Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

I think if the atheists were right and everything was random, life would be a lot better. If we were all just playing the averages and everything was 50/50, life should be far less painful for the average person. It had to take divine intervention to make the human condition and all of its frailty this bad. 

The average persons life is pretty awful. And it will always be this way

Edited by Harsh Jones

18 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

I think if the atheists were right and everything was random, life would be a lot better. If we were all just playing the averages and everything was 50/50, life should be far less painful for the average person. It had to take divine intervention to make the human condition and all of its frailty this bad. 

The average persons life is pretty awful. And it will always be this way

As long as the average person believes that life is something that happens to him, that he is a victim of circumstances, that he is somehow separated from everything else, as long as his ego dictates who he is...then yes, life will be pretty awful for him. 

This is the normal way of life of the vast majority of people, and we can see how dysfunctional this way of life is.

It's not even a question between atheism vs religion. It's more than that. It's a question about the inevitable human evolution of consciousness. For now, a tiny minority of less than 1% are spearheading this change, but I'm confident it will grow until it becomes the new normal.

Probably not in this lifetime though. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

As long as the average person believes that life is something that happens to him, that he is a victim of circumstances, that he is somehow separated from everything else, as long as his ego dictates who he is...then yes, life will be pretty awful for him. 

This is the normal way of life of the vast majority of people, and we can see how dysfunctional this way of life is.

It's not even a question between atheism vs religion. It's more than that. It's a question about the inevitable human evolution of consciousness. For now, a tiny minority of less than 1% are spearheading this change, but I'm confident it will grow until it becomes the new normal.

I am not sure if I fully understand. You mean the "no free will" view ?

51 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

I am not sure if I fully understand. You mean the "no free will" view ?

"Free will" is connected to that, but I wasn't referring to it specifically.

In my opinion, if you want to find the root of all the problems we are facing as a society right now, it is necessary for each one of us to look within. 
By doing so, you inevitably discovery your true identity and gain a much wider understanding of your place in the world/universe.
If you don't do that, you will continue to identify as the limited ego construct and believe that you are nothing more than the body. 

In essence, what I'm trying to say is that it's the narrow view of materialism that is holding us back. It's like owning a Ferrari and believing that you can only drive it in first gear. But that is not so. There are a lot more gears you can use! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Youtube AI just popped this into my feed.

I watched about 1 minute of this. This was very painful to watch. 

The Only Existing Video of Seth Speaking Through Jane Roberts 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgAH_GfLyis

It's painful only due to ignorance and preconceived notions.

Otherwise it's quite normal.  :biggrin:  :cowboy:

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2023 at 4:22 AM, Sunmaster said:

I think the first thing most should find before their place in the world and universe, is to find their space within themselves right here right now! If you cant find it there, I doubt you can find it any place elsewhere. 

I love The Alchymist Santiago who insatiable quest to search for his place in the world and also the ultimate search for the meaning of life and the universe ended up where he started his search, realizing all he wanted and searched for, where right there in the first place, but he was blind to it, and neaded the whole journey with experiences to finely realize the magic. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

I think the first thing most should find before their place in the world and universe, is to find their space within themselves right here right now! If you cant find it there, I doubt you can find it any place elsewhere. 

I love The Alchymist Santiago who insatiable quest to search for his place in the world and also the ultimate search for the meaning of life and the universe ended up where he started his search, realizing all he wanted and searched for, where right there in the first place, but he was blind to it, and neaded the whole journey with experiences to finely realize the magic. 

100%, Hummin. ????

• 2 weeks later...

I recently watched a tv news item on Al Jazeera about the Euclid space probe to study dark energy. The scientist talking said that we know almost nothing about dark energy, which they think per fuses the universe, and scientists admit they don't understand why the matter in the universe is expanding faster rather than collapsing.

YET, many on this thread have claimed they KNOW that God does not exist. LOL.

As always, this post does not mean that I'm returning to post on the forum, though I have been doing so recently, which is not something I wish to do as much as I used to do.

• Confused 2

The only problem, where does the creator come from, and who created the creator? 

On the other hand, we will create life on other planets of not already infested moon and mars, dors that makes us the creators? We can even pass down rules for the new life, one day we goe extinct, but the rules somehow in some form survives. 

Do you believe in higher civilization on rhis planet before our own? Meaning earlier civilations have been viped out, but humans went back to basic and started from zero.

@fredwiggy

35 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The only problem, where does the creator come from, and who created the creator? 

On the other hand, we will create life on other planets of not already infested moon and mars, dors that makes us the creators? We can even pass down rules for the new life, one day we goe extinct, but the rules somehow in some form survives. 

Do you believe in higher civilization on rhis planet before our own? Meaning earlier civilations have been viped out, but humans went back to basic and started from zero.

@fredwiggy

If you speak of a creator, then you must speak of that which is created and the means by which it is created. These 3 things always go together. 

But these distinctions only make sense in a world where linear time plays a role, the material world, where there is an apparent beginning and an apparent end.

Imagine a world where time is irrelevant. In that world it would be impossible to distinguish the start of something from its end, because they would both be happening at the same time, in an eternal now. 

From that point of view, the question of who created the creator wouldn't make any sense. 

So, while the concept of a God is rooted in dualism (I'm here and God is there), there is also a non-dual Ground of All Being from which everything else rises. Ramana Maharshi calls it the SELF. Our individual self is a part of it. The only obstacle that (seemingly) divides us from the SELF is our limited knowledge. Not intellectual knowledge, but knowledge based on direct experience. 

Enlightenment is just that, the total realisation that we are indeed the SELF.

And what does that mean in terms of the creator? It means WE are ultimately the creator of everything. And by "we" I don't mean the ego driven personality, but our true identity, which is the SELF.

The implications are fascinating. We create the concept of God and project it outwards, as if it were separate from us. So, when we pray to God, we actually pray to an aspect of ourselves. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

It also means that me, you and everyone else are manifestations of that same SELF and that the separation we see is an illusion. 

Imagine what the world would look like if we could realize that! 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I can't be bothered to read nearly 20,000 replies! 

I don't care if it has been asked before but;

1. Who or what is a god?

2. What are they/it supposed to do?

PS;  I only ask as the number of replies really grabbed my attention!

You do have some reading to do! No excuses

49 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You do have some reading to do! No excuses

Since you seem to have done that yourself please save me some time by just answering the two questions I asked earlier!

1. Who or what is a god?

Edited by scottiejohn

9 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Since you seem to have done that yourself please save me some time by just answering the two questions I asked earlier!

1. Who or what is a god?

the length of this thread appears to be a drawback.

new folks coming in curious about the topic will not want to sift through 600 pages. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

1. Who or what is a god?

Let's not get off on the wrong foot guys.

I will try to answer your question shortly, once i pass the checkin at the airport.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/14/2019 at 8:55 PM, ivor bigun said:

It has fasinated me for years that people can believe in god and that Jesus was born to his virgin mother .

When you realize that there are so many billions of planets across hundreds of billions of light years.

It must be great to believe in a God and that one day you will be reunited with your loved ones a lady once said to me that she knows she will meet Jesus when she dies,i thought gosh he must be busy sitting down with the billions of people who die.

Do you really believe in him or any of the other Gods ?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No ,because I still have half a brain, I hope ????

47 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So it is a pointless thread then!

Why is it pointless?

You asked a question and I offered to answer it. 

Let's first get something out of the way and say what God is not.

God is not an old guy sitting on a cloud or some far away heaven.

God is not an elephant-headed deity.

God is not an extraterrestrial being.

And no, God is not a flying teapot or spaghetti monster either.

What is God then?

We can not really know God unless we become one with him/her/it and experience it directly. But even if we don't ever reach that point, we can still learn about God by looking at ourselves and ask ourselves a simple question: Who am ?

Maybe you are tempted to say that you are the body. In that case we have to make an important distinction between the subject (the observer) and the object (that which is observed). We say "I have a body" or "My leg hurts". So, the body is the object and the I is the subject. This already proves that the object is not the subject, therefore the I can not be the body.

Then you will probably say that the I is in the brain...in the mind. Again, we can say "I have this memory" or "I am tired/upset/happy". And again, we can distinguish the I (subject) from the memory (object)....and the I having the experience of being tired, upset etc. 

So, the real I (you) is not the body nor the mind. It is not the ego (insert your name here). It is the observer of the body-mind. 

Here is were it gets tricky.

Spiritual wisdom says that the real "I", your true identity is beyond the body-mind. This identity, is in direct connection with God and if you are able to really know yourself, you will automatically know God. "Know thyself and you will know God".

The how-to can be discussed if you're interested. 

To summarise: God is not someone or something out there, far away in the distance, nor far away somewhere in the future. It is here, right now, and you, me, everyone and everything are perfect expressions of it. The only thing that keeps us from realising this fact is our own limitation. But this limitation is not insurmountable. Sooner or later the tree will bear fruits, the flower will blossom. We can not force it, but we can provide the best circumstances and help the process by giving nutritious soil and clean water. In the same way, we can do a number of things to support the process of awakening. 

Your second question: What is it supposed to do?

Exactly what it is doing now. Writing these words, reading these words and everything in between, performing this cosmic dance.

I hope this can be of value to you.

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

1. Who or what is a god?

1 Good is everything! 

2 No human alive knows I say, but many claim they know! I would say the rule and law of Nature is the closest we get to that answer! And we are in the middle of it as it evolves day by day, hour for hour, minute, ,,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,

• Confused 1