High Thai household debt a major problem for economy - central bank chief

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was speaking to a Chinese colleague quite recently and, ever the diplomat, I asked him why Chinese goods were such crap. He was surprised, and said that back home he had experienced no such low quality and breakages as I described. Which means either he was lying, or that they export their cheap crap to countries like Thailand where price means everything and quality means nothing, and keep the decent stuff for themselves and/or export their quality goods to countries that are willing to pay for that quality.

I think there are various level of quality Chinese products. There are chinese products made in China for foreign brands such as Apple, omron, Phillips, GM cars, ... and there are chinese products of good quality but home grown and the rest ...Thai importers buy on price first, quality second mentality because maximum profit is on their mind. I have good experience in doing chinese exports and I can say with authority that this is what goes on.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Youlike said:

Even lay-z-boy recliners cost double in Thailand compared to the West, and they are made here!

OSIM massage recliner ULOVE 2 cost tb 170,000 plus here at central param9 showroom in Bangkok while I got one here in Kuala Lumpur for around 135,000 ! 

Health products is duty free in Malaysia but maybe taxed in Thailand. 

8 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Apple ?

The last time I checked, Apple was an American company/product. 

If, on the other hand, you're referring to the fact that Apple, along with other western companies, has outsourced production/assembly to China, I assure you it's to American standards, not Chinese, so you can expect western quality made by dirt cheap labourers. 

• Like 1

I'm not surprised. I've seen more than a few Thais who have a monthly income of about 15,000 baht (most of which they obviously need to spend on necessities) and managed to pile up 100,000 baht in credit card debt (2-3 cards maxed out).

Servicing such a debt at almost 30% interest with such a low income is a challenge. While the individual credit card limits might be alright, added up they are much too high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was speaking to a Chinese colleague quite recently and, ever the diplomat, I asked him why Chinese goods were such crap. He was surprised, and said that back home he had experienced no such low quality and breakages as I described. Which means either he was lying, or that they export their cheap crap to countries like Thailand where price means everything and quality means nothing, and keep the decent stuff for themselves and/or export their quality goods to countries that are willing to pay for that quality.

Yes, the Chinese crap I order from HK/China using eBay is of higher quality than sold in Thailand (Lazada is a crapshoot). If I order using US Amazon Prime, I get the highest quality crap, after paying import taxes naturally. Getting EU/US produced goods basically means using a day or two to find them or travelling to west to get them from local shops, but then you'll finally get some sort of quality.

• Like 1

The lack of comprehension around getting into debt is often the bigger problem.

The banks do seem to have accepted a fairly high rate of non-payment and will often offer 50% deals just to get that customer off their books.

The absurdity of having someone who cannot afford to pay a debt and then charging them additional fines for non-payment is criminal, the onus needs to switch to the lender to take responsibility and only lend to those who are capable of repaying the debt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ctkong said:

I think there are various level of quality Chinese products. There are chinese products made in China for foreign brands such as Apple, omron, Phillips, GM cars, ... and there are chinese products of good quality but home grown and the rest ...Thai importers buy on price first, quality second mentality because maximum profit is on their mind. I have good experience in doing chinese exports and I can say with authority that this is what goes on.  

That supports what i thought, then.