Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

30 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

I am here now, I don’t know why I was born, but I surely know I will die. So instead of loosing my time in theology, I live my life very intensely. If there is a divine afterlife I will regard this as a bonus.
The universe, life, time is so relative and limits our understanding because we try to understand from our point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I know why you were born.....????

Weeeell, much the same as any creature on our planet.....And it came to me at the age of about 15......Those fond memories.....????

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. (KJV)

What is note worthy, is there are no atheist in hell.  Everyone in hell knows the truth, they just learned it too late.  It only takes 70 hours to read the Bible.  It will be the most important book you will ever read. ????

Buddha didn't read the bible or believe in god.  Good enough for him and 244 million followers - good enough for me.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Strictly speaking, I doubt Buddhism can be described as a religion. It is more a system of morals and ethics.

Having said that, examples are plentiful where, along with religions, people twist it around for their own agendas.

I might have taken the wrong wording..

Fact is I left the church because its not more than a money and war machine.

All these Temples in Thailand are built on donations, one more beautiful than the other and nobody got forced to give. 

I leaned from my wife little of the Buddhist way of life, that keeps me since out of trouble,

makes me feeling good when I have a real chance* to help, and as more I didn't bother materialistic wealth, 

as more it came to me without praying to a god,

so I take it as it comes and put it away for later or feel happy that I can give to the one that needs in the moment of need. 

*Real chances to help are not easy to find,

that's not the beggars with drugged kids at beach road or some guy asking you for money.

it could be a well fed and rich looking Farang, who sits somewhere in the heat, fighting unconsciousness and gets ignored by all by-passers...

Just ask him and he might say, no I am Ok, just a bit warm today, Thank you!

What a honest thank you that is!

It could be the Muslim Cashier at BigC where you queue.

You take your pork chops of the belt and tell her to scan and then put it yourself in the grocery bag.

The smile you get then follows you for a long time.

or a materialistic one:

Leave a Tip like 20 baht at KFC or BigC Food Court on the tray and write on the Napkin "Thank you for cleaning after me" before you go. The girl that cleans after you will be stunned about the unexpected and consider it a lucky day for her. 

Just as a few examples.

I don't need an imaginary god as long my heart can tell me this is right or wrong.

...and I am sure a person who also can tell somebody he is an idiot, right in the face...  Feels sometimes also good and keeps the balance of life. You get what you deserve.. 

Edited by See Will
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, xkkpafi said:

Basically fairy stories for grown ups who can't ditch the idea that there's no such things as fairies but are too embarased to openly admit that fairies exist.

Well there is this bloke who lives near me......:giggle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, See Will said:

All these Temples in Thailand are built on donations, one more beautiful than the other and nobody got forced to give.

These temples are mostly donated by poor people who can not afford to give,yet they do.

Why you ask?Because someone in that temple tells them it is tam boon.

I have seen people who only have 50 baht who give 30 to the temple.It is all about the money,doesnt matter what religion or believe it is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:
8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I struggle with this

What I would say however, that religion, whether or not you believe as an adult, as a child it provides you with a moral compass, which at least for me, has served me well through my life

I take it you didn't go to a Catholic boys school. 

"Father, is that a compass in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me ?"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:
  1. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.

I really wonder how that is reconciled with crucifixes or portraits of the Virgin Mary, which one can find in many Catholic homes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Buddhists believe death is a natural part of the life cycle.  If you want more details suggest a visit to your local wat after you learn to speak Thai. 

They also believe it is all an illusion, which is really a big plot hole.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You don't really believe any of that do you?  It's like an adult admitting there really is a Santa Clause. 

You said you liked the scientific method right? Plenty of real science has been done on this object. The DNA (constriction) and archeological evidence (worldwide floods) is incontrovertible. Why the disbelief?

Edited by NotYourBusiness
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

They also believe it is all an illusion, which is really a big plot hole.

It is a little beyond your grasp.  Like I said go talk to a monk.  I'd suggest the forest variety. You don't really want to debate Buddhism here do you?  Are you a Buddhist scholar? 

Edited by marcusarelus

8 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Modern organized searches for the ark tend to originate in American evangelical circles.  It's not something that is discussed is serious academic circles except to wonder at why people would believe such stuff. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2