Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

There is a motorcade parade through lovely melbourne town on the friday which is now a public holiday...think it was shifty Andrews who brought that in, i went one year when the Swans were in it....it was a beautiful sunny spring day, autumn and spring seems to no longer happen here now, we go right into summer then right into winter, today has been a bit shitty if you were expecting a glorious day im sure the Eagles would have thought there arrived in mid winter, yesterday was 25 today 13....ahh you got to love Melbourne...Yesterday i learned the air con in my less than one year old VW isn't working....reminds me of when i bought a brand spanking new XR6 ute the very first service the air con needed to be replaced...at least it worked it just stunk when you turned it on....you can say im not happy in fact you know im not happy.....bloody reversing globe hasn't lasted a year as well...this car might go the way of the Ford...

Yes Gaz these over paid sporting heroes get to ride in open top cars trucks what ever just as long as it has the 5 rings or the 3 pointed star on the front...something like that if you know what i mean...cant have them seen in a holden you know...

We had some rain today enough to wet the garden and save me a water... tomorrow will see a top of 13 degrees.....so will be watching the game with the heater on on the 65inch telly......then we break into a long overdue spring from sunday climbing to 17 then low 20's all week....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Back in LOS and undecided on which team to support,with Dad being a life long colliwobbles fan and my sister Eagles through and through and coming from the west.

Got to go for someone so leaning towards the Pies.

Welcome home from the land of flips and less than bright sparks...once a long a time ago if you were Victorian you would never go for Collingwood unless you barracked for them, they have become more modest in modern times due to they continuing to loose GF's but hey fella if they get this one there WILL be hell to pay.....i suggest you go for the Eagles tomorrow and keep uncle WILL happy....

• Like 2

There is a motorcade parade through lovely melbourne town on the friday which is now a public holiday...think it was shifty Andrews who brought that in, i went one year when the Swans were in it....it was a beautiful sunny spring day, autumn and spring seems to no longer happen here now, we go right into summer then right into winter, today has been a bit shitty if you were expecting a glorious day im sure the Eagles would have thought there arrived in mid winter, yesterday was 25 today 13....ahh you got to love Melbourne...Yesterday i learned the air con in my less than one year old VW isn't working....reminds me of when i bought a brand spanking new XR6 ute the very first service the air con needed to be replaced...at least it worked it just stunk when you turned it on....you can say im not happy in fact you know im not happy.....bloody reversing globe hasn't lasted a year as well...this car might go the way of the Ford...

Yes Gaz these over paid sporting heroes get to ride in open top cars trucks what ever just as long as it has the 5 rings or the 3 pointed star on the front...something like that if you know what i mean...cant have them seen in a holden you know...

We had some rain today enough to wet the garden and save me a water... tomorrow will see a top of 13 degrees.....so will be watching the game with the heater on on the 65inch telly......then we break into a long overdue spring from sunday climbing to 17 then low 20's all week....

Well how will the Eagles go on the cold 13 that is generally the night temp in Perth this time of year.
Of course they would be travelling in style, bring me back to when I had my MGB and I did a couple of parades in it carrying a couple of celebrities if you can call them that!!!!

Tomorrow I will be watching on my 65 inch curved screen tv, may even try out the sports mode for it as they say it enhances the viewing experience do not know how though. Will not have the heater on as it is getting warm here in bkk, May have to have the odd cold shower as have not bothered to get the pool yet.

13 minutes ago, Gazman1 said:

Tomorrow I will be watching on my 65 inch curved screen tv, may even

What's your opinion of curved screen viewing.  does it make sports viewing more enjoyable.  WC by 30.

Enjoy and here's for a hard fought game with lots of biffo 

What's your opinion of curved screen viewing.  does it make sports viewing more enjoyable.  WC by 30.

The curved screen is a Samsung, it seems a little better but I bought it on special so it was a good price, whether it is better that the flat screen I would say slightly as I had the same in Perth but flat.
I will put on sports mode tomorrow

The curved screen is a Samsung, it seems a little better but I bought it on special so it was a good price, whether it is better that the flat screen I would say slightly as I had the same in Perth but flat.
I will put on sports mode tomorrow

Just looked then sports mode alters the colour and the clarity I assume for the distance shots, it also has a highlight function where you can rewatch parts of the game using a USB device

On 9/28/2018 at 6:11 PM, stud858 said:

God dam gimmick kid.....why not a curved wall to hang your curved tv on?

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:26 PM, Gazman1 said:

Just looked then sports mode alters the colour and the clarity I assume for the distance shots, it also has a highlight function where you can rewatch parts of the game using a USB device

Already obsolete ....OLED TVs or what ever 4K now its 8K and soon 200K around the corner.....i blew 5gs on a sony 65inch LCD in 2013.....dont even have it connected to the net you need to be a marine biologist with a phd to understand how to connect it....but i snooker it...i have an Apple tv plugged into it.....much easier for a simple trade to use...

We are breaking out the cooking sherry tonight up on the ranch in Udon town...Eagles fell over the line in the dieing minutes of the game....the Pies did not get the Colliwobblles and in fact can feel robbed....they led for the entire game bar the last 3 minutes...

Do not know how the Pies lost that one...even Cox came good in the second half...was a great game kept me on the edge of my couch most of the game...who ever lost can feel pretty stiff...

Good article into days Age on the resurrection of De Goey the Salvos saved his soul and he became a super star....i feel rather sad for him and the Salvos now....nice heart warming piece.....

Well its all over bar the hangover tomorrow morning, WILL's mrs WILL escape the farm house tonight and return tomorrow evening with WILL's favourite fodder a bucket of Pad Thai......

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Rippa left foot punt from the flank to steal the win. Decent watch. 

Congrats to WC. Now the calm until 2019 footy starts. C u then old chaps.

Oh no ....the season really gets underway when trade week hits kid....you aint seen nothing yet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Grand Final 2018

eagles_2.jpg

Footy is a passion, not some cold hearted, spread sheet dominated rational exercise.

On a Monday, you want irrational reaction. You want emotion to trump reason.

What you really want is idiotic hysteria.

You’ve come to the right place.

West Coast (79) v Collingwood (74)

On a fairly regular basis, footy reminds us it’s the greatest thing ever, a wonderous invention that can make us feel elated or devastated in equal measure.

Walking into the MCG, the feeling was one of excitement and nervousness, a feeling that only a Grand Final can bring.

Everyone knows they are just hours away from being unmeasurably joyous or a black pit of despair from which no light escapes.

To offset all this tension, everyone was in a happy mood, like we’d all just found out the world was about to end and decided to at least enjoy our final moments together.

Both sets of supporters were out in force, Collingwood supporters in their traditional tracksuit pants and Eagles supporters practicing their 47 different types of boos they use to communicate during a game.

While there’s always idiots in the crowd, all I saw on the day was good humour in the crowd.

As the 100,022 took their seats, Melbourne was bathed in a mysterious light. 

I wondered aloud what it was, and an Eagles supporter helpfully pointed out it was sunlight. It’s not uncommon in Perth she informed me.

Sitting there in this ‘sunlight’, surrounded by footy fans, it was hard not to feel pretty happy.

This sense of happiness even continued on, even though the Black Eyed Peas were performing. 

I thought they were neither a train wreck or particularly great. Will.I.Am got a lot of heat for checking his phone during the performance but he was not alone there based on all the people around me.

We’ve all phoned it in at work before but perhaps never so blatantly.

It’s possible he was checking if the AFL’s money had been wired into his account and if he could wrap things up.

Jimmy Barnes came up straight afterwards and the crowd certainly seemed to lift for him. His ability to stay off electronic devices was certainly appreciated.

I was sitting next to some Collingwood fans and had some Eagles fans behind me. 

They all looked more stressed than the ABC Board, but not as drunk.

Mike Brady then came out and sang ‘Up there Cazaly’and I have to say the crowd really got into it. Except for a nine-year-old girl who refused to stand.

I gave her a really spray, calling her ‘Un-Australian’ and ‘a disgrace’, you know, normal things for a grown adult to call a nine-year-old they don’t know who doesn’t stand up during a song.

Her family texted the number to report anti-social behaviour but when security showed up and discovered what happened, they removed her and her family instead. 

Hopefully from the country.

Next was Jimmy Barnes’ daughter, performing the national anthem, which I didn’t stand for as part of my continuing civil action that Nikki Webster’s Strawberry Kissesshould be our national anthem.

With the musical component thankfully now over for another year, disaster struck, with Collingwood’s banner breaking before the players came out.

While this would normally amuse me, given the cheersquads all give their lives to football, it was actually very sad to see. 

Finally, the game started, and much like Collingwood’s banner, the Eagles fell apart. 

The noise with every Collingwood goal was insane, and chants of ‘Collingwood’ echoed around the ground. 

Travis Varcoe’s goal to start things off got the biggest cheer and his recent family tragedy gave it special meaning for everyone watching.

The Eagles fans behind me looked in shock as the Pies poured on the goals. It had the feeling of the previous week in Perth but this time the Eagles were on the receiving end.

The West Coast supporter directly behind me kept quietly repeating their safe word over and over.

By quarter time, it felt like it was going to be a long day and I was desperately trying to remember the PIN for my saferoom and calculating the optimum moment to flee the stadium.

The second quarter though saw the Eagles begin to assert some dominance and going into half time the game was again a contest. The West Coast fans still looked nervous but now the Pies supporters did too.

I offered some helpful words of advice to those around me at halftime, reminding them to keep things in perspective, ‘a loss today is just a moment that will haunt you for the rest of your life, nothing more’. 

This was met with more hostility than I thought. 

The third quarter saw the Eagles start to gain the upper hand. There was a guy down back who kept taking key marks and a quick google search revealed his name was ‘Jeremy McGovern’. 

Some more internet research revealed that the players now getting control of the midfield for the Eagles were Luke Shuey and Dom Sheed. I’d never heard of either of them but they both seemed really good.

Collingwood seemed on the back foot, but Buckley had subbed in Mason Cox at half time and he was starting to have an impact.

Jordan De Goey kept causing trouble and each time it seemed the Eagles were about to run over the Pies, Collingwood would manufacture a goal.

At four quarter time the game was tied but the Pies fans were concerned as they had watched their huge leaded completely eroded. 

Eagles fans looked just as concerned, could they land a knockout blow, or had they spent all their energy playing catch up?

The fourth quarter begun with a twist, the Pies, struggling in the third quarter came out and booted the first two.

Not since the invention of pre-mix cans had Collingwood supporters been so happy. 

But the day wasn’t over. The Eagles could have given up at this point, but they went back to work. 

They were all over the Pies, but they were unable to land a shot, the Pies, like an old prize-fighter were doing everything to hang on. 

With the Eagles down by two points it felt like the stadium was about to explode, everyone knew that this could go either way. 

The Eagles tried to work it out of their back line, only for the Pies to turn it over and come back again. Every mistake, or missed opportunity felt like it had cost the game, as the players threw themselves at the ball with an intensity of a Bachelorcontestant trying to get noticed.

West Coast had missed four shots in a row at this point and with a couple of minutes left they again cleared it from their back fifty.

The ball game out to Vardy who marked and quickly moved it forward. It could have easily been spoiled at this stage, but Liam Ryan took a wonderful mark, ran forward and found an open Dom Sheed in the forward fifty.

A lot has been said of Willie Rioli blocking Brayden Maynard from getting to the marking contest, especially from the Melbourne media.

I can see the argument but watching this game live and on replay a couple of times I have to say the umpires let a lot go. 

This would be about one of twenty odd occasions when the umpires erred on letting play go on. 

I thought at the time the more contentious moment was that Sheed seemed to play on and then stop.

Personally, I preferred the umpires letting a lot go on the day, it produced a far better outcome overall. 

Some in the media making out that this made it a controversial result that decided the game shows a lack class and ignores the broader perspective of how the entire game was umpired. 

The Eagles could put forward a whole bunch of non-calls too.

Sheed was no certainty either. He was on a very tight angle and forty meters out.

I was sitting directly behind him and as it left his boot it looked like it could go either side of the goal post, only to hold it’s line.

The Eagles fans went nuts and the Pies fans rushed to their phones to check the time left.

Even then the drama wasn’t over. The Eagles had to stop the Pies scoring.

Things looked good for West Coast though only for Jack Darling to drop a mark in the goal square, resulting in a point.

The Pies were going to get one more chance, they went long up the middle but there was Luke Shuey, the soon-to-be-named Norm Smith medallist with the mark to end the game.

The whole mad, epic thing was over and everyone knew we’d just witnessed something special.

The Pies fans were devastated, the Eagles fans elated, but all stayed to watch the presentation of the cup and support their team regardless of the outcome.

Behind me were two kids, one an eight-year-old in a Pies jumper, the other about five in an Eagles top. I’m not sure if they were related or knew each other at all, but the Pies supporter was in tears and the five-year-old had his arm around him comforting him.

It was so damn poignant I would have taken a photo, but taking photos of kids you don’t know tends to draw attention.

This was a game where the great game once again reminded us that footy is great because it creates a community. 

With the final siren sounded and the cup awarded we can all go back to the shared solidarity of all being footy fans, a group of people that understand that we are mad, but collectively mad together.

We all now face that terrible part of the year with no footy, just that awful summer filled with friends and family.

It’s why I won’t be rubbing it in to Pies supporters, because there’s a time and place and this is neither.

Footy fans know how bad they’ll be feeling.

Instead we congratulate the Eagles and we get ready for the most exciting time of the year, trade period.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 1:04 PM, Will27 said:

A great day for the club and supporters.

Time for the draft now.

565541_b7f68d0cf626a89ba23696e6feeeea7b.jpeg.jpg

Great to see the Eagles get up.  As a Vic I'm like a great deal of others and absolute hate Collingwood with a passion, absolutely despise that club

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

You wont need Shiel your getting Harmes from us for pick 199......Tyson is shopping himself around as well a decent midfielder indeed, recons he's not getting enough games or something like that at Melbourne....he must be planning on doing stand up comedy after he retires he would have played around 15 games this year and most of last years as well....

The latest on Hogan is the players dont wanna see him leave but acknowledge he's had a rough time in recent times its been reported the Dee's have been upfront and blunt with the Dockers....2 first round pics or go suck a lemon....its also been rumored the Eagles could be interested since Kennedy is close to pension age well thats what was written....at 31 we all know he is in his prime and could easily play until he is 40 at the Saints...Anyway the Dee's do need a low first round pick if they have any hope of securing May from the Suns, you can bet your last dollar if Hogan goes they WILL move heaven and earth to pull May in....

Meanwhile Dee's show there hand with that North second string ruck, obviously we think more highly of him than they do...Pruss or how ever you spell his name was today encouraged by big Max to come on over and he stated he would be happy to share ruck duties with him...North WILL have a hard time keeping him now....

As a footnote...i find it hilarious that the Dockers are after Hogan...some years ago in the dreamtime they came knocking on the Melbourne Demons door for Koorie rockstar and the original star small froward (who ended up having a short career) to lure Jeff Farmer back home to the west, to sweeten the deal they handed the Dee's the first pick of what ever draft they called it then to an ineligible 17 year old something like that.....the MFC choose Hogan....there WILL be a big smile on my face if said up and coming rockstar is traded for 2 low first round draft picks when all it cost us was Jeff Farmer....sim salsa apple duel sim Xs phone....

Talk is the Dee's want to use max more forward and less ruck work

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

Talk is the Dee's want to use max more forward and less ruck work

Yes ex officer Dibbles you dont need a PHD in rocket science to have worked that out....what goes around comes around..the old ruckman resting forward trick is been dusted off and brought out of retirement....The idea which Carlton Blues are still hanging on to that you need a quality ruckman in the centre of the ground is fooie.....none of the recent past winning premiership teams had a "quality" ruckman at there disposal....of course it helps if you got one even better if he's kicking goals...dont need a full forward either in the modern game...but of course its handy....

Glorious spring weather in Melbourne town....not use to anything over 21 degrees was a bit hard on the tools yesterday when it inched over 26 with low humidity.....

Im off to get my pocket rocket serviced today...ive been Practiceing my frown to show the service crew ( air con not working and reversing globe cupput not to mention a metal to metal sound sometime when I reverse into my garage....) ho and just red yesterday VW are upping the warranty period of all there cars from 3 to 5 ys....not only did I miss out on the half price solar panels and battery I miss out on the extra 2 ys warranty as well....and I think I will need it...thats what happens when your born too soon....

Glad I wasn't one of the dummies that que up the night before an Apple release, these glorious tools called an iPhone are experiencing some issues...think with Steves passing they dropped the ball over in Silicon Valley or is it the Chinese way to get back at Trump since they make them there...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Yes ex officer Dibbles you dont need a PHD in rocket science to have worked that out....what goes around comes around..the old ruckman resting forward trick is been dusted off and brought out of retirement....The idea which Carlton Blues are still hanging on to that you need a quality ruckman in the centre of the ground is fooie.....none of the recent past winning premiership teams had a "quality" ruckman at there disposal....of course it helps if you got one even better if he's kicking goals...dont need a full forward either in the modern game...but of course its handy....

Glorious spring weather in Melbourne town....not use to anything over 21 degrees was a bit hard on the tools yesterday when it inched over 26 with low humidity.....

Im off to get my pocket rocket serviced today...ive been Practiceing my frown to show the service crew ( air con not working and reversing globe cupput not to mention a metal to metal sound sometime when I reverse into my garage....) ho and just red yesterday VW are upping the warranty period of all there cars from 3 to 5 ys....not only did I miss out on the half price solar panels and battery I miss out on the extra 2 ys warranty as well....and I think I will need it...thats what happens when your born too soon....

Glad I wasn't one of the dummies that que up the night before an Apple release, these glorious tools called an iPhone are experiencing some issues...think with Steves passing they dropped the ball over in Silicon Valley or is it the Chinese way to get back at Trump since they make them there...

I reckon you can get by without a quality ruckman but need you a quality big forward.

The Western Bulldogs win without one was a one off.

Riewoldt was great for Richmond and Kennedy and Darling took 18 marks between them in the granny.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Woah, farmerjo will be happy.

Looks like Norf will be getting Aaron Hall now as well.

Add him to Polec and possibly Gaff and they've done really well.

BTW FJ, couldn't believe you didn't go hard for WC over Collingwood considering

our Norf flavour of Simmo, Petrie and Brady Rawlings.

Shame on you:biggrin:

Very happy Will.

Outside run is what we need and those 3 could make next year exciting.

It showed this year with getting Billy Hartung in although he was an A reserve type and now delisted.

Just don't to get to carried away until pen is to paper and we saw the Bombers pick 3 up last year and basically took them to long to gel.

But why not dare to dream.

Bulldogs,Tigers,West Coast,Norf?????

On the GF,with family members supporting both sides it was one of the rare years that i sat to watch it not really having a full on blast for one side just hoping for a close one.

My sister had to fly via Sydney and back from Perth just to get to the game at 3 times the normal airlines price but she's pretty happy now after being to 2 WCE losing granny's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Very happy Will.

It showed this year with getting Billy Hartung in although he was an A reserve type and now delisted.

Just don't to get to carried away until pen is to paper and we saw the Bombers pick 3 up last year and basically took them to long to gel.

On the GF,with family members supporting both sides it was one of the rare years that i sat to watch it not really having a full on blast for one side just hoping for a close one.

My sister had to fly via Sydney and back from Perth just to get to the game at 3 times the normal airlines price but she's pretty happy now after being to 2 WCE losing granny's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Very happy Will.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Very happy Will.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Very happy Will.

Dad is still not talking.????

14 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Very happy Will.

Thanks Fj i know your excited but we got it the first time.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

I reckon you can get by without a quality ruckman but need you a quality big forward.

The Western Bulldogs win without one was a one off.

Riewoldt was great for Richmond and Kennedy and Darling took 18 marks between them in the granny.

The Dee's went up a notch in the forward zone when Hogan was ruled out for the year, a tall competitor is all thats needed and that resting ruckman can do the trick along side Weids and Big Mac...

A classy rebounding backline is what Goodwin's looking for hence the desire too land May, Vince retired and lewis one more year then its the centrelink que...

5 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Very happy Will.

.าแวิ]