How hard is it to pay back taxes on a motorcycle?

Ahab

Saw a bike for sale for a good price and in good condition, with a green book. Bad news is that taxes have not been paid for a number of years. How hard is it to pay the back taxes during the transfer of the green book?

I am thinking it might be too much trouble.

Should not be a problem. Although if you don't speak great thai might need a person to help facilitate, explain.

I re licensed a bike that had not had been licensed in 9 years. I think I paid 800 + chicken feed. but in this case got a new icense plate and all. 

• Like 2

I had a 2-stoke bike which I didn't use for years. I asked at Red Barron about the years without registration and they told me no problem. I just have to pay for all those years but that's it.

But I never did it. I sold the bike later without renewing the tax.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a problem and not expensive if it's truly registered. You will most likely be liable for past insurance defaults also. Again not expensive.

Can't remember exactly because all my bikes are old but you may need to have the bike tested and pay retrospective fees.

DLT just calculates it and adds t to the book- whichever years are outstanding are just paid for by you ( as you will never be able to recoup it from the original owner). For a bike it will not be expensive

17 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

DLT just calculates it and adds t to the book- whichever years are outstanding are just paid for by you ( as you will never be able to recoup it from the original owner). For a bike it will not be expensive

They won't tax it without paying the back dues of the parabor. You are ignorant of what's required.

Its not as easy as some are making out, check it out carefully, I tried taxing a bike I have had in storage for 15 years here and was told impossible - too long, I never pursued it, as wasn't that bothered, so still stored .............

• Like 1

Make some copies of the book and go to the Land Transport Office and ask them.

But only if it's worth the hassle. And make sure that you'll have the seller's copy of his ID card, must be the last owner's ID card.

If the seller can't come up with that, please forget it, you'll only get a huge headache. Even having the green book doesn't make you to the owner, if you can't show the signed ( after printed out) copy of the former owner's ( not the seller's) ID card.

It sounds weird, but it's their law.