reporting after staying at a hotel in another province???

Just renewed my annual retirement extension. 

1. Had to pay a 800 baht fine as I had not reported in following a short holiday to Laos. Never had to do this in Korat before (been here 10 years) but now the new boss of immigration says we have to.

2. I was also told that if I have a hotel stay in another province, again I will have to report in within 24 hrs of my return to Korat? Is this true??? Unbelievable!

Any help thanks

• Sad 1

Had to pay a 800 baht fine as I had not reported in following a short holiday to Laos.

so, does that mean each time you cross the border, the latest residence address registration becomes annulled and after entering in the country again have to make it (report) again anew? basically each time after re-entry. that's ... too hassle-some.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, userabcd said:

If you stay in a hotel in BKK they should report you automatically, if it is a private residence then you should report yourself to BKK immigration, when you return to Korat then you should report to immigration within 24 hrs of arrival at your residence.

I have stayed in Ranong, Sri Racha and Bangkok recently in hotels that didn't ask for my TM8 so I am pretty sure these hotels didn't report to immigration.
I have proof of bookings but I wonder if it could lead to problems.

24 minutes ago, Kasane said:

Per Udon immigration there is no need to report if there is no change in the permanent residential address.

This is how some interpret the regulation, given that Imm. has us via a TM-6, TM-7 and TM-47. But not necessarily how every office seems to be invoking the zealous enforcement of this previously ignored rule.

Does Udon Imm. require at least one TM-30 report, within the proscribed 24-hour "return" period at this permanent residential address?

Edited by mtls2005

4 minutes ago, orchis said:

I have stayed in Ranong, Sri Racha and Bangkok recently in hotels that didn't ask for my TM8 so I am pretty sure these hotels didn't report to immigration.

TM-6 maybe?

Did they take your passport? I suspect they reported you.

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

TM-6 maybe?

Did they take your passport? I suspect they reported you.

you're right, TM6, sorry. 

One  place didn't ask my passport, one had a look at my passport and gave it back without copying or writing down even my name, the one in Bangkok had a registration form that asked for

my passport number but not TM6 number, so I am sure they didn't report as they should.
Nor could I make them; 'not necessary'.

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Let's hope this is just a fluke and does not become common practice...

It seems this nightmarish demand has already became common practice in some areas.

One can say goodbye to any spontaneous traveling across the country, especially if your hometown is far from the immigration office..

????????????

• Like 1

I was told by Chiang Rai Immigration that even if I stay in a hotel WITHIN the Chiang Rai Province I have to report a TM30 when I return home.  Even if the hotel is very, very close to my registered residence.  Each Immigratio office (and/or officer) mskes their own rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

If you stay in a hotel in BKK they should report you automatically, if it is a private residence then you should report yourself to BKK immigration, when you return to Korat then you should report to immigration within 24 hrs of arrival at your residence.

See, this is where I draw a blank. My lease is in the ex-gf name, she's gone, landlord won't give me any docs, could someone please explain how to "report myself"? Let's say I arrive in the country and go camping at Kow Yai. No documents. How to "report myself"? Thanks.

11 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

landlord won't give me any docs, could someone please explain how to "report myself"?

Only the landlord completes the TM30 report. Unless you are the landlord you cannot report yourself. If your landlord won't comply, get a new landlord or put up with the TM30 penalty?

12 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Only the landlord completes the TM30 report. Unless you are the landlord you cannot report yourself. If your landlord won't comply, get a new landlord or put up with the TM30 penalty?

That is not correct. The immigration act states the owner, head of household or the possessor can do the report.

Many people do them do the TM30 reports themselves.

• Like 2

Immigration act section 38

The housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified.

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

So it depends on where you stay if you have to report yourself or not

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This is how some interpret the regulation, given that Imm. has us via a TM-6, TM-7 and TM-47. But not necessarily how every office seems to be invoking the zealous enforcement of this previously ignored rule.

Does Udon Imm. require at least one TM-30 report, within the proscribed 24-hour "return" period at this permanent residential address?

Yes, they do require one TM-30 report within 24 hr on return to permanent residential address after returning from abroad.

1 hour ago, Kasane said:

Per Udon immigration there is no need to report if there is no change in the permanent residential address.

Udon Immigration is just too lazy to process TM30 reports

According to Thai law you are in the country temporary, you don't have a "permanent residential address", you might call it your "usual place"

Had exactly the same experience at Chaengwatthana Immigration yesterday. 

Was told that my Non-Immigrant visa renewal couldn't be processed until my address was resolved. The system had me registered at a hotel in Pattaya we stayed at last year. Spent 2 hours in a queue at counter B to fix it to be told that it was a THB 800 fine that my wife managed to talk her way out of. She was told by the nice lady at this counter that it all came about because some foreigners complained about a Wat near Rama 3 tolling its bell early in the morning and when the police investigated that matter they discovered a whole bunch of foreigners not registered at that address. 

It added another day to the visa renewal process that I didn't see coming. Apparently, there's no online service to support address notification and all foreigners who spend time away from their registered address are expected to report in person every time. Seems ludicrous so let's see how long it lasts. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. The immigration act states the owner, head of household or the possessor can do the report.

OK thanks Joe. But if no documents, then I could not be any of those things. Is there any system to report a landlord for failing to report me? ???? that's what I need, and apparently others on this thread as well.

Edited by NotYourBusiness

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will send you away, demand housebook and id copy which i don't have...

I couldn't get a proof of address for the tax id without doing 90 day report and couldnt do 90 day rep without tm30....

What's the option here? Move somewhere else? That's hilarious ... ill break my lease and risk a litigation case and lose my security deposit and have all the costs and stress of moving somewhere where i don't even know if the next landlord <deleted> will do his <deleted> job.

In the end had to hire a lawyer to get my tax id... and that with elite visa.

If i move because of crap like this, it will be to portugal -.-

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

When signing a rental contract you should insinst on these documents anyway, how else do you know that you are renting the place from the owner?

Maybe just a scam, somebody saw an empty house, sacks your deposit and rent, and a few months later the real owner show up with police and tells you to move your ass out of his house.

7 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Is there any system to report a landlord for failing to report me? ???? that's what I need, and apparently others on this thread as well.

You can probably report him at any police station, the question would be if they move their ass and if this helps you.

If you are renting the place then you are the possessor, so both of you are breaking the same law, one of you two has to report you.

8 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I couldn't get a proof of address for the tax id without doing 90 day report and couldnt do 90 day rep without tm30....

What's the option here? Move somewhere else? That's hilarious ... ill break my lease and risk a litigation case and lose my security deposit and have all the costs and stress of moving somewhere where i don't even know if the next landlord <deleted> will do his <deleted> job.

In the end had to hire a lawyer to get my tax id... and that with elite visa.

If i move because of crap like this, it will be to portugal -.-

Amazing. My sincere condolences.

My place got sold, the copies i have are in the old landlords name! my rental contract is still valid tho!

Even if i had them, they must be signed for the purpose of tm30 report, so u can't just use the copies from the rental contract.

I can't report myself, i tried. There's only so much BS u can keep up with.

Reporting him to police, sure then they fine me for not reporting prolly ... he's not even in thailand, he's not even thai...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When signing a rental contract you should insinst on these documents anyway, how else do you know that you are renting the place from the owner?

Maybe just a scam, somebody saw an empty house, sacks your deposit and rent, and a few months later the real owner show up with police and tells you to move your ass out of his house.

You can probably report him at any police station, the question would be if they move their ass and if this helps you.

If you are renting the place then you are the possessor, so both of you are breaking the same law, one of you two has to report you. 

As I stated, the lease is in my ex-gf name, she's long gone. I am staying there and also paying the rent, but I am definitely not the possessor.

2 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

As I stated, the lease is in my ex-gf name, she's long gone. I am staying there and also paying the rent, but I am definitely not the possessor.

Then you don't have to report yourself, your ex-gf or the landlord would have to report you.

You might of course encounter the problem that the IO tells you you would have to report yourself (which you can't), and try to fine you before they would give you an extension.

But for this situation you could try to play them. Complete a TM30, try to turn it in (no additional documents, besides copy of passport). They will of course refuse it, and ask you if you are renting the place or whatever, tell them you just stay with a friend, act stupid. They probably will explain you that your friend has to report you, and you just stay there so you don't have to report yourself.

After your TM30 has been denied apply for the extension, if they want to fine you for not having done a TM30 refer them to the other IO who just explained you that you don't have to do a TM30 because you just stay at your friend's place.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jackdd said:

OK thanks this is good info, it belongs in every guide book, because NO it is not obvious or this thread would not be so popular. My room is in a big apartment with security and everyone knew the landlord and no it would not be misconstrued to be a scam.

But don't they ask for a SIGNED copy of ID card, and I am assuming that doesn't mean a COPY of a signed copy of an id card? So you would need to get it new every time you returned to your place?

• Like 1