the elimination final. Shouldn't have happened, but it did.

The only things I agree with in the article is about malceski and not finding the money to keep him. They could have ditched an underperforming high priced/older player (Goodes, Reid, Mitchell). Of course,the Swans brains trust have served us well over the last 10 years so I will retain faith.

It took him this long to write this? I mean christ, we all knew the result back in September last year, digested it by the end of October and sought to learn from it around December...

I'm sure the boys are well and truly over the GF loss last year, it will only serve as a lesson to play stronger this year. They are almost an enitrely different outfit to the "Bloods" of a few seasons back... Leo Barry's no longer around, Captain Kirk went west and Roosey's now down Mexico way...

A few of the old guard are still in and around the club and hopefully they can re-ignite that passion we saw at the height of the 2005 season.. Absolutely no doubt the Swans are up to the challenge this year, as in any year, injury management will be crucial. Blooding the new bread in, the likes of Isaac Heeney coming through will be great to see and hopefully the old dogs can develop the kids.

They'll make the Top 4 this year and be pushing for the last Saturday in September.

• Like 2

Take no notice of G Lyon, i wouldnt call him an expert on anything...gee he had a hand in selecting the previous coach at Melbourne, its all media inspired preseason shit stirring from a compare who cant control the rabble he is co host of...oh and 5 min of that show is enough for me to cringe and head back to my computer.

ps.....ive joined the tipping....now i will be travelling all over thailand from the 9th and back in Deeland on the 5th of may...ive downloaded the AFL app for ipad so will endeavor to keep up with it all but then again with the world of tech sometimes i just dont get it...

• Like 1

removed

Ho charlie i dont have an obsession with AFL...use to.....but we cant talk about the game the whole wide world plays in here that is known all over the wide world as football....but in defence of the game i was brought up on....no football code in the whole wide world needs to be skilled in feet hands and head like an AFL player, they really are the complete athlete...and i am into Gridiron and soccer as well....im sure that Rugby players have skills to i just cant see any since i was bought up on AFL.