Went to the waterfalls for Songkran but only Thais get in free, not foreigners.

2 minutes ago, PAWNEESE said:

Its dual pricing based on perceived wealth level and ability to pay. Your not a victim. They are being kind to fellow less well off Thais is one way to think of it. Every business everywhere charges at a level they think a potential customer can or will pay.

But hey ho ... you walked away .. fair enough. Thanks for the post to discuss your view

I love your sense of humour.

Did you not gag as you wrote that?

(Apart from the perfect idiocy of the concept)

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, PAWNEESE said:

Its dual pricing based on perceived wealth level and ability to pay. Your not a victim. They are being kind to fellow less well off Thais is one way to think of it. Every business everywhere charges at a level they think a potential customer can or will pay.

But hey ho ... you walked away .. fair enough. Thanks for the post to discuss your view

this type of action is all over Thailand, nobody follows the law, it's a matter of interpretation by the ones at the ticketing booth, I go to the same park every 3-4 months, I have a pink ID card, it all depends who is at the booth, either I pay Thai price or pay foreigner price, no regulations

So why in my country does everyone pay the same to visit National Trust properties such as The Tower of London or Stonehenge as 2 examples ? it doesn't matter whether you were born in the UK or are a valued visitor from abroad, everyone pays the same.

There are far too many Thai apologists on here (I call them Jodrells) who spout the same crap about Thais having so little money, that is BS, if a guy or gal, is going to a National Park with their Thai family then they should be accorded the same privileges, but more importantly, the xenophobic double pricing should be done away with, I won't personally pay to visit any of their crap parks to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

I think the fact that my entire family was allowed to enter the park free of charge except myself is what got me the most. They could have just waved the car on through but they didn't. Instead they stopped the car, noticed the foreigner in the passenger seat and tried to ostracize me by making me the odd one out by having to cough up the cash.

I'm sorry, but whichever way you dress it up, this type of behavior is totally and utterly unacceptable.

Again the question, are you living here and did you try to show any form of Thai ID?

12 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So why in my country does everyone pay the same to visit National Trust properties such as The Tower of London or Stonehenge as 2 examples ? it doesn't matter whether you were born in the UK or are a valued visitor from abroad, everyone pays the same.

There are far too many Thai apologists on here (I call them Jodrells) who spout the same crap about Thais having so little money, that is BS, if a guy or gal, is going to a National Park with their Thai family then they should be accorded the same privileges, but more importantly, the xenophobic double pricing should be done away with, I won't personally pay to visit any of their crap parks to be honest.

"There are far too many Thai apologists on here.."

Yes there are-bought and paid for 30 pieces of silver.

Can I interest you in a pollution free condo in Chiang Mai?

But it's the white renegades that I really find disconcerting.

Edited by Odysseus123

18 minutes ago, batata said:

this type of action is all over Thailand, nobody follows the law, it's a matter of interpretation by the ones at the ticketing booth, I go to the same park every 3-4 months, I have a pink ID card, it all depends who is at the booth, either I pay Thai price or pay foreigner price, no regulations

There are regulations, you just don't know them.

“Depending on the park, or specific park duty officer, foreigners may be allowed to pay the Thai rate,”

Chief of Tourism Promotion office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Wanlapha Yuttiwong.https://www.thephuketnews.com/tax-paying-foreigners-not-entitled-to-local-price-at-national-parks-50333.php#99Umld3RsbJiy6A5.97

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

Yet another example of Thailand's racial profiling and xenophobia towards foreigners. The fact that I am married and have children here doesn't make a difference. Because I have white skin I must pay the fee whilst all Thais go in free.

Couldn't you have handled this differently, especially for one married with kids? I've been to this waterfall years ago with my Thai wife and kids, but we don't go much as we find the dual pricing off putting. She paid something for me before. It's nothing to do with your white skin as you say, the policy is for all national parks to have higher rates for foreigners. Deal with it - someone has to pay for the places and some Thais pay taxes. We don't go these NPs any-more unless the wife knows up front my Thai drivers licence gets me in at local rates as we find the rates too high anyway and could be better spent elsewhere. YMMV. Been like that for years.

1 minute ago, rumak said:

Just yesterday read the news that the top 60 money making corporations in US  paid NO federal income tax.   Almost every person not in that elite club did pay, even those making minimum wage.  So far I have yet to see any major news outlet have a meltdown about this fact.  Just sayin'

And none of those companies wrote the tax laws they abide by.  The lower income earners in the US pay less to the tax man, than they do here..most get back more than they paid in, especially with kids.

2 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Couldn't you have handled this differently, especially for one married with kids?

Not really no. Especially when my wife and her family are in agreement with me that I shouldn't pay a penny if they don't have to. I handled it the way it should be handled. Hopefully one day someone will take note and do the right thing by removing these xenophobic rules that target foreigners. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

Who pays for the upkeep then ?

You are not being 'targeted' if you don't want to pay you don't go - how is that 'targeting' ? Its your choice and as a very confirmed skinflint you have exercised that option. Well done you - I'm sure your kids thank you for it.

Please...go away.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I dont have a problem with differential charging at attractions and venues here.  The way I see it, my disposal income is probably higher than the average Thai families, it's their country not mine, so I pay a little more to access them.  Having said that, many, especially around the tourist spots of Pattaya and Phuket,  are not worth the money anyway, which is a different argument.   

I know a lot of Thai's who are quite wealthy... Their kids at International Schools (Harrow, NIST, Patana etc), they travel everywhere in Business / First class... They too have huge expendable income, yet they get to enter these places for Free while Tax Paying Westerners (work Permitted) are expected to pay... 

There is no excuse for this rule... Thus turd of a rule cannot be polished or rolled in glitter... Its an extremely clumsy xenophobic rule, there is no way to make this rule seem justifiable for anyone with any sense of balance - its just plain wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Benroon said:

You are not being 'targeted' if you don't want to pay you don't go - how is that 'targeting' ? Its your choice and as a very confirmed skinflint you have exercised that option. Well done you - I'm sure your kids thank you for it.

try going to sleep.   maybe you will wake up on the right side of the bed next time.   Peace and love.. you have just insulted 2 people in 2 minutes.      Try being nice    EDIT:   3 people

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I would have gladly paid to enter if everyone was paying to enter.

Just imagine this scenario for a minute: Thai national that has been living in the UK for 5 years wants to visit Madame Tussauds in London. She is really excited about the trip and has been looking forward to it for years. Herself, her English husband and 2 kids jump in the car and drive on down to London from up north. Upon arrival there is a sign outside that says "Today is Madame Tussauds Birthday and to celebrate we are waiving the entry free for the first 100 people. Come on in!" Luckily they arrived just as the doors were opening so they were first in through the foyer. Even more excited now she grabs her two kids and walks with her husband to the ticket desk when she is confronted by the cashier who says "ah, sorry madam, it's only free for english people, not asians." Unfortunately she still hasn't got her British passport yet and has been living on a marriage visa instead. She leaves London feeling totally unwanted and completely let down, as do her kids and her husband.

Do you see the problem yet?

Edited by Despondent Foreigner
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

Not really no. Especially when my wife and her family are in agreement with me that I shouldn't pay a penny if they don't have to. I handled it the way it should be handled. Hopefully one day someone will take note and do the right thing by removing these xenophobic rules that target foreigners. 

Phi Phi island park entry fee for foreigners is 400 bath for Thais it's 40 baht, what's the fee for anyway, for the tour trip organizers to pocket more money, all cash no CC accepted, did some research in the matter, the (majority) of money collect at the parks is supposed to be send to the ministry in Bkk governing parks, the krabi province (majority) of money collected at the parks stays there, where????? but the money from the fees is supposed to be used to maintain and improve the parks

Just now, Pilotman said:

Then don't go. better still leave Thailand.  I'm sure that the general population will not mourn your loss to the economy.   

Precisely what I am doing! I in turn will not miss Thailand for one second after I leave.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

I would have gladly paid to enter if everyone was paying to enter.

Just imagine this scenario for a minute: Thai national that has been living in the UK for 5 years wants to visit Madame Tussauds in London. She is really excited about the trip and has been looking forward to it for years. Herself, her English husband and 2 kids jump in the car and drive on down to London from up north. Upon arrival there is a sign outside that says "Today is Madame Tussauds Birthday and to celebrate we are waiving the entry free for the first 100 people. Come on in!" Luckily they arrived just as the doors were opening so they were first in through the foyer. Even more excited now she grabs her two kids and walks with her husband to the ticket desk when she is confronted by the cashier who says "ah, sorry madam, it's only free for english people, not asians. Unfortunately she still hasn't got her British passport yet and has been living on a marriage visa instead. She leaves London feeling totally unwanted and completely let down, as do her kids and her husband.

Do you see the problem yet?

No I don't.  There is a lesser charge for UK citizen OAPs and those on benefits?    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Benroon said:

You actually plan up front to avoid an absolutely nothing entrance fee ?

The wife takes care all the finances but thanks for your concern. It's less to do with the cost and more to do with having family members singled out at the entrance gate as being different to other family members that both my wife and self find more shocking than the prices, much like the o/p said.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

The wife takes care all the finances but thanks for your concern. It's less to do with the cost and more to do with having family members singled out at the entrance gate as being different to other family members that both my wife and self find more shocking than the prices, much like the o/p said.

too over sensitive mate. 

• Thanks 1