Day Three: Songkran road deaths show a dramatic drop

webfact

Day Three: Songkran road deaths show a dramatic drop

By The Thaiger

03a0ecf592b25d7133fc35d3f577bd93.jpeg

There has been 1,665 traffic accidents, with 174 deaths and 1,728 people injured in the first three days of the Songkran ‘seven days of danger’ (Thursday, Friday, Saturday). This equates to a significant drop from the 2018 road toll and lower even than Thailand’s average daily road deaths throughout the year.

According to the WHO an average 66 people die on Thailand’s roads each day.

The Road Safety Directing Centre’s numbers cover the period from April 11 to 13. The first three days show a drop of 17.1% in road deaths. Injuries are down 9.5%.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/songkran/day-three-songkran-road-deaths-show-a-dramatic-drop

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-04-15

Does 'deaths' mean died at the scene?

How many died on their way to hospital, I wonder?

Nevertheless, it is all terribly sad, the carnage here.

Edited & @sakopete.

You got your post in before mine. 'Great minds' & all that.

Edited by faraday
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

It may well be 'reported' as you say, but I think the stats have been manipulated, to show a decrease, & excluding hospital deaths would be one way of doing so.

If that's the case, the mortuary freezers must be overflowing by now.

• Sad 1

As many said the figures are "dodgy" ..By my calculations, 418 died in 7 days of Songkran in 2018 w/ 3900 injuries , no doubt some further deaths in that number as well...so 418 /7 = 58 deaths p/day & 3900/7 = 557 injuries p/day

Current figures given 174 deaths & 1728 injuries in 3 days equates to 174/3 = 60 deaths p/day,

1728/3 = 576 injuries p/day...

If anything figures are an increase on last year!!!!

Fairly straight forward calculations!!!  

So, where is "significant drop from the 2018 road toll and lower even than Thailand’s average daily road deaths throughout the year." ????

The"...Road Safety Directing Centre’s numbers..." claims are total B/S....

Doubt been any significant change in Thailand's appalling Road Tolls. 

Prayut, Prawit, RTP & rest of Gov't need to address the issue in a total & proper manner; not simply patches here & there.

Many problems to be resolved to start to improve Road & Traffic Management in Thailand, so all of Gov't needs to get on & do what paid to to do!!!!

• Like 1

Sunday I heard more Ambulances in one day than ANY OTHER day in the last 5-years living here....

maybe I heard 10......all i know is it was soo many i had to tell myself, 'OMG, everyone is dying."

• Confused 1