Poll: Retired Expats in Thailand -- in light of visa changes would you recommend Thailand to new retired expats?

Jingthing

Recommend or not?  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

The visa situation, to me, has hardly changed. So, if someone considering moving here asked me my opinion, I'd tell them only move here if you either have health insurance or a sizable wad of cash available for medical needs.  800k in the bank is a reasonable requirement and serves as an emergency source of cash if needed.  

There are a hundred reasons to move here and another hundred to not move here.  All the recent hullabaloo about immigration hasn't amounted to much change at all.

I would say visa is now less hassle for me - I will just leave the 800k in the bank and so don't have to remind myself to replenish three months before, nor do I have to get a new bank book in advance of this to ensure all transactions are in one book.

I still understand I have to be out of here while I still can - this is a years not months timescale based on the risk of changes that mean I no longer qualify when I am too old to relocate.

Thailand is not a "retirement" destination now. It is along stay holiday for those who qualify for 1 yr extensions/pay for elite.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I would recommend Thailand to my compatriots(Belgians) based on the actual Immigration rules, which haven't changed for us. 

They have for Belgians doing

800K applications (much more seasoning and also the lockup)

Combo methods (reports that at least one office isn't doing combo applications at all anymore). For offices still accepting them with or without letter, the enforcement rules are now much more complicated and confusing, even to the officers, because the bank portion must now somehow conform to similar rules at the 800K method super seasoning.

Many officers can't even tell you the specific mechanical rules.

It's a total mess. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

I would recommend Thailand to my compatriots(Belgians) based on the actual Immigration rules, which haven't changed for us. 

Yet..........................

can you be sure that will hold over a retirement horizon of 30+ years.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Yet..........................

can you be sure that will hold over a retirement horizon of 30+ years.

That's a big part of my point.

The trend is already super clear.

People shouldn't feel they can only afford it now unless they're consciously only coming here for a year or two.

That is not "retiring" here.

That's a long holiday. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

based on the actual Immigration rules, which haven't changed for us. 

I meant based on the fact that a Letter of Income is still accepted by Immigration. 

No money needed on a Thai bankbook, no monthly minimum transfer of 65000 needed. 

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

can you be sure

One must take in account that nothing is sure here. 

One must have a plan B, even eventually C, but no paranoïa. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

With my current visit to Australia, the costs for basics are similar now to Thailand as long as I do not eat out. Yet, if I do eat out, it is comparable to eating farang food prices in Thailand, so no real biggie.

And this is the real biggie - for around $7000 I can get my wife PR in Australia, something I am unable to do in Thailand.

yeah but it's Australia

• Haha 1