Wall St. climbs as jobs data supports upbeat economic outlook

rooster59

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Really need to get over partisan blah blah - no matter trump's style it ain't the way forward.

Given trumps constant claims of lies regarding govt stats under Obama, I'm curious what is now the minimum definition of a job in the US context for govt reporting.. Is it 30 hours a week with no benefits, part time or...and is there a breakdown?

Disagree! People are spending money  ! If they weren't working they wouldn't be!

I like the style of change from the last 50 years of shipping jobs out of the country!The partisian blah blah is just the beginning, stay tuned 

"US retail trade jumped 1.6 percent from a month earlier in March 2019, following a 0.2 percent drop in February and easily beating market expectations of a 0.9 percent advance. That was the biggest increase in retail trade since September 2017 boosted by sales of motor vehicles and a range of other goods. Retail Sales MoM in the United States averaged 0.36 percent from 1992 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 6.70 percent in October of 2001 and a record low of -3.90 percent in November of 2008".

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/retail-sales

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

ad Obama done what he should have and got rid of the health insurance companies, and made American health free for all, or at least free hospital care, I'd have a very different opinion of him, but he brought in the worst of all possible options. He should have left it alone if he couldn't fix it for political reasons.

Your point is well made but from what I have read Obama wanted to do exactly what you suggested and go to a single payer option but there was not enough Congressional support-even among his own party- to get it passed. So, he settled for the next best thing which actually has proved coverage for many millions that never had it.

While I never liked Obamacare and the  mandate in it that  provided the IRS the authority to  make a citizen pay for something he did not want, it was better than nothing at all.  Obama should have funded the program by  eliminating the cap on  payroll deduction for Medicare- which means an employee earning over $120K does not have any Medicare tax to pay after he reaches that threshold virtually giving high salaried people including members of Congress a free pass . 

What America needs is Medicare for all; the elimination of insurance companies and a restriction on Big Phrma -Every Industrialize country in the World has it except the US.  

Healthcare; Climate Control and Immigration as well as  Equal rights will be the main issues in the 2020 Election and Trump has failed on all of these.   Millennial; Blacks; and Women will vote in huge numbers and come out in force and Trump will be defeated.  There is no way he can carry  ALL of the rust belt states and Florida and his Southern coalition will break.

He won't win the popular vote (which he lost to Clinton in 2016) and he will lose the electoral vote by a huge margin.

He'll slither back to New York ranting about 'witch hunts' deep state and fake news but he will be gone and America and the World can breathe again.

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Your point is well made but from what I have read Obama wanted to do exactly what you suggested and go to a single payer option but there was not enough Congressional support-even among his own party- to get it passed. So, he settled for the next best thing which actually has proved coverage for many millions that never had it.

While I never liked Obamacare and the  mandate in it that  provided the IRS the authority to  make a citizen pay for something he did not want, it was better than nothing at all.  Obama should have funded the program by  eliminating the cap on  payroll deduction for Medicare- which means an employee earning over $120K does not have any Medicare tax to pay after he reaches that threshold virtually giving high salaried people including members of Congress a free pass . 

What America needs is Medicare for all; the elimination of insurance companies and a restriction on Big Phrma -Every Industrialize country in the World has it except the US.  

Healthcare; Climate Control and Immigration as well as  Equal rights will be the main issues in the 2020 Election and Trump has failed on all of these.   Millennial; Blacks; and Women will vote in huge numbers and come out in force and Trump will be defeated.  There is no way he can carry  ALL of the rust belt states and Florida and his Southern coalition will break.

He won't win the popular vote (which he lost to Clinton in 2016) and he will lose the electoral vote by a huge margin.

He'll slither back to New York ranting about 'witch hunts' deep state and fake news but he will be gone and America and the World can breathe again.

We are well aware of predictions,  aren't we! You have no idea what is coming  or going! One thing for sure  libs keep on making the mistake of underestimating Mr. Trump's  marketing genius ! 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 9:05 PM, Tug said:

That’s good my investments are doing good

Leaving out for a moment the "I"m all right Jack" aspect, that's what they all said in 1999 and 2007, as well.  Lots of retirees went on peanut butter and hot dog diets the next years when "the street" took back what they had gained...  and more.

I'd knock on some wood if I were you.

7 hours ago, riclag said:

Disagree! People are spending money  ! If they weren't working they wouldn't be!

I like the style of change from the last 50 years of shipping jobs out of the country!The partisian blah blah is just the beginning, stay tuned 

"US retail trade jumped 1.6 percent from a month earlier in March 2019, following a 0.2 percent drop in February and easily beating market expectations of a 0.9 percent advance. That was the biggest increase in retail trade since September 2017 boosted by sales of motor vehicles and a range of other goods. Retail Sales MoM in the United States averaged 0.36 percent from 1992 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 6.70 percent in October of 2001 and a record low of -3.90 percent in November of 2008".

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/retail-sales

I note you didn't answer my questions. However, retail sales increase, good news for the Chinese...

https://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/274734/us-ports-see-retail-imports-growth-as-tariffs-on-chinese-goods-are-delayed/

Outsourcing?

Since Trump became president, the Labor Department certified that more than 93,000 jobs have been lost to outsourcing. That is a slightly higher figure than the average of about 87,000 in the preceding five years.

https://inhomelandsecurity.com/outsourcing-trump-administration/

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The average worker has not seen a raise in their hourly income but a stagnation of wages. The current minimum wage of $7,25 is way below what a living wage entails and is virtually unlivable in most States.

In 2016 less than about 2% of the workforce earned the Federal minimum wage (some less). Those jobs were almost entirely in occupations where tips supplemented wages earned. The figure would be far less in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

In 2016 less than about 2% of the workforce earned the Federal minimum wage (some less). Those jobs were almost entirely in occupations where tips supplemented wages earned. The figure would be far less in 2019.

Don’t get me started on the “tip” economy... ????????????

Anyway. The average living wage in the USA in 2018 was about $16/hr. 42% of workers in the USA earn $15/hr or less...

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

Professional and business "services"?  Sound like H1Bs. Trump did say he was going to double those.

Education and health services? Local government and Obamacare

Leisure and hospitality? Upcoming summer temp work.

Construction? Illegals

Government? Government

You really happy with these???

28 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Professional and business "services"?  Sound like H1Bs. Trump did say he was going to double those.

Education and health services? Local government and Obamacare

Leisure and hospitality? Upcoming summer temp work.

Construction? Illegals

Government? Government

You really happy with these???

Sounds like your opinion! but these are the headline's that carry the day! As long as they continue together with retail sales and consumer spending rising .The swing vote traditionally votes according to their pocketbook !

"The Labor Department said Friday the unemployment rate fell to 3.6% in April, the lowest since 1969".

I'm happy with the headlines !Positive signs for America

"Wall St. climbs as jobs data supports upbeat economic outlook"

Edited by riclag

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Yeah it’s insane that anybody has a negative spin on this. Wages are up because of the amazing amounts of jobs being created. Thus causing the markets to soar creating record amounts of wealth there by creating more jobs, given that people start crying because a company might buy back some of its own shares?  Which creates more wealth in the pocket of people with retirement accounts.

This is only bad news if you are sitting around waiting for a welfare check that isn’t going to come because you can literally get a job by simply having opposable thumbs right now.

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Yeah it’s insane that anybody has a negative spin on this. Wages are up because of the amazing amounts of jobs being created. Thus causing the markets to soar creating record amounts of wealth there by creating more jobs, given that people start crying because a company might buy back some of its own shares?  Which creates more wealth in the pocket of people with retirement accounts.

This is only bad news if you are sitting around waiting for a welfare check that isn’t going to come because you can literally get a job by simply having opposable thumbs right now.

This is done by increasing budget deficit and therefore debts that someone will have to pay later.....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, candide said:

This is done by increasing budget deficit and therefore debts that someone will have to pay later.....

As opposed to the dems plan to print 90 trillion dollars to fund social programs? Along with crippling all industry? If anybody had a better plan worth listening to I would be all ears. At the moment this isn’t the worst America could do.

i think it should be part if the constitution to have a balanced budget by law. However that isn’t the case but if such a law were enacted a lot of

dumb ideas on both sides would be not even talked about.

The dems were running up the deficit without creating any wealth so I guess if both sides do the same thing I will run with the side that has been making me a ton of money the past few years. 

Edited by Cryingdick

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

dems plan to print 90 trillion dollars to fund social programs

You can of course backup this claim from a non trump affiliated source?

• Haha 1

We are all delighted with the strong #s but we are also concerned about the exploding deficit during strong economic times that’s when we should be paying down the debt

12 hours ago, riclag said:

Well, that headline didn't age well. Futures down massively on a Trump tweet about tariffs. All of which goes to show how fake the numbers and data are for the economy and the stock bubble. If things were fundamentally sound and reflected true strength in the economy, futures wouldn't plunge 500 points on a tweet. Or stocks increase the same amount on a labor number where labor participation is declining. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-stock-futures-tumble-trump-221450799.html

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Well, that headline didn't age well. Futures down massively on a Trump tweet about tariffs. All of which goes to show how fake the numbers and data are for the economy and the stock bubble. If things were fundamentally sound and reflected true strength in the economy, futures wouldn't plunge 500 points on a tweet. Or stocks increase the same amount on a labor number where labor participation is declining. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-stock-futures-tumble-trump-221450799.html

The market going down that much is a small blip. You have to remember it is at record highs now except for the Dow which has been crippled by Boeing. But yeah a little bit of give back is normal. The gains from the past month have been massive you would have to worry if there wasn't some pull back. Futures also do really weird things if you trade frequently you don’t read too much into it. 

I have seen the market start down by the same amount and reverse its way to huge gains. If I remember correctly the day the Dow gained the most points in a day a few months ago it started way down.

Futures are down the world is ending give me a break. If you feel it means something go ahead and sell your shares if you even own any.

Edited by Cryingdick

23 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Futures are down the world is ending give me a break. If you feel it means something go ahead and sell your shares if you even own any.

Says the man who spent his time gloating over the buying opportunity he thought an airplane crash and the loss of hundreds of lives gave him.

2 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Says the man who spent his time gloating over the buying opportunity he thought an airplane crash and the loss of hundreds of lives gave him.

Yeah and the futures being down are nothing more than another buying opportunity. I didn’t hope for an airline crash. I just buy things cheaply. Possibly a reason I am not hoping for a government welfare check.

Futures being down at this point is like announcing a clearance sale at Macy’s.

Edited by Cryingdick

7 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

As opposed to the dems plan to print 90 trillion dollars to fund social programs? Along with crippling all industry? If anybody had a better plan worth listening to I would be all ears. At the moment this isn’t the worst America could do.

i think it should be part if the constitution to have a balanced budget by law. However that isn’t the case but if such a law were enacted a lot of

dumb ideas on both sides would be not even talked about.

The dems were running up the deficit without creating any wealth so I guess if both sides do the same thing I will run with the side that has been making me a ton of money the past few years. 

No. There has been continuous growth during Obama's administration. And after the country started recovering from the crisis, Obama started reducing budget deficits. Now comes Trump and debts increase by 45% compared to Obama's last term.

It's easy to get more growth and more jobs, one only has to increase budget deficit and debt. Later someone will have to pay for it in one way or another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, candide said:

No. There has been continuous growth during Obama's administration. And after the country started recovering from the crisis, Obama started reducing budget deficits. Now comes Trump and debts increase by 45% compared to Obama's last term.

It's easy to get more growth and more jobs, one only has to increase budget deficit and debt. Later someone will have to pay for it in one way or another.

Social security and Medicare are the two biggest causes of the debt. My generation will be the ones to pay for it. This is why I use the markets to gain wealth and then hedge it. Many younger people especially millennials are catching on to the fact you can’t count on the government to help you in the long run. 

Some me don’t agree and will be the ones waiting for their welfare checks and universal income. The markets being high are great for the small time investor and trader so long as you are taking profits at regular intervals and putting it into assets that hedge it. 

The dems are not going to reduce the debt they want $2 trillion for infrastructure, I am licking my chops at the thought of that but I know that can’t be maintained. The markets are good but you still have to be smart about things. The bulls take the elevator and the bears use the window. 

Edited by Cryingdick

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:41 AM, simple1 said:

Really need to get over partisan blah blah - no matter trump's style it ain't the way forward.

Given trumps constant claims of lies regarding govt stats under Obama, I'm curious what is now the minimum definition of a job in the US context for govt reporting.. Is it 30 hours a week with no benefits, part time or...and is there a breakdown?

Did you really mean to say "Really need to get over partisan blah blah"?

My mind is boggling.