Do you hate your father

Once you recognise that your father is also a person, then perhaps you might grow more.

None of us are perfect, we have to do the best we can, or else we become lost in the 'blame culture'.

"There is one lovely & grumpy person on here, who I admire. He has been through perhaps the most trying times in his life. He still manages to keep going & make (most of us) laugh.

• Like 1

There comes a time when you are the same age as your father - if you know what I mean!

Your genes are what nature gave both you and him- he hardly chose them for you!

Yes, it's a pain being poor, especially as the world economy is shot to pieces.  It'll cause you endless trouble, and people will blame you for it. 

31 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I think family are a huge trigger to alcoholics relapsing.

Family is the worst.

However, it is the alcoholic who picks up the drink.

Not their family.

Or, blame everyone else, attribute your problems to them & never get clean/sober

Up to you.

• Like 2

Never met my real father, my mother met someone else when I was about 4. She was still living with her mother and father (my grandparents), they bought a house together and left me at my grandparents for them to raise me. They had a son a few years later, my half brother, they would take him on holidays with them and leave me at home, my grandfather told me when I was about 10 that my step father didn't like me, never had a hug off my mother. When they both died I never shed a tear.

• Sad 2

I don't hate him but long time ago a psychologist confirmed that I do certain things because my father wouldn't like it.

Now I didn't see him for 20 years and I still do certain things he wouldn't like - probably deep down still for the same reason...

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Times have changed, working and saving in the west really doesn't work any more.

You just end up on a treadmill trying to keep your head above water and accomplishing nothing.

I'm all for jumping ship as young as you can get the air fare and trying out something different in the 3rd world.

Very difficult for the old uns to understand this, but it is the way it is imo for millions of people who formerly had options but don't now.  Times have indeed changed.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, faraday said:

Rather than posting this directly, I have only put up a link, as it's a bit sweary.

The second stanza describes the "Chain of Torture"

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/48419/this-be-the-verse

Also, try googling 'Sins of the father' - it might help you.

Thanks alot.

The poem is correct, What dies it mean "get out while you can"?

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Very difficult for the old uns to understand this, but it is the way it is imo for millions of people who formerly had options but don't now.  Times have indeed changed.

I can't directly comment about this.

But recently I spoke to a guy who used to live in Thailand and is now in the UK and he has a job over there.

He did a lot with migrants in his life, i.e. in PNG.

He told me that lots of businesses do hire now a lot of migrants and one reason is that they still want to work the whole day for a basic salary. It seems the experience of lot of business owners is that the have bad experience with the locals (UK in the UK) because many of them don't want to work hard and dedicated for not so much money.

I don't know how much this is the case but as far as I remember there are lot of those immigrants all over the world who work very hard to improve their life - often harder than anybody else.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I tried to look at this from your Dad's perspective. I know if I had adult kids and they asked me for money I'd probably hate them. Seriously, as an adult (I am assuming you are, but could be wrong) it's seriously uncool to ask your parents for money. They did their job already, don't use them as a crutch when you should be a big boy and stand on your own two feet.

The boomers all got rich at the millenials expense , How? A house was 10% of the cost compared to the 1980s and wages havent gone up since the GFC.

with all that time is such a good world economy climate  they should has struck gold and passed on the success.

Instead they did the opposite and left us with a huge mess.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, CNX GUY said:

this is a very good topic to have raised, I think it is a fascinating question. fathers are fascinating because, to a pretty great extent, they make the world what it is.

and that is why I hate my father.

was he a bad man? certainly not! did he abuse me, no!

however, with a combination of shall we say a high score on the narcissist scale, and a very low score on the accomplishment scale, he represents everything that is wrong with the world and makes it a pretty terrible place.

there's nothing wrong with being a nothing, but there is something very wrong with being a nothing while insisting you are a something.

that's why we humans never make any progress and that's why I "hate" my father.

The way that you have it figured, are you a better man than your father?  It sounds like he was a man if his time and circumstances and you are a man of yours.

• Like 2