North Korea fires short-range missiles for first time since 2017 - South Korea

rooster59

North Korea fires short-range missiles for first time since 2017 - South Korea

By Hyunjoo Jin and Joyce Lee

800x800 (1).jpg

A North Korean flag fluttering on top of a 160-metre tower in North Korea's propaganda village of Gijungdong is seen through a pair of binoculars installed at the village hall of Tae Sung freedom village near the Military Demarcation Line (MDL), inside the demilitarised zone separating the two Koreas, in Paju, South Korea, April 24, 2018. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea fired several short-range missiles from its east coast on Saturday, South Korea's military said, the first missile launch since 2017 as it steps up pressure against Washington after a failed nuclear summit.

The North fired an unidentified short-range missile from the city of Wonsan around 9 a.m. (0000 GMT), South Korea's Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement. The Office said it was conducting joint analysis with the United States.

Several missiles flew 70 kms to 200 kms (44-124 miles), the Joint Chiefs of Staff said later.

The launch is the first since the North fired an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) in November 2017, before declaring the building of its nuclear force complete and extending an olive branch to the South and the United States.

Its leader, Kim Jong Un, has vowed to no longer test nuclear weapons or ICBMs, but the North has conducted other weapons tests since then.

The missile firing, coming after the North's test of what it called a tactical weapons system, added to the pressure it has exerted on Washington in talks on ending the North's nuclear programme.

"It also seems clear that North Korea is angry over what appears to be a lack of flexibility in the Trump administration’s position on relieving sanctions, sticking to a policy of 'maximum pressure'," said Harry Kazianis at the Center for the National Interest, a think-tank.

Kim has held two summit meetings with U.S. President Donald Trump, the second in February in Vietnam, but the two failed to make progress on ending the North's nuclear programme due to disagreement on weapons dismantlement and sanctions relief.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-04

Now that the great Russian Hoax is finished maybe the Administration can work together to broker deals with Russia ,China and NK. Wouldn't that be nice,I'm just sayin ! The Russian Hoax hampered the POTUS from negotiating with Russia. I would like to see  Mr. Trump vision of "Wouldn't it be nice to get along with Russia" 

April 27,19 "Russia and China are helping us’: Trump welcomes ‘progress’ on North Korea"

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3007935/russia-and-china-are-helping-us-trump-welcomes-progress-north

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

This is sad to see. But we must remember, the deep state decided that on the day of the last historic summit, instead of having Trumps back and supporting him, they chose to put cryin' Michael Cohen on the stand and let him flail around like a harpooned dugong causing Trump to throw in the towel and head home for a round of golf. I see what he was thinking. If the deep state and democrats want more missiles flying around I may as well hit the links. He does have a point.

It's not easy talkin  geopolitical science when people look at the glass half empty as opposed to half full ! I only hope the administration can weed out more carreer department officials that oppose Mr. Trump's agenda! Hate must be eradicated 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Hummm wonder how well prepared the USA and South Korean army’s to respond to Kim?oh that’s right our Donald canceled all that for a cheep photo op to help get Kim that murderous despot creditably on the world stage yes trump supporters we rember 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, riclag said:

Now that the great Russian Hoax is finished maybe the Administration can work together to broker deals with Russia ,China and NK. Wouldn't that be nice,I'm just sayin ! The Russian Hoax hampered the POTUS from negotiating with Russia. I would like to see  Mr. Trump vision of "Wouldn't it be nice to get along with Russia" 

Yes, wouldn't it be great to cozy up to the one that has declared war on democracy. Don't worry riclag, the traitor in the WH is on excellent terms with his handler in Moscow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

This is sad to see. But we must remember, the deep state decided that on the day of the last historic summit, instead of having Trumps back and supporting him, they chose to put cryin' Michael Cohen on the stand and let him flail around like a harpooned dugong causing Trump to throw in the towel and head home for a round of golf. I see what he was thinking. If the deep state and democrats want more missiles flying around I may as well hit the links. He does have a point.

Another fake news. Trump has been very clear on why talks aborted (link from your fav tv channel ;))

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-wasnt-prepared-to-lift-us-sanctions-on-north-korea-leading-to-abrupt-end-to-summit

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Becker said:

Yes, wouldn't it be great to cozy up to the one that has declared war on democracy. Don't worry riclag, the traitor in the WH is on excellent terms with his handler in Moscow.

That traitor nonsense is overrated more conspiracy theories  ! No one person  handles Mr. Trump! But it would be nice to see Americas adversaries being less adversarial !

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3007935/russia-and-china-are-helping-us-trump-welcomes-progress-north

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I see everyone joking about this, because that's what impotent people on the internet do, but I think the ramifications are going to be worse than many may think presently.

Unless Kim is a totally deranged lunatic, which he clearly is not,  NK posses no real threat to the world, or even to its Asian neighbours. Great posturing, but little else.  Now Iran, therein lies the real danger to world peace.  

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Unless Kim is a totally deranged lunatic, which he clearly is not,  NK posses no real threat to the world, or even to its Asian neighbours. Great posturing, but little else.  Now Iran, therein lies the real danger to world peace.  

I hope you're wrong about Iran, because almost every Iranian I've ever met I have liked. Sure, the ayatollahs have got to go but I wish we could regain our friendship with Iran and disengage from the Saudis, of which I've never even met one that I've liked.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Says Trump.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I hope you're wrong about Iran, because almost every Iranian I've ever met I have liked. Sure, the ayatollahs have got to go but I wish we could regain our friendship with Iran and disengage from the Saudis, of which I've never even met one that I've liked.

I agree, as a people delightful, but they are in the control of religious fanatics with a clear agenda of terrorism.  For once, Trump was right to  dump the agreement, a bad deal all around. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I agree, as a people delightful, but they are in the control of religious fanatics with a clear agenda of terrorism.  For once, Trump was right to  dump the agreement, a bad deal all around. 

I had thought that there was a small glimmer of hope during the "Arab Spring" back in 2010, but between Obama and Clinton they failed to make any inroads from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

and he's right, for once. 

No. The other countries, except Saudi Arabia and Israel desagree with Trump and his war dogs.

About your terrorism claims, it is time that Trumpists understand that the terrorist attacks we have experienced were made by Sunni Muslims, not by Shia Muslim, i.e. Al Quaida, ISIS, etc...Sorry but the guys who killed my fellow citizen and your fellow citizen had nothing to do with Iran. However, most of them have been brainwashed in Salafist mosques supported by Saudi Arabia.

Trump appears to be de facto a strong support of Salafi in several ME countries.

Edited by candide
  • Thanks 1

With all due respect it is said that n Korea has 20 nukes and lots and lots of artillary if war were to break out it is possible the deaths would be in the millions and that is if China stays out of it this is indeed a serious ploy by Kim to get sanctions removed.personally I would tell Kim that if he doesent comply we will make sure his people know how the rest of the world lives and back them up if nessary or get rid of the nukes and hardware 

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

With all due respect it is said that n Korea has 20 nukes and lots and lots of artillary if war were to break out it is possible the deaths would be in the millions and that is if China stays out of it this is indeed a serious ploy by Kim to get sanctions removed.personally I would tell Kim that if he doesent comply we will make sure his people know how the rest of the world lives and back them up if nessary or get rid of the nukes and hardware 

With  all due respect...do you suggest that ramping up the military threat against a confirmed Dynastic  dictator who is possession of  nuclear weapons is a serious solution?

"His  people" probably already  have  some  good grasp of their predicament but are too stupified  by their actual  living  conditions to react in suicidal revolt. The same could  be applied to the USA in reality!

Kim is  not suicidal.... he  just wants  a form of legitimacy more than a  visit with an orange orangatan .

Long  gone are the days of the "nuclear  deterrent" strategy.

Nuclear threat is the invitation to the negotiation table  regardless of the  size of a nation.

Insisting  that no other  but the self proclaimed mighty may have is pointless against the ease of  acquiring the when  capacity is demonstrably not so difficult.

If it were to come to renewed open military confrontation  the potential  for  ww3 is  very  real and thus the  sacrifice of  "people"  would  not  be limited to one nation.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Amazing what brainwashing can do. Any thoughts about Venezuela and Cuba to enlighten us?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...