Thais unable to pronounce your name?

I use grab a couple times a week.  The only drop off spot near where I want to go that works with Grab is a place called the Ba Ba Bo Bo Bar.  It is hysterical listening the Grab drivers trying to pronounce it. 

On 5/6/2019 at 11:15 AM, beachproperty said:

My name is Randy......Landy is the Thai version

R and L are loosely pronounced in Standard Thai, and often not at all in Bangkok Thai. Also "kw" becomes "f". My given name has Rs and Ls, so I say I'm Jack, easy to say and no derogatory connotations. "John" is dangerous. Then again, how good is your pronunciation of Thai names?

Edited by jgarbo

the first time i heard someone be called Michen by my thai girlfriend i didn't quite get it as we were only  two in the room. later on, i learnt the letter "l" is pronounced "n". so Michel in france  is Michen in thailand

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

audentes Fortuna adiuvat

Fortune Favours the bold

Si tacuisses philosophus mansisses. Google is your friend.

Edited by Lacessit

I am reminded of Michael Palin weweasing Wodewick. My Thai family never try to pronounce my name (it is Scottish Gaelic wih L R and S in it). I am Koi, Loong, Khun Ta or Grampa depending on relationship.

And, have you ever heard an Englishman tring to say "Burglar" properly.

Working in Vietnam one time, I was told that some streets were blocked off because a VIP motorcade carrying the important diplomat Can Binh was arriving in town for an international meeting.

It was a few days later that I discovered they were talking about Carl Bildt.

9 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I’m Dave, but all my neighbors keep calling me “ Naa Hee” whatever that is.

Do you not get on with the neighbours?

'Naa' is a Thai word meaning uncle, but the only meaning of 'hee', assuming you heard it right, is a vulgar anatomical association.

If it is 'heea', that is a loanword from Chinese meaning 'elder brother', but why you would be both uncle and elder brother, I can't imagine. 

Perhaps some discreet research is called for.

EDIT: What @isaanbiker says may be closer to the truth; it's a question of the tones used to form the words.

Edited by RickBradford
Add info

I'm lucky.  My nickname is Dick and the girls don't have a problem with it.

I imported a number of Thai in-laws to USA about 10 years ago.  Bro-in-law is "Goo", not a problem.  But then there's Nong, Neen, Nap and Noth.  Try saying all those fast after a few beers.

6 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

I’m Dave, but all my neighbors keep calling me “ Naa Hee” whatever that is.

Dabe, pay more attention.  Get some respect.  Are they calling you "I Naa Hee" behind your back?  "Khun Naa Hee" would be more respectful. Perhaps you should smile more - don't pout.

• Haha 1

I found an old ESL evaluation for my wife when she went to Murray State Kentucky.  It stated she had difficulty, and still does, pronouncing certain letters. L, R, W and H are killers and then she tells me to say Ngongoo... Pud Thai nit noi

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2019 at 4:46 PM, Framptn1972 said:

I found an old ESL evaluation for my wife when she went to Murray State Kentucky.  It stated she had difficulty, and still does, pronouncing certain letters. L, R, W and H are killers and then she tells me to say Ngongoo... Pud Thai nit noi

I got on the snake sound awhile back, and tried to get the most convoluted phrase with that NG sound I could.  Got a bit bored before I could get it all right, but it was something like a sleepy slithery snake sliding sideways and some such, all with the NG sound. Nguyen in Vietnamese isn't easy, depending on where you are from.

A poll by audiobook company Audible has revealed the most mispronounced names in literature. Here are the worst offenders:

1. Don Quixote (44%) from Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, 1605-1615

Don-Key-Hoh-Tee, not Don Quicks-Oat

2. Daenerys Targaryen (28%) from Game Of Thrones, George R. R. Martin, 1996

Duh-Nair-Ris Tar-Gair-Ee-In, not Dee-Nay-Ris Targ--Ahh-Ruh-Yen

3. Oedipus (23%) from Oedipus Rex, Sophocles, 429BC

Ee-Di-Pus, not Oh-Eh-Di-Pus

4. Hermione (22%) from The Harry Potter Series, J.K. Rowling, 1997-2007

Her-My-Oh-Knee, not ‘Her-Mee-Own

5. Beowulf (16%) from Beowulf, Unknown Author, C.700-1000

Bay-Oh-Woolf, not Bee-Oh-Wulf

6. Poirot (15%) from 33 of Agatha Christie's Novels, 1920 - 1975

Pwa-Row, not Poy-Rot

7. Smaug (13%) from The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien, 1937

Sm-Owg, not Sm-Org

8. Voldemort (12%) from The Harry Potter Series, J.K. Rowling, 1997-2007

Vol-De-More, not Vol-De-Mort

9. Violet Beauregarde (12%) from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, 1964

Vie-Ah-Let Bore-R-Garrr, not Bore-Ruh-Gard

10. Piscine Patel (11%) from Life Of Pi, Yann Martel, 2001

Piss-Een Pat-El, not Pis-Kine Pat-il

• Like 1