Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

13 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, I didn't expect a confused emoji, after answering your question as politely and as clearly as I can.

And it's not the first time.

Although it's certainly allowed by forum rules, I consider this as the worst trolling, and an insult.

But I take the full blame, it's my mistake to expect fairness and good manners from certain people.

I will ignore further replies from you for today ☺

You claim to be insulted because on a simple question from myself ( I am not able to express myself otherwise in English } you answered in a way I don't understand at all.

I mentioned my confusion, and immediately posted why.

So I don't buy at all your outraging. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, I enjoy a fair discussion, if you say my opinion confuses you, I can try to explain better, that's it. That's what civilised people do imho.

If you serially throw confused emojis at my posts, you won't get much respect from me.

Just saying.

Nooooo, I had that stuff with door step Jehovah Witness folk...????

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Nooooo, I had that stuff with door step Jehovah Witness folk...????

Did i ever come to you and bother you ?

I also like humour, but, honestly, comparing me to some door-knocking, boring Jehovah witness is not something i would consider even slightly amusing.????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

I was reading the other day in one of the newspapers ,that scientists think that there was another universe even before the Big Bang ,,so hard to comprehend it all ,perhaps thats why so many people prefere to believe in God.

Yep, they are so intelligent that, after reading this thread, they understood that nothing could have come out of nothing ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I was reading the other day in one of the newspapers ,that scientists think that there was another universe even before the Big Bang ,,so hard to comprehend it all ,perhaps thats why so many people prefere to believe in God.

Perhaps some do. For some it's surely easier to acquire outside ideas, instead of producing their own. Then they willingly become slaves to the dogmas of one system or another, without ever questioning the sources of that system.

This behaviour is not limited to God believers alone however. Materialistic believers are just as affected.

Personally I think that many, including me, prefer not to believe in a simplistic, mechanistic working universe, because they have reasons to believe or have subjective evidence (through personal experience) that that is not the way the universe works. 

So they look for different models that can make better sense of it all and include those findings.

It's not even a matter of choice, just like you can not choose to unknow what you know. 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Perhaps some do. For some it's surely easier to acquire outside ideas, instead of producing their own. Then they willingly become slaves to the dogmas of one system or another, without ever questioning the sources of that system.

This behaviour is not limited to God believers alone however. Materialistic believers are just as affected.

Personally I think that many, including me, prefer not to believe in a simplistic, mechanistic working universe, because they have reasons to believe or have subjective evidence (through personal experience) that that is not the way the universe works. 

So they look for different models that can make better sense of it all and include those findings.

It's not even a matter of choice, just like you can not choose to unknow what you know. 

All ideas are related to pre-existing outside ideas which all individuals are exposed to, in varying detail and type, as they go through life from the moment they are born, and even to some extent in the womb before they are born, such as being exposed to the sound of music which can influence the new born baby's appreciation of a particular type of music.

Questioning certain ideas within a culture where those ideas are deeply entrenched, can be very troublesome, and can often have dire consequences for the individual, as history has shown. However, the 'Methodology of Science' depends on such questioning for progress in science to take place.

We should also clarify what 'Materialism' means. Matter is not the same as energy. A photon has no mass, therefore it cannot be considered as matter, yet most people accept that light exists. Gravity also is not matter, but everyone can feel its effects.

Through questioning accepted beliefs, Physicist are now trying confirm the hypothesis that Dark Matter and Dark Energy exists. This is a monumental task but has to be addressed, especially considering the claim (hypothesis) that possibly 95% of all the matter and energy in the universe falls into this category of Dark (invisible) Matter and Dark (undetectable) Energy.

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Denis said:

Yes I do, Belgian humor > so by definition surrealistic. 

Your post 10054 was supposed to be funny.

It was for at least 4 members.

My post 10060 was suppose to be funny too, a translation of a sophisticated pun of Mr. Raymond Devos. 

It seems it was a poor attend,

wrong audience.

1 hour ago, VincentRJ said:

All ideas are related to pre-existing outside ideas which all individuals are exposed to, in varying detail and type, as they go through life from the moment they are born, and even to some extent in the womb before they are born, such as being exposed to the sound of music which can influence the new born baby's appreciation of a particular type of music.

Belief systems and the associated ideas are not just made of pre-existing outside ideas. They are a part of it though.

Beliefs are generally formed in two ways: by our experiences, inferences and deductions, or by accepting what others tell us to be true. Most of our core beliefs are formed when we are children. When we are born, we enter this world with a clean slate and without preconceived beliefs.

http://www.skilledatlife.com/how-beliefs-are-formed-and-how-to-change-them/

On 10/9/2020 at 11:38 AM, mauGR1 said:

After seeing "impossible" things with my own eyes, I have no doubt that everything is possible.

It's also possible for 2 persons, or 2 parties, to be exactly in the right, and yet get into a fight.

Such is life.

"everything" already exists therefore I assume that "everything" is possible.As stated previously "everything" is my definition of God therefore if everything exists then God exists.Seeing "impossible" things by definition should "not" be "possible".Hard to believe really!

16 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

"Universe" means "one" and not two or more.I think a better description is multiverses within "The" universe."Universe" is for me interchangeable with the concept of God but I've been told I can't define God that way even though I have so they are wrong.I think these scientists realise that there were coming off as a bit stupid suggesting that the universe was created from nothing in less than a second before which the was no time and that nothing existed before the big bang.I think they have trouble comprehending infinity and can't comprehend that the universe might always have existed and that it goes for ever and not just 14 billion light years as some suggested even Doctor Carl has changed his view on this silly idea.Some are now suggesting that the big bang is a cyclic event with many big bangs before the last one,a bit like the little bags in an fuel engine.

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Nothing must be something,

as there is a "less than nothing".

Nothing cannot be something unless it's a thing which of course it is,as it's a concept therefore it's not nothing therefore if nothing cannot be nothing then something cannot be nothing.As you rightly suggest there is less than nothing and that less than nothing is -,minus,or negative something in which case it becomes something and not really less than nothing.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

"everything" already exists therefore I assume that "everything" is possible.As stated previously "everything" is my definition of God therefore if everything exists then God exists.Seeing "impossible" things by definition should "not" be "possible".Hard to believe really!

Yes, you are right, I used the wrong word.

In fact I should have said "unbelievable" things, or things which defy physics.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Through questioning accepted beliefs, Physicist are now trying confirm the hypothesis that Dark Matter and Dark Energy exists. This is a monumental task but has to be addressed, especially considering the claim (hypothesis) that possibly 95% of all the matter and energy in the universe falls into this category of Dark (invisible) Matter and Dark (undetectable) Energy.

Really? Who cares- it's not going to make any difference to anyone living on planet earth whether dark matter exists or not.

19 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I already covered that many pages ago. Nice to know that scientists have finally caught up with me.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Really? Who cares- it's not going to make any difference to anyone living on planet earth whether dark matter exists or not.

They said the same thing over a hundred years ago when scientists discovered radio waves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, you are right, I used the wrong word.

In fact I should have said "unbelievable" things, or things which defy physics.

I did assume you meant extraordinary things but what you said is correct.Physics seems to be mostly about the physical but there is I suspect much which isn't physical and can't be explained by physics.

17 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I did assume you meant extraordinary things but what you said is correct.Physics seems to be mostly about the physical but there is I suspect much which isn't physical and can't be explained by physics.

I saw you were talking about multi-verses a few posts back, which sounds plausible to me.

I believe there are spiritual realms, compenetrating and permeating our physical reality.

Those realms are all connected, being part of the same reality, and although the doors may be narrow, there are passages among them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Elad said:

They said the same thing over a hundred years ago when scientists discovered radio waves.

Yet those potentially fantastic achievements don't seem to improve the quality of life, unless you consider over-population, and consequent loss of freedom, an improvement.

• Thanks 1

Ha! Just reread Nietzche, interesting quote:

"But when Zarathustra was alone again, he spoke thus to his heart: could this be possible! This old holy man in his forest has heard nothing of this yet, that God is dead."

(Thus Spoke Zarathustra, first part, prologue 2).

It seems some of us are still playing catch up - ISIS, the Catholic Church, &c.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Yet those potentially fantastic achievements don't seem to improve the quality of life, unless you consider over-population, and consequent loss of freedom, an improvement.

What!! You think life was better hundreds, or thousands, of years ago? Amazing!!

Because of the widespread and instantaneous modern news coverage, it's easy to be duped into thinking that modern life might have a greater number of chaotic accidents, riots, murders, wars and so on, than in the past, especially considering that news always tends to focus on tragic events.

But this is far from the truth. From what I've read of history, life for most people was absolutely awful hundreds or thousands of years ago, compared with modern conditions.
Even during the early 19th century in Victorian Britain, life for most people in London was awful, with stinking sewerage, rampant diseases, high child mortality, and extreme poverty.

Around 2,500 years ago in India, a prince named 'Siddhartha Gautama', lived a very sheltered and pampered life in a palace, as a youth and young adult. In his 20's, when he went outside the palace to explore his surroundings, he was absolutely shocked and dismayed to see so much poverty, sickness and suffering. It had such a profound effect on him he decided to leave his wife and child to search for the solution, beginning with the traditional practices of asceticism in India at that time, fasting almost to the point of death, then eventually reaching a state of enlightenment which he spent the rest of his life trying to teach.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

What!! You think life was better hundreds, or thousands, of years ago? Amazing!!

Because of the widespread and instantaneous modern news coverage, it's easy to be duped into thinking that modern life might have a greater number of chaotic accidents, riots, murders, wars and so on, than in the past, especially considering that news always tends to focus on tragic events.

But this is far from the truth. From what I've read of history, life for most people was absolutely awful hundreds or thousands of years ago, compared with modern conditions.
Even during the early 19th century in Victorian Britain, life for most people in London was awful, with stinking sewerage, rampant diseases, high child mortality, and extreme poverty.

Around 2,500 years ago in India, a prince named 'Siddhartha Gautama', lived a very sheltered and pampered life in a palace, as a youth and young adult. In his 20's, when he went outside the palace to explore his surroundings, he was absolutely shocked and dismayed to see so much poverty, sickness and suffering. It had such a profound effect on him he decided to leave his wife and child to search for the solution, beginning with the traditional practices of asceticism in India at that time, fasting almost to the point of death, then eventually reaching a state of enlightenment which he spent the rest of his life trying to teach.

When I was young I used to speak to old people.

Most were in agreement that modern life has advantages and disadvantages.

When I was living in Himalayan villages in the end of 70s, the locals had no technology except electricity, and not everywhere, yet they seem to be happier than anyone I've met in the West.

• Like 1