Your neighbors

bapoboy

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Chances of your neighbours chatting in central Thai is close to zero.

Learned that quickly when I moved here. Would always have lunch on the patio shared with my wife and a couple of female neighbours. The conversation was solely in Lao/Issan. Decided to learn it. I have managed to pick up both languages but, even though I have always lived in Pattaya, my Lao has always been better than my Thai.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sharing food is commonplace in Thailand, everyone does it, including my gf.

You grow or cook more than you can use, share it out amongst the neighbours.

I seem to have the only bicycle tire pump in the road, everyone helps themselves to it.

It all evens out in the long run.

I know son.  I was just having a dig at your post on the other thread. But what I will mention that after many decades here it would seem to me that the instances of sharing fruit or other surplus produce between neighbors has declined markedly. I assume that this is are result of increasing levels of debt.

Edited by Khaeng Mak

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Learned that quickly when I moved here. Would always have lunch on the patio shared with my wife and a couple of female neighbours. The conversation was solely in Lao/Issan. Decided to learn it. I have managed to pick up both languages but, even though I have always lived in Pattaya, my Lao has always been better than my Thai.

Replacing any "c" sounds with an "S" sound is a quick workaround.

1 minute ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Replacing any "c" sounds with an "S" sound is a quick workaround.

Can be a problem. When speaking to Thais I often slip up and use Lao pronunciation for Thai words as my wife and I generally converse in Lao. Get some funny looks at times

• Like 1

"Great question"...(I hear this a lot on the TV lately).

I remember many years ago seeing a man pee in the bushes on his way home from the pub one night.

Doubt I will see anything as bad again?

I think it is relatively uncommon, in the cities, to find friendly neighbors. I say hello to a few of them, but they are not what I describe as friendly. The friendliest neighbors I have had, have all been foreigners. 

All I can say is that I'm glad when we built our house we made space for a back garden because the neighbours behind are awfully noisy and rude. The mother sounds like a cackling witch. The first day we saw them they gave the nasty foreign hating look as I smiled at them. They get drunk every night. During the day it's hia this and isat that. We and our other nice neighbours sometimes call the police about them but it never gets better. Oh, and the kid got done for drink driving recently. The dad told him to drive a different direction next time. I would'nt have expected anything different...

On 4/29/2019 at 11:26 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I have a couple of right numpty neighbours, both westerners, unfortunately I can't say too much as they may be members on here and I don't really want to identify myself by describing their stupidity suffice to say that they are both idiots who have no respect for other people, they are noisy, inconsiderate and most of the time just plain ' major pain in the backside'.

I tolerate them because they are old and hopefully will die soon. :drunk:  

yep. most of the problems I have here are with idiot, ignorant, loud mouthed westerners. Thought I had left them behind in the UK; apparently not. Fortunately, not many live out here where I live.  Next door neighbour is an older lady.  Only problem with her is 3 yappy bloody Pomeranians.   Hate those damn dogs.   

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2019 at 10:13 AM, Spidey said:

I had a neighbour next door who was a relatively young alcoholic. When his wife went to work, he would open his car doors, put the stereo on full blast, sit next to the car, drink his beer and fall asleep. The blaring music sometimes went on for hours. My wife had a word with his wife, to no avail so the next time that it happened I pointed my hosepipe over the party wall, filled his car with water and drenched him until he woke up. He didn't say a word, switched his car stereo off and went inside. There were no repeats of the incident. 

You are lucky you never had a visit from his pals. that's if he has any.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You are lucky you never had a visit from his pals. that's if he has any.

His best pal was the guy that lived the other side of him and had a small maintenance engineering company. He gave the guy his work. His neighbour was the first person that I befriended when I moved there and we used to sit in the street most nights, after work, sharing a couple of Leos. He thought that the incident was hilarious and gave the guy the old som nam na.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

In my GF's village, we are nearly surrounded by her family. They understand I'm a farang that doesn't bother anyone and would like the same in kind. The scooter gets borrowed a few times as they know I will refill the tank.

I suppose the neighbour next door blasting away with a shotgun during thunderstorms to frighten away the evil spirits could be a tad unsettling. Against that, he trades his bananas with my GF for her mangoes, jackfruit and vegetables.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2019 at 11:26 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I tolerate them because they are old and hopefully will die soon.

Nothing you can do to hasten their demise?  Shock is good for seeing off the aged.

• Haha 2

On 4/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, bapoboy said:

I barked loudly to my dogs and told them to come inside haha! a big problem is if your neighbors or someone in your neighborhood doesn’t like you or your dogs, they will poison your dogs, this happen regularly. What it’s strange about this neighborhood is that my neighbors on the opposite site actually talked to me the first day I moved in 3 months ago and always give me a smile and talk to me,but the neighbors on the the the right that poured the beer on them have always had the angry face even when I have given them a smile and said hello.

Most Thais are nice and good people, but then you have the drunken somchai that always get upset easily.

you should have invited all your neighbors for a house warming party. No troubles later.

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In my GF's village, we are nearly surrounded by her family. They understand I'm a farang that doesn't bother anyone and would like the same in kind. The scooter gets borrowed a few times as they know I will refill the tank.

I suppose the neighbour next door blasting away with a shotgun during thunderstorms to frighten away the evil spirits could be a tad unsettling. Against that, he trades his bananas with my GF for her mangoes, jackfruit and vegetables.

That sure is some euphemism  ???????????? 

• Haha 1

There is a German couple that everyone in the Moo Baan has had a problem with at one time or another.

I ended up punching him out in his driveway about 4 yrs ago, not smart, almost got my Visa revoked after the lies him and his wife told at the police station.

Fortunately we have family in the Police and Immigration in Bangkok and it was resolved.

They both suffer an ACUTE case of Obsessive Compulsive Complaining Disorder.

They complained for over 2 yrs the streetlights are too bright and even requested a street light on an adjacent Soi over 100 meters from their house is blinding them and they want it removed.

It is not even a proper streetlight, it is a fluorescent tube.......lol and it BLINDS them 100 meters away.

They are certified NUTS.

He shoots neighborhood dogs and cats with a slingshot and throws fireworks at them.

I saw him viciously beat his own dog, kick it hard, pick it up and throw it across the Soi.

I put up CCTV cameras in front of my house.......LOLOLOLOL  that really set them OFF.

They came to me........I didn’t mince my words when I told them what they can do.

Next they went to the police station.

Police asked me to come by........I brought 5 video captures off the CCTV and showed the police WHY I installed cameras plus I brought the determination from Siam Legal that there is nothing illegal about my camera placement.

I sent videos to Siam Legal showing why the cams are there and also what the field of view of each cam shows and provided a legal ruling in writing.

Such scumbags...........they complain about EVERYTHING.

They called Immigration twice on the Brit guy building 2 houses here and reported his workers don’t have Work Permits.......joke is on them AGAIN, they did have proper Work Permits.

It seems like no matter what country or where you live there seems to always be neighbors from hell.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 12:20 AM, RobMuir said:
On 4/30/2019 at 12:09 AM, bapoboy said:

The teacher took up some pages of the Thai alphabet and told me, let’s start to learn the alphabet first,

definitely you need to learn the thai alphabet first.

16 hours a week for 4 months first, but told me to do as many hours as I wanted, but that to much.. 6 hours da day, no thank you.

I think you may need a maths tutor as well.

16 divided by 7 or even 5 doesn’t equal 6

You're just full of all kinds of suggestions.       ????

So I was sitting on the balcony in the dark, and then neighbor came home driving he’s car after drinking, took he’s  beer can and poured beer over my dogs near the fence. what is wrong with some people? He didn’t see me, but I saw him. so have anyone of you ever experience some stupid behavior from your neighbors? 

we have all been dicks when we have had too many.

• Like 1

Have a neighbour who is an old Thai guy.  He was so friendly when we first moved here and I am friends with his niece from many years back (she lives with his family on his land)…The other neighbours always gave him a wide birth and I felt a bit sorry for him... thinking it was because he was poor compared to the others.

That was my mistake being too nice.

Now he is a pain.  He complains about EVERYTHING.  first was that out lights were too bright on our car port... so no problem I turned them off.

Then it was out gate was too loud when it closed at night... so we oiled it up, serviced the motor and actually came home earlier to not wake him up (even though the gate was not loud at all).

Then it was out 2 dogs were barking 'ALL THE TIME' and too noisy.  I got worried that might be true... because maybe I was used to it.  So I listened carefully to see if the dogs were barking a lot over several days.  about 5 minutes total in the morning and one time at 5 pm when that neighbour goes outside out gate and throws he left over dinner on the road for all the street dogs and his 7 dogs to come eat and fight over!!!!!  Each time I always called my dogs into the house when they started.  

I had enough and stopped worrying I was a bad neighbour.  More complaints after that...… out motor bike was too loud, my pet bird was waking him up too early, he could hear out TV at night, our air con unit was too loud.... more and more.... 

I stopped talking to him completely.  Ignored him in the street and if he tried to come complain I just said I was going out in a hurry or some other excuse.  

That was the end of it for a few months.  But now my other neighbour came around and spoke to our cleaner (not even speaking to us) telling her to tell me not to 'throw out dogs shit over our wall to outside her house'!!!!!  

'Surprise' we found out that it was the complainer neighbour that had lied about it.. telling her he seen us doing it... when in fact its his collection of dogs that regularly walk up to her gate to crap after their free food handouts each evening.  They know he has all those dogs wandering about... but just want to blame a farang I think.. easier for them?  I had to bite my tongue not to complain to her about her drug addicted son ranting, screaming and smashing up their house at least once every couple of weeks, and them burning rubbish nearly every day.  Idiots.  

Had enough of the lot of them.  Now we just get on with our lives and not worry about what the neighbours think... because we know we are doing nothing wrong.  

On 4/29/2019 at 9:24 AM, Bkkjimbo said:

When we moved in we had a young Thai guy and he had a girlfriend and they liked to rehearse.

They were big music lovers. Occasionally loud but just music. Since they left a year ago, we have had 9 workers renting a 3 bed house.

They lasted a month.

Now we have a family in and the mother hen sneezes a lot.

I preferred the young music lovers.

Across the road we have a fat maniac son who we hear has been on the yaba and that is why he has weekly outbursts.

His outbursts centre around killing his family.

The family are just waiting for it to happen and no one really pays any attention to his threats.

You remind me of Kurt Vonnegut. Have you thought of writing a novel?

On 4/29/2019 at 11:24 PM, Bkkjimbo said:

When we moved in we had a young Thai guy and he had a girlfriend and they liked to rehearse.

They were big music lovers. Occasionally loud but just music. Since they left a year ago, we have had 9 workers renting a 3 bed house.

They lasted a month.

Now we have a family in and the mother hen sneezes a lot.

I preferred the young music lovers.

Across the road we have a fat maniac son who we hear has been on the yaba and that is why he has weekly outbursts.

His outbursts centre around killing his family.

The family are just waiting for it to happen and no one really pays any attention to his threats.

sounds like a nice area you live in.

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

sounds like you live in 1930? 

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That's my general feeling of living in Thailand. Like Britain in the 1930s. A hundred years behind us or is it in front? Depends on your POV.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Next door go out at 6.30 AM, for some reason they always leave the motor bike running for 10 minutes before they get on it and drive off, superstition or science?

It's a Thai thing, my GF's daughter does the same, warming up the engine so the oil is circulating. My Thai is not good enough to explain to her it's completely unnecessary, and wastes fuel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have good internet, a large smart TV and a 1 TB drive loaded with many films and TV series. Yes and no, the women still go out to the rice fields to winnow rice by hand when knocked over by rain and wind, that the mechanical harvesters can't pick up. The majority of households have a satellite dish. There are regular donations of cooked food to the monks at the local temple, which is a focal point.

I go there for a break from my Chiang Mai condo. Big cities can pall too.

• Like 1