Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

10 hours ago, johnray said:

I believe in Satan because he punishes the bad.

No, it is god who punish, the devil only gave us sex drugs and blues, even some think it was Rockn Roll, the blues is the devils music. Satan rockers can go an hide, they do not seduce as good as a good blues. 

10 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Actually you do try to convince others of your point of view, just like everyone else. Only difference is that you do it without any valid arguments. ????????

This tread is a very good example of hidden insults, insults, pissing contests, and who is more enlightend than others, also as we call It in Norwegian translated to english a very good piece of "Master supression techniques. It is many different people in here, but what brings them together here is their ego to show off ????

Have a wonderful day people of Mother earth, the greates human ruler we ever have known, and will know. 

2 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

The ego shows in every aspect of life. Why should it be any different here?

Do you think you have to be enlightened to talk about enlightenment? 

If you look beyond the egoic shortcomings though, you'll find that every single person possesses a piece of the grand puzzle. The pissing contests come from trying to find where to place your piece in this puzzle. Friction is not necessarily a negative thing. I see it as a normal byproduct of the creative process. 

And you are correct, true as spoken, but still people get annoyed hearing so, or what ? Nobody aknownledge the truth as spoken, if its not a shoulder clap. Ego is a problem, but it is also a great resource to go on, and find the horizon above the sea. Always looking for something new, never rest, still searching, but also aknownledge how little we really know, be humble and accept we do not know, but its a belief and hope we really searching for. Nothing more can we hope for at the end. No matter What you me or other believe in, every single of us, will have doubt when the times runs out. 

• Like 2

Im so glad to find proof like this in science news, and it shows how knownledge and philosophies travelled long time before we thought it could, or at least proove. We have been travelling from day one we existed most likely, and we also have travelled back, not only one way. 

"Polynesians and Native Americans paired up 800 years ago, DNA reveals"

https://www.livescience.com/polynesians-native-americans-dna.html

On 7/8/2020 at 10:52 PM, fredwiggy said:

I'll answer by saying that, although I've cursed him, asked him many times why the worlds so screwed up, why children, and others, die from cancer. Why he put so many nasty things on this earth that kill millions, as if life wasn't hard enough. Why he doesn't step in and help his believers, and punish the rich that are destroying the earth. To me, again, in my case it's faith, that there is something better waiting for those that believe, and I wanted others that believe to share their thoughts, and to hear why others have given up on believing, and maybe something I say might make the ones that are on the borderline, change to believing again.

You write as though God wants people to die from horrible things. IMO a virus is as important as a human to God. God created everything including viruses so they have as much right in creation to exist as humans. I get that people think they are important, but we ain't in a cosmic sense. We humans will exist for a mere blink of time on a cosmic scale. Dinosaurs existed before us and something else will after we are gone. All are of equal importance to God.

We ain't half as important as we like to think we are. God created the entire universe, filled with billions upon billions of planets, but some of us think that we are the only intelligent life in the entire universe. That makes sense only to someone that thinks we are unique.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You write as though God wants people to die from horrible things. IMO a virus is as important as a human to God. God created everything including viruses so they have as much right in creation to exist as humans. I get that people think they are important, but we ain't in a cosmic sense. We humans will exist for a mere blink of time on a cosmic scale. Dinosaurs existed before us and something else will after we are gone. All are of equal importance to God.

We ain't half as important as we like to think we are. God created the entire universe, filled with billions upon billions of planets, but some of us think that we are the only intelligent life in the entire universe. That makes sense only to someone that thinks we are unique.

God created man in his own image, being above all life forms. He saw illnesses as consequences of rejecting him, our creator. He sent his only son Jesus to die for our sins, and that ungrateful man would be the ones killing him. Man was given the choice to honor Gods love or reject it. Some choose to reject it. Man rejected his love bringing all the bad on himself. God doesn't want us to die but live. This isn't the only life we have but a test, a short one before an eternal one.

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2020 at 12:40 PM, fredwiggy said:

we are the only ones that rebelled so much we needed Christ. What about neanderthal and Cro-magnon man? Of course they existed, but weren't like us. Did God make them to give us history? I believe that we all came from Adam and Eve, and that he made races at the Tower of Babel.

1454675644_ScreenShot2020-07-12at06_43_31.png.5cc0c18408bf3499a44eddc936385f5d.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Every time I go to Soi 6 in Pattaya, I know that there is a God, and he has sent angels just for me.  ???? 

The "small head thinking " is the perfect way the nature promotes the reproduction of human beings, and beauty is the living proof that God exists. By our collective, more or less conscious, appreciation of beauty which are in a way, mathematical principles, still extremely different in specific cases, one can see the intelligent design at work.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

The "small head thinking " is the perfect way the nature promotes the reproduction of human beings, and beauty is the living proof that God exists. By our collective, more or less conscious, appreciation of beauty which are in a way, mathematical principles, still extremely different in specific cases, one can see the intelligent design at work.

I doesnt need to be beauty, it is everthing that coexists and nothing is here by coincidence, But from there to know what gods want (reply to previous posts above) is quite far fetched. Repeat myself, nobody know god wants who travel this planet, Im positive sure about that. If he had a will for us, he would be on television and broadcast his will for us every day every night, and not come trough charlatans claiming they know what god want for us. 

if he had the chance, he would be here among us, guiding us teaching us, and wanted to share his greatness with us on daily basis. After read the texts in bible, Im 100% sure he would want to do so. 

That is my strongest card to prove tora, bible and koran wrong, and they are the same blood, same god. 

If buddha lived today, he would have been furious seeing what people doing in his name. Gold temples and money collecting from the poor people. Shame on us letting this happens in god and buddhas name. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The events and timing as described in the book of Genesis are an allegory.

Taken literally they obviously do not make any sense at all.

Understood as an allegory they provide answers to existential questions about creation.

Scientists that mock those that take it literally, and waste time and effort to prove that the events and timing as descibed in the book of Genesis are not possible, actually demonstrate that their thinking is as shallow as that of those they make fun of.

Another thing in Yodsak post, is there is no human races, we are all one race, not races. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I doesnt need to be beauty, it is everthing that coexists and nothing is here by coincidence, But from there to know what gods want (reply to previous posts above) is quite far fetched. Repeat myself, nobody know god wants who travel this planet, Im positive sure about that. If he had a will for us, he would be on television and broadcast his will for us every day every night, and not come trough charlatans claiming they know what god want for us. 

if he had the chance, he would be here among us, guiding us teaching us, and wanted to share his greatness with us on daily basis. After read the texts in bible, Im 100% sure he would want to do so. 

That is my strongest card to prove tora, bible and koran wrong, and they are the same blood, same god. 

If buddha lived today, he would have been furious seeing what people doing in his name. Gold temples and money collecting from the poor people. Shame on us letting this happens in god and buddhas name. 

Agree with the very first line as well as the last paragraph of your post.

The in-between text I strongly disagree with, but do not deny your right to your opinions on this.

It will probably create some discussion on the thread, and Ivor will be happy again!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Agree with the very first line as well as the last paragraph of your post.

The in-between text I strongly disagree with, but do not deny your right to your opinions on this.

It will probably create some discussion on the thread, and Ivor will be happy again!

Im positive god whould have showed himself for the people and not a handful claiming they do, and leaving charlatans and others to lead us. However when you know how big the galaxy, univers, and multiverses are, you know we have only been here a short fraction of time, and maybe he will come by when he have time ???? who knows. In meantime, mother earth gives and takes. Without our sun, moon and the physical laws, None would have been here in the first place. It is pure math

So if we are want to please god, we should take better care of the people on it, and the nature surraunding us, then I think god would be happy. Simple as it is

edit note take better care of humans, animals and nature. 

Edited by Tagged

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

Im positive god whould have showed himself for the people and not a handful claiming they do, and leaving charlatans and others to lead us. However when you know how big the galaxy, univers, and multiverses are, you know we have only been here a short fraction of time, and maybe he will come by when he have time ???? who knows. In meantime, mother earth gives and takes. Without our sun, moon and the physical laws, None would have been here in the first place. It is pure math

So if we are want to please god, we should take better care of the people on it, and the nature surraunding us, then I think god would be happy. Simple as it is

edit note take better care of humans, animals and nature. 

Your quest for God, has to start within yourself. 

Demanding that God shows himself to you is useless if you are not open or ready for such revelation.

Readiness also implies that through the Law of 'Resonance you will meet the people and information that you need (and are ready for). 

Note: Nothing is by coincidence. You can only be deceived by charlatans and fake leaders, as long as you didn't listen to your Inner Voice and made the first steps on the path to God. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Your quest for God, has to start within yourself. 

Demanding that God shows himself to you is useless if you are not open or ready for such revelation.

Readiness also implies that through the Law of 'Resonance you will meet the people and information that you need (and are ready for). 

Note: Nothing is by coincidence. You can only be deceived by charlatans and fake leaders, as long as you didn't listen to your Inner Voice and made the first steps on the path to God. 

I think I have written exactly that Many times in this tread, and was refering to the written word of god, how he demand, glorify And advertise for his paradis next life. To be true, its almost like I see trump right there up in the sky. 

On 6/12/2020 at 12:40 PM, fredwiggy said:

I believe that we all came from Adam and Eve, and that he made races at the Tower of Babel.

Adam and Eve is a well known fiction, but not so much the concept of 'races'. Anybody who falls for that nonsense will sooner or later succumb to beliefs and attitudes of racism. 

Some scientific sources:

Race is a cultural construct that groups people together based on perceived biological similarities.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/culturalanthropology/chapter/ethnicity-race/

Is there enough biological difference within the human species to classify human beings into groups?
YES, Human variation is real and important.
Do these classifications represent consistencies, patterns and concordances equivalent to traditional race ideas?
NO, biological variation much more complex than traditional race categories.
Skin color Distribution ~1500AD (see also Lavenda and Schultz, 62, 75)

https://www.livinganthropologically.com/anthropology-2016/evolution-and-race/

Anthropologists have established that ingrained prejudices have often had far more to do with these racial definitions than have the real physical characteristics of people. “Race” in these investigations by cultural anthropologists is conceived of as a cultural construction, not a biological fact. It is in reality a kind of ideology, a way of thinking about, speaking about, and orga- nizing relationships among human groups: Who is your friend, or enemy? Who is a neighbor, or a foreigner? This ideological understanding of race may use the language of physical features when talking about group differences, but biology is not fundamentally important to the ways that these groups are defined.

http://anthropology.msu.edu/anp489-fs16/files/2012/08/Race-in-anthropology.pdf

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The events and timing as described in the book of Genesis are an allegory.

Taken literally they obviously do not make any sense at all.

Good point! However, there are still large numbers of religious people, whether Christians or not, who continue to take the stories in the Bible, and other religious texts, literally.

From the following Gallup poll:
https://news.gallup.com/poll/210704/record-few-americans-believe-bible-literal-word-god.aspx

"From the mid-1970s through 1984, close to 40% of Americans considered the Bible the literal word of God, but this has been declining ever since, along with a shrinking percentage of self-identified Christians in the U.S. Meanwhile, the percentage defining the Bible as mere stories has doubled, with much of that change occurring in the past three years."

As of 2017, it seems that only 24% of Americans believe the Bible is literally the word of God, but that's still a significant number.

What's also very pertinent is that even some Christians with a science degree believe in the literal, historical accuracy of the Genesis stories. Consider the following article:
https://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/138957812/evangelicals-question-the-existence-of-adam-and-eve

"From my viewpoint, a historical Adam and Eve is absolutely central to the truth claims of the Christian faith," says Fazale Rana, vice president of Reasons To Believe, an evangelical think tank that questions evolution. Rana, who has a Ph.D. in biochemistry from Ohio University, readily admits that small details of Scripture could be wrong.

Rana and others believe in a literal, historical Adam and Eve for many reasons. One is that the Genesis account makes man unique, created in the image of God — not a descendant of lower primates. Second, it tells a story of how evil came into the world, and it's not a story in which God introduced evil through the process of evolution, but one in which Adam and Eve decided to disobey God and eat the forbidden fruit."

Scientists that mock those that take it literally, and waste time and effort to prove that the events and timing as described in the book of Genesis are not possible, actually demonstrate that their thinking is as shallow as that of those they make fun of.

I agree that 'mocking' someone's belief system serves little purpose and is similar to an 'ad hominem' insult. However, I don't see that explaining the processes of evolution to someone who takes the 'Adam and Eve' story literally, is necessarily a waste of time. It might eventually result in that person accepting that the Biblical stories are allegories, as you have suggested they are.

I suspect that many deeply religious people are simply ignorant of the processes of 'evolution'. For example, I recall one conversation I had with a Jehovah Witness proselytizer many years ago which demonstrated this. I made the point that I thought the Darwinian Theory of Evolution was a much better and more reasonable explanation for the creation of man than the Biblical story in Genesis.

The Jehovah Witness guy responded by asking me if I thought it was reasonable that a human eye, with all its wonder and complexity, could suddenly be created by a genetic mutation.

It was obvious the guy didn't even have a basic understanding of the processes of evolution, so I then explained to him that a complex organ like the human eye, and the eyes of all creatures on our planet, evolved very gradually during periods of millions of years, and as a result of billions of subtle genetic mutations during those million of years, that would have favoured survival at that particular time and place.  In other words, "Survival of the 'fittest', or 'most adaptable' to the environment."

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, teatime101 said:

Adam and Eve is a well known fiction, but not so much the concept of 'races'. Anybody who falls for that nonsense will sooner or later succumb to beliefs and attitudes of racism. 

Some scientific sources:

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/culturalanthropology/chapter/ethnicity-race/

https://www.livinganthropologically.com/anthropology-2016/evolution-and-race/

http://anthropology.msu.edu/anp489-fs16/files/2012/08/Race-in-anthropology.pdf

Adam and Eve, although hard to understand that everyone came from just two people, or 8 when the big flood happened, cannot be proven fiction. If there is a God (As we believe), then any entity that can make a universe out of his mind, can surely put aside dna differences, inbreeding and such at that time, and make all races at the Tower of Babel, like we believe happened. And since I'm a believer in such a thing, you think I'm a racist? far from it. Everyone is equal in my eyes, with the exceptions of child molesters, human traffickers, filthy rich that rape the earth for profit, corrupt politicians and officials. These aren't humans anyway, and the only place for them is off the planet. Reading what you do from "scientific" resources means nothing. That's their opinions and they can be wrong, because they are humans.and capable of mistakes.I can't prove God exists, and you can't prove otherwise, which brings us back to the original post. Do you and why?

1 hour ago, VincentRJ said:

It was obvious the guy didn't even have a basic understanding of the processes of evolution, so I then explained to him that a complex organ like the human eye, and the eyes of all creatures on our planet, evolved very gradually during periods of millions of years, and as a result of billions of subtle genetic mutations during those million of years, that would have favoured survival at that particular time and place.  In other words, "Survival of the 'fittest', or 'most adaptable' to the environment."

I find it quite remarkable that people still think life on earth is Only created on earth, and not other places evolving for endless times, and spread around in the galaxies and universes. It is plausible "DNA" have travelled space and Survived landing here on earth, and evolved here since the beginning of earths beginning at some point. Another plausable theory, is some creators (Call them XY Nasa) could have sent a space ship to fertilize our planet from their planet. We might do that one day as well. Who knows. 

Edited by Tagged

43 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

races at the Tower of Babel

This is the point I am challenging. Race is not a thing. It's a social construction for the purpose of asserting the power of a dominant group. That religious people would use the term at all is abhorrent, IMO.

Belief in God is fine. It's the moralising baggage and anti-science nonsense that comes with it that concerns me.

Edited by teatime101

3 minutes ago, yodsak said:

990957765_ScreenShot2020-07-12at17_03_12.png.e137a6f4ffaa59db9b079d201efe9475.png

I can agree with the first 3 paragraphs, when 'creationists' refers to those taking the Scriptures literally. 

However, those that make a case for Intelligent Design do not belong to that group, and they certainly don't deny evolution but don't see it as the ONLY factor that explains the Why of our existence (or of everything in the Universe for that matter).

The last paragraph - attacking 'faith' - is not a logical consequence of his previous dismissal of creationism, but is simply his black-and-white opinion that there are no rational grounds for faith.  A rather dogmatic way of thinking...

14 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

his black-and-white opinion

Are you referring to Ayn Rand?

She is known for her two best-selling novels, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, and for developing a philosophical system she named Objectivism.

She has been a significant influence among libertarians and American conservatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand