Wall St. climbs as jobs data supports upbeat economic outlook

rooster59

Wall St. climbs as jobs data supports upbeat economic outlook

By Caroline Valetkevitch

800x800 (2).jpg

Traders work on the floor at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York, U.S., May 3, 2019. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks rose in a broad-based rally on Friday as stronger-than-expected job growth in April coupled with muted wage gains left investors upbeat about the outlook for the economy and interest rates.

The Nasdaq registered a record high close, while the S&P 500 ended just shy of a record high finish.

The Labor Department said employers added 263,000 jobs in April, which blew past expectations, and the unemployment rate dropped to 3.6 percent, the lowest level since December 1969. Average hourly earnings came in just shy of expectations, indicating muted inflationary pressure.

The data supports the Federal Reserve's patient stance toward raising interest rates, which is a positive for stocks.

"We continue to have stronger and stronger job growth, and it seems like there's less and less inflation, which is really odd. You typically don't see that, and basically what that signals to the market is that the Fed is on hold," said Jamie Cox, managing partner of Harris Financial Group in Richmond, Virginia. "That could portend for better earnings in the future for companies."

Boosting the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq, Amazon.com Inc rose 3.2%, after CNBC reported that Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc has bought shares of the internet retailing giant for the first time.

The consumer discretionary sector rose 1.5%, leading a rally among the 11 major S&P sectors.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 197.16 points, or 0.75%, to 26,504.95, the S&P 500 gained 28.12 points, or 0.96%, to 2,945.64, and the Nasdaq Composite added 127.22 points, or 1.58%, to 8,164.00.

For the week, the S&P 500 and Nasdaq were up 0.2% while the Dow slipped 0.2%.

With nearly 400 S&P 500 companies having reported quarterly results so far, three-quarters have topped profit estimates, according to Refinitiv data.

The upbeat reports have turned around the S&P 500 earnings estimate for the first quarter to a rise of almost 1% compared with the 2% decline projected at the start of April.

Newell Brand Inc shares jumped 13.5% after the maker of Rubbermaid and other consumer goods exceeded Wall Street expectations for quarterly adjusted profit as it benefited from cost savings and higher pricing.

Network gear-maker Arista Networks Inc tumbled 10.4% after it forecast weak current-quarter revenue, while Activision Blizzard Inc fell 4.8% after the videogame maker forecast current-quarter profit below expectations as it puts more money into its franchises to battle competition.

Advancing issues outnumbered declining ones on the NYSE by a 3.77-to-1 ratio; on Nasdaq, a 3.85-to-1 ratio favored advancers.

The S&P 500 posted 36 new 52-week highs and two new lows; the Nasdaq Composite recorded 91 new highs and 30 new lows.

Volume on U.S. exchanges was 6.47 billion shares, compared to the 6.62 billion average for the full session over the last 20 trading days.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-04

Trump says 'the coal industry is back.' ...)

"Even with the Trump administration’s attempts to revive the industry, coal plant closures during Trump’s first two years in office exceeded units retired during the first five years of the Obama administration. Despite the Environmental Protection Agency’s planned roll back of the Clean Power Plan, most  utilities have no plans to delay or reverse coal plant retirements."

Coal mining, support, and coal-generated electricity combined employed 161,033, shedding close to 6,000 jobs from 2017.

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

How about you read carefully this excellent Forbes article that sums up exactly how Obama ruined the job market and Trump saved it. This deals with the "specifics" you want.

I need some help, which I am sure you can provide.  Can you quote three examples from that article that state the specific actions Trump took that resulted in economic upswing.  Because I'm not seeing it.  That opinion article does the same thing you did, saying :

"Trump’s policies [...] ignited a manufacturing resurgence."

What policies?  What specifically did Trump do?  The tax cut?  Sorry, that's Paul Ryan's fault not Trump's.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I can't force you to read the article.

I did read the article and did not see the specific Trump actions you seem to be trumpeting.  I freely admit that global economics is not my strong suit.  That is precisely why I want a nuts-and-bolts analysis of specific Trump actions.  Not generalizations like "Trump's policies".

1) deregualtion

What exactly did Trump deregulate?  Whenever I hear deregulation, it's usually in the context of congressional action.  Your article actually says "stimulated by tax cuts and deregulation" leading me to believe that deregulation was part of the congressional tax cut bamboozle.

2)slashing red tape

Isn't that the same thing as deregulation?  Your source says:

"Second, the Trump Administration’s deregulatory practice exceeded expectations, with red tape being cut at a faster clip..."

Seems like the "red tape" being referred to is deregulation.

3) tax cuts for business and incentivize repatriation of overseas funds to the tune of $300 billion.

Tax cuts? See my previous post.  That was Paul Ryan's fault.   I'll give Trump a participation trophy for being able to "sign" his name at the bottom of that legislation.

I would add, Trump clearly is working to make America great again, it's no surprise businesses are confident and expanding.

What's your barometer for business confidence?  Because I found this:

bci.PNG.ae929557ae53762afbcaf5d96ba98a64.PNG

And what is your barometer for the statement "businesses are expanding"?

Finally, if America is so great (again), what is your speculations as to why Trump's approval rating can't seem to ever climb out of the low 40s, and actually spends most of its time in the mid to upper 30s?  If the economy were truly as great as you say, I would think people would be delighted about Trump.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

And what is your barometer for the statement "businesses are expanding"?

There are any number of economic indicators one could look at to make any point they wished to make. If you want to see a positive spin you can look at the LEI which is pretty strong. If you want to make the opposite case You can find another indicator that may bolster your argument.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Yes. Happily. But you will only mock. How about you read carefully this excellent Forbes article that sums up exactly how Obama ruined the job market and Trump saved it. This deals with the "specifics" you want.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2018/10/16/the-trump-manufacturing-jobs-boom-10-times-obamas-over-21-months/#2e79eb865850

For how long?

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-04-05/manufacturing-jobs-boom-is-fading

Quote:

"The manufacturing jobs pause does seem to offer more support, though, for my contention that the “Trump economy” — last year’s brief, fiscal-stimulus-assisted growth spurt notwithstanding — is mainly a continuation of the “Obama economy” that preceded it, a period of slow but long-lasting growth with some interesting characteristics." 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, attrayant said:

I need some help, which I am sure you can provide.  Can you quote three examples from that article that state the specific actions Trump took that resulted in economic upswing.  Because I'm not seeing it.  That opinion article does the same thing you did, saying :

"Trump’s policies [...] ignited a manufacturing resurgence."

What policies?  What specifically did Trump do?  The tax cut?  Sorry, that's Paul Ryan's fault not Trump's.

Ummm, he trash talks the Fed to keep interest rates low so companies can continue to invest in stock buy backs rather than productivity builders like equipment, technology or innovation?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, zydeco said:

Job hopping. Overall labor force decreased by 490K to 162.47 million.

Get used to it. Automation and robotics, even without AI, will devastate employment of humans.

If Trump is lucky, it won't really kick in till he's out of office, but there is probably nothing he could do to stop it anyway.

However, back to the OP. A good economy will always "trump" other issues. So long as it continues, Trump will still be the president in 2021, IMO.

3 hours ago, riclag said:

Mr. Trump  achieved all of this despite help from the dems.,who have been on a mission(russia,russia) for 3 years.They want power so much that they fail to see what Americans care about.

Take a deeper look into the stats, participation rates, average hours worked, hourly wages actually getting lower, manufacturing still losing jobs and so on. Plus a great deal of concern with the accelerated national debt. Been said many times, Trump is shallow in his comprehension of economics and has been warned to stop boasting, thereby taking on personal responsibility, could easily end in tears.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, riclag said:
21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Labor Department said employers added 263,000 jobs in April, which blew past expectations, and the unemployment rate dropped to 3.6 percent, the lowest level since December 1969. Average hourly earnings came in just shy of expectations, indicating muted inflationary pressure.

Mr. Trump  achieved all of this despite help from the dems.,who have been on a mission(russia,russia) for 3 years.They want power so much that they fail to see what Americans care about.

If you mean creating more low wage jobs, maybe.  The second part of this statement in the OP is what gives the Wall Steeters a hard-on:

U.S. stocks rose in a broad-based rally on Friday as stronger-than-expected job growth in April coupled with muted wage gains

They don't really care that the number of jobs increased (if they really did).  Just that the people continue to go to work for low wages.  Doesn't sound like very good news to most wage earners who have been losing ground since the '70s.

Great for "The Market", though.  Over 80% of which belongs to a few of the richest folks.  Sure, some of us with investments will get the trickle down. 

Kind of like the pigs in the lower pens get the trickle down of the pens they put up top to reduce the cost of feed.  If the pigs up top get a little better feed, the pigs down below get a little better manure.  You can argue all you want that their lives are better, and maybe they are.  But they're still living on manure.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Take a deeper look into the stats, participation rates, average hours worked, hourly wages actually getting lower, manufacturing still losing jobs and so on. Plus a great deal of concern with the accelerated national debt. Been said many times, Trump is shallow in his comprehension of economics and has been warned to stop boasting, thereby taking on personal responsibility, could easily end in tears.

I am afraid it is you that has the limited understanding. Wages are up 3.4%

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Never the less they are what they are, despite your liberal claims .When the MSM like reuters puts out a  headline "Wall St. climbs as jobs data supports upbeat economic outlook" it's golden! People for change understand that many swing voters don't go into the weeds,they just see the head lines !We need the black ,Hispanic,asian and women  independent vote! In case you haven't noticed those figures for jobs are all time highs

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I am afraid it is you that has the limited understanding. Wages are up 3.4%

Congrats a point of contention, but the lower paid sector are still paid peanuts. Isn't the term "working poor".

The US average weekly wage increased 3.4% year over year to $1,155 in the second quarter

10 minutes ago, riclag said:

Never the less they are what they are, despite your liberal claims .When the MSM like reuters puts out a  headline "Wall St. climbs as jobs data supports upbeat economic outlook" it's golden! People for change understand that many swing voters don't go into the weeds,they just see the head lines !We need the black ,Hispanic,asian and women  independent vote! In case you haven't noticed those figures for jobs are all time highs

Really need to get over partisan blah blah - no matter trump's style it ain't the way forward.

Given trumps constant claims of lies regarding govt stats under Obama, I'm curious what is now the minimum definition of a job in the US context for govt reporting.. Is it 30 hours a week with no benefits, part time or...and is there a breakdown?