Just now, BritTim said:

When you say you have enough for the air ticket, are you quite sure you have identified the cheapest possible flight? Also, when exactly does that flight leave? (Will you have time to get a laissez passer before the flight leaves?) I have a feeling that you do not understand the enormous difference in price depending on the date you will leave, the airline you use, and the method used to make the booking. At this point, it seems as though a saving of even 5,000 baht on the price of the ticket would make a huge difference to you.

I have a small difference for ticket plane if price will change. I think for this i am cover enough.

1 hour ago, Arthur1960 said:

I have a small difference for ticket plane if price will change. I think for this i am cover enough.

Up to you, but if I understand your situation correctly, I would think a difference between 10,000 baht and 30,000 baht would make a pretty big difference (and that is a realistic price range). If it were me, I would be planning my departure around when I can get a 10,000 baht flight.

17 hours ago, Arthur1960 said:

I no have enough funds for an airplane ticket from Udon to Bangkok. My only concern is along the road by bus from Udon to Bangkok. I am France Nationality. My passport is expired many decades ago. Is this another problems for check in the plane?

??  u cant leave without a passport>!!!
so ur FIRST visit is to the French embassy...

Than u need stay somewhere til you get new passport,  does the French embassy issue emergency passport ) ..US does, takes one day only)

AFTER u get new passport, ( hope u have lots of id) you need visit immigration to be able to leave, good chance you will than be detained..

Best of luck but dont understand why you couldn't bother for 29 years to do things right.  Taking care of ur wife is no excuse

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

??  u cant leave without a passport>!!!
so ur FIRST visit is to the French embassy...

Than u need stay somewhere til you get new passport,  does the French embassy issue emergency passport ) ..US does, takes one day only)

AFTER u get new passport, ( hope u have lots of id) you need visit immigration to be able to leave, good chance you will than be detained..

Best of luck but dont understand why you couldn't bother for 29 years to do things right.  Taking care of ur wife is no excuse

Hi Phuketrichard: i will start answer you to your last consideration: you are right. Nothing to say. Taking care day by day the girl, the woman with who i spent more than 30 years together, look at her die slowly because of a rare disease, is not an excuse. Why i decide to find myself in this situation? I don't know. Stupid: OK. I not open this 3ad searching for compassion: i know most of the people are against people like me, and i accept it. The French Embassy does issue an emergency travel document: but by phone they don't tell me nothing, expect the price of it. Please explain me the immigration case: with this document can i go direct to airport and clear my situation there before board the plane?

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Up to you, but if I understand your situation correctly, I would think a difference between 10,000 baht and 30,000 baht would make a pretty big difference (and that is a realistic price range). If it were me, I would be planning my departure around when I can get a 10,000 baht flight.

Can he not just go to a neighbouring country and save money on flight?

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Can he not just go to a neighbouring country and save money on flight?

What would he do after he got there. He would not be able to return to Thailand since he will  banned from entering for 10 years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you need to go back and read some earlier posts about a emergency passport and a travel document.

He will not be detained when he leaves the country at a airport. He certainly will not need to visit a immigration office.

Great Ubonjoe..thank you

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

What would he do after he got there. He would not be able to return to Thailand since he will  banned from entering for 10 years.

Strapped for cash option tho, better than detention

20 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Strapped for cash option tho, better than detention

Another problem with your suggestion he may only have a travel document that only allows him to return to France. It appears that is all the French embassy will let him apply for since his passport expired years ago.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Another problem with your suggestion he may only have a travel document that only allows him to return to France. It appears that is all the French embassy will let him apply for since his passport expired years ago.

I just want to return France......and finish my days there

Please eat and drink something. It doesn’t cost that much and it’s definitely worth spend. The last thing you want is ending up in a hospital costing you more or, even worse, attracting unwanted attention. 

I also second someone else‘s thought about flight prices. How do you know you have enough for the flight? How do you know you don’t have enough for the bus and food? After all, flight prices can fluctuate a lot, especially when booking last minute. 

Is there any way you can get more money? How did you live the last 30 years; where did you money come from? Do you have a Credit Card that you can cash out? 

And with regards to the new passport, even if the embassy doesn’t want to give out more detailed info over the phone, i think you should be able to research the process and documents required online so you have things sorted once you show up there. Also, ask them if they can lend you some money if needed. Some embassies do that sometimes. 

Anyway good luck. I wish I could help more. Terrible situation you ended up in but I believe you will get over it somehow if you focus now and get your shi* together. You did the right thing by staying with your wife even if you f***ed up at the other end. All the best!

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Please eat and drink something. It doesn’t cost that much and it’s definitely worth spend. The last thing you want is ending up in a hospital costing you more or, even worse, attracting unwanted attention. 

I also second someone else‘s thought about flight prices. How do you know you have enough for the flight? How do you know you don’t have enough for the bus and food? After all, flight prices can fluctuate a lot, especially when booking last minute. 

Is there any way you can get more money? How did you live the last 30 years; where did you money come from? Do you have a Credit Card that you can cash out? 

And with regards to the new passport, even if the embassy doesn’t want to give out more detailed info over the phone, i think you should be able to research the process and documents required online so you have things sorted once you show up there. Also, ask them if they can lend you some money if needed. Some embassies do that sometimes. 

Anyway good luck. I wish I could help more. Terrible situation you ended up in but I believe you will get over it somehow if you focus now and get your shi* together. You did the right thing by staying with your wife even if you f***ed up at the other end. All the best!

At this moment i am on water only. I live in the upcountry, alone, in the house that i live with my wife for more than 30 decades. In our plans this house should be our beloved place where to finish happy our days. Now, without her, is so cold. Now the flight is a problem: i was ready to flight even tomorrow: but after Ubonjoe and many of you advise me about the passport: so now everything changes. If the prices will have a little difference, i am suppose to afford it. Now time is my worst enemy. The last 30 years i live with savings but my wife's disease( a rare one) costs a lot of money monthly. I no have nothing right: just the cash for bus, visa, flight ticket. They told that by phone they are not able to tell me nothing: they told me to present me with the expiry passaport. That's it. If i have to do again, i will do for her.

16 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

OP, sorry to hear of your wife's death and your unpleasant situation going back to Europe.

No idea how good, or how bad your embassy is, but they should be the first place you have to go to. Even when you arrive early morning at 5 am in Bangkok, just wait in front of your embassy. Very uncommon that cops would check your ID there.

If you can afford it, travel by Nakhon Chai Air, the safest way of traveling on a bus and perhaps the best in your situation.

You can book your flight out at your embassy, they should know how you have to behave in such a situation, I guess you aren't the first with a similar problem.

If you've got the money for your overstay and a ticket in the near future, I do not think that they'd hold you longer than needed. Best of luck! 

If you hadn't eaten for so long, don't you know anybody you can call who lives near you? If not, please send me a private message and I'll see what I can do to help you. There must be hundreds of UdonThani foreigners reading this post, and that's not a GoFundMe guy trying to make some money, he only needs some food. 

Good on you mate. great to see that there are still caring people left in this world!

• Like 2

Perhaps call the Consulate in Khon Kaen for advice...

Hôtel Charoenthani
Muang Khon Kaen,
260 Srichan Road,
Chang Wai,
Khon Kaen 40000
Portable : +66 (0)883222496
E-mail : [email protected]
Horaires de permanence : le lundi de 10h00 à 13h00 et de 14h00 à 18h00
Vous pouvez prendre RDV par téléphone.

Consul honoraire

M. Jean-Michel PERROY

Just now, briofoz said:

Perhaps call the Consulate in Khon Kaen for advice...

Hôtel Charoenthani
Muang Khon Kaen,
260 Srichan Road,
Chang Wai,
Khon Kaen 40000
Portable : +66 (0)883222496
E-mail : [email protected]
Horaires de permanence : le lundi de 10h00 à 13h00 et de 14h00 à 18h00
Vous pouvez prendre RDV par téléphone.

Consul honoraire

M. Jean-Michel PERROY

I done this already before: but they told me that i have to do everything in Bangkok. Thanks a lot Briofoz. Appreciate

A quick search reveals one-way tickets to Paris for under 13,000 baht. (Leaving mid-week. Weekend flights tend to be more expensive generally.)

However, it would be cheaper to book a return ticket and then cancel the return portion after you arrive in Paris.

For example, on SaveFlights.com which is a little Thai place, they show a round trip fare with Gulf Air for 20,900 baht. As long as it's not a Restricted Fare you would (should) be able to fly home, then cancel the return portion of the ticket and get a refund.

2 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

A quick search reveals one-way tickets to Paris for under 13,000 baht. (Leaving mid-week. Weekend flights tend to be more expensive generally.)

However, it would be cheaper to book a return ticket and then cancel the return portion after you arrive in Paris.

For example, on SaveFlights.com which is a little Thai place, they show a round trip fare with Gulf Air for 20,900 baht. As long as it's not a Restricted Fare you would (should) be able to fly home, then cancel the return portion of the ticket and get a refund.

Thank you Kerryd. Appreciate

8 hours ago, DannyP said:

I think every hotel ask You about passport.  A lot not report to immigration but just for security themselves.  

Im not sure its good way, but what about to stay in... temple? Maybe monks let You spend couple days and give You food. I think no one ask You about passport there. 

Another option would be to go back to Udon on night bus and wait at home after submitting application for emergency travel document at French Embassy. Make another trip to BKK on later date to pick up the travel document and then immediately head to airport.

2 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Another option would be to go back to Udon on night bus and wait at home after submitting application for emergency travel document at French Embassy. Make another trip to BKK on later date to pick up the travel document and then immediately head to airport.

As i understand, road check in are usual and dangerous: if i follow your suggestion that means i have to travel 3 times by road. And consider the lack of money for travel so many times.

2 minutes ago, Arthur1960 said:

As i understand, road check in are usual and dangerous: if i follow your suggestion that means i have to travel 3 times by road. And consider the lack of money for travel so many times.

Find some small cheap guest house on a side street somewhere and check in. Many will not ask for your passport.

• Like 1