Extension of Stay - Marriage: Report Udon Thani immigration Office 25 April 2019

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The file is from June of 2018.

Korat immigration moved to where they were located before in July or so last year.

I recall Roi Et IO opening in 2016, but my first extension application was submitted there mid 2017.

The 2016 extension being applied for at Amnat because Roi Et wasn't fully functional at that time.

I was informed of the move of the regional office from Korat to KK was underway, (2017 application) but would take several months to complete. (Hence the file is probably from 2018).

My extension application in 2017, wasn't sent to Korat, but was approved at Roi Et by a visiting senior IO.

This I understand was a temporary position, to decrease the workload on Korat during the move.

From memory they started sending extensions requiring approval to KK from Nov 2017. 

My 2018 application was certainly approved by KK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, SEtonal said:

This man was told by Chachoengsao Immigration Office that he must keep 400k in the bank three months after receiving a marriage extension.

On 5/8/2019 at 7:23 AM, Dmitry2222 said:

I am on underconsideration period now in Chachoengsao. IO notified me while submitting documents that conditions are same as previours years. Let's see what happens when i get 1 year stamp.

I got 1 year stamp, and officer said me that i can withdraw money right now.

• Like 2

When I retired several years ago I easily changed my Non-immigrant B visa to a visa based on my marriage to a Thai and the legal adoption of my wife's children.  I extended that visa for several years based on my monthly income supported by my US bank statements and a letter from the US Consulate.  Last year my extension was denied because Immigration said my US bank account was not solely mine (I have a sister's name on it so that she can take care of things for me since I have not been back to the US for more than a dozen years).  In January of this year, I went to the Thai Consulate in Suwannakhet and used my marriage and adoption documents to obtain a Multiple-entry Non O visa.  I have now had money transferred to a Thai bank account in my name only and have topped it up to the required 400,000 baht.  I am waiting for it to age for the two-month period which will be mid-July.  Does anyone know if I can then apply for a one-year extension based on my marriage as before using my Non-O?

2 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Does anyone know if I can then apply for a one-year extension based on my marriage as before using my Non-O?

You can apply for the extension without a problem.

You can do it during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your non-o visa if the 400k baht has been in a Thai bank for 2 months on the date you apply.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update from earlier today. June 18th

Udon immigration  does not have a supply of updated leaflets for either a marrage or retirement extension, though I did see them folding a leaflet I couldn't see what it referred to, they did suggest that they were waiting to get the updated data.

The sum total of required deposit proof in my case was a minimum of 2 month deposit on the day of application with an updated bank book, bank letter, and statement. I was required to present the same proof on May 29th just over a month  after my application and before the extension was granted. 

When collecting my extension today I was not asked to prove money in the bank in 90 days, although SWMBO was told that that would be required during my initial application.

I was prepared with print outs of all the police orders I would have politely but instantly requested a written requirement,  but in the end didn't need them or a confrontation with the powers that be.

on May 29th I only gave a single set of documents so have a strong belief that they just went into the local file, possibly the small round filing cabinet ????

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

{snipped}

When collecting my extension today I was not asked to prove money in the bank in 90 days, although SWMBO was told that that would be required during my initial application.

I was prepared with print outs of all the police orders I would have politely but instantly requested a written requirement,  but in the end didn't need them or a confrontation with the powers that be.

When I went with my wife to Udon to apply for my marriage extension, the male IO told us to report three weeks later (a week or so before my extension is due) and to show my updated bank book to prove the 400K Baht is still in the bank. He told my wife I could withdraw some of the money after that.

Today we did ask requested.

A female IO checked my bank book and sent a minion off to photocopy it. When I was given the bank book back, my wife asked the IO if it was now OK to use some of the cash. The IO said the 400K Baht needed to stay in the account for three months after the extension. (The same as sometimewoodworker was told)

The female IO went off somewhere else to do something.
After she had gone, my wife spoke to the male IO who processed my application three weeks earlier. She asked him if I could now withdraw some of the cash. Today, his different story was to wait until the extension was approved first.

To sum up:

One IO said possible to withdraw cash after checking balance (before extension approved). Three weeks later same guy said to wait until approval.

Another IO said need to wait for three months after extension approval to withdraw cash.

Just to prove it doesn't need a different office to vary the same regulation, just the same office with a different IO, or even the same IO on a different day.

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Today we did ask requested.

A female IO checked my bank book and sent a minion off to photocopy it. When I was given the bank book back, my wife asked the IO if it was now OK to use some of the cash. The IO said the 400K Baht needed to stay in the account for three months after the extension. (The same as sometimewoodworker was told)

My guess is that the female IO you went to was the slightly overweight youngish one sitting at desk 3.

When the extension is approved, DO NOT ASK if you need to keep the money in the bank. If it is a requirement (it isn't) they MUST tell you (they won't) 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Went to do my marriage extension at Udon, saw the lady on desk 3.

Yup, gotta go back in 4 weeks I think, with another updated bank book. It's not a hardship, just a waste of time. Fortunately, we don't live too far from there, but for others who live in NBL etc, it must be pain in the neck.

Oh yes, had to provide 'clearer pictures'. Last year's were ok, but this year not.

All they have to do, to make it more efficient for everyone, is to put these new 'requirements' on the Udon Immigration Website.

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

My guess is that the female IO you went to was the slightly overweight youngish one sitting at desk 3.

When the extension is approved, DO NOT ASK if you need to keep the money in the bank. If it is a requirement (it isn't) they MUST tell you (they won't)

I agree with that, especially about it not being a regulation anyway.

(edit: Yes it is the female IO you mention above. In the past I've always thought she came across as straight and very honest.)

My wife asked, as we wanted to use some of the cash to part-fund a house she's building to sell.

Being cynical, it did occur to me that perhaps this misinformation is being given in the hope some people might turn to an 'agent', who will provide this service without the need to have cash tied up in a bank account. I understand an IO involved in this stands to make a good commission doing it this way.

Faraday: Your comment "All they have to do, to make it more efficient for everyone, is to put these new 'requirements' on the Udon Immigration Website."

Yes, and as we're all aware, this is a requirement for retirement extensions, not marriage extensions.

Edited by bluesofa
addendum
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Udon immigration  does not have a supply of updated leaflets for either a marrage or retirement extension, though I did see them folding a leaflet I couldn't see what it referred to, they did suggest that they were waiting to get the updated data.

The sum total of required deposit proof in my case was a minimum of 2 month deposit on the day of application with an updated bank book, bank letter, and statement. I was required to present the same proof on May 29th just over a month  after my application and before the extension was granted. 

on May 29th I only gave a single set of documents so have a strong belief that they just went into the local file, possibly the small round filing cabinet ????

As it's now just about 90 days since your extension, I just wondered if anything has happened regarding that spurious request to show the money in your account?

Assuming you did your 90 day report at the same time, was anything said when you did the next one - if you have done it yet, I'd think it's imminently due?

34 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

As it's now just about 90 days since your extension, I just wondered if anything has happened regarding that spurious request to show the money in your account?

Assuming you did your 90 day report at the same time, was anything said when you did the next one - if you have done it yet, I'd think it's imminently due?

Post #66 

Nothing said on 90 day report other than new 90 day report date.

• 4 weeks later...

I did my annual marriage extension today at Udon Immigration. Everything same as past years. I was extended for 1 additional month and told to comeback then to get my one year stamp. There was no mention of bringing back my bank book or anything like that.