Thais' obsession with documents, copies, signatures

CLW

Maybe immigration should be interested in a scanner to save duplicate personal copies to be physically sent to the master office from Mukdahan to Korat  and all other offices round the country,  Then we only need to submit one copy of every required document which is filed by scanner to ultimate destination where it is instantly available

Would reduce work load considerably for every one????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They ask for 24 photos when applying for edu visa.... TWENTY FOUR
Haha. Gotta see that form that was luckily cancelled a few days ago.
Makes you feel like living in North Korea or under Gestapo [emoji53]
FB_IMG_1557372785573.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

After my 36 signatures and 30  photocopies as well as a 3 month wait, I got a Bangkok Bank credit card, but I had to put 100000 baht in first to be able to use it, and have to top it back up each month.

This contrasts with my bank, First Direct, in the UK where I signed once on a form many years ago and got my card in 7 days. 

First Direct has no branches and I use internet and occasionally phone to deal with everything.

My first experience with Kasikorn Cyber Banking online finished with them telling me to print and sign a form and take it to my local Kasikorn branch! Useless.

Here every system depends on lack of trust and manual intervention, will take generations to change. The pressure will come from  the banks to save cost, but will still take forever.
New hope with online banking from TMRW by UOB. But I heard it's only for Thai nationals.

Maybe immigration should be interested in a scanner to save duplicate personal copies to be physically sent to the master office from Mukdahan to Korat  and all other offices round the country,  Then we only need to submit one copy of every required document which is filed by scanner to ultimate destination where it is instantly available
Would reduce work load considerably for every one????

Wouldn't surprise if someone in the purchasing department has contacts to office suppliers such as paper and xerox machines to keep the system alive.

Has very little to do with no one having "the balls to decide something alone", since that could be achieved with a lot fewer pages while retaining the large sign-off list.

Remember, in Asia in general, appearances are very important, and in Thailand they are way above the curve in that respect. Having lots of superfluous nonsense, or "bla bla" as you put it, makes the proposed project "look" important. Therefore, it brings greater prestige to anyone attached to it (including those many officials and bureaucrats who sign off on it).
My girlfriend works in government office and sometimes she is formulating a letter for hours to find the right words in Thai language, as she tried to explain me why she needed that long for a few paragraphs letter. Must have something to do with Thai language and etiquette, not to intimidating someone.

You're a foreigner so can't compare. Much of the paperwork is due to your own countries too. Bank forms for example, do you think Thais want to deal with it? 

I do not think the paperwork is significantly more than in other countries. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You're a foreigner so can't compare. Much of the paperwork is due to your own countries too. Bank forms for example, do you think Thais want to deal with it? 

I do not think the paperwork is significantly more than in other countries. 
Well, I think it is. Just as another poster said about opening a bank account.
At home I wouldn't need to be physically present in the bank nor make copies or give signatures on them.
Everything can be made online even the authorisation they will arrange a video call and you have to show you and your passport, that's all. Some banks offer verification at post office, which is also convenient.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

Well, I think it is. Just as another poster said about opening a bank account.
At home I wouldn't need to be physically present in the bank nor make copies or give signatures on them.
Everything can be made online even the authorisation they will arrange a video call and you have to show you and your passport, that's all. Some banks offer verification at post office, which is also convenient.

I would say up to half the docs for bank accounts can be disclosure agreements forced upon the banks by your home country. This largely depends on what country you are from of course. 

If you think the paperwork is excessive here, try looking at some bills and insurance papers for a single hospital visit in the US. 

You are also not taking into account foreign scrutiny. If I move from Saudi Arabia to the USA, do you think my banking forms are going to look like a US citizen's? That is the situation you are in here as a foreigner. 

• Like 1

I use paper mainly in the bathroom. Imagine a dream world where paper administration would be banned, and all those saved trees could absorb excess CO2. It wouldn’t be 45 degrees in summer, and we wouldn’t need all that air con that consumes loads of energy - and only generates more CO2 and more heat... Just dreaming.

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Like most other countries.

Yeah I give you that remembering the paperwork from the UK when it was Gov pension time.

Just getting my marriage extension ready for immigration 52 pieces of A4 paper.

• Like 2