Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

In my experience people who take themselves seriously resent being mocked. It's also completely beyond their comprehension that there are people who don't take themselves seriously or/and cannot conceive how it is possible

Interesting approach. 

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

One should not been offense by this word, as it is an expression of a personal opinion, and everyone knows that an opinion has no "intresic value". 

No one is offended by your ignorance, it's easy for me to know that @Sunmaster is not telling lies, because i had similar experiences, in the same way i can say that your opinion on the subject has no value, because it's obvious that you don't have a clue.

In this case you are mocking yourself.

Glad to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

No one is offended by your ignorance, it's easy for me to know that @Sunmaster is not telling lies, because i had similar experiences, in the same way i can say that your opinion on the subject has no value, because it's obvious that you don't have a clue.

In this case you are mocking yourself.

Glad to help.

I am not offensed at all because you call me "ignorant", as I know it is only an opinion.

I know I express  opinions; I know it is something personal that maybe some others share, 

nothing less, nothing more. 

You should think about it. 

Addendum :

8 a.m. here, time for breakfast. 

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

You should think about it. 

That's what i am doing.

Ignorant is not meant in general, nor as an offense, but related to that particular subject, is just stating the facts.

I hope you are not offended by me being honest with you.

24 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

In my experience people who take themselves seriously resent being mocked. It's also completely beyond their comprehension that there are people who don't take themselves seriously or/and cannot conceive how it is possible

Perhaps you are confusing "taking oneself seriously" (i generally don't) and "talking seriously".

You don't go to a business meeting and start talking about titties and beer, do you ?

It's nice to share a laugh, but not so nice to laugh at somebody, got it ?

No one is offended by your ignorance, it's easy for me to know that @Sunmaster is not telling lies, because i had similar experiences, in the same way i can say that your opinion on the subject has no value, because it's obvious that you don't have a clue.

33 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am not offensed at all because you call me "ignorant", as I know it is only an opinion.

@luckyluke I am quite probably in the same camp as you with regards to this sort of stuff and it seems as if someone has a similar experience to someone else, then it is obviously true/they believe it?

Taking a step back to look at it all I find that believing in things like coiled springs of energy in the base of the spine, virgin births, resurrections, a boat that saved the world's animals etc is just a nonsense, and worshipping/believing something like that is no different to someone who wishes to worship the pine tree at the bottom of their garden or believe in fairies.

As another poster said some while ago, the brain is the centre of the body's universe (for want of better terminology) and controls everything we see, hear, feel and do, so the fact that somebody has had, for example, "an out of body experience" can be put down to activity within the brain, and the same applies to the surge of energy described herein.

Since time immemorial humankind has worshipped various things, objects, plants, animals, gods and so on with absolutely no proof that they are there or actually do anything, other than to give humans a feeling that they are "not alone". 

I forget what philosopher said something along the lines of, "man created god" so perhaps that's one of our failings, and we have to put up with those people that wish to do this.

Hopefully that will be just about all from me on this subject, and as I have posted before, I have no time for these beliefs.............so I'm going to take my leave from here and go outside to worship the preying mantis which has landed on my plant.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To put a real physical attribute like the kundalini energy in the same basket as Christian mythology says everything I need to know about your point of view...but whatever floats you boat.

"Hopefully that will be just about all from me on this subject, and as I have posted before, I have no time for these beliefs."
That's a hope we both share. ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

To put a real physical attribute like the kundalini energy in the same basket as Christian mythology says everything I need to know about your point of view...but whatever floats you boat.

Well, at least he left out the spaghetti monster, i hate to see spaghetti being vilified ????

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

That's what i am doing.

Ignorant is not meant in general, nor as an offense, but related to that particular subject, is just stating the facts.

I hope you are not offended by me being honest with you.

I must confess I am ignorant about many subjects such as

tin foil hat, abduction by alien, men in black, black helicopters... 

Maybe if I, you, and others would know more about it, or/and had an identical experience as some claim they have encounter, we would change our mind. 

That's anyway what I deduct from your post(being ignorant about a subject). 

Or than I am wrong,

and it only has relation/apply to the belief in Kundalini. 

42 minutes ago, xylophone said:

the preying mantis which has landed on my plant.

Me too! We're sharing the same experience at this very moment. Indian Flower Mantis. AMEN! 

PSX_20191209_145547.jpg

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, at least he left out the spaghetti monster, i hate to see spaghetti being vilified ????

Well that's my point, because it is possible for anyone to worship anything, or believe in anything, but to expect other people to believe in it, that's a different story.

I did notice a few posts back that a certain master of the sun quoted, amongst other things, that some of his belief structures came from cultures like the Aztecs........well that's all I need to know about his point of view, this especially as a book by Bernal Diaz described in detail the inhuman way which their priests dispatched of children by ripping their hearts out whilst they were still alive and offering this as a present to their gods!

I suppose there's a lot we can learn from that..........yeah right.

Anyway it's a fact that the brain controls the feelings in the human body and if someone wishes to believe in a specific energy existing in the base of the spine, then that's about as easy to believe as the spaghetti monster!

Edited by xylophone
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I must confess I am ignorant about many subjects such as

tin foil hat, abduction by alien, men in black, black helicopters... 

Maybe if I, you, and others would know more about it, or/and had an identical experience as some claim they have encounter, we would change our mind. 

That's anyway what I deduct from your post(being ignorant about a subject). 

Or than I am wrong,

and it only has relation/apply to the belief in Kundalini. 

Well, i am not at all interested in changing your mind.

I am here for a healthy debate.

There are tons of information about the kundalini, and probably a few millions on this planet who have experienced what is called "kundalini awakening".

If you are interested, do your research, if you are not, pls stop making a fool of yourself.

Pls don't take offense, i'm just telling you what i think.

• Like 1

Just now, xylophone said:

Well that's my point, because it is possible for anyone to worship anything, or believe in anything, but to expect other people to believe in it, that's a different story.

I did notice a few posts back that a certain master of the sun quoted, amongst other things, that some of his belief structures came from cultures like the Aztecs........well that's all I need to know about his point of view, this especially as a book by Bernal Diaz described in detail the inhuman way which their priests dispatched of children by ripping their hearts out whilst they were still alive and offering this as a present to their gods!

Anyway it's a fact that the brain controls the feelings in the human body and if someone wishes to believe in a specific energy existing in the base of the spine, then that's about as easy to believe as the spaghetti monster!

The mind boggles...
A common logical fallacy..."The Atztec calendar was developed by Atztecs. Atztecs did something bad....therefore the calendar must be wrong and your argument too."
Ridiculous

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well, i agree with you probably more than you think, but let me clear a couple of points.

I am sure that our fellow poster, which i happen to share some experience and belief, would not agree with human sacrifice, exactly as all the people with some common sense.

In the same way, i can define myself a (poor) Christian without approving the crusades or the Spanish inquisition.

Where we probably disagree, and far from me trying to convince you, is that you probably think that "reality" is limited to the physical world, while i think that the physical world is just the visible and audible part of the "reality".

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i am not at all interested in changing your mind.

I am here for a healthy debate.

There are tons of information about the kundalini, and probably a few millions on this planet who have experienced what is called "kundalini awakening".

If you are interested, do your research, if you are not, pls stop making a fool of yourself.

Pls don't take offense, i'm just telling you what i think.

I don't take offence at all, as you expressed an opinion, and everyone is entitled to have one

There are also many information, and so called experiences, available about the subjects I mentioned in my previous posts. 

I am sorry  but for me they are at the same level as Kundalini, as I personally don't see any difference. 

You, and others are of course entitled to have a different opinion about it. 

However that doesn't make my opinion, in my eyes, lesser than yours. 

8 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

There are also many information, and so called experiences, available about the subjects I mentioned in my previous posts. 

To be honest, apart from denials, i can't remember any subject or experience posted by you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i agree with you probably more than you think, but let me clear a couple of points.

I am sure that our fellow poster, which i happen to share some experience and belief, would not agree with human sacrifice, exactly as all the people with some common sense.

In the same way, i can define myself a (poor) Christian without approving the crusades or the Spanish inquisition.

Where we probably disagree, and far from me trying to convince you, is that you probably think that "reality" is limited to the physical world, while i think that the physical world is just the visible and audible part of the "reality".

That is a well reasoned post, may I say.

And your last paragraph probably sums up our differences quite well, so we will have to agree to disagree on what reality is.....I believe in the reality which is described thus: – "the world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them".

So I believe in things as they actually are, and as no one can prove that there is something outside of the physical world, then that's where my beliefs lay.

• Like 1

My new favourite word...

Related image

All opinions can be heard and discussed, but not all opinions are born equal.
If I, for example, say that in my opinion anti-matter doesn't exist (because I've never seen it and tbh have no clue whatsoever of what it is) while a physicist's opinion is that it does in fact exist, then guess which opinion has more value. 

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

So I believe in things as they actually are, and as no one can prove that there is something outside of the physical world, then that's where my beliefs lay.

Well, thoughts are very real for me, yet they don't belong to the physical world.

Before building a house, a house need to be thought, designed and then built, so one may argue that without thought there would be no house.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

To be honest, apart from denials, i can't remember any subject or experience posted by you.

I am 71+, I have sometimes a bad memory too. 

Anyhow, I have expressed my opinion about the matter, more than once. 

I know yours.

Further posts will only be repetitions. 

I wish you the best with whatever you may believe. 

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Anyhow, I have expressed my opinion about the matter, more than once. 

I know yours.

No, i think you don't have an idea, but i agree with you that our conversation has become useless.

Have a good day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2019 at 9:25 PM, ivor bigun said:

It must be great to believe in a God and that one day you will be reunited with your loved ones a lady once said to me that she knows she will meet Jesus when she dies,i thought gosh he must be busy sitting down with the billions of people who die.

322712997_ScreenShot2019-12-09at08_36_34.png.ddd50717f6599653bbdb91d3eaa81943.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

No, i think you don't have an idea, but i agree with you that our conversation has become useless.

Have a good day.

My haha emoticon is not a mockery. 

But a pleasant smile to your reaction. 

Have a nice day too. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, thoughts are very real for me, yet they don't belong to the physical world.

Before building a house, a house need to be thought, designed and then built, so one may argue that without thought there would be no house.

After your very good previous post, this one above I have to disagree with because thoughts are part of the chemical and electrical process in the brain, so are part of the physical world. 

True, you can't see them, but you do know they are there and you can commit them to drawings/plans (for your house example) and it's our thought processes and brain size which sets us apart from many other animals on the planet.

But then perhaps that's getting into semantics and is also getting away from the topic which is: – do you believe in God and why. 

If they find men on the Moon, then I will believe; if they find men on Mars, then I will believe; if reincarnation is shown to be a fact, then I will believe, but all the time that "fairy stories" made up down the ages are pushed as being "the truth", then there is no chance for me and many, many millions of others.

Have enjoyed our discussions, but have wasted too much time trying to see arguments on this thread which have no basis in fact.

May I wish you a good day.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

After your very good previous post, this one above I have to disagree with because thoughts are part of the chemical and electrical process in the brain, so are part of the physical world. 

True, you can't see them, but you do know they are there and you can commit them to drawings/plans (for your house example) and it's our thought processes and brain size which sets us apart from many other animals on the planet.

But then perhaps that's getting into semantics and is also getting away from the topic which is: – do you believe in God and why. 

Well, sorry if you are bored, but i have to reply.

You can say that thoughts, emotions, memory, consciousness are electrical and chemical processes of the brain, but i will go straight to the point i want to make.

So, if you see a house, and you consider that there was some thought involved in the making, why it's so hard to observe a much more complex human being and discount the possibility that there could be some intelligent thought involved in the making ?

I don't want to convince you of anything, and really appreciate your courtesy.