Renewal of Extension (Retirement)

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

you cannot scam an official document.  so where are they coming from.

I just did for amusement. Of course, a forensic experts will identify it as forged documents but I don't expect TI's to be forensic experts. 

52 minutes ago, malibukid said:

i have a SS1099 form.  this is not an affidavit.  this is a document.  an affidavit is a sworn statement.  look it up.

If wishes were horses beggars would ride.  What difference does it make they never accepted it and didn't start.  Nothing new.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If wishes were horses beggars would ride.  What difference does it make they never accepted it and didn't start.  Nothing new.

13 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I just did for amusement. Of course, a forensic experts will identify it as forged documents but I don't expect TI's to be forensic experts. 

14 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

right and they cannot be bothered to verify the documents, bogus. it reeks of a scam.

7 hours ago, jesimps said:

I suspect that there are very few "scammers", but some of our supposed fellow farang on here think that just because people have some difficulty in proving their income to TI that they must be "scammers". I personally don't know of one farange who's scamming the system, although could imagine thousands if I was that way inclined.

TI will not verify official documents from certain countries.  my consulate could have done this simply by checking with SS.  there must be a data base that they could have linked to verify income statements back in the states.  i say reinstate the income letters but once only verified by the consulate.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you are writing about using a combination of income and funds in the bank.

This is the requirement for the proof of that income.

image.png.d781a75a9fd33016e1e99c29c01b25d1.png

Or this that you do not have,

image.png.67c7b1f7652ab908d4ff7ed927b1f74a.png

The combination is 5 in another police order.

image.png.5ecd3f96bfe94612daefb6ad6f780cfe.png

fine, i will take the SS document down to immigration and see if they will "certify it"  i will ask them to please contact SS if necessary.  this is different from "issuing an income letter"  as stated in U.S. suspension order.  the income affidavit was a document generated within the auspices of the consulate and is therefore different and apart from a income "statement" generated outside the auspices of the consulate and as such is independent of it.

Edited by malibukid

26 minutes ago, malibukid said:

fine, i will take the SS document down to immigration and see if they will "certify it"  i will ask them to please contact SS if necessary.

That will never happen. Immigration does not certify anything.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is info on this page in Danish under certificates (translated Google translate.

http://thailand.um.dk/da/rejse-og-ophold/borgerservice/attester/

It states that they can certify statements. Immigration will accept those.

Thanks...:wai: 

Yes, that has been an option for a while, but is not an income documentation, but only a verification of a retirement fund letter stating what is paid directly from that retirement fund, and not including private savings, or any other sources of income. But yes, it might help some, even cost is equivalent to 6,000 baht and up to 17,000 baht for a letter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Thanks...:wai: 

Yes, that has been an option for a while, but is not an income documentation, but only a verification of a retirement fund letter stating what is paid directly from that retirement fund, and not including private savings, or any other sources of income. But yes, it might help some, even cost is equivalent to 6,000 baht and up to 17,000 baht for a letter.

now lets see if America will step up to the plate?  most of us Americans are very honest and would love to have the opportunity to prove it, even though it may cost.  i say put the old ball in their court.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, malibukid said:

now lets see if America will step up to the plate?  most of us Americans are very honest and would love to have the opportunity to prove it, even though it may cost.  i say put the old ball in their court.

here's and idea.  why can't documentation be sent between official government agencies say, from Social Security directly to the relevant Embassy or Consulate and than the recipient could be notified and the Embassy would certify it as being genuine as having been an interagency communication.  simple.  no tampering, completely legit. 

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, jesimps said:

I personally don't know of one farange who's scamming the system, although could imagine thousands if I was that way inclined.

You need to get out more or I am mixing with a bad crowd. ????

I know one who formerly obtained an Embassy document that was not really based on much, and another who uses an agent that did the 800k in/out method. 

I don't expect these agents offices survive on a client base of the odd one or two. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, malibukid said:

i meant the U.S. consulate my mistake. sorry

The will not do it either. They are not allowed to certify anything.

As I wrote before this has all been discussed in topics since October of last year when the embassy announced they would not do the income affidavits anymore.

You could have an affidavit in hand to use until June since the did not stop issuing them until December 31st and they are valid for 6 months.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Deerculler said:

Recently I was suspended on Thai Visa for speaking out of turn.

I apologize.

The reason I got carried away was that  I am concerned that the read the posts here and we will all cop a back lash from immigration in particular.

It was not my intention to offend. 

Thank you.

No need to apologize. The rules here are subject to the interpretation of the various moderators in my opinion. I was recently threatened for using too many emojis 

• Like 1

Seems a lot of people in this thread need to read more threads on TV and talk to more foreigners. 

I've met a more than a few over the last 15 years that I've been living here that were using various ways to get around the requirements. I've probably read hundreds of threads written by other expats who are either trying to find a way around the rules, or bragging about how they've been getting away with it. (In the years before I started "living here" I was just visiting now and then and didn't care about things like "visas" and didn't spend a lot of time talking to other foreigners.)

Just because you (as in the generic "you" and not "you" specifically) haven't personally met similar people (and maybe don't read a lot of threads on TV regularly) doesn't mean there are no scammers or maybe only "just a few".

Every time Immigration cracks down and changes the rules, there is a flood of people whining about how they are trying to get rid of all the foreigners or trying to force them all to use "agents" (etc, etc). When you actually read those threads and all the posts in them, it doesn't take long to figure out that a lot of the people whining are the ones who've been using some scam/loop hole to get around the requirements and have just seen that method get shut down.

Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the unlimited "30 Day stamps" at the borders. 

Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "ED" visas.
Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "borrowing 800k for a day to get a bank letter" scam.
Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "Income letter" method.
Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "funds in bank" method. Again. 
Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "Income" method by requiring money to be deposited every month in a Thai bank.

Like a lot of the people who will whine when Immigration cracks down on that method when they realize how many people are simply transferring a sum to their Thai bank every month and then transferring all (or most of it) "back home" and then doing the same thing next month and every month thereafter.

Some people on Thaivisa (and people I've talked to in person) have been talking about doing that ever since the rule change was first proposed last year.

You know. The people who think they've figured out a way to get around the rules by using the same 65k and just transferring it back and forth each month. (Even when you take the transfer fees and exchange rates into account, it would still be a lot cheaper than having to have 800k in an account for 5 months and then 400k in an account for the rest of the year).

Some thought they could simply transfer the cash from one Thai bank to another, then withdraw it (or transfer it back) and then do it again the next month.

Some thought they might even get away with simply withdrawing the money and then re-depositing it (using an ATM).

Some thought they might get away with making a larger deposit every 3-4 months and then transferring it back (as the proposed rules said an "average deposit of 65k/month they were thinking they might transfer 260k every 4 months and then send the money back as it would be cheaper/easier than transferring 65k/month).

All these rule changes have come about as Thailand tries to get rid of the people that can't meet the financial requirements to live here. (Personally I think their requirements are out of touch with reality but there's not much we can do about that.)

People were bragging (on internet forums and other places) about how they've been living in Thailand for years by just getting a new 30 Day stamp every month. Immigration cracked down on that and limited the number of times people could do that in a year. (The whining that went on afterwards was of epic proportions.)

People were bragging (in the same places) about how they were able to get ED visas and never attend a single language class. Immigration started cracking down on the Language schools and the fake students.

People were bragging about how they were able to get their "bank letter" by borrowing 800k from an agent "for a day", getting their letter, then giving the money back (with interest) and getting their new Extension. Immigration cracked down on that by bringing in the 3 month "seasoning" requirement.

People were bragging about how they were using "income letters" even though they didn't actually have as much as they claimed and little (if any) of it was actually coming into Thailand. Immigration informed the Embassies that if they didn't verify the income statements were true, they could be held liable.

Some Embassies decided to stop issuing the letters altogether, perhaps knowing that a large number of them were probably fraudulent and they had no way of actually verifying them (despite what some uninformed people seem to think). Some embassies are apparently willing to assume the liability (or maybe they don't really know what the issue is or didn't bother reading the Immigration notice sent to them).

No doubt the rule requiring the "monthly income" to be deposited into a Thai bank every month also came about as a result of what Immigration was seeing on various internet forums. Probably people bragging about how little they actually make (once the ex-wives get their cut) and how little they actually bring into Thailand. I've met people who would go on and on about their (2-3) ex-wives back home and all the alimony/child support they have to pay every month. Most of their "income" is gone the moment it hits their account.

People were bragging (again) about how they were able to get around the 3 month "seasoning" requirement by using agents (again) that were able to somehow provide bank accounts/letters that appeared to show the foreigner had the required funds in the bank for the required amount of time, despite not actually having a pot to piss in (so to speak - colloquial English).

Immigration, again, cracked down on that by requiring the funds to be in the bank for 2 (or 3) months prior to applying for an Extension as well as keeping the full amount in the bank for 3 months afterwards and then expecting you to keep 400k in the account for the rest of the year.

How people get the impression that Immigration is doing that in order to force more people into using agents (so that some IOs can get a kick back) is laughable. The purpose is to get rid of the people who CAN'T meet the requirement and making it even harder for "agents" to be able to help them get around the rules.

And yes, I doubt it is any "coincidence" that many of those rule changes came about after there were numerous topics and posts (on all manner of internet forums I suspect), many from people who were discussing how they've been getting around the current rules.

Just like I doubt it will be a "coincidence" if Immigration cracks down on the "65k/month" rule in the near future. They'll see all the threads from all the people trying to figure out ways to beat the rules and then they'll come out with new rules. I suspect nothing will happen during the first year under the new rules, though they could (possibly) suggest changes next Fall and bring them into effect next March (like they did Fall and this March).

And then there will be a whole slew of new threads from a lot of people complaining about how they had legitimate reasons for transferring the required funds into their Thai bank and then (very soon afterwards) sending it all "back home" again. Every month.
Just like happens every other time Immigration cracks down on a method "some" people use to get around the rules.
(Not everyone of course but if you think no one is trying to scam the system one way or another, you really need to open your eyes as it happens - a lot. There are a lot of foreigners living in Thailand because they can't-afford-to-live in their home countries and can barely afford to live in Thailand.)

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the long post, Kerryd. I won't 'quote' it as it's directly above this response. 

You make a lot of valid points. However the problem with the recent changes is that it impacts on many people who aren't scammers and who have lived here legally for many years. Many of the 'scams; that you detail as having been perpetrated in the past were clearly that -'scams'.

The current problems started with the removal of the income letters by a few embassies (and I don't want to go over who said what to who again). I understand that the affidavit method was wide open to abuse by some people but the UK method was quite robust.  I used to get quite a bit of paperwork together each year as evidence of my pensions.  Like many people, I am sure, having lived in the Kingdom for many years I am now faced with real uncertainty. Up until now these problems were somewhat academic for me but for now, having just been given my last visa extension using an embassy letter, I am now 'live' in the process. So what do I do? Do I continue to use Transferwise into my new Bangkok Bank account and hope for the best? Or do I bite the bullet and revert to using the slow and expensive Swift banking system for 65K each month.  And how will I know that even this will suit the Immigration officers? What about the scare stories of the payment needing to be at the same time each month?  Or one missed payment for whatever reason with no allowance to 'catch up'? I can do all these things but it is the not knowing that is creating the uncertainty and concern.  All because of the 'scammers'?

Without wishing to repeat some of my previous posts, I would point out that I comfortably meet the income requirements (indeed I did state some time back that my wife would divorce me if we only had 65K to live on each month!) so in no way am I a scammer.  I do, however, understand that there are many single guys who do need a lot less than 65K a month to enjoy a good lifestyle here and, even though they could previously demonstrate honestly that they had this income back in their home country, there was previously no requirement for all that money to be transferred into the Kingdom each month.      

I guess that, over the rest of the year, things will become clearer as more people come up against the new requirements. I will just be monitoring events.  If it all looks like it's going pear-shaped I can sell some of the investments I hold in the UK and bring 800K over in January for the three month seasoning.  I am loath to do this, I already have over 6 million baht invested in property in the Kingdom and the rest of my savings are doing quite nicely where they are, thank you!

To repeat.  I have no issue with a lot of what you say.  i am just pointing out that the most recent changes are impacting honest, genuine people who have until now done all that has been asked of them to remain in the Kingdom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Seems a lot of people in this thread need to read more threads on TV and talk to more foreigners. 

I've met a more than a few over the last 15 years that I've been living here that were using various ways to get around the requirements. I've probably read hundreds of threads written by other expats who are either trying to find a way around the rules, or bragging about how they've been getting away with it. (In the years before I started "living here" I was just visiting now and then and didn't care about things like "visas" and didn't spend a lot of time talking to other foreigners.)

Just because you (as in the generic "you" and not "you" specifically) haven't personally met similar people (and maybe don't read a lot of threads on TV regularly) doesn't mean there are no scammers or maybe only "just a few".

Every time Immigration cracks down and changes the rules, there is a flood of people whining about how they are trying to get rid of all the foreigners or trying to force them all to use "agents" (etc, etc). When you actually read those threads and all the posts in them, it doesn't take long to figure out that a lot of the people whining are the ones who've been using some scam/loop hole to get around the requirements and have just seen that method get shut down.

Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the unlimited "30 Day stamps" at the borders. 

Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "ED" visas.
Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "borrowing 800k for a day to get a bank letter" scam.
Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "Income letter" method.
Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "funds in bank" method. Again. 
Like a lot of the people who whined when they cracked down on the "Income" method by requiring money to be deposited every month in a Thai bank.

Like a lot of the people who will whine when Immigration cracks down on that method when they realize how many people are simply transferring a sum to their Thai bank every month and then transferring all (or most of it) "back home" and then doing the same thing next month and every month thereafter.

Some people on Thaivisa (and people I've talked to in person) have been talking about doing that ever since the rule change was first proposed last year.

You know. The people who think they've figured out a way to get around the rules by using the same 65k and just transferring it back and forth each month. (Even when you take the transfer fees and exchange rates into account, it would still be a lot cheaper than having to have 800k in an account for 5 months and then 400k in an account for the rest of the year).

Some thought they could simply transfer the cash from one Thai bank to another, then withdraw it (or transfer it back) and then do it again the next month.

Some thought they might even get away with simply withdrawing the money and then re-depositing it (using an ATM).

Some thought they might get away with making a larger deposit every 3-4 months and then transferring it back (as the proposed rules said an "average deposit of 65k/month they were thinking they might transfer 260k every 4 months and then send the money back as it would be cheaper/easier than transferring 65k/month).

All these rule changes have come about as Thailand tries to get rid of the people that can't meet the financial requirements to live here. (Personally I think their requirements are out of touch with reality but there's not much we can do about that.)

People were bragging (on internet forums and other places) about how they've been living in Thailand for years by just getting a new 30 Day stamp every month. Immigration cracked down on that and limited the number of times people could do that in a year. (The whining that went on afterwards was of epic proportions.)

People were bragging (in the same places) about how they were able to get ED visas and never attend a single language class. Immigration started cracking down on the Language schools and the fake students.

People were bragging about how they were able to get their "bank letter" by borrowing 800k from an agent "for a day", getting their letter, then giving the money back (with interest) and getting their new Extension. Immigration cracked down on that by bringing in the 3 month "seasoning" requirement.

People were bragging about how they were using "income letters" even though they didn't actually have as much as they claimed and little (if any) of it was actually coming into Thailand. Immigration informed the Embassies that if they didn't verify the income statements were true, they could be held liable.

Some Embassies decided to stop issuing the letters altogether, perhaps knowing that a large number of them were probably fraudulent and they had no way of actually verifying them (despite what some uninformed people seem to think). Some embassies are apparently willing to assume the liability (or maybe they don't really know what the issue is or didn't bother reading the Immigration notice sent to them).

No doubt the rule requiring the "monthly income" to be deposited into a Thai bank every month also came about as a result of what Immigration was seeing on various internet forums. Probably people bragging about how little they actually make (once the ex-wives get their cut) and how little they actually bring into Thailand. I've met people who would go on and on about their (2-3) ex-wives back home and all the alimony/child support they have to pay every month. Most of their "income" is gone the moment it hits their account.

People were bragging (again) about how they were able to get around the 3 month "seasoning" requirement by using agents (again) that were able to somehow provide bank accounts/letters that appeared to show the foreigner had the required funds in the bank for the required amount of time, despite not actually having a pot to piss in (so to speak - colloquial English).

Immigration, again, cracked down on that by requiring the funds to be in the bank for 2 (or 3) months prior to applying for an Extension as well as keeping the full amount in the bank for 3 months afterwards and then expecting you to keep 400k in the account for the rest of the year.

How people get the impression that Immigration is doing that in order to force more people into using agents (so that some IOs can get a kick back) is laughable. The purpose is to get rid of the people who CAN'T meet the requirement and making it even harder for "agents" to be able to help them get around the rules.

And yes, I doubt it is any "coincidence" that many of those rule changes came about after there were numerous topics and posts (on all manner of internet forums I suspect), many from people who were discussing how they've been getting around the current rules.

Just like I doubt it will be a "coincidence" if Immigration cracks down on the "65k/month" rule in the near future. They'll see all the threads from all the people trying to figure out ways to beat the rules and then they'll come out with new rules. I suspect nothing will happen during the first year under the new rules, though they could (possibly) suggest changes next Fall and bring them into effect next March (like they did Fall and this March).

And then there will be a whole slew of new threads from a lot of people complaining about how they had legitimate reasons for transferring the required funds into their Thai bank and then (very soon afterwards) sending it all "back home" again. Every month.
Just like happens every other time Immigration cracks down on a method "some" people use to get around the rules.
(Not everyone of course but if you think no one is trying to scam the system one way or another, you really need to open your eyes as it happens - a lot. There are a lot of foreigners living in Thailand because they can't-afford-to-live in their home countries and can barely afford to live in Thailand.)

You seem to be sitting on the green branch financially. Good for You. But back to my situation. I have come to Thailand for 10 Years. I am single. The last 8 Years for 6 month here and 6 month in Denmark. For my 1 year extension I used the Income letter from my Danish Embassy (I send them my total yearly income from the Government institution) When I have paid my tax insurance and rent for my condo in Denmark I have left 70500 Baht which I spend in Thailand every month for 6 month. (Rent, food and joy a.o. ). Now IO want me to transfer 65 000 Baht every month to my Thaibank. Leave me with 5.500 baht to live for in Denmark a month. Impossible. My question is not how to scam, but if I am allowed to withdraw from my Thaibank every month for my daily life in Denmark, when in Denmark. So You mean that is scamming ? I don't know, that's why I ask ! What will You do in my situation ??

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nielsk said:

But back to my situation. I have come to Thailand for 10 Years. I am single. The last 8 Years for 6 month here and 6 month in Denmark. For my 1 year extension I used the Income letter from my Danish Embassy (I send them my total yearly income from the Government institution) When I have paid my tax insurance and rent for my condo in Denmark I have left 70500 Baht which I spend in Thailand every month for 6 month. (Rent, food and joy a.o. ). Now IO want me to transfer 65 000 Baht every month to my Thaibank. Leave me with 5.500 baht to live for in Denmark a month. Impossible. My question is not how to scam, but if I am allowed to withdraw from my Thaibank every month for my daily life in Denmark, when in Denmark. So You mean that is scamming ? I don't know, that's why I ask ! What will You do in my situation ??

Tough situation for you and others like you who don't live here full-time but are on yearly extensions. You don't have much of a choice but to xfer the money into Thailand and then xfer it back out again either monthly or lump-sum after it builds up a little. And, no, that is not scamming. And, yes, you are allowed to withdraw your 65k+ immediately after being deposited and you can do whatever you want to do with it. Good luck...

Edited by BertM
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Nielsk said:

You seem to be sitting on the green branch financially. Good for You. But back to my situation. I have come to Thailand for 10 Years. I am single. The last 8 Years for 6 month here and 6 month in Denmark. For my 1 year extension I used the Income letter from my Danish Embassy (I send them my total yearly income from the Government institution) When I have paid my tax insurance and rent for my condo in Denmark I have left 70500 Baht which I spend in Thailand every month for 6 month. (Rent, food and joy a.o. ). Now IO want me to transfer 65 000 Baht every month to my Thaibank. Leave me with 5.500 baht to live for in Denmark a month. Impossible.

I think you can still get proof of your pension income verified by the Danish embassy. Not the same as the letter they stopped doing.

See: http://thailand.um.dk/da/rejse-og-ophold/borgerservice/attester/

You could also apply for OA long stay visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

See: http://thaiembassy.dk/non-immigrant-visa/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you can still get proof of your pension income verified by the Danish embassy. Not the same as the letter they stopped doing.

See: http://thailand.um.dk/da/rejse-og-ophold/borgerservice/attester/

You could also apply for OA long stay visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

See: http://thaiembassy.dk/non-immigrant-visa/

If I understand You correctly Ubonjoe I can start allover again applying  for new Non Immigrant O retirement visa for 1 year and don't have to prove I had transferred  65 000 baht for the last 12 month ?  Of course I will go personally to the Thai embassy in Copenhagen and make sure. Your first option will leave me in trouble if Immigration Jomtien don't accept it.  I know I can go and ask, but will not feel sure if I will get a genuine answer if they don't rally understand my explanation. Thanks anyway for always beeing so polite and helpful  ????

8 minutes ago, Nielsk said:
3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If I understand You correctly Ubonjoe I can start allover again applying  for new Non Immigrant O retirement visa for 1 year and don't have to prove I had transferred  65 000 baht for the last 12 month ?  Of course I will go personally to the Thai embassy in Copenhagen and make sure. Your first option will leave me in trouble if Immigration Jomtien don't accept it.  I know I can go and ask, but will not feel sure if I will get a genuine answer if they don't rally understand my explanation. Thanks anyway for always beeing so polite and helpful  ????

Nielsk, I have Danish friends – similar you, living about half of the year, i.e. summer period, in Denmark, and the other about half year, i.e. utterly nasty Danish weather period,  in Thailand – using that option. It works well, but require slightly more (or different) paperwork than applying for extensions of stay in Thailand. However its a good option, as you don't need proof of funds in Thailand, and by continuing as Danish resident, they can obtain full governmental retirement pension (Danish: "Folkepensionstillæg") instead of being cut to the minimum rate...????

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nielsk said:

Many people that go back home every year are using a non-oa visa and others are starting to do it due to the recent changes.

I suggest you contact the Danish embassy to find out if they are aware of anybody having a problem using the "Attester" to prove their income. Perhaps they could send you a copy of one to show immigration.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

Nielsk, I have Danish friends – similar you, living about half of the year, i.e. summer period, in Denmark, and the other about half year, i.e. utterly nasty Danish weather period,  in Thailand – using that option. It works well, but require slightly more (or different) paperwork than applying for extensions of stay in Thailand. However its a good option, as you don't need proof of funds in Thailand, and by continuing as Danish resident, they can obtain full governmental retirement pension (Danish: "Folkepensionstillæg") instead of being cut to the minimum rate...????

Thank You khumpPer.  I think that are the option I will go for !

• Like 1