Local elections deliver Brexit bashing for Britain's May and opposition

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Whatever figure you use, it was way way more than Farage's march.

The Euro elections have never been a reliable indicator of how people would vote in a GE or referendum for that matter. Expect an historically low turnout.

And for a historically low turnout remainers will be blamed by the brexiteers.

If the anger is as high as claimed by brexiteers the turnout should be extremely high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

And for a historically low turnout remainers will be blamed by the brexiteers.

If the anger is as high as claimed by brexiteers the turnout should be extremely high.

Brexiteers will clutch at any straw, use any illogical argument to support their non existent case. They are now suffering from extreme desperation.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Whatever figure you use, it was way way more than Farage's march.

The Euro elections have never been a reliable indicator of how people would vote in a GE or referendum for that matter. Expect an historically low turnout.

Well in the 2014 UK European election results UKIP received the most votes  4,376,635 of any party

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/vote2014/eu-uk-results

And in the 2015 General Election UKIP received 3,881,099 votes which I know only resulted in 1 seat( although I do see remainers incorrectly claim that UKIP has never won a seat in the HOC) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bomber said:

everything Britain used to make they now make in their countries,indian companies also own several remaining large british companies,any trade deal will only favour them even more,our best bet is fighting to hold onto what we have left ie Nissan,toyota,bwm,JRL,airbus but brexit will finish these big 5 off along with countless others,please keep up to date with the UK news a bit more.

I think you under estimate what I actually do keep up with, unless you actually know different I suggest you refrain from making such comments and spend more time learning Portuguese....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Well in the 2014 UK European election results UKIP received the most votes  4,376,635 of any party

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/vote2014/eu-uk-results

And in the 2015 General Election UKIP received 3,881,099 votes which I know only resulted in 1 seat( although I do see remainers incorrectly claim that UKIP has never won a seat in the HOC) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results

Thanks for supporting my argument. UKIP gained several seats in the Euro Elections.  At the following GE they retained 1 seat, Douglas Carswell, who defected from the conservatives to UKIP and retained his seat.

He resigned from UKIP in 2017, admitting that his defection "was a mistake". He didn't contest the 2017 GE. UKIP have only ever had the one seat in Parliament and now have none.

Although it was a much lower turnout in the Euros than the GE, almost 1/2 million people less voted for UKIP in the GE than the Euro elections.

Euro elections are always a protest vote and no guide to voter intentions at a GE....or a referendum.

Edited by Spidey
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Good to see that you admit that your 1st post was factually incorrect 

As to Douglas Carswell he actually won his seat twice under the UKIP banner

1st time was when he resigned as a MP forcing a by election where he stood as a UKIP candidate and won and the 2nd time when he stood for re-election in the 2015 General Elections

I am not a fan of Douglas Carswell but at least he has shown more balls by resigning as a MP and forcing a by-election  than the spineless lot in the Change UK – The Independent Group that refused to stand down and force a by-elections to allow their respective  constituencies to choose if they want to re-elected them or not

Why is my first post factually incorrect? They currently have no MPs and it's my assertion that they won't gain one MP at the next GE. Suggest that you brush up on your comprehension.

Yes Carswell had the balls to defect from the Tories to UKIP. he also had the balls to resign 3 years later and admit that it had been a mistake.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Why is my first post factually incorrect? They currently have no MPs and it's my assertion that they won't gain one MP at the next GE. Suggest that you brush up on your comprehension.

Yes Carswell had the balls to defect from the Tories to UKIP. he also had the balls to resign 3 years later and admit that it had been a mistake.

Back peddling now your 1st post stated the following "Won't gain even 1 MP. Same as the old UKIP (but with much less support). Farage is yesterday's man."

no  mention of current or past in your post so as stated your 1st post was factually incorrect

• Like 1

Just now, vinny41 said:

Back peddling now your 1st post stated the following "Won't gain even 1 MP. Same as the old UKIP (but with much less support). Farage is yesterday's man."

no  mention of current or past in your post so as stated your 1st post was factually incorrect

Again you're showing a severe lack of comprehension. They were my assertions not statements of fact.

I asserted that they won't gain one MP at the next election. I also separately asserted (notice the full stop between sentences?) that Farage's Brexit party is essentially the same as the old UKIP party but with less support. 

Hope that helps.

6 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Sorry that you misprinted ,i think you meant remainers ,not Brexiteers .

Nope you got it right first time. Brexiteers, not remainers. Desperate and bereft of sane ideas.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Nope you got it right first time. Brexiteers, not remainers. Desperate and bereft of sane ideas.

I don't understand why every day you post here slagging off one side of the debate as somehow demented. I for one do not take you seriously because of it. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The turnout should have been extremely high at the local elections. 

I think they had spent a few hours in the pub, that's all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nontabury said:

My god,you want to know all my business. Would you like to have access to my bank account? Have you got an infatuation with me?

Again you’ve got everything wrong. I live in Lincolnshire, a county with a high influx of Eastern European’s, Hence while I awaited funds being transferred from Thailand, not all that straightforward, with all the anti money laundering regulations.I had to privately rent a flat. Thankfully I have now received funds and have purchased a house.

Hopefully you’ll forgive me for not divulging the exact location, as I think you’re a potential stalker.

Those who had been on these Brexit threads over the last 3-4 yrs, will know why I returned to live in the U.K.  I will however give you one clue, some of us,unlike yourself, have lead in our pencil.

you did state on here a while back that EU regulation/red tape or words to that effect as a reason for you having to sell your business,maybe you would of anyway and were just spicing it up but you did state it,

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

Just for @nontabury who seems to have extreme difficulty in believing the facts.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted

"The vote on Britain's membership of the European Union cut across party lines, with significant division within Britain's main political parties. Conservatives voted to Leave, 61% to 39%. Labour voters (65%) and Liberal Democrats (68%) largely voted for Remain but significant minorities went for Leave. Only UKIP, where 95% voted for Leave, and the Greens, where 80% voted for Remain, avoided significant internal divisions on the vote." 

Sorry I had previously quoted 64% it was actually 65%.

Labour know what they have to go if the 65% is correct,

5 hours ago, transam said:

I think you under estimate what I actually do keep up with, unless you actually know different I suggest you refrain from making such comments and spend more time learning Portuguese....

I suggest your not a mod

12 hours ago, nontabury said:

But since that date, many, including myself have come to realise that we were lied to and conned.

C36F44DB-B223-404A-94C4-95D0E57CA961.jpeg

People seem to be very quick to criticise the MPs, but seem to absolve those who voted them in, namely the UK voting public. In the 2015 General Election, 650 MPs were elected, over 75% of whom believed that it was in the UK's best interest to remain in the EU. Just one year later, they were being asked to abandon their principles at the behest of 37% of the electorate.

One of the many ironies of the whole Brexit issue is that the people who claim to want to take back absolute sovereignty are the self same ones who are now being critical of the way parliamentary sovereignty currently operates in our representative democracy.

3 hours ago, transam said:

I don't understand why every day you post here slagging off one side of the debate as somehow demented. I for one do not take you seriously because of it. 

I only reply in that tone to those that slag me off. If someone posts reasoned debate, I reply in like. Rare from a brexiteer though.

As for yourself, king of the one line, one word posts which add nothing to the debate, as in your post above. Does anyone take you seriously? POTY? Ye gods, remind me never to accept such a dubious accolade! Who was your predecessor, Jingthing? 555.

21 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

People seem to be very quick to criticise the MPs, but seem to absolve those who voted them in, namely the UK voting public. In the 2015 General Election, 650 MPs were elected, over 75% of whom believed that it was in the UK's best interest to remain in the EU. Just one year later, they were being asked to abandon their principles at the behest of 37% of the electorate.

One of the many ironies of the whole Brexit issue is that the people who claim to want to take back absolute sovereignty are the self same ones who are now being critical of the way parliamentary sovereignty currently operates in our representative democracy.

It's probably the biggest single issue that irks me about the whole debacle. In the run up to the referendum, no one really put up an impassioned opposition to the Brexit campaign. Labour were the biggest culprits, with the majority of their MPs and 65% of their electorate being remainers. Corbyn sat on the fence but it was clear that he was and remained a lifelong Brexiteer.

Who represented me in the debate, a lifelong Labour voter and remainer? No one.

The biggest stumbling block to getting Article 50 revoked is Corbyn. A traitor to his own party if not his personal agenda.

I firmly believe that if the Labour party had a credible leader when May called a snap election, we would have a Labour government now. If that leader had been a dedicated remainer, Article 50 would already have been revoked.

55 minutes ago, bomber said:

Labour know what they have to go if the 65% is correct,

65% is the official YouGov figure. The number of Labour MPs who support remain is even greater. However Momentum have hijacked the Labour party and installed Corbyn as their leader, an inveterate Brexiteer. Nothing will change until the ordinary working man takes back control of his party.

48 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I only reply in that tone to those that slag me off. If someone posts reasoned debate, I reply in like. Rare from a brexiteer though.

As for yourself, king of the one line, one word posts which add nothing to the debate, as in your post above. Does anyone take you seriously? POTY? Ye gods, remind me never to accept such a dubious accolade! Who was your predecessor, Jingthing? 555.

Oh dear oh dear....

But at least you know something of my forum history....:clap2:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh dear oh dear....

But at least you know something of my forum history....:clap2:

Not sure if it was this thread or another Brexit thread where a poster noted that his friends had splintered into 2 camps, Brexit and remain, and, due to the amount of animosity between the 2 camps, they no longer associated with each other. It's a really sad reflection on how this issue has divided the country.

I have found exactly the same on TV, posters that I previously shared most of my opinions with and had the banter with, now abuse me openly without any provocation. Very sad really.