Better choice? Ford wildtrack 2.2 vs Mitsu triton 2017-2018

BestB

Need some opinions please.

Looking to get new , but used truck for taking my dogs out. 2017-2018 model.

i have narrowed it down to Ford ranger wild track and/or Mitsubishi Triton 

both 4 door, both auto .

from what I gathered mitsu comes with more features for roughly same price , but ford is a smoother ride.

all people who own ford that I know , all love it, but all bought one brand new and all

under 3 years old .

many others mention ford after 3-5 years has many problems .

so very confused. Please express some opinions 

price wise, ford 2017 around 700000

mitsu 2018 around the same price . 

Have condsidered XLT model but it lacks reverse camera and few other bits as wildtrack but considerably cheaper 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a 2 door MT wildtrack in about 2012.

Never rated it, very heavy - crap brakes.

I only needed a pick up for a couple years while building / moving etc.

Sold it as soon as I could for about 1/2 price 2 years old with about 40k kms on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

58 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I bought a 2 door MT wildtrack in about 2012.

Never rated it, very heavy - crap brakes.

I only needed a pick up for a couple years while building / moving etc.

Sold it as soon as I could for about 1/2 price 2 years old with about 40k kms on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So in other words you would not recommend it?????

from some light reading , ranger has improved drastically in the past 2-3 years , some claim it’s now 3rd most popular truck 

So in other words you would not recommend it?[emoji1]

from some light reading , ranger has improved drastically in the past 2-3 years , some claim it’s now 3rd most popular truck 

I can’t comment on the latest model.

Very big vehicle for city driving / parking as well.

I bought an old NV for walking the mutts, much lower and easier to get them in and out of, also much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

I can’t comment on the latest model.

Very big vehicle for city driving / parking as well.

I bought an old NV for walking the mutts, much lower and easier to get them in and out of, also much cheaper.

Initially it was my thought as well to get an old car and NV was the choice , but it still goes for 100000 baht and it’s a 20 year old car, also I have 9 and   6 of them weighing close to 45 kg, 

Had a Wildtrak for just 2 years now; great vehicle, comfortable, & yesterday had to use the brakes hard, as someone pulled out in front of me. Stopped quickly with no drama.

(quite unusual here :laugh:)

Mitzi, mate's got one, very uncomfortable on Issan back roads, & I don't think it has any 'presence'.

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Had a Wildtrak for just 2 years now; great vehicle, comfortable, & yesterday had to use the brakes hard, as someone pulled out in front of me. Stopped quickly with no drama.

(quite unusual here :laugh:)

Mitzi, mate's got one, very uncomfortable on Issan back roads, & I don't think it has any 'presence'.

I hardly ever drive, this is only for dog walking, mitsu does appear less impressive but what attracting me is for the same price as ford get more features, even little things like push start, blind spot ,

13 hours ago, BestB said:

all people who own ford that I know , all love it, but all bought one brand new and all

under 3 years old .

many others mention ford after 3-5 years has many problems .

I think you want a Ford. ????

Who are the others, people who don't have a Ford.?

Mitsubishi Triton may have troubles too.

They have there differences and if it were me I would drive both to see which one I liked, not ask here. 

22 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They have there differences and if it were me I would drive both to see which one I liked, not ask here. 

AFAIK the Triton has a pretty good track record, can Ford say the same? Owned my Triton for over 4 years without one fault of any kind.

Initially it was my thought as well to get an old car and NV was the choice , but it still goes for 100000 baht and it’s a 20 year old car, also I have 9 and   6 of them weighing close to 45 kg, 

The wild track is pretty high to be getting 45kg dogs in and out of unless they’re agile enough to jump.

Mine were not ( about the same weight ) I had concrete steps made to the height of the tail gate for them get in and out.

I believe the ranger comes in a ‘ low rider ‘ style?

Not to hijack the thread but I am curious to hear people's opinion on the Navara. From reviews seems to be quiet comfortable to drive (more car like) due to its very different suspension set up, but just no good under a heavy load (apparently have fixed that a bit).

If only taking 350 odd kgs (guessing as I don't know weight of all your dogs), then shouldn't be heavy enough to bring up the problems the Navara was criticised for. In theory a comfortable ride on crappy roads? Probably a lower price as well. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You are right I like ford. Others for example is my driver, when I asked him he said his friend has one and always fixing something . 

I owned 2 mitsu’s before and never any issues, I have never owned ford before

36 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

The wild track is pretty high to be getting 45kg dogs in and out of unless they’re agile enough to jump.

Mine were not ( about the same weight ) I had concrete steps made to the height of the tail gate for them get in and out.

I believe the ranger comes in a ‘ low rider ‘ style?

Yeah it does I just prefer the hi rider due to rains. I will be getting a ramp for them to get in and out 

14 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Not to hijack the thread but I am curious to hear people's opinion on the Navara. From reviews seems to be quiet comfortable to drive (more car like) due to its very different suspension set up, but just no good under a heavy load (apparently have fixed that a bit).

If only taking 350 odd kgs (guessing as I don't know weight of all your dogs), then shouldn't be heavy enough to bring up the problems the Navara was criticised for. In theory a comfortable ride on crappy roads? Probably a lower price as well. 

Have also looked at that and specs are great and cheaper than ford and mitsu. From my research though really bad at holding value and hard to sell.

1 minute ago, transam said:

Much like Ford....????

Thoughts on Navara? Lets be honest, not many expats are going to be working them very hard. Other than resale value are they a solid truck? Know if have servicing issues that Ford seem to have sometimes that come up on this forum? 

7 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Depends what you want a truck for IMO and your personal preference is.

Whatever truck TV members buy it will be the best. ????

I have a pal who has a 4D Navara after driving every truck available at the time it's the best of all he says.

I drove all trucks as well at a time and chose the 4D Vigo.

Our truck now is a Isuzu smartcab but it's for work.

Got people our villages with all makes trucks for work or to use as a car, they all like their model truck.

I always say drive em and chose what you like. 

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Much like Ford....????

That’s what I thought until started looking. Rangers actually hold value pretty well, on par with Isuzu and Toyota.

from other countries reviews also highly recommend ford.

this is why I am so confused ????

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends what you want a truck for IMO and your personal preference is.

Whatever truck TV members buy it will be the best. ????

I have a pal who has a 4D Navara after driving every truck available at the time it's the best of all he says.

I drove all trucks as well at a time and chose the 4D Vigo.

Our truck now is a Isuzu smartcab but it's for work.

Got people our villages with all makes trucks for work or to use as a car, they all like their model truck.

I always say drive em and chose what you like. 

Totally agree with test driving , in my case the ones I found are on the opposite sides of Bangkok , was hoping to avoid having to travel to both locations and waste entire day. But looks like I may have too????

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Thoughts on Navara? Lets be honest, not many expats are going to be working them very hard. Other than resale value are they a solid truck? Know if have servicing issues that Ford seem to have sometimes that come up on this forum? 

I personally have not come across complains about service but reviews and ratings are fairly low and as said resale value is a big problem . Can get 2018 model for under 600000, auto top specs 

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Mitsu and Nissan mechanically are near bullet proof....Toyota in my opinion are near bullet proof plus...Electronics....

11 minutes ago, BestB said:

You are right I like ford. Others for example is my driver, when I asked him he said his friend has one and always fixing something . 

I owned 2 mitsu’s before and never any issues, I have never owned ford before

My personal opinion is it depends on Kilos covered by trucks and there treatment and use.

I know people here who have Fords present and up to 15 years old with no issues. 

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My personal opinion is it depends on Kilos covered by trucks and there treatment and use.

I know people here who have Fords present and up to 15 years old with no issues. 

Different Ford tech 15 years back..Very little to go wrong....????

17 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Prices and servicing seem to be where you live in my observations. 

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Different Ford tech 15 years back..Very little to go wrong....????

I always defend Ford had 1955 consul Mk1 and later a Mk2 and Zodiac 6 pot.

They made me a mechanical and bodywork repair expert.

In fairness a lot of new Fords trucks in our village and the dealership is good here by all accounts.

Our Thai neighbour has spent dosh on all sorts, different wheels and off road stuff not the 2.2L it's a 3.2L.

See they have gone Isuzu way with a 2.0L diesel now.

Archived