Car Insurance

LoS itaint

In a couple of weeks I will need to purchase car insurance for the first time. I have had a broker contact me but by the time I managed to end the call I was bamboozled with different levels of cover. I would welcome constructive advice any member could offer please. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If your car is new, or nearly new, or not very old, or if you value your sanity, then you should go for "1st class" insurance. It wont cost a lot more than cheaper packages and should mean that in case of accidents the insurance agent will deal with everything for you, including any discussions with the police.

Apart from that you will find that the level of cover is very similar from one company to another. Options like named drivers only, or sole driver, or only leisure use, or having secure parking, or a dashcam, or using third-party repair shops instead of main dealers, or taking a higher excess may all result in a lower premium. I got discounts for most of those, plus full 50% no-claims bonus, so I pay very little. Prices will vary though, so shop around.

Some companies also include roadside breakdown assistance.

With all of them you will also have to buy the official government insurance which is very minimal.

Personally I tend to favour big brand names like AXA but www.roojai.com may also be worth looking at. Tesco do car insurance as well.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 7:44 AM, Henryford said:

I use AXA, under 10,000 for 1st class and handy to have the breakdown assistance as well.

it's pretty cheap for the 1st class. Did it via a broker? Calculated on their website for yaris'14 – around 19,000

On 4/28/2019 at 1:44 AM, Henryford said:

I use AXA, under 10,000 for 1st class and handy to have the breakdown assistance as well.

7 hours ago, alex343 said:

it's pretty cheap for the 1st class. Did it via a broker? Calculated on their website for yaris'14 – around 19,000

All depends upon the level of insurance coverage required..type/age of car etc.etc. so many variables...as I and many others have mentioned what is the quote from Roojai looking like compared with the others?

When I took out a policy with Roojai earlier this year I went along to their offices in Laem Chaebeng (short trip from nearby Pattaya) as I wanted to see what type of operation they ran and ask a few questions from an english speaking advisor...very impressed took the policy out there and then....as with ALL insurance companies you never know how good or not until U make a claim :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, petermik said:

as with ALL insurance companies you never know how good or not until U make a claim

Indeed. I'm still waiting for someone to report the results of any claim with Roojai.

On 4/28/2019 at 7:44 AM, Henryford said:

Yes, I pay the same with them for my pickup. 1st class. Never used the breakdown assistance so cant really comment on it. Never claimed either for that matter.

Two main types of insurance: 

Por-Ror-Bor - which is the compulsory insurance which you must have for your vehicle to be road taxed (it costs about 600-700 baht I think). 

Private Insurance - level of cover varies. The best option for you depends on your car. 

Personally: Depending on the car I've had my premiums have been up to 65,000 baht for cover of a car valued at 5MB down to recent cover of 26,000 baht for a car valued at 1.6MB.

All cover its 1st Class - Any Driver with 200,000 baht bail bond. 

Shop around - some are better than others, but most are pretty much the same, the bigger more common names are probably better.  

I've found the brokers to be quite helpful. 

• Like 1