TOPS says "No passport? No can pay phone bill. Or internet. Or electricity."

I brought a few bills to pay on my last visit to TOPS 4 days ago. When I presented them to the cashier, she asked for a passport (first time that's ever happened to me when paying with cash).

Apparently the powers-that-be have added a new law or something. I didn't have my passport with me (it was out with the visa agent for a work permit), but I luckily found a photocopy, which was accepted. I paid cash for everything, no credit or debit card used. 

What is going on here? I can't think of any other reason than simply it tells farangs they're not welcome here, even farang cash isn't wanted..`

Am I missing something?

Edited by MiNombreEsFicticious
typos needed fixing
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Always remember your tinfoil hat when you go outside

When I was in China last year, my Chinese friend never paid cash for a thing.  He used his phone.

In fact, restaurants gave a good discount as it saves them handling cash.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

never had a problem using cash anywhere but even if declined at Tops you can still find a 7 somewhere... 

but not sure why you find a policy change to be a personal message of persecution..  

My old Latin tutor always advised "romano vivito more" - (if in Rome) behave as a Roman. Works in Thailand, too. Carrying Western baggage here gets heavy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When the next financial crisis hits they will dive into all our bank accounts as they did in Banks in Cyprus (bail In ) & paying your bills will be the last of your worries ,& there will be absolutely nothing you will be able to do about it !! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

My old Latin tutor always advised "romano vivito more" - (if in Rome) behave as a Roman. Works in Thailand, too. Carrying Western baggage here gets heavy.

Couldn't agree more but are Thais being asked to show their passports, very much doubt it

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Take a photo of the cashier and then ask for the duty manager. Once (s)he appears, ask for the written instruction by head office. Happened to me - nothing of the like was produceable. I insisted on an apology and a speedy process of my bill payments. Ever since - BIG smiles and doing everything possible to avoid the "farang roo maak"! 

why go to that extend of wasting time and arguing with somebody that (usually) speak poor English, better move to the next shop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Pay all mine online these days. No passport needed there.

I do the same with one exception which is my electricity bill.

Kbank don't have a way of accessing the PEA account for some reason. The PEA does have an app that I can use on my mobile but not it seems on my pc.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I do the same with one exception which is my electricity bill.

Kbank don't have a way of accessing the PEA account for some reason. The PEA does have an app that I can use on my mobile but not it seems on my pc.

If you click pay in PEA app the kbank should then send to your phone after entering the number into PEA app.

If it doesnt, open the Kbank app and it will be sat there waiting to be paid. Thats how it works for me with Kbank.

• Like 1