Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

4 hours ago, quandow said:

I believe life had some sort of intelligent design, and as I've pulled human remains out of a submerged plane crash and observed the lack of life, there is something about humans having a soul. It's even been weighed. As much as the method used to weigh the soul was sloppy science, I think the bible is sloppy narrative. Jesus was a short dark guy, not the European with flowing brown hair currently selling His book. It's been rewritten so many times with so many inconsistencies that it's difficult to fathom anyone taking it 100% seriously. There ARE many good parables, the lessons are good standards to apply to your walk through life. Do I believe we were created? Yes. Do I believe in the Judeo-Christian interpretation of God? No.

I am curious about that 'soul'.   Is it in our DNA?   Is it individually given by God?   Did our ancient ancestors, like Neanderthal Man have one or did it start later?   Why don't animals have 'souls'?   Is that just a handy excuse for humans to exploit, kill and mistreat them because they don't have a soul?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we are in period of the universe's evolution where life can exist, not just on this planet but anywhere in the cosmos. The matter we see today that makes up the galaxies, stars, planets and life are made up of the same elements (atoms). In fact all the elements heavier than hydrogen within our bodies are forged in the heart of stars through nuclear fusion and when stars die the heavy elements are ejected into the cosmos.

So basically we owe our existence to the stars because life wouldn't be here without them.   

• Like 2

I have tried to wrap my mind around the creation...scientist have their big-bang theory...theologians look to their god as the creator...science can not create anything...only fashion things from materials already present.

Man's desire to understand creation has resulted in numerous world religions...their gods must be amused at their infantile attempt to explain the infinite with finite minds...

Is there a God or gods?...God only knows!   ????

• Like 1

Look at this from the perspective of eye-witness testimony in court. Is it credible? Yes and no. It's known that eye witnesses over-think what they've seen, going over and over it in their minds, reconciling all the inconsistencies, until their testimony is what they believe they saw that makes sense to them, not what they actually saw.  The origins of the "god" aspect of religion are the same, and we've arrived at different outcomes because there are different witnesses with different perspectives.  That doesn't take away from the role of religion in human society, which has among other things traditionally been a form of bonding, a way to delineate between those who belong to "us" and those who are outsiders, "them". 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 55Jay said:

As to the voice in your head, possibly attributed to your brain and a strong survival instinct providing you a burst of energy/adrenaline.  I don't believe this is limited to humans.  I'm no expert so I stop there.

It's what a friend of mine told me, maybe it's survival instinct … 

but does survival instinct calmly gives advice in a moment of panic ? 

Many people have PhD's in religion of different kinds and have studied all of their lives to understand the nature of god and religion.  Many of those people are Catholics.  I find it difficult to discuss religion with people who aren't Catholics kind of like discussing prostitution with people who don't live in Thailand - little expertise.  Catholics make angry atheists because they spent so much time discussing religion in comparison to other churches.  I was taught religion by professionals.  When you disagreed with them they beat you till you stopped.  Although that was better than burning at the stake for mouthing off about common sense and easily recognizable physical phenomena.  Maybe we could have another ThaiVisa dark ages. 

Apologetics (from Greek ἀπολογία, "speaking in defense") is the religious discipline of defending religious doctrines through systematic argumentation and discourse.[1][2][3] Early Christian writers (c. 120–220) who defended their beliefs against critics and recommended their faith to outsiders were called Christian apologists.[4] In 21st-century usage, apologetics is often identified with debates over religion and theology.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apologetics

I was through all of this stuff by the time I was a freshman in college. It's all nonsense cloaked in big words to make dirty old men and ladies money. 

Without a god you can't have religion so ..... people who tout the existence of a god are supporting religion of all kinds whether they know it or not. 

Edited by marcusarelus

51 minutes ago, Aforek said:

It's what a friend of mine told me, maybe it's survival instinct … 

but does survival instinct calmly gives advice in a moment of panic ?

If you had resigned yourself to give up and relaxed, possibly.

Similar dynamic often reported by people during dangerous/stressful situations, is they perceived events and communication slowing down (slow motion) when, in reality, that wasn't the case at all.

Have you ever carried on a conversation with actors in a dream?  Some of them seem very real, it can take you a moment to realize it was just a dream.  Dogs and cats can be very animated and vocal during vivid dreams.

Again, I'm no brain scientist or rocket surgeon, but have heard about these things over the years, and most of us have experienced our brain playing "tricks" on us.

We are the highest form of intelligent life on the planet, yet we did not create everything we see around us, so who did? There has to be a creator. Take a look at the human genome, it’s too complex to have just happened by accident.

Having said that, I look at life and consider that perhaps God has a sick sense of humour…. as do many who post here!

Guru Rajneesh said... "Life is a lemon, squeeze the whole juice."… Not bad advice that.

(Looking at some people’s behavior, - I use the words “intelligent life” with considerable reservation!)
Study the science, from enzymes in the environment to single cell animals and onward.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

We can't understand the concept of infinite, we can't understand lots of other things.

I think it's logical to think there are superior beings, and an intelligent design.

You don't throw around randomly screws and bolts and metal planks to build an airplane, right ?

People who mock God, mock something they don't understand.

have you heard of the B737 Max, they sure did it to that bag of bolts. Sxxt happens.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

We can't understand the concept of infinite, we can't understand lots of other things.

I think it's logical to think there are superior beings, and an intelligent design.

You don't throw around randomly screws and bolts and metal planks to build an airplane, right ?

People who mock God, mock something they don't understand.

And people who believe in God, mocking people for something they just believe ???? 

It is a confusing world isnt? 

• Haha 2

I would love to believe ,but i dont , as one poster said you have to have faith , well thats always been the "cop out" of believers and the church , you cant prove it , so just do as your told and hand over your money , I love "the confessional" it was so that God could forgive you your sins , or maybe it was so the priest knew all your secrets and could hold them over you .

well as much as i dont have faith that i will win the lottery ,i dont have faith in something you cannot prove exists,

shame it would be so nice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

And people who believe in God, mocking people for something they just believe ???? 

It is a confusing world isnt? 

Not really. People who believe in God can look down on non-believers with a sense of moral superiority, however unwarranted that is.

Wow,i just finished my breakfast and came on to the internet,i never dreamed there would be such a response. Glad to see that so many have faith,it must be such a comfort( thats a genuine thought not sarcasm)
Trouble is i cannott dee how anyone can believe as there are so many Gods and everyone of that faith has believed theirs is the real one

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app