Do you hate your father

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd like to reverse the POV.

I spent 22 years providing for my 4 children, then when their mother decided to start banging someone else and divorced me, got the house, 100% custody and started saying I had constantly abused them all, they just kept quiet about her lies. When I asked one of them why they kept quiet, they just said she's our mom and we love her. Guess it was my fault, I was at work all the time so their mom could look after them 24/7. All I was to them all was a family wallet.

No love for me then, I left for Thailand and haven't really seen them since (10 years now).

I don't hate them, I just have no interest in interacting with people that betrayed me.

Didn't make that mistake a second time, I'm always around my new Thai son, and he clearly prefers my company to anyone else.

That sounds bad.

I think one big problem for family members, and sometimes friends, is a problem where they are supposed to takes sides. In this case if they agree with you very likely their mother will be very upset - and the other way around.

And as long as the mother has the legal right to care for them it's not difficult to understand that they don't speak up against her.

And then, of course, it's so much easier to be quiet and stay out of any problems, even if this is unfair for at least one of the people they love.

Did your kids do something wrong? Likely yes.

Did they have an option to do everything right: Likely no.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I didn't like my own father, a bulky who my mum was to afraid of to ask for a divorce, so I left home for university and never went back. He always said I would end up with nothing, a dustbin man at best. I looked after myself and saved money. He died before he saw my sportscar and house. I don't understand anyone who continues to blame their father for their own inability to make life work.

Thats pure motivation, He did it for a reason.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I didn't like my own father, a bulky who my mum was to afraid of to ask for a divorce, so I left home for university and never went back. He always said I would end up with nothing, a dustbin man at best. I looked after myself and saved money. He died before he saw my sportscar and house. I don't understand anyone who continues to blame their father for their own inability to make life work.

My hobby psychology instinct tells me that a big part of your success is/was that you worked hard to show your father you can do it. I am sure you enjoy your car and your house. But it seems you would enjoy it a lot more if you could have shown it to your father and told him something like: See, you were wrong. I did it!

So it seems you did what you did primarily because of your father...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Thats pure motivation, He did it for a reason.

No mate. I've been there. I was maybe a reason he gave for his behaviour. In reality, he was a piece of scum who should never have been allowed to father children.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No mate. I've been there. I was maybe a reason he gave for his behaviour. In reality, he was a piece of scum who should never have been allowed to father children.

Yes i myself will never have kids for the reason i know myself i am never supposed to have kids.

Edited by Pattayabeerbacon

7 minutes ago, faraday said:

Poor you.

Ok, now we can determine your approximate age....

Do you, for one moment think that us older members have had an easy life, without for example losing our marital home to a greedy entitled ex-wife?

Or perhaps overcoming alcoholism, redundancy; any of the significant life changing events?

Being made redundant would be an achievement for me no kidding.

• Haha 2

My father got in cohoots with my now ex-wife and paid her under the table to help fund her divorce attorney.  He was/is a half dimwit from smoking all his life causing a series of strokes plus a triple bypass (starving his brain of oxygen) but I can't forgive him as he's the reason I haven't been able to see my children for 10 years.  In his addled state he bought every lie she floated no questions asked.  Charged falsely with domestic violence (found not guilty as I was out of town at the time) and he shows up in court to testify against me just because.  He always told me growing up that he'd wish he'd had a daughter instead of a son so now this was his chance to trade me in. 

Boomer parents are the worst generation to ever curse this Earth.  You can't choose your parents unfortunately but when that monster finally closes his eyes for the last time and wakes up in hell I will drink a toast to his demise.  So yes is the answer to your question at least for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You make your own choices....  yet you are continuing to choose to blame your parents for an inequality outside of their control, should your son blame you for the same things? (rhetorical question). 

On a personal level - if my child grows up with half the respect I have for my father, then I considered I have done a good job as a parent. The trouble is trying to find the right balance between healthy discipline and being overbearing... 

I had no respect for my father at all, he tried to lay down the law, must not go in to cafes, must not play football on Sundays, must not go to the cinema, this was when I was about twelve years old, (he thought he was a christian) I disobeyed all these rules all the time, and was never found out, when I was in my mid teens and out grew him, I let him know that I never respected his laws, because I knew he would not dare put a finger on me as he knew he would never win. lets be honest here, would anyone respect a father like that?

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Just spoke to my father.

He handed me alcoholic / Gambling genes and long with 0 support.

When live hands you lemons, make lemonade.  You can make excuse and whinge until the cows come home and it will not change a thing.  So - get over it and get on with your life.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

OP got my respect for having the gonads to post this here.

Takes nothing to come onto an anonymous forum and slate your father for your choices in life . 

The OP should reflect on his words and wake up and smell the coffee . 

We all make choices in life   some better than others , but they are all still choices . 

His father is right .. get a job and pay his way in life . Its something that the rest of us do daily and never question or blame other people ....especially our  parents . 

Ps. Pattaya to dry out ? ???? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Lot of people complain about their fathers - including me.

But I am sure lots of these fathers tried to do their best, or what they thought is the best for us.

I.e. my father would have liked if I work in the bureaucracy in a steady job where you can calculate your pension already when you just started work.

In his opinion that was a good choice and what he would have considered the best for me.

I didn't think it was the best choice for me...

And then many of us decide to do it different than our parents. We do the opposite, and sometimes the radical opposite. And we think that's the best. Until we ask our kids what they think about our behavior...

I have no kids and that is one reason why. There are just too many things which can go wrong including what we think is doing our best.