Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

25 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Ok so to finalise  , you cant provide  any real  facts/evidence at all, any thats  peer  reviewed and scientific not  just mumbo  jumbo from similar mumbo  jumbo ley line, chai worshipping sites, what you can do is  quote  vagueness and nothingness, but thats  par for the course when questioning such "beliefs"

And to summarize your amazing contributions: ????????????
5b0dbf8bbd463.image.png?resize=760,542Tantrum-boy-568x296.jpg

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

That is humans stuff....They think to much....The rest of Earths creatures don't do that stuff do they, they just get on with life/survival....????

Shock  horror  you mean they aren't  worshipping invisible/fantasy Gods??

• Like 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

That is humans stuff....They think to much....The rest of Earths creatures don't do that stuff do they, they just get on with life/survival....????

Yep, same but different :cool:

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, same but different :cool:

No, the rest of Earths creatures have not been brainwashed, humans are good at the brainwashing stuff...We even have religious folk committing suicide blowing themselves up, together with their own believers because an EARTH BOUND BLOKE told them that is what THEIR god wants.....Now how do they know that if they have never had a chat with their god.....But wait, they follow a book written by guess what.......An Earth bound bloke....????

I asked in another post if humans can be hypnotized, nobody has answered my question because they know where I will go with it...????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

No, the rest of Earths creatures have not been brainwashed, humans are good at the brainwashing stuff...We even have religious folk committing suicide blowing themselves up, together with their own believers because an EARTH BOUND BLOKE told them that is what THEIR god wants.....Now how do they know that if they have never had a chat with their god.....But wait, they follow a book written by guess what.......An Earth bound bloke....????

I asked in another post if humans can be hypnotized, nobody has answered my question because they know where I will go with it...????

Excuse me, but what is your point ?

Would you like to be a giraffe, or a rhino because they are not brainwashed ?

To answer your question, some humans can be hypnotized, or brainwashed, better than others, perhaps we all have a breaking point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

To answer your question, some humans can be hypnotized, or brainwashed, better than others, perhaps we all have a breaking point.

Thank you, but your "breaking point" has nothing to do with "breaking", it has do do with some human folks grey cells can be controlled, brainwashed...FACT..

What do you think about the head of England's religion, Henry VIII changing England's religion because he had leg over problems...?

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 6:57 PM, NotYourBusiness said:

In the 60's and 70's the astronomer Carl Sagan announced that there were two important criteria for a planet to support life: The right kind of star, and a planet the right distance from that star. Given the roughly octillion—1 followed by 24 zeros—planets in the universe, there should have been about septillion—1 followed by 21 zeros—planets capable of supporting life.

With such spectacular odds, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, a large, expensive collection of private and publicly funded projects launched in the 1960s, was sure to turn up something soon. Scientists listened with a vast radio telescopic network for signals that resembled coded intelligence and were not merely random. But as years passed, the silence from the rest of the universe was deafening. Congress defunded SETI in 1993, but the search continues with private funds. As of 2014, researches have discovered precisely bubkis—0 followed by nothing.

What happened? As our knowledge of the universe increased, it became clear that there were far more factors necessary for life than Sagan supposed. His two parameters grew to 10 and then 20 and then 50, and so the number of potentially life-supporting planets decreased accordingly. The number dropped to a few thousand planets and kept on plummeting.

Even SETI proponents acknowledged the problem. Peter Schenkel wrote in a 2006 piece for Skeptical Inquirer magazine: “In light of new findings and insights, it seems appropriate to put excessive euphoria to rest . . . . We should quietly admit that the early estimates . . . may no longer be tenable.”

As factors continued to be discovered, the number of possible planets hit zero, and kept going. In other words, the odds turned against any planet in the universe supporting life, including this one. Probability said that even we shouldn’t be here.

Today there are more than 200 known parameters necessary for a planet to support life—every single one of which must be perfectly met, or the whole thing falls apart. Without a massive planet like Jupiter nearby, whose gravity will draw away asteroids, a thousand times as many would hit Earth’s surface. The odds against life in the universe are simply astonishing.

Yet here we are, not only existing, but talking about existing. What can account for it? Can every one of those many parameters have been perfect by accident? At what point is it fair to admit that science suggests that we cannot be the result of random forces? Doesn’t assuming that an intelligence created these perfect conditions require far less faith than believing that a life-sustaining Earth just happened to beat the inconceivable odds to come into being?

There’s more. The fine-tuning necessary for life to exist on a planet is nothing compared with the fine-tuning required for the universe to exist at all. For example, astrophysicists now know that the values of the four fundamental forces—gravity, the electromagnetic force, and the “strong” and “weak” nuclear forces—were determined less than one millionth of a second after the big bang. Alter any one value and the universe could not exist. For instance, if the ratio between the nuclear strong force and the electromagnetic force had been off by the tiniest fraction of the tiniest fraction—by even one part in 100,000,000,000,000,000—then no stars could have ever formed at all. Feel free to gulp.

Multiply that single parameter by all the other necessary conditions, and the odds against the universe existing are so heart-stoppingly astronomical that the notion that it all “just happened” defies common sense. It would be like tossing a coin and having it come up heads 10 quintillion times in a row. Really?

Fred Hoyle, the astronomer who coined the term “big bang,” said that his atheism was “greatly shaken” at these developments. He later wrote that “a common-sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a super-intellect has monkeyed with the physics, as well as with chemistry and biology . . . . The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question.”

Theoretical physicist Paul Davies has said that “the appearance of design is overwhelming” and Oxford professor Dr. John Lennox has said “the more we get to know about our universe, the more the hypothesis that there is a Creator . . . gains in credibility as the best explanation of why we are here.”

The greatest miracle of all time, without any close seconds, is the universe. It is the miracle of all miracles, one that ineluctably points with the combined brightness of every star to something—or Someone—beyond itself. - Eric Metaxas

Long story made short..... the answer to the Big Question is:  We don't know.  Yet. 

I'm cool with that.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I think it is best to refer to Julian Jaynes at this point;

"On the Origins of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind".

Unfortunately,ladies and gentlemen you are all possessed of both a left brain and a right one.

So to quote a previous poster (in another context) we are all deluded and stuck in a dualistic battle between rationality and logic and the reverse..

The Greeks recognized this-the battle between the Apollonian and the Dionysian.

Best of luck!

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

On April 14, 2019 at 10:27 PM, mauGR1 said:

We can't understand the concept of infinite, we can't understand lots of other things.

I think it's logical to think there are superior beings, and an intelligent design.

You don't throw around randomly screws and bolts and metal planks to build an airplane, right ?

People who mock God, mock something they don't understand.

I like your last statement. Personally I believe in God, but I also understand like most things it depends how far you have evolved on the spiritual ladder......just look how you grew from being a child and the knowledge you had then, and then your evolvement to the person you are today and the much vaster knowledge that comes with that. Spirituality works in somewhat the same way, as you grow and evolve and have thousands of experiences of God and Spirit, so your knowledge expands as you move towards enlightenment. If you dismiss God and Spirit completely out of hand, then that shows you and us where you are in your progression. There is no right and wrong, there is only experience and growth. Where you are in this lifetime at this moment is perfect, and in five minutes, or five years, or twenty years, you could be in a completely different place, and it is all good.

If you have any interest in looking further than this moment, go to MSIA.ORG and in the Search mode type in Journey of a Soul. When the page appears scroll down until that title is there and click on that. This will give you access to a free downloadable ebook.

Enjoy the next part of your spiritual journey in this physical world.

And may your God Bless You.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On April 14, 2019 at 10:28 PM, marcusarelus said:

How about those who deny medical treatment to their children in the name of god?  How about those who stone women in the name of god?  How about those who commit mass suicide in the name of god?  Is that OK?

Of course it isn't okay. But those are humans using the name of God to rationalize their behavior. Doesn't really have a whole lot to do with God. If people go off killing others in Another person's name, is the other person responsible for their actions? Of course not. People have used their twisted thinking for millenniums to do crazy stuff......but that is them, and them only.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I like your last statement. Personally I believe in God, but I also understand like most things it depends how far you have evolved on the spiritual ladder......just look how you grew from being a child and the knowledge you had then, and then your evolvement to the person you are today and the much vaster knowledge that comes with that. Spirituality works in somewhat the same way, as you grow and evolve and have thousands of experiences of God and Spirit, so your knowledge expands as you move towards enlightenment. If you dismiss God and Spirit completely out of hand, then that shows you and us where you are in your progression. There is no right and wrong, there is only experience and growth. Where you are in this lifetime at this moment is perfect, and in five minutes, or five years, or twenty years, you could be in a completely different place, and it is all good.

If you have any interest in looking further than this moment, go to MSIA.ORG and in the Search mode type in Journey of a Soul. When the page appears scroll down until that title is there and click on that. This will give you access to a free downloadable ebook.

Enjoy the next part of your spiritual journey in this physical world.

And may your God Bless You.

Noooooooooo thank you....Oh, but who wrote the eBook...?

If it were an extraterrestrial it maybe a good read for me...But an Earthbound bloke, nope..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Yes, Jesus didn't burn my toast, and that bloody purple monster did repeatedly. I know who I'm praying to in the future. 555

But abusing the toaster was kinda fun wasn't it?

Now..I abuse my computer regularly..

Instead of placating it with joss sticks and gifts of food..

The results are obvious.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2019 at 9:38 PM, quandow said:

I believe life had some sort of intelligent design, and as I've pulled human remains out of a submerged plane crash and observed the lack of life, there is something about humans having a soul. It's even been weighed.

''It's even been wei ghed''.  

Don't think so.  Some crackpot doctor in 1901 attempted to weigh it.  

Came in at 21 grams. Can you weigh something that doesn't exist ?

How much does the tooth fairy weigh ? or an angel,? or santa.?

875925480_ScreenShot2019-04-18at13_17_15.png.5cb5f526ca88f7d7b523939367b79287.png

That will be the 21 gram soul.   Surprisingly science at the time was skeptical, and still is..   

Basic science he should have known:

For something to have weight it has to have mass, therefore volume.

If the soul has the same density of lead 11.34 g/cm3 the volume of the soul  would be 1.85 cm3

If the same as polystyrene 1.04 g/cm3. vol = 20.2 cm/3    [think that's right]

This assumes the soul is a solid homogeneous object.  A hollow soul would be bigger.

So where is it?

The nutjob then went on to murder 15 innocent dogs to weigh their souls.

conclusion ? they don't have one.   QED.   

Another loon tried it with mice,  replicated the same result.   So no mice or dogs in heaven.

Next experiment he tried to photograph the 21 gram soul leaving the body.  Epic fail.

1010341481_ScreenShot2019-04-18at13_37_25.png.344fffcc93327a8dd73359e09dbdaedc.png

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, reenatinnakor said:

Every culture have their own beliefs and comfort system and superstitions. We all know here in Thailand monks are revered and Thais think they can grant wishes... Which as we all know is bullshit, as I keep telling the gf, if monks really could grant wishes then there'll be no poor people in thailand. For the west the idea of jesus and god is our comfort system. For the chinese it's the idea of bai san, or respecting the dead.

I'm atheist and only believe in science but I do respect others superstitions and beliefs as long as they respect mine to not believe! Off course at the end of the day there is definitely no God like there was no Zeus, or Thor, or Posseidon. Man just hasn't had enough time to prove it yet. Last week we were finally able to see what a black hole looks like. One day we will be able to prove there's no God despite the fact that the burden of proof should be on those that believe there is a God.

I, unexpectedly, had to return to the UK for 2 weeks (returned last night). My wife rushed to the Wat and had the monk bless a piece of white string to tie around my wrist and ensure my return and safety whilst I was away.

After 2 days in the UK, I fell and cracked a rib and broke a bone in the same hand that I was wearing the string. First time that I have suffered a broken bone in 30 years. Won't be wearing silly string again.

When I reported this to my wife she replied, "If you hadn't worn the string, you would have died." You can't argue with Thai logic!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, yodsak said:

''It's even been wei ghed''.  

Don't think so.  Some crackpot doctor in 1901 attempted to weigh it.  

Came in at 21 grams. Can you weigh something that doesn't exist ?

How much does the tooth fairy weigh ? or an angel,? or santa.?

875925480_ScreenShot2019-04-18at13_17_15.png.5cb5f526ca88f7d7b523939367b79287.png

That will be the 21 gram soul.   Surprisingly science at the time was skeptical, and still is..   

Basic science he should have known:

For something to have weight it has to have mass, therefore volume.

If the soul has the same density of lead 11.34 g/cm3 the volume of the soul  would be 1.85 cm3

If the same as polystyrene 1.04 g/cm3. vol = 20.2 cm/3    [think that's right]

This assumes the soul is a solid homogeneous object.  A hollow soul would be bigger.

So where is it?

The nutjob then went on to murder 15 innocent dogs to weigh their souls.

conclusion ? they don't have one.   QED.   

Another loon tried it with mice,  replicated the same result.   So no mice or dogs in heaven.

Next experiment he tried to photograph the 21 gram soul leaving the body.  Epic fail.

1010341481_ScreenShot2019-04-18at13_37_25.png.344fffcc93327a8dd73359e09dbdaedc.png

The basic difference is that humans tend to defecate and urinate at the moment of death.

Judging by my daily load, I would lose more than 21 grams.

3 minutes ago, Scutty said:

No offence to those who dont believe in anything . We just find that a bit sad for you really .

But you don't know what I believe in do you.....?

If I told you, you probably would not be sad and ????