Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

To those who believe in a "God" that is up there looking down on us and creating stuff, what are your thoughts on his creation of Mosquitoes that are killing many thousands of men, women and children humans every year.

Or killer infections, that kill many thousands of men, women and children, AND, are given the ability to mutate to stop humans from living...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

To those who believe in a "God" that is up there looking down on us and creating stuff, what are your thoughts on his creation of Mosquitoes that are killing many thousands of men, women and children humans every year.

Or killer infections, that kill many thousands of men, women and children, AND, are given the ability to mutate to stop humans from living...

Mate, you should be grateful that you have a life, a functioning body and a marvelous brain to think about all this stuff.

If you choose instead to complain for the world being not as perfect as you wish, well, it's your choice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

You won't get a straight answer, because there isn't one from those who believe in God or likewise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Ok, i just tried to create some easy step for you to climb and watch things from a higher point, but it's time for me to give up.

I will say goodbye with an image for you to think about.

Both of us are stuck in the mud of the physical reality, but while i look at the stars in delight, you look at your feet and the mud.

But thoughts are just electrical impulses, right ? Up to you ????

You can't let it go can you.........you have to try and belittle a poster (some easy steps?) because they don't agree with your viewpoint, which by the way is totally unprovable.

Keep looking at the stars in delight, much the same as I do, and I in my supreme knowledge, to yours, know that your thoughts and mine are just electrical impulses, and it doesn't matter how you want to belittle or denigrate it, that's the truth of it – – but you don't want to believe it so up to you.

Stay in your fantasy world of things and gods unprovable and I will stay in my reality. And please say a big hello to god or the creator when you next speak to him and may I recommend a great book by Richard Dawkins called "The God Delusion".

Bye bye.............

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

You can't let it go can you.........you have to try and belittle a poster (some easy steps?) because they don't agree with your viewpoint, which by the way is totally unprovable.

Keep looking at the stars in delight, much the same as I do, and I in my supreme knowledge, to yours, know that your thoughts and mine are just electrical impulses, and it doesn't matter how you want to belittle or denigrate it, that's the truth of it – – but you don't want to believe it so up to you.

Stay in your fantasy world of things and gods unprovable and I will stay in my reality. And please say a big hello to god or the creator when you next speak to him and may I recommend a great book by Richard Dawkins called "The God Delusion".

Bye bye.............

..Cry me a river.. :coffee1:

32 minutes ago, transam said:

I answered that many pages ago, and I'm not going to repeat it now, but suffice to say that IMO "God" is NOT up there looking down on us. That's the "God" of children and books, but it's not my "God".

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I answered that many pages ago, and I'm not going to repeat it now, but suffice to say that IMO "God" is NOT up there looking down on us. That's the "God" of children and books, but it's not my "God".

I do know "your" stance....I want replies from anyone  who believes in what I posted....????

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Isn't it funny how some folks choose not to believe in God, yet, when they got bitten by a mosquito they blame God.

Perhaps they should decide if God exists or not..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I imagine the brain as a "radio receiver". It receives inputs from various sources and translates them into thoughts.
Now, from what we know, these inputs come from our 5 senses, but also from the subconscious and the unconscious mind. 
Personally, I think there are other sources as well that are more difficult to describe and pinpoint. Let's just call it 6th sense for now.

A person's thoughts and hence his personality and belief system, depend on which wave lengths this receiver is mainly focused on. If one is tuned in to receive mostly inputs from the 5 senses, then his thoughts will revolve around that. "I'm hungry." "I'm tired". "This smells nice"....and so on.

A receiver that has a wider spectrum of wave lengths at his disposal, will be able to produce more complicated and abstract thoughts.
When we're asleep the receiver is not simply switched off, but tunes in to the wave lengths of the subconscious and unconscious, producing dreams and connecting seemingly unrelated things.

With certain psychotropic plants the receiver can tap in to yet other wave lengths that are inaccessible under normal circumstances ("opening the doors of perception").

The same happens with meditation or other spiritual practices: you learn how to fine tune the receiver and direct it/focus it on certain wave lengths.

So, all the wave lengths are present all of the time, whether you tune into them or not and whether you believe in them or not. 

With this model, all our perspectives and belief systems are correct and can coexist at the same time.
There is no right or wrong, just different "channels" with different "music".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, xylophone said:

Nor do I believe in "the creator" or things of mythology and mysticism, although contrary to another sun worshipper's comments, I have practised transcendental meditation so I am aware of it.

If you're talking about me, the polite thing to do would be to use my (screen) name, thank you.

Interesting that you practiced TM! Did I describe it correctly or not? What did you think about it? How long have you practiced it if you don't mind me asking?

7 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

So, all the wave lengths are present all of the time, whether you tune into them or not and whether you believe in them or not. 

With this model, all our perspectives and belief systems are correct and can coexist at the same time.

Very clearly explained, yet i expect some folks, who can hear only 1 boring, repetitive music, to say that you are living in a fantasy world :whistling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Very clearly explained, yet i expect some folks, who can hear only 1 boring, repetitive music, to say that you are living in a fantasy world :whistling:

Quite earnest and at its best, no one knows, and to repeat our selves, it is a belief, mixed with all kind of information our brain have gained of information during our lifetime, and also what we carry as genetic memory! 

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

3 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Quite earnest and at its best, no one knows, and to repeat our selves, it is a belief, mixed with all kind of information our brain have gained of information during our lifetime, and also what we carry as genetic memory! 

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

Yep, a well mixed soup, one can say, but some people dismiss it as "electrical and chemical impulses" while very few others actually do some effort and try to see clearly what that's all about ????

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

mixed with all kind of information our brain have gained of information during our lifetime

Watch the Netflix documentary "Making of a murderer" (and there are others on the inherent unreliability of eye-witness evidence such as "The mind explained")

3 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Watch the Netflix documentary "Making of a murderer" (and there are others on the inherent unreliability of eye-witness evidence such as "The mind explained")

Surely if it is on netfix it must be true ????

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, a well mixed soup, one can say, but some people dismiss it as "electrical and chemical impulses" while very few others actually do some effort and try to see clearly what that's all about ????

It is waste of time to explain everything we have done for getting where we are today, with known effort, and unknowing impulses, because what I believe believe today, can change tomorow. 

I had periods in life where I felt more connected, but the longer I live, the more pramatic i get. Have seen death and horror, as well as beauty in nature and humans, and felt very much present here and now! Still do, but the natural chemical center does not work as good as before, and also very much happy not live so high and low anymore. Im settled, confident and a much more happy being without being overextatic and sense everything and everybody. 

Live a decent happy life by getting up in the morning, fresh air and healthy activities, good experience, some adventoures, and good food is a good recipe for me. No need for anything more before I have to leave this place! 

Som people thrive with complexity, and find nutrition by it, fine for me, not for me anymore

Edited by Tagged

6 minutes ago, Tagged said:

It is waste of time to explain everything we have done for getting where we are today, with known effort, and unknowing impulses, because what I believe believe today, can change tomorow. 

Well, for me it's not a waste of time, i can meditate and try to get answers on the mysteries of existence, while in the same time enjoying my simple life.

I won't exchange the ecstatic joy i get by spiritual visions with any physical pleasure, but to each their own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

I forgot to add!: I believe that God, Spirit, the Supreme Being or Eternal Source, is the sum of all those wave lengths and some more, the same way that a cell is more than just the sum of its parts or the same way a human being is more than just a collection organs.

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Such a shame that you cannot understand the simplest of things and that you confuse one thing with another, is that because you are off your meds or are easily confused these days?

Somewhere, a little way back I and another poster or two mentioned that thoughts are as a result of chemical and electrical activity in the brain. It is a proven fact and, and somehow you've got it confused with faith in a god/a being/a creator or some such like, and can't let it go – – such a shame for you, but your repetition of it shows that it pushed one of your buttons.

Another couple of posters have said how they dislike the fact that believers (in whatever) will go to great lengths to try and prove that there is a creator/being/god out there and they seem to need to convert others to their beliefs. Whereas ordinary folk who don't believe in any of this are just happy to believe what they believe, without needing to be converted.

And just to try and prove a type of "superiority" the believers refer to such things as, "explaining it in easy steps"......LOL.

In fact it is folks like me who feel pity for folks like you, because you/they have to believe in something, have to believe in a creator, have to believe in a god or some such like, and it mirrors the feelings that some of humankind have had when they asked themselves, "where did I come from?", "is this all there is?", "surely there is more to life than this", "when I die I will that be the end of it?" etc and they don't want to believe that there is nothing else out there, no heaven and no hell and nothing else that can be proven. So making up stories and beliefs satisfies those needs.......shame really.

So it is a weakness that has to be addressed and the god/creator belief helps this out for these poor unfortunates.

Okay if you have that weakness, but please try not converting others to your way of thinking or misinterpreting/misquoting what has been posted as it does you no favours whatsoever.

And as a wise man, I refer you to the words of a song, which was a favourite of mine many years ago: – "the wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes".

And please, don't cry if I now decide to leave this thread altogether because the god botherers will keep on, and on, and on, trying to convince and convert as they have done for centuries, and it is very tiresome.

• Like 2

I thought you left a couple of days ago already, yet here you are, still trying to convince people that you are right and of course know better than the rest of us how the universe and life ought to work. 
How is what you do any better than what you're condemning in others? 

I'll tell you...it isn't.

Don't worry, nobody's going to cry if you leave....just like last time. 
Bye

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

I thought you left a couple of days ago already, yet here you are, still trying to convince people that you are right and of course know better than the rest of us how the universe and life ought to work. 
How is what you do any better than what you're condemning in others? 

I'll tell you...it isn't.

Don't worry, nobody's going to cry if you leave....just like last time. 
Bye

Thanks, i would not have bothered to read his nonsense.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Such a shame that you cannot understand the simplest of things and that you confuse one thing with another, is that because you are off your meds or are easily confused these days?

Somewhere, a little way back I and another poster or two mentioned that thoughts are as a result of chemical and electrical activity in the brain. It is a proven fact and, and somehow you've got it confused with faith in a god/a being/a creator or some such like, and can't let it go – – such a shame for you, but your repetition of it shows that it pushed one of your buttons.

Another couple of posters have said how they dislike the fact that believers (in whatever) will go to great lengths to try and prove that there is a creator/being/god out there and they seem to need to convert others to their beliefs. Whereas ordinary folk who don't believe in any of this are just happy to believe what they believe, without needing to be converted.

And just to try and prove a type of "superiority" the believers refer to such things as, "explaining it in easy steps"......LOL.

In fact it is folks like me who feel pity for folks like you, because you/they have to believe in something, have to believe in a creator, have to believe in a god or some such like, and it mirrors the feelings that some of humankind have had when they asked themselves, "where did I come from?", "is this all there is?", "surely there is more to life than this", "when I die I will that be the end of it?" etc and they don't want to believe that there is nothing else out there, no heaven and no hell and nothing else that can be proven. So making up stories and beliefs satisfies those needs.......shame really.

So it is a weakness that has to be addressed and the god/creator belief helps this out for these poor unfortunates.

Okay if you have that weakness, but please try not converting others to your way of thinking or misinterpreting/misquoting what has been posted as it does you no favours whatsoever.

And as a wise man, I refer you to the words of a song, which was a favourite of mine many years ago: – "the wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes".

And please, don't cry if I now decide to leave this thread altogether because the god botherers will keep on, and on, and on, trying to convince and convert as they have done for centuries, and it is very tiresome.

So it is your firm belief that people that believe in a spiritual realm are mentally deficient.

I haven't found that to be true. Sure you could find some examples, but as a whole, people who have a world view that includes more than just the physical realm, tend to be people who have put in the time to arrive at their philosophy.

Whereas I have found atheists to be all over the board, but a great deal of them are arrogant and given to mocking. Signs of insecurity and overcompensation if you ask me.

Have a look back through this thread and see which side is throwing insults and which side is giving considered opinions.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

So it is your firm belief that people that believe in a spiritual realm are mentally deficient.

I haven't found that to be true. Sure you could find some examples, but as a whole, people who have a world view that includes more than just the physical realm, tend to be people who have put in the time to arrive at their philosophy.

Whereas I have found atheists to be all over the board, but a great deal of them are arrogant and given to mocking. Signs of insecurity and overcompensation if you ask me.

Have a look back through this thread and see which side is throwing insults and which side is giving considered opinions.

In both the Atheist and Spiritual camp there are those who use it as a clear indication of their superior  intelligence and access to the truth. For me Atheism is simply a refusal to participate in this particular delusion, but not to say that I am not immune to delusions ,and  have not indulged in to some good ones, and hope to not be engaging in any of them now.

Though my participation in the POTY process seems to indicate otherwise. LOL

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Confusing....

It would have been better if this thread had been split into 2 threads from the beginning:

#1 Do you believe in god as a person?

In that tread people could discuss things such as "what is his name" - "how many are there?' -   "why believe in this one, and not in a competitor?" - "what does he want? - "which middlemen are real and which ones are heretics" - etc.

#2 Do you believe in a universal force, a global purpose, etc.

Personally, I would not bother with #1 - or maybe occasionally make fun of the posters

As for #2, I would sometimes glimpse at it, I have an open mind, but I would not expect anything of value there.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Confusing....

It would have been better if this thread had been split into 2 threads from the beginning:

#1 Do you believe in god as a person?

In that tread people could discuss things such as "what is his name" - "how many are there?' -   "why believe in this one, and not in a competitor?" - "what does he want? - "which middlemen are real and which ones are heretics" - etc.

#2 Do you believe in a universal force, a global purpose, etc.

Personally, I would not bother with #1 - or maybe occasionally make fun of the posters

As for #2, I would sometimes glimpse at it, I have an open mind, but I would not expect anything of value there.

The only people who talked about #1 was 1 bible guy and most of the atheists. Quite ironic really ????

Anyway, thanks for your valuable opinion.

• Confused 2