Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

@Sunmaster

@mauGR1

@thaibeachlovers

Assuming for a brief time and for the sake of the thread and the discussion...that your "god", "spirit", "higher power" exists. Donning my "believer's hat" if you will. Since we're all on the same page now, my question is...What are the proven benefits? How do these gods/spirits/higher powers benefit humankind? The Earth? Our fellow Earthlings? This is serious inquiry and would appreciate solid actual answers. 

I was chastised previously for asking this very question, but my query was (unintentionally I'm sure) misconstrued as asking for personal benefits and gain...which was not at all the case. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Please enlighten as to the benefits and betterment for our planet and ALL it's inhabitants. Please respond with facts and evidence of proven such benefits. 

Am honestly and anxiously awaiting replies. Thank you kindly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

@Sunmaster

@mauGR1

@thaibeachlovers

Assuming for a brief time and for the sake of the thread and the discussion...that your "god", "spirit", "higher power" exists. Donning my "believer's hat" if you will. Since we're all on the same page now, my question is...What are the proven benefits? How do these gods/spirits/higher powers benefit humankind? The Earth? Our fellow Earthlings? This is serious inquiry and would appreciate solid actual answers. 

I was chastised previously for asking this very question, but my query was (unintentionally I'm sure) misconstrued as asking for personal benefits and gain...which was not at all the case. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Please enlighten as to the benefits and betterment for our planet and ALL it's inhabitants. Please respond with facts and evidence of proven such benefits. 

Am honestly and anxiously awaiting replies. Thank you kindly. 

It's obvious

He/she can suspend the laws of Physics for those who bring them gifts. So is they all brought gifts to them and not to others would have the benefit of Magic!!

A pretty good marketing plan for getting all the god business if you ask me. 

• Like 1

Well, i posted a zillion posts on this thread, anyone interested in what i think can read them, it's free.

I have a question however, for the dear atheists.. Suppose i ask you to tell me about a person which you love and respect, your mother or your wife, or your children, or even your country, your hometown, your job or your hobbies, and then i start to ridicule your answers and make a mockery of what you say...

How would you feel ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

god is just an imagination that everyone has been brought up with at church and therefore to believe.

there is no god, there never has been any god and common sense tells you it's just a myth.

life is that you are born and then die ….   no heaven, no nothing just birth and death.  simple really  !!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I share your opinion.

I have no problem with people who have a different opinion

However I have a problem with some of them who try to convince me that I am wrong, and arrogantly proclaim that they are the only

ones knowing the truth.

Well said, but this should go both ways!

I had people here telling me that I'm wrong, emotionally needy, delusional, crazy and whatnot...laught at, ridiculed, even blocked for answering a question. 

Seems like the 'rational' brigade is far more emotional than they care to admit. ????

10 hours ago, yodsak said:

885069150_ScreenShot2019-12-07at14_21_39.png.af1288913d6efd9d3a1dc812b6e54404.png

This is a great point that I have previously partially pointed out. ALL gods, regardless of which one (or even definition of such), seem to be the HideNSeek Champs of the Universe. Ironic that every single one EVER remains forever hidden. Even when claimants say they're not hidden, but you're gonna have to do all sorts of hoop jumping and other silliness to take their HideNSeek crowns from them. 

The invisible and nonexistent look very much alike. -Delos McKown

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Hinduism it seems there are 33 Million Gods. Now who could have found this out and how? How is it possible to worship each of these 33M individually? To be fair, we cannot deny that they dont exist, either. Due to all these variations, it seems humans are divided and they even go to war due to religion, let alone minor skirmishes that happen at random.

Hence... the question arises, would humanity be better with religion or without religion?

11 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i posted a zillion posts on this thread, anyone interested in what i think can read them, it's free.

I have a question however, for the dear atheists.. Suppose i ask you to tell me about a person which you love and respect, your mother or your wife, or your children, or even your country, your hometown, your job or your hobbies, and then i start to ridicule your answers and make a mockery of what you say...

How would you feel ?

Not nearly a "zillion", but have to admit it sure feels like it! ????????????

I can describe clearly and concisely all those people and things you're referencing above because they actually exist. Not only that, but MOST if not all, people can...and have those things and people too and can totally relate to at least some of them. ALL people, not just atheists, will react in different ways. Some indifferently, some emotionally, some angrily, etc. 

People have mocked many things...my diet: vegan. My hobbies and passions: birds, bugs and photographing them. My home town: Masaryktown, FL (aka Chicken Hell)! I Couldn't give a ???? less for the most part. My hobbies and passions and loved ones, etc are for me...not for everyone else. 

Please describe what you're claiming is being mocked and ridiculed and causing such an emotional appeal...in a clear, concise way in which everyone can relate. 

8 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Well said, but this should go both ways!

To avoid any extreme reactions 

every statement should start with the mention :

"It is my opinion that..."

Not presenting a belief/way of thinking as the only truth but as a personal approach;

which of course one can defend, but with respect for others people theory. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

god is just an imagination that everyone has been brought up with at church and therefore to believe.

there is no god, there never has been any god and common sense tells you it's just a myth.

life is that you are born and then die ….   no heaven, no nothing just birth and death.  simple really  !!

You show great faith with that statement. I am sure you have studied this and come up with the empirical evidence. Because to believe so strongly without evidence is crazy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

believe so strongly without evidence is crazy. 

Every believe without evidence is "crazy", according to me. 

However the so called "evidence", when it concern "belief" is not accepted as being so by everybody, which as that moment lose his admissibility. 

29 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Every believe without evidence is "crazy", according to me. 

However the so called "evidence", when it concern "belief" is not accepted as being so by everybody, which as that moment lose his admissibility. 

So therefore I cannot believe you then when you say there is no God.

• Like 1

In my opinion, most of the atheist are atheist because, for some reason, it's trendy and cool nowadays.

Some because of laziness, some because of lack of training, have never put so much thought into the question.

The main question being, is there an intelligent design at the source of life or not ?

To the best of my logic, i believe that we are what we think, thus my logical choice is being an intelligent design, rather than some disorganized chaos.

Don't forget that, while your material body has a beginning and thus an end, your thoughts don't necessarily belong to the material world, and they may have a longer life, so, be careful what you think. 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

In my opinion, most of the atheist are atheist because, for some reason, it's trendy and cool nowadays.

Some because of laziness, some because of lack of training, have never put so much thought into the question.

The main question being, is there an intelligent design at the source of life or not ?

To the best of my logic, i believe that we are what we think, thus my logical choice is being an intelligent design, rather than some disorganized chaos.

Don't forget that, while your material body has a beginning and thus an end, your thoughts don't necessarily belong to the material world, and they may have a longer life, so, be careful what you think. 

Nonsense. 

• Like 1

The "crickets" are deafening whenever you 3 are faced with actual inquiry about your claims. Nothing new about that. Been that way for 8 long months now. Ask reasonable questions and get sounds of silence. Speaks loud and clear. 

Nothing new under the sun is spot on! 

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

So therefore I cannot believe you then when you say there is no God.

And of course you are fully entitled to believe or not what you like.

I personally believe there is no God, but I not proclaim that it is undeniable. 

However some here proclaim there is "something" and present this as the only truth. 

Even one here, quote out of a book, pretending this is the absolute proof. 

Good for him,

not good when he tell us we shall all do and think the same. 

See my post #4130#

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

However some here proclaim there is "something" and present this as the only truth. 

So, for you everything came out from "nothing" ?

That is a serious contradiction, as "nothing" doesn't exist by definition.

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

It's quite extraordinary that, the universe simply occurred, is most people's default position. And they say we're crazy

• Like 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

There is no way we can discuss that, as we have different opinions about the matter. 

However I respect your opinion, and certainly don't want to change it.

I assume you feel good with it. 

Wonder if you respect mine?

One I feel good with it too. 

Or are you pretending that your opinion is the only right one, and that I can only find real happiness if I think/believe like you do? 

6 hours ago, ravip said:

In Hinduism it seems there are 33 Million Gods. Now who could have found this out and how? How is it possible to worship each of these 33M individually? To be fair, we cannot deny that they dont exist, either. Due to all these variations, it seems humans are divided and they even go to war due to religion, let alone minor skirmishes that happen at random.

Hence... the question arises, would humanity be better with religion or without religion?

703353814_ScreenShot2019-12-08at14_34_05.png.71874a3143b1439dc849f25692802804.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It's quite extraordinary that, the universe simply occurred, is most people's default position. And they say we're crazy

Yep, extraordinary is an understatement, but let's not disturb if they want to sleep ????

• Like 1

Still waiting....

@thaibeachlovers

@mauGR1

@Sunmaster

Assuming for a brief time...for the sake of the thread and the discussion...that your "god", "spirit", "higher power" exists. Donning my "believer's hat" if you will. Since we're all on the same page now, my question is...What are the proven benefits? How do these gods/spirits/higher powers benefit humankind? The Earth? Our fellow Earthlings?

I was chastised previously for asking this very question, but my query was (unintentionally I'm sure) misconstrued as asking for personal benefits and gain...which was not at all the case. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Please enlighten as to the benefits and betterment for our planet and ALL it's inhabitants. Please respond with facts and evidence of proven such benefits. 

Am honestly and anxiously awaiting replies. Thank you kindly.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

However I respect your opinion, and certainly don't want to change it.

I assume you feel good with it. 

Wonder if you respect mine?

Well, respect is a big word, let's say that i accept your desire not to discuss it.

@yodsak Personally, I think you're too caught up with the intricacies of religious folklore and after quoting an English comedian, now we even have a quote from an American singer/dancer taking a cheap shot at religion. What has that got to do with anything? Ultracrepidiaranism! (A new word I learned on this thread)
Religion has a shady past? Sure, we all know it. It was also a scientist who developed the atomic bomb, another one who created DDT and another one who developed Zyclon B, right? I also know that science gave us some great inventions...

Can we please look past this pointing of fingers that will bring us to no sensible conclusion other than highlighting the differences between them? It would be much more productive to find a common ground upon we can all move forward. 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, respect is a big word, let's say that i accept your desire not to discuss it.

I read that as:

"My opinion is the right one, yours is wrong". 

What should we discuss if already you pertinently refuse to accept my opinion as a possibility? 

But to your credit, you are honest, not trying to hide your bigotry. 

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

I read that as:

"My opinion is the right one, yours is wrong". 

What should we discuss if already you pertinently refuse to accept my opinion as a possibility? 

But to your credit, you are honest, not trying to hide your bigotry. 

Sorry but you are wrong, i am not a bigot.

You said that you don't want to discuss, then you start with a personal attack.

Well done, i accept it, but i don't respect it.

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Sorry but you are wrong, i am not a bigot.

I can easely state that I may be wrong with my opinion, and that all "believers" may be right.

So I consider myself as not being a bigot

You will convince me you are not one , if you clearly state that my opinion is a possibility and that you perhaps may be wrong. 

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I can easely state that I may be wrong with my opinion, and that all "believers" may be right.

So I consider myself as not being a bigot

You will convince me you are not one , if you clearly state that my opinion is a possibility and that you perhaps may be wrong. 

Your opinion can be a possibility, but then you should define better what you mean by "nothing".

In a previous post i said that "nothing", as i intend it, cannot exist by definition, so how could be possible that something like the universe (which we agree it exists) came out of "nothing" ?

And i never said that mine is the only truth, in theory we could be both right, and still disagree.