UK PM Theresa May to be told to quit by top Conservative: Sunday Times

webfact

11 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m afraid you don’t have a clue (the typical Brexiteer). 

Again, we'll see. If you had a clue, then you would acknowledge that there is a case that this rushed extension was requested illegally (UK Constitutional Law) and may become invalid. But I know you won't want to admit that. 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nauseus said:

If you had a clue, then you would acknowledge that there is a case that this rushed extension was requested illegally (UK Constitutional Law) and may become invalid. But I know you won't want to admit that. 

I never disagreed to this. What you and other Brexiteers fail to see is that it doesn’t have anything to do with your EU membership. Even if a court ruled that the government has acted illegally it wouldn’t render the extension invalid because a UK court cannot change a contract in international laws between the EU and UK. I don’t know what the implications of such ruling would be, I.e. whether you could sue May or send her to jail or whatever. It certainly wouldn’t change that you’re still a member of the EU. 

8 hours ago, aright said:

Tell us about it! How many times have the EU pulled that trick?

6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Zero times. 

Really! In 2008 the Irish voted against further European integration so what did the EU do?

In collaboration with the Irish government they made them vote again after explanations that the Irish didn't really know what they were voting for (where have I heard that before) and sufficient threats about undesirable outcomes if they voted the wrong way. This was arrogant, insulting and undemocratic...…..typical of what the EU and its disciples advocate if joe public gives them the wrong answer.

On other voting issues...……..

How may people voted to join the EU in 1973......0% we were taken in (literally as well) without being asked.

In 1975 how many people voted to stay in the EU?...…..0% we voted to remain in a common market trade agreement involving no loss of sovereignty or independence as we were told at the time.

in 1992 how many people voted for loss of sovereignty in Maastricht...…..0%

How many people voted for further loss of sovereignty in Lisbon?....0%  

How many people voted to have open borders with many poor ex communist countries leading to social and political problems in the UK?...…..0%   

5 hours ago, jayboy said:

An example of someone who has a perfectly good point to make but through childish hysteria and exaggeration loses the chance to be taken seriously.

5 hours ago, jayboy said:
  On 4/22/2019 at 7:43 AM, brommers said:

I agree that she is and always has been a loathsome creature who harbours strong anti immigrant attitudes. The trouble is who else in the Tory party should succeed her? That fatuous idiot BJ, that pompous ass Rees Mogg, the woman of little brain called Leadsom? There is not a single member of that party who is not a prize twit. And those who voted for them only have themselves to blame. Britain is a shabby little island that is busy sailing off into total oblivion. Good riddance.

Actually I  agree with this statement about the quality of available politicians to replace May. Boris is the man the British Ambassador in Myanmar had to stop reciting "The road to Mandalay" to his hosts who were desperate to distance themselves from the colonial "Rape of Burma" past. He is the ultimate private school creep, who believes in his pathetic and pompous little mind that a Private school education has made him worldly wise, which no other life experience has appeared to change. No country can be bad enough that they deserve him as PM. Rees Mogg is similar. The only senior Tory balanced enough for the job is Hammond IMHO. There may be others, but as the beast of Bolsover correctly said half of the Tory MPs are crooks. Much the same goes for the Labour Party, their best people have been pushed away to the back benches by the Stalinist purge. 

However "Total oblivion" is a bit over the top. And despite our politicians best efforts (Hard right Brexiteers in particular) we haven't reached peak shabby yet unlike Trump's US. The whole Brexit mess has though, been utterly humiliating, and made us the laughing stock of the world. If only we could sail off somewhere to hide our shame.

10 minutes ago, aright said:

Really! In 2008 the Irish voted against further European integration so what did the EU do?

In collaboration with the Irish government they made them vote again after explanations that the Irish didn't really know what they were voting for (where have I heard that before) and sufficient threats about undesirable outcomes if they voted the wrong way. This was arrogant, insulting and undemocratic...…..typical of what the EU and its disciples advocate if joe public gives them the wrong answer.

Don’t post nonsense and make yourself look stupid. The EU did never and cannot hold any votes in Ireland. Ireland is a sovereign country that made a sovereign decision to hold a referendum, same as the UK did. The Irish people voted in way you don’t like. Live with it. 

On other voting issues...……..

How may people voted to join the EU in 1973......0% we were taken in (literally as well) without being asked.

In 1975 how many people voted to stay in the EU?...…..0% we voted to remain in a common market trade agreement involving no loss of sovereignty or independence as we were told at the time.

in 1992 how many people voted for loss of sovereignty in Maastricht...…..0%

How many people voted for further loss of sovereignty in Lisbon?....0%  

How many people voted to have open borders with many poor ex communist countries leading to social and political problems in the UK?...…..0%   

How many people voted for the latest tax reform or the minimum wage? If you don’t like representative democracy, found your own state on a remote island. 

Either way, all those decisions again were sovereign decisions of sovereign nations. The EU did not and does not have any say in it at all. Get your facts right or stop lying. How do expect anyone to take you seriously if you don’t even understand what competencies and rights the EU has and what not? 

7 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Dont post nonsense and make yourself look stupid. The EU did never and cannot hold any votes in Ireland. Ireland is a sovereign that made a sovereign decision to hold a referendum, same as the UK did. The Irish people voted in way you don’t like. 

How many people voted for the latest tax reform or the minimum wage? If you don’t like representative democracy, found your own state on a remote island. 

Either way, all those decisions again we’re sovereign decisions of sovereign nations. The EU did not and does not have any say in it at all. Get your facts right or stop lying. 

The Irish people voted in a way the EU didn't like.

The subject is referenda w.r.t. EU - you are deviating with this tax/wage stuff.

You are saying that the EU had no say in reversing the decisions made in the initial referenda taken in Ireland, The Netherlands, Denmark and France? You are just lying to yourself in that case. 

9 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Don’t post nonsense and make yourself look stupid. The EU did never and cannot hold any votes in Ireland. Ireland is a sovereign country that made a sovereign decision to hold a referendum, same as the UK did. The Irish people voted in way you don’t like. Live with it. 

Either way, all those decisions again were sovereign decisions of sovereign nations. The EU did not and does not have any say in it at all. Get your facts right or stop lying. How do expect anyone to take you seriously if you don’t even understand what competencies and rights the EU has and what not? 

Stupid? Liar? I'm not here to swap insults. Have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The Irish people voted in a way the EU didn't like.

And the American people voted in a way that I don’t like. What’s your point?

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The subject is referenda w.r.t. EU - you are deviating with this tax/wage stuff.

You are saying that the EU had no say in reversing the decisions made in the initial referenda taken in Ireland, The Netherlands, Denmark and France? You are just lying to yourself in that case. 

I am stating facts. There is no single piece of legislation that would allow the EU to hold a vote in a member state, let alone any way that would allow the EU to change the results of such vote. You can lookup the relevant laws and agreements and constitutions before showing the whole world how ill informed you are. 

6 minutes ago, aright said:

Stupid? Liar? I'm not here to swap insults. Have a nice day.

I didn’t insult anyone. You made yourself look stupid and lied about what rights and competencies the EU has or not. That was your choice alone. You could have informed yourself before posting; the relevant constitutions, laws and agreements can all be researched online. 

Have a nice day too. 

44 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Actually I  agree with this statement about the quality of available politicians to replace May. Boris is the man the British Ambassador in Myanmar had to stop reciting "The road to Mandalay" to his hosts who were desperate to distance themselves from the colonial "Rape of Burma" past. He is the ultimate private school creep, who believes in his pathetic and pompous little mind that a Private school education has made him worldly wise, which no other life experience has appeared to change. No country can be bad enough that they deserve him as PM. Rees Mogg is similar. The only senior Tory balanced enough for the job is Hammond IMHO. There may be others, but as the beast of Bolsover correctly said half of the Tory MPs are crooks. Much the same goes for the Labour Party, their best people have been pushed away to the back benches by the Stalinist purge. 

However "Total oblivion" is a bit over the top. And despite our politicians best efforts (Hard right Brexiteers in particular) we haven't reached peak shabby yet unlike Trump's US. The whole Brexit mess has though, been utterly humiliating, and made us the laughing stock of the world. If only we could sail off somewhere to hide our shame.

Your views seem distorted through class prejudice. For better or worse - this is changing now a bit - English public schools have educated the children of the English upper middle and upper class. It's inevitable that this demographic will throw up political talent. (Churchill, Attlee, Macmillan, Crosland, Gaitskell etc etc). I agree Johnson is not suitable though your account of the Burmese incident is absurd and more importantly incorrect: he remains the leading candidate to succeed May. His problem is that while popular with members of the party, too many Tory MPs loathe him. Rees Mogg is different and was never a serious candidate.

I presume with the suggestion of Hammond, you are having a laugh. He's not even in the list of serious candidates.

My money is on Jeremy Hunt and as an outside possibility, Sajid Javid. The ablest of them all (intellectually and politically) is Michael Gove with his planet-sized brain, immaculate courtesy to all and genuine interest in policy reform. But he's got a poor reputation with the public.

40 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

And the American people voted in a way that I don’t like. What’s your point?

I am stating facts. There is no single piece of legislation that would allow the EU to hold a vote in a member state, let alone any way that would allow the EU to change the results of such vote. You can lookup the relevant laws and agreements and constitutions before showing the whole world how ill informed you are. 

Point is the Irish and the rest were either "invited" to vote again or just plain ignored! Or did no one inform you about that? I'm not talking legislation. I'm talking about EU bullying and coercion, with the help of complicit and EU sympathetic national governments, just as we are seeing with the UK now.

How easily the ECJ allowed the possibility of a unilateral backtrack on Article 50 the day before the first "meaningful" vote (one of their fastest ever rulings..ha ha ha). How easily the EU allowed not one but two brexit extensions. The world may decide who is the most ill informed and that's fine by me. When I snap my fingers you might wake up (but you probably won't remember anything).

1...  2....  3

50 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I didn’t insult anyone. You made yourself look stupid and lied about what rights and competencies the EU has or not. That was your choice alone. You could have informed yourself before posting; the relevant constitutions, laws and agreements can all be researched online. 

Have a nice day too. 

Aright is right. You do regularly insult others and you just did it again.   

Now this is a surprise!!

LIFELONG Conservative Ann Widdecombe today makes a sensational return to frontline politics as a Brexit Party candidate. The 71-year-old former minister – a loyal Tory for 55 years – said she was “compelled” to put retirement on hold to help finally deliver the referendum result.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1118055/Ann-Widdecombe-defects-Brexit-Party-Lifelong-Tory-turns-back-on-party

1 minute ago, aright said:

Now this is a surprise!!

LIFELONG Conservative Ann Widdecombe today makes a sensational return to frontline politics as a Brexit Party candidate. The 71-year-old former minister – a loyal Tory for 55 years – said she was “compelled” to put retirement on hold to help finally deliver the referendum result.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1118055/Ann-Widdecombe-defects-Brexit-Party-Lifelong-Tory-turns-back-on-party

She's due to be interviewed on Sky ????

36 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Point is the Irish and the rest were either "invited" to vote again or just plain ignored! Or did no one inform you about that? I'm not talking legislation. I'm talking about EU bullying and coercion, with the help of complicit and EU sympathetic national governments, just as we are seeing with the UK now.

How easily the ECJ allowed the possibility of a unilateral backtrack on Article 50 the day before the first "meaningful" vote (one of their fastest ever rulings..ha ha ha). How easily the EU allowed not one but two brexit extensions. The world may decide who is the most ill informed and that's fine by me. When I snap my fingers you might wake up (but you probably won't remember anything).

1...  2....  3

“I’m not talking legislation” — of course you’re not, because legislation proves you’re babbling nonsense. It was the Irish’s own sovereign decision to hold a referendum. It was the Irish people’s own decision how they voted in the referendum. So it was the UK’s own sovereign decision to ask for an extension. Same as it was the UK’s own sovereign decision to reject a no-deal Brexit. Those are facts. All written and for everyone available the in the respective legislation. The fact that you don’t like it doesn’t change it. 

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

She's due to be interviewed on Sky ????

Just saw the interview and in technical terms thought it very good unfortunately Ann like Boris appears to be a bit of a ditherer which doesn't have broad appeal but certainly at 71 she will grab the grey vote.

2 hours ago, aright said:

Just saw the interview and in technical terms thought it very good unfortunately Ann like Boris appears to be a bit of a ditherer which doesn't have broad appeal but certainly at 71 she will grab the grey vote.

I missed it but this seems fine to me:

17 minutes ago, bomber said:

none 

The Guardian disagrees with you. Can you provide the evidence that in October of the same year a second referendum wasn't held?

In June this year, 53.4% of Irish voters rejected the Lisbon treaty, against 46.6% who supported it (giving the "No" camp a "sweeping victory" similar to Obama's). Yet now the Irish will be asked to vote again. EU officials' behind-doors deal to force a second referendum in Ireland reveals their utter contempt for Irish voters, and for democracy itself. It is an historic sucker punch against the sovereignty of the people.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/dec/13/eu-ireland-lisbon-treaty

12 minutes ago, aright said:

The Guardian disagrees with you. Can you provide the evidence that in October of the same year a second referendum wasn't held?

In June this year, 53.4% of Irish voters rejected the Lisbon treaty, against 46.6% who supported it (giving the "No" camp a "sweeping victory" similar to Obama's). Yet now the Irish will be asked to vote again. EU officials' behind-doors deal to force a second referendum in Ireland reveals their utter contempt for Irish voters, and for democracy itself.

What legislation exactly enables the EU to force a referendum on Ireland? 

12 minutes ago, aright said:

It is an historic sucker punch against the sovereignty of the people.

If it was such a “historic sucker punch against the sovereignty of the people” why did the people not vote against it, or why did they show up at all?

Like I said, all nonsense. 

19 minutes ago, aright said:

In June this year, 53.4% of Irish voters rejected the Lisbon treaty, against 46.6% who supported it (giving the "No" camp a "sweeping victory" similar to Obama's). Yet now the Irish will be asked to vote again. EU officials' behind-doors deal to force a second referendum in Ireland reveals their utter contempt for Irish voters, and for democracy itself. It is an historic sucker punch against the sovereignty of the people.

its over 10 years old and even if your were right it seems the irish arent really bothered and much prefer being in the EU,most polls return 80-90% in favour of staying in

There is no 

19 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

What legislation exactly enables the EU to force a referendum on Ireland? 

If it was such a “historic sucker punch against the sovereignty of the people” why did the people not vote against it, or why did they show up at all?

Like I said, all nonsense. 

There is no up front legislation that would allow the EU to force another referendum but there is hidden synarchy. At that time all the major political parties in Ireland were in favour of closer integration with the EU so they were quite happy to front another referendum......it was in their and the EU's interests. All member states had to give it the nod for it to happen. To claim the EU puts member states interests  before "The Project" is naïve. 

23 minutes ago, bomber said:

its over 10 years old and even if your were right it seems the irish arent really bothered and much prefer being in the EU,most polls return 80-90% in favour of staying in

From your answer I take it you can't support your claim with evidence. The referendum wasn't about staying in the EU it was about closer integration.

10 minutes ago, aright said:

From your answer I take it you can't support your claim with evidence. The referendum wasn't about staying in the EU it was about closer integration.

in means in for your paddy neighbours and no hard border and no brexit.they want closer integration and no hard border just like the majority of the north regardless of religion and that ends your dream of brexit. rejoice rejoice rejoice

1 hour ago, aright said:

There is no 

There is no up front legislation that would allow the EU to force another referendum but there is hidden synarchy. At that time all the major political parties in Ireland were in favour of closer integration with the EU so they were quite happy to front another referendum......it was in their and the EU's interests.

So a sovereign state made a sovereign decision that was in its interests. I guess the only thing that’s wrong with that is that it was also in the EU’s interest and thus not in your interest. 

All member states had to give it the nod for it to happen. To claim the EU puts member states interests  before "The Project" is naïve. 

Every member state has a veto right and A50 to preserve its interests. “The Project” are the member states and their interests, otherwise they wouldn’t be there. 

Archived