Obese US tourist who ‘forced flight attendants to wipe his bum while he moaned with pleasure’ dies in popular Thai resort

webfact

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, randy723 said:
I understand that he was on Eva air because Thai Air or china air would not let him fly with them because of his size and health. Thai air and China air both have direct non stop flight from Los Angeles to Bangkok and is cheaper than Eva Air and 5 1/2 hours faster because the do not stop in Taipei.  

“Thai air” and “ China air” (assume you mean China Airlines) DO NOT have direct nonstop flights from Los Angeles to Bangkok.

Thai Airways International does not even serve North America anymore.

Why do people post rubbish or “facts” repeated from others who know nothing of what they are talking about?

5 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

“Thai air” and “ China air” (assume you mean China Airlines DO NOT have direct nonstop flights from Los Angeles to Bangkok. Thai Airways International does not even serve North America anymore.

Why do people post rubbish or “facts” repeated from others who know nothing of what they are talking about?

Just so its clear for future reference and searches, as of this date there are in fact no directs from the USA to BKK. You stop in Shaghai, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, etc. I know becasue I am making my fall reservations.

21 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

“Thai air” and “ China air” (assume you mean China Airlines) DO NOT have direct nonstop flights from Los Angeles to Bangkok.

Thai Airways International does not even serve North America anymore.

Of course it is lies-and very possibly mentally deranged.How many pages of vicious. nauseating nonsense is this?

..and why has ThaiVisa allowed it to continue?

This has gone on to 160 posts, about a guy that few of us ever met, passing judgment on him based on sensationalized media bits- clickbait.

Before judging him, I'd suggest going back to post #45 and reading from someone who apparently actually knew the guy.

This has gone on to 160 posts, about a guy that few of us ever met, passing judgment on him based on sensationalized media bits- clickbait.

Before judging him, I'd suggest going back to post #45 and reading from someone who apparently actually knew the guy.

Post #45 is fake as the poster fails to make any mention of HOW he “knew” the guy.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:39 PM, impulse said:

It's true that the simple formula is to burn more calories than you consume.  But that's like saying the solution to homelessness is to just buy a house.

Where it gets complicated is the conditions, some of them genetic, that cause some people to have hunger pangs (for lack of a more technical term), regardless of how much they eat.  There are also medication regimes that cause a similar effect.

Try walking around hungry all day for years on end and see if you don't pick up some weight.  A lot of it.  Fortunately for most of us, we aren't afflicted.  There but for the Grace of God... (or Luck of the Draw for you atheists).

Because of his severe diabetes the stomach operation and medications were contraindicated. He’d had amputations so walking was impaired.  We were just glad he lasted as long as he did. There but for the grace of god indeed.

No verification from Thai authorities of his demise but the deaths of farang tourists are too commonplace to be newsworthy. Sounds like he was a rather unpleasant individual anyway.

I wonder how the two cabin attendants managed to get into the loo with him. They should have just left him in there and locked the door from the outside and put a notice up saying out of order, while radioing police to come and arrest him for sexual assault on landing. Thankfully the almighty has stepped in and mopped up his faulty creation before the issue of the flight home could arise.

1 hour ago, animatic said:

Because of his severe diabetes the stomach operation and medications were contraindicated. He’d had amputations so walking was impaired.  We were just glad he lasted as long as he did. There but for the grace of god indeed.

Animatic, as someone who has arranged travel for people like this man and even accompanied some as a caregiver, I appreciate your post no. 45 and this clarifying remark, above.  What people are saying on this thread is very insensitive and but to be expected given the way in which this incident has been reported in the media.

It was good that this man knew he needed more space and paid for three seats, but he really should have thought more about his condition and paid for a business class seat, especially given his health and the length of the flight.  The ability to lie down prone to sleep would have vastly improved his travel experience.  Also, he would have had the right to use a larger toilet than the ones in economy.

You said that he came to Thailand often, so he knew what he was getting into as far as the rigors of the trip.  He chose a good airline, with a good transit airport, but he shouldn't have expected the flight attendants to act as caregivers.  He should have had a caregiver travel with him -- someone who had training in how to assist someone in toileting on an airplane.  It was especially necessary since you mentioned that his hand was injured and he couldn't help himself.  How was he to feed himself, use the entertainment, etc, if his hand was injured?

Before the trip, a health care professional should have administered an enema and provided Imodium to be taken during the trip.  This is something we do regularly with the repatriation trips I've been involved with. Also, he should have been wearing adult diapers, the pull-up type with elastic waist so he still could have used the toilet, but the diapers would serve as a back up. 

Frankly, I've seen similar problems with other older men with health problems who routinely travel to Thailand.  They've made the long trip so often that they forget how rigorous it is and that their elderly bodies and aren't as able to handle the rigors.  For example, one man with mobility problems came up with what he thought was a brilliant solution to not having to get himself to the toilet during the 30+ hours of travel.  He didn't drink any liquids for a few hours before and during the trip.  He died of kidney failure within a few days of arriving.  Was it worth it to save money to not pay a caregiver to come on the journey?    

On 4/20/2019 at 8:59 AM, Aussie999 said:

He's dead mate, he doesn't care what happens to his body...geez, some people will always raise the issue of funds/insurance... get over it.. dead is dead, he long longer cares.

I was thinking of his friends, and possibly the US taxpayer.

Yes dead is DEAD and he doesn't care, but his family/friends might about having to foot the bill

18 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Of course it is lies-and very possibly mentally deranged.How many pages of vicious. nauseating nonsense is this?

..and why has ThaiVisa allowed it to continue?

dont talk about the heart and soul of tvf that way

1 hour ago, the guest said:

Normal size for an American these days

Geez what silly nonsense some folks come up with.

0 never mind it was a poor sad attempt at humour. I see that now

21 hours ago, NancyL said:

Animatic, as someone who has arranged travel for people like this man and even accompanied some as a caregiver, I appreciate your post no. 45 and this clarifying remark, above.  What people are saying on this thread is very insensitive and but to be expected given the way in which this incident has been reported in the media.

It was good that this man knew he needed more space and paid for three seats, but he really should have thought more about his condition and paid for a business class seat, especially given his health and the length of the flight.  The ability to lie down prone to sleep would have vastly improved his travel experience.  Also, he would have had the right to use a larger toilet than the ones in economy.

You said that he came to Thailand often, so he knew what he was getting into as far as the rigors of the trip.  He chose a good airline, with a good transit airport, but he shouldn't have expected the flight attendants to act as caregivers.  He should have had a caregiver travel with him -- someone who had training in how to assist someone in toileting on an airplane.  It was especially necessary since you mentioned that his hand was injured and he couldn't help himself.  How was he to feed himself, use the entertainment, etc, if his hand was injured?

Before the trip, a health care professional should have administered an enema and provided Imodium to be taken during the trip.  This is something we do regularly with the repatriation trips I've been involved with. Also, he should have been wearing adult diapers, the pull-up type with elastic waist so he still could have used the toilet, but the diapers would serve as a back up. 

Frankly, I've seen similar problems with other older men with health problems who routinely travel to Thailand.  They've made the long trip so often that they forget how rigorous it is and that their elderly bodies and aren't as able to handle the rigors.  For example, one man with mobility problems came up with what he thought was a brilliant solution to not having to get himself to the toilet during the 30+ hours of travel.  He didn't drink any liquids for a few hours before and during the trip.  He died of kidney failure within a few days of arriving.  Was it worth it to save money to not pay a caregiver to come on the journey?    

NancyL, Thank you for your thoughtful post. I am sure he would have used your inflight services if he’d both known you and that you could do this. And if he had know he would not last the flight fully continent. 

I don’t know about larger lavatories in business class. Maybe they are. 

I don’t remember saying anything about his hands being impaired. He had foot and leg problems. Toe amputations into the foot and increasing circulation problems below the knee.

Knowing I have problems in these economy micro-lavatories I can see his issues.

With 25 years coming on this same trip, to this same living space, he was familiar with his needs and schedule in former years. This year was rougher than expected. He had said if he wanted to go it would be here, the place he loved so much.

Poorsucker thanks for noting my location.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:20 AM, Nemises said:

Post #45 is fake as the poster fails to make any mention of HOW he “knew” the guy.

Infinitely less false than your logic for this comment. I knew him for many years, he was a friend. Beyond that is not necessary to say.

animatic, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.  

The article in The Sun claimed that your friend said his hand was injured which is why he requested assistance from the flight attendants. That would be a logical explanation about why the incident happened.

The toilets in business and first class are definitely bigger than those in economy.  You get what you pay for.  Now that Hubby and I are getting older, we opt for business class on long flights so we can actually get some sleep and prevent swollen ankles, etc. 

Your friend made the mistake I've seen many others make.  Men who come to Thailand every year and are very familiar with making the journey.  However, as they age and develop health problems they forget that they aren't as resilient as they used to be and what used to be an OK journey at age 55 becomes a grueling trial at age 75.  Why not pay for business class and stay overnight in the transit city?  After all, it's not like you can take your fortunate with you and that trip to Thailand could very well kill you.

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

, as they age and develop health problems they forget that they aren't as resilient as they used to be and what used to be an OK journey at age 55 becomes a grueling trial at age 75.  Why not pay for business class and stay overnight in the transit city?  After all, it's not like you can take your fortunate with you and that trip to Thailand could very well kill you.

That's a good lesson. I just did that coming back and it helps on the journey, especially from the East Coast or the AK. I'm going to do it goin back to BKK, I just don't know where????. Frankfurt? LA?

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

animatic, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.  

The article in The Sun claimed that your friend said his hand was injured which is why he requested assistance from the flight attendants. That would be a logical explanation about why the incident happened.

The toilets in business and first class are definitely bigger than those in economy.  You get what you pay for.  Now that Hubby and I are getting older, we opt for business class on long flights so we can actually get some sleep and prevent swollen ankles, etc. 

Your friend made the mistake I've seen many others make.  Men who come to Thailand every year and are very familiar with making the journey.  However, as they age and develop health problems they forget that they aren't as resilient as they used to be and what used to be an OK journey at age 55 becomes a grueling trial at age 75.  Why not pay for business class and stay overnight in the transit city?  After all, it's not like you can take your fortunate with you and that trip to Thailand could very well kill you.

It sounds like man was too large to fit in a single business class seat so he did what he had to do.  It's unfortunate that the tone of the article is what it is.

FWIW I always fly business on trips back to the states.  If I don't have the money for a business class ticket, I don't go.

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

It sounds like man was too large to fit in a single business class seat so he did what he had to do.  It's unfortunate that the tone of the article is what it is.

FWIW I always fly business on trips back to the states.  If I don't have the money for a business class ticket, I don't go.

Here's a review of the EVA air business class between LAX and TPE.  The passengers have their own "pods" and there is no way a passenger is going to encroach on the personal space of another.  Also, there is mention of how the business class toilets are very spacious and the seats fully recline, complete with sheets and blankets.  Looks like a very nice way to travel.  Someone would have to be very large indeed not to be able to fit into this seat.

https://onemileatatime.com/eva-air-business-class-777-review/

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Here's a review of the EVA air business class between LAX and TPE.  The passengers have their own "pods" and there is no way a passenger is going to encroach on the personal space of another.  Also, there is mention of how the business class toilets are very spacious and the seats fully recline, complete with sheets and blankets.  Looks like a very nice way to travel.  Someone would have to be very large indeed not to be able to fit into this seat.

https://onemileatatime.com/eva-air-business-class-777-review/

31 stone = 434 lbs = very large indeed.  He would not fit into those seats. 

we need bigger bathrooms on airplanes, and bigger seats.

but we also do too much cleaning up, even of dirty butts.

personally, I'd also like to see folks stop cleaning up beaches and other tourist attractions as well as human backsides..... including the Notre Dame tourist attraction when they get that one rebuilt... so that tourists, including myself of course, can have a genuine travel experience by seeing the world 'au naturale'... even when unpleasant. as is.

dirty behinds that need assistance to be wiped in a bathroom too small for largish air travelers... and beach and ocean trash... are actually not what we should be spending so much time on.

have you noticed?  any story involving aviation is always a hot big topic.... unless it is about the stuff we can't see or smell.... yet is a very serious problem. the Paris 2015 "carbon removals".

Archived