Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

1 hour ago, VincentRJ said:

What!! You've never seen the movie 'The Life of Brian'? I am surprised. You don't know what you're missing. ????

'Prof Burridge, whom Pope Francis recently presented with the Vatican’s top theological award, the first non-Roman Catholic to receive it, said that the film’s depiction of faction-ridden messianic movements in First Century Judea was probably a more accurate portrayal of the historical context than many Hollywood films about Jesus.'

Wikipedia has a long discussion on the film.

"One of the most commented-upon scenes in the film is when Brian tells his followers that they are all individuals and don’t need to follow anybody. According to Edward Slowik, this is a rare moment in which Monty Python puts a philosophical concept into words so openly and directly. Life of Brian accurately depicts the existentialist view that everybody needs to give meaning to their own life."
Quote from the actual film:
Brian: "Look, you’ve got it all wrong. You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody. You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals."
Crowd in unison: "YES. WE'RE ALL INDIVIDUALS."  
????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python's_Life_of_Brian

oh, now I remember Brian, he came to me many moons ago, asking suggestions about a movie he was planning to make. Good boy, I'm glad that he was so successful ????

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, I lost the count of the folks who have told me to watch " lifeofbrian" and I have already decided that, being me a contrarian, I will never ever watch it.????

Jokes apart, I am not fond of movies, and my normal everyday life is giving me just enough, some day even too much to think about.

But I'm really starting to enjoy your posts, so pls keep them coming.

Life of Brian was NOT about Jesus who, if I remember correctly was only in one short scene.

Very very funny. If anyone should be offended by it it should be the Jews as it mocks their religion, but it at no point does it mock Christianity which hadn't been invented then.

Would never have been made except for George Harrison who funded it himself after the initial funding was withdrawn.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Life of Brian was NOT about Jesus who, if I remember correctly was only in one short scene.

Very very funny. If anyone should be offended by it it should be the Jews as it mocks their religion, but it at no point does it mock Christianity which hadn't been invented then.

Would never have been made except for George Harrison who funded it himself after the initial funding was withdrawn.

Well, as I said, I am a bit picky with movies, even if I respect G.Harrison, who financed various unknown artists.

I liked very much the movie     " Avatar" which in my opinion depicted quite fairly humans before civilisation as we know it.

17 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I liked very much the movie     " Avatar" which in my opinion depicted quite fairly humans before civilisation as we know it.

ROFL - it's an anti-American rampage, with unfair references to the Iraq War, preaching environmentalism... WALL-E was much much cleverer.

Also the racist theme of a white man coming to save the indigenous population - as white men are obviously superior - I only gave Avatar a 30% rating because it was actually pretty annoying.

Edited by ben2talk
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

ROFL - it's an anti-American rampage, with unfair references to the Iraq War, preaching environmentalism... WALL-E was much much cleverer.

Also the racist theme of a white man coming to save the indigenous population - as white men are obviously superior - I only gave Advatar a 30% rating because it was actually pretty annoying.

I was expecting some disparaging comments, thanks for not disappointing me. From your words I can guess that we would disagree on almost everything, but then, this thread is not really about movies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2020 at 10:27 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO you have never faced imminent death then. Like they say in wartime, there are no atheists in a foxhole.

But that's absolutely 100% untrue and proof was provided thousands of posts earlier. And even if that blatantly false statement were true, it would still do nothing to prove the existence of any god-thing...but rather only prove human fear and fragility. :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Tagged said:

Enjoying watching Oso again, since they pop up in my feed again now after the last search for this thread. Can not say I dissagree with some of his theories and theses. 

Well said by Osho. You can say whatever you want about his Rolls Royce collection, but he certainly knew a thing or 2 about the Source.

Btw, did you notice how often he blinks while speaking?

If your two eyes stop completely, if they become non-moving, static, like stones, with no movement in these eyes, the energy stops flowing through them. If you stop them, the energy stops flowing through them. The energy flows; that is why they move. The vibration, the movement, is because of the energy. If the energy is not moving, your eyes will become just like a dead man’s eyes – stony, dead.

Looking at a spot, staring at it without allowing your eyes to move anywhere else, will give a static-ness. Suddenly the energy which was moving through the two eyes will not be moving through these eyes. And energy has to move; energy cannot be static. Eyes can be static, but energy cannot be static. When these eyes are closed to the energy, if suddenly the doors are closed and the energy cannot move through these eyes, it tries to find a new path. And the third eye is just near, just between the two eyebrows, half an inch deep. It is just near – the nearest point.

If your energy is released from these eyes, the first thing that can happen is that it will move through the third eye. It is just as if water is flowing and you close one hole: it will find another – the nearest which can be found with the least resistance. It will find it automatically; you do not have to do anything specifically. With these physical eyes, you just have to stop energy from moving through them, and then energy will find its own path and it will move through the third eye.

- Osho, Unblocking the third eye, The book of Secrets.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Well said by Osho. You can say whatever you want about his Rolls Royce collection, but he certainly knew a thing or 2 about the Source.

Btw, did you notice how often he blinks while speaking?

If your two eyes stop completely, if they become non-moving, static, like stones, with no movement in these eyes, the energy stops flowing through them. If you stop them, the energy stops flowing through them. The energy flows; that is why they move. The vibration, the movement, is because of the energy. If the energy is not moving, your eyes will become just like a dead man’s eyes – stony, dead.

Looking at a spot, staring at it without allowing your eyes to move anywhere else, will give a static-ness. Suddenly the energy which was moving through the two eyes will not be moving through these eyes. And energy has to move; energy cannot be static. Eyes can be static, but energy cannot be static. When these eyes are closed to the energy, if suddenly the doors are closed and the energy cannot move through these eyes, it tries to find a new path. And the third eye is just near, just between the two eyebrows, half an inch deep. It is just near – the nearest point.

If your energy is released from these eyes, the first thing that can happen is that it will move through the third eye. It is just as if water is flowing and you close one hole: it will find another – the nearest which can be found with the least resistance. It will find it automatically; you do not have to do anything specifically. With these physical eyes, you just have to stop energy from moving through them, and then energy will find its own path and it will move through the third eye.

- Osho, Unblocking the third eye, The book of Secrets.

Yes, I have seen that, and the comments, but never thought about the third eye. Some of the best sport athletes, do not blink to much either. 

However I go trought some few more I used to read or easier watch youtube of 

and maybe my do not know came unknown from watching some of these gurues. 

"the most wonderful thing in human intelligence is to reconize what you do not know as you do not know." Sadhguru

• Thanks 1

And as free will Osho have something valid to say about. I just realize how much I have taken from Osho and other gurus like Sadhguru to mention two. It is liberating to reread things you almost digetste 20 years ago. Like seeds they have fertilized my brain, 

Free will is not there, and neither is slavery. Dependence and independence are both false words. They should be dropped completely, they should not be used. It is interdependence. I exist in you, you exist in me. That is the way life is: we exist into each other, we people each other. The breath that was in me just a moment before has now moved and has gone into you. Just a moment before I could have said, “This is my breath” – but where is it now? Somebody else’s heart is beating through it.

In your body the blood is flowing; just a few days ago it was flowing as juice in a tree. It became a fruit, now it is flowing in your body. Again you will fall to the earth – dust unto dust, and again a tree will arise; you will become fertilizer. And again a tree will become alive, and a fruit will come and your children’s children will eat it. You have eaten your grandparents – you are eating them."

Source 

read more here

https://www.osho.com/osho-online-library/osho-talks/freedom-independence-look-within-79fdffbc-77b?p=e93b22643dd9fa9446fdac62a5033d6a

In Kriya Yoga tradition, the great master Lahiri Mahasaya interprets a Sanskrit verse as follows: "He who has attained a state of calmness wherein his eyelids do not blink, has achieved Sambhabi Mudra."

Shambhavi Mudra is called as 'the eyebrow center gazing gesture'. It is one of the highly regarded and practices gesture in Yogic and Tantric texts. It is very powerful gesture used in meditation. ... It is mentioned in the yogic text named Gheranda Samhita. This gesture involves gazing at the eyebrow center (third eye or spiritual eye)

If you look at many of the christian paintings of saints in spiritual ecstasy, their eyes are mostly pointing upwards....or converging at a point in the distance above the horizon, basically looking through the 3rd eye.

Mary Magdalene

The “Anti-Christ of Painting”: Mary Magdalene in Ecstasy | Italian Living  Con Gusto - A Tasteful Guide To Italian Living - Culture, Food, Art,  Fashion, Film, Literature, Design, Lifestyle - Rome/San Francisco -

St Gemma Galgani: The humility of St Gemma Galgani

Saint Catherine of Siena

8 Things to Know and Share About St. Catherine of Siena

Also interesting is the fact that many people roll their eyes upwards at the moment of their death, when the life force/ consciousness starts to exit the body through the medulla oblongata (also called "God's Mouth") at the back of the head and directly connected to the 3rd eye. 
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, a Swiss-American psychiatrist and a pioneer in near-death studies, has written extensively about death and the process of dying, and mentioned this in several of her case studies.

Doyle (1983 Pg 89) says: “ All colour drains from the lips, the eyes immediately lose their lustre and moisture, breathing stops, the pulse in the neck is no longer seen and a deep peace descends – a peace which, for all that it is real, is difficult to describe.” The pulse is certainly a significant sign that death is imminent. Contrary to what many lay people think, rather than slowing, the pulse becomes rapid and shallow near the time of death. When death is expected, the person’s breathing becomes very shallow and irregular and those present may wonder if each breath is to be the last. The breathing may also be noisy, as secretions collect at the back of the throat - this is normal and may respond to medication being given subcutaneously. Suction is not advised, as this tends to cause distress. The patient’s eyes may roll back as they do in deep meditation.

From https://www.palliativedrugs.com/download/CARE OF PERSON AT DEATH 19 JUN 2002.pdf

Even Jesus said: "If thine eye be single, thy body will be full of light" Matthew 6:23

Edited by Sunmaster

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Disagree. Beliefs cannot be chosen, if someone is truly being honest with themselves. People believe things because they are truly convinced it's true. Just as I cannot simply "choose" to believe in fairies or flat earth or "god"...a true "god" believer cannot simply just choose willy-nilly not to believe anymore. I/they could claim it and pretend it, but it wouldn't honestly be the case. 

Not to say people's beliefs can never change, but it's based on something more than just simply choosing it. Such as compelling information, influence and evidence that convinces otherwise. Being convinced is nothing like simply making a flippant & frivolous choice. 

Beliefs is glue for the social community, that means alot for the security, common ground to build network, and with the right leaders, right time can build wealth eveyone can enjoy. If not wealth is the purpose, it can build a strong society where people find a purpose to live. 

Life is a game of chess, every move matters. 

While making my monthly rounds, I was amazed to see this thread still going ....... records have been broken and black dots will soon be issued, well done to all concerned, not least Ivor, the OP who I think has won an all-expenses holiday in the Maldives.

Edited by geronimo

13 minutes ago, geronimo said:

While making my monthly rounds, I was amazed to see this thread still going ....... records have been broken and black dots will soon be issued, well done to all concerned, not least Ivor, the OP who I think has won an all-expenses holiday in the Maldives.

One more thread going strong the worst joke! 

Edited by Tagged
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I can hardly believe it, maybe I'm dreaming,  but i kind of agree with this very thoughtful post. In fact spiritual science is supposed to investigate the spirit using spiritual facts, in the same way natural sciences use natural facts to investigate the nature.

Indeed. Has he seen the light?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Agree.

It's like he said that cars have been invented to pollute the air and provoking accidents.

I would like to hear Sadhguru´s answer to these Two absolute statements From you two. ????

Got some trouble with my keyboard software when delete a word or letter, its starts with a capital everytime.  Annoying

19 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I would like to hear Sadhguru´s answer to these Two absolute statements From you two. ????

Got some trouble with my keyboard software when delete a word or letter, its starts with a capital everytime.  Annoying

Well, I have seen a couple of videos from S.and i enjoyed them.

As for religion and cars, if you get hit by a car, in  most çases ii guess you would blame its driver, not the manufacturer, the invention, or the car itself.

Almost everything can be used in a proper, or in an improper way .