11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Arthur, I cannot advise you about the passport etc.  But if you have no money to buy even simple food, please send me a private message on this forum with your bank details and I will send a little money to help to buy food - I have been in this situation (zero money!) myself and not eating for days on end ????

I hope you manage to sort everything out OK.

Thanks for your support

21 hours ago, Arthur1960 said:

So now have to go French embassy for a new passport? 

Oui! 

I am French, you can send me a PM (message) in French if you want. 

Don't expect too much from the embassy, things will take time, which means that you will need to stay in Bangkok many days... 

41 minutes ago, Arthur1960 said:

Thanks for your support

how are you going to pay for your airline ticket? cash or credit card?

how will you book your flight? do you have a smart phone with email?

and a phone will help to communicate with the embassy.

you should know airport food is expensive and there is a three hour wait for international departure plus the time at immigration at the airport.

29 years is a long time. you may be shocked at how expensive everything is in France now. Have you thought about that end of it?   

good luck.

One or 2 posters have mentioned about Embassies lending money. They don't do this, but will help to arrange receipt of funds from family or friends in your home country.

What will happen to the house?

Can your wife's family not help in any way?

Just wondering. If he is concerned about travelling without a passport now, what has been doing for the last 29 years? Cooped up in his wife's house without going out anywhere? ( yes, I know he was looking after her and she was supporting his eating habits)

Try Gofundme and stay another 29 while the luck is with you.

Sorry if the OP report is genuine and if so then best of le chance.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, orchis said:

maybe the laissez-passer (emergency document) can be delivered much faster than a new passport.
again, the embassy would know.

The French embassy delivers emergency passports, but it is not free. 

Also they make a difference between people who have legitimate excuses (theft, loss...) and people who don't. 

If real, the OP's situation is as bad as it can get... 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you need to go back and read some earlier posts about a emergency passport and a travel document.

He will not be detained when he leaves the country at a airport. He certainly will not need to visit a immigration office.

?? how can he depart Thailand without an entry stamp into the country?
So ur saying with a NEW passport, he just goes to the airport and departs>
wont they ask for his old passport/ Pay overstay ( 20,000 Baht)
what if he doesn't have or show them the old passport?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he departs thru immigration..

Edited by phuketrichard

6 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

?? how can he depart Thailand without an entry stamp into the country?

He probably has one in his long expired passport and maybe an old TM6. He will show it and his ETD when he goes through the process at departure immigration.

People leave all the time after losing or having a passport stolen with a new passport that has nothing in it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

A 29 year overstay.  He would have to be up there in the record books for over stayers. 

That's a real value for money overstay.  ????

Certainly the longest I've ever heard of and seemingly impossible in this day and age, especially of checking on foreigners. Interesting story if true, and I assume it is based on the posts from the OP.

7 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

I certainly think that this a very unusual case. If you have been here such a long time you must have been totally integrated in the Thai society. Language, culture etc. It doesn't absolve you of the fact that it was the wrong thing to do, but I imagine that they where not that paranoid back then with regard to overstayers that kept a low profile and didn't engage in criminal practices. Wished that there could be a pardon of some sort for your case. Once you have lived somewhere for such a long time then that is probably where your heart is. 

France is certainly not a very attractive option. Just thinking out loud. 

France is a very attractive option, if you are French, and broke, and in need of medical care.  ????

• Thanks 2

Not sure if I am right, but, you only have funds for flight out.

Mybe some of the other guys would know.

How about getting stopped or go to the immigration up your way. Explain your situation, your wife died. They will arrest you for overstay and start the process to deport you.. Pay the 20k  help get your embassy doc. 

And free ride to the airport. Straight through the imigration counter.

16 minutes ago, shaurene said:

How about getting stopped or go to the immigration up your way. Explain your situation, your wife died. They will arrest you for overstay and start the process to deport you.. Pay the 20k  help get your embassy doc. 

You can probably save a bit of money on the fine. However, the total costs involved when you are deported greatly outweigh any savings. It is possible to find flights to Paris from Bangkok for around 10,000 baht (to Nice, even for slightly less). However, when you are being deported, the airline is informed, and generally not obliged to carry you. Low cost airlines will invariably refuse. You end up buying an expensive ticket. There are additional costs payable for transport under immigration supervision to the airport. Further, although immigration has discretion on this, in practice they will lock up anyone pending deportation in the Immigration Detention Centre. That is not a pleasant experience. Deportation is to be avoided at all costs.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The concern is very much the extra expense and delay wrt obtaining a travel document. You need to factor this in. If you end up in the hands of the police, you will end up in detention.  I don't know how helpful the French Embassy will be.

Good luck.

Just a curiosity question, in a case like this would any / most embassies issue a one time travel document in lieu of waiting for a new passport? In this case would it be worth calling the specific embassy and asking them?

And of course would the Thai immigration folks accept a one time travel document in the OPs circumstances? Again ask the embassy.

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

two to three weeks in jail until he is processed. 

On 5/1/2019 at 10:04 PM, Isaanbiker said:

OP, sorry to hear of your wife's death and your unpleasant situation going back to Europe.

No idea how good, or how bad your embassy is, but they should be the first place you have to go to. Even when you arrive early morning at 5 am in Bangkok, just wait in front of your embassy. Very uncommon that cops would check your ID there.

If you can afford it, travel by Nakhon Chai Air, the safest way of traveling on a bus and perhaps the best in your situation.

You can book your flight out at your embassy, they should know how you have to behave in such a situation, I guess you aren't the first with a similar problem.

If you've got the money for your overstay and a ticket in the near future, I do not think that they'd hold you longer than needed. Best of luck! 

If you hadn't eaten for so long, don't you know anybody you can call who lives near you? If not, please send me a private message and I'll see what I can do to help you. There must be hundreds of UdonThani foreigners reading this post, and that's not a GoFundMe guy trying to make some money, he only needs some food. 

G'Day ,  if you help him let me know and I will help too. But, expect many to help . As I have tried before .. Need more people like you ..

I'm absolutely taken aback by the Goodwill wishes on here given that for many years all I have ever heard is scorn and total Damnation to any overstayer who's ever got on the other side of the law. To be honest I think many of the past TV members are no longer with us as I can assure you the outcome of this post would have been a lot more different. UbonJoe, has never changed much, always the diplomatic gentleman. I've decided to come back to Thailand for 6 months a year but have been away for over 3 years and have read on the odd occasion about the cleaning process for illegal aliens thinking its only good for Thailand. I also wonder how Thailand has changed since I left. Hope the women will still be throwing themselves at me once I arrive lol ........

Reading between the lines, the main problem may be that he's not in great physical and/or mental shape and may well look very suspicious at any routine checkpoint going by bus to Bangkok to visit the French embassy for a new emergency passport.

He can't fly to Bangkok because if there's no valid passport then he will also very likely not have a valid driver's license or other form of ID. Then again the airline and airport staff don't usually check expiration dates for a domestic flight, however a passport that's over 30 years old may well look obviously wrong: still with an old photo physically stapled to a page, not a digital image. So it may well look 'wrong' and cause a problem.

And travel by bus or train may result in routine checkpoint checks: again an ancient passport will look wrong there.

I'd say he's in need of having someone make sure he's presentable looking and then drive him to Bangkok; there are checkpoints but unlikely to result in a passport check unless something looks suspicious. (Chances are it'll look suspicious, though..  I personally don't have my passport checked when driving with the wife and kids on what clearly looks like a holiday trip, but if he gets his late wife's brother or other family member to drive him in his pick up truck then that's going to look a little off.)

Good thing it's the hot season, so best bet may be to take a day bus to Bangkok. Police are very unlikely to feel like doing checkpoints out in the midday sun. Put old passport in a suitcase in the bus cargo hold.  And don't do it this weekend when the whole country will be on high alert, and Monday is a holiday with the embassy likely closed.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Just now, CH1961 said:

Sorry, I can't believe this story. Hiding for 29 years without need to show a ID? 

At least when his wife died? 

Is a right of everyone to not believe this story. I will not believe myself: i think the main unbelievable things to believe is the overstay and how i can live. I not travel a lot, just becasue there is not reason to do: i was a beloved husband so i was 24/7 looking under my wife and i cannot leave her for long time. I made trip to town, always local bus: avoid use cars or bikes due to driver license control and eventually passport control. I never asked to prove identity to buy food or such other things. Even at pharmacy i never need to provide identity. Once i made an admission card for a local hospital, but they just look at the name and surname. My wife passed away weeks ago.

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Just a curiosity question, in a case like this would any / most embassies issue a one time travel document in lieu of waiting for a new passport? In this case would it be worth calling the specific embassy and asking them?

And of course would the Thai immigration folks accept a one time travel document in the OPs circumstances? Again ask the embassy.

I know the British Embassy can issue a white (emergency) document which will allow a person to travel back to the UK. France has similar? I don't see why Thai immigration would not respect it. If he got to the airport, I expect they would let him leave. Others have done so in the past. They would likely be sorely aggravated by such an overstay and his sad history would not mean a can of beans to them. 

I can see his circumstances possibly occurring, but am wondering why there is no family of his late wife to help him. 

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Just a curiosity question, in a case like this would any / most embassies issue a one time travel document in lieu of waiting for a new passport?

Discussed a few pages back in this topic. I think people should read more of the topic before posting.