What's going on with Manual cars??

12 minutes ago, transam said:

You stated you have driven cheap cars with no low gear select...Now I do not know of one...You tell me the ones you drove with no low gear select...

If you do not have a clue how to drive your auto ride then say so...

Why don't you just go away. I have told you I cant recall all the lumps I have driven. But everyone of your post seems to just ask the same question over and over again. Now your saying I don't know how to drive. This is my last post on the subject as all I get is the same rubbish time after time. Just go look for yourself. You might learn something. So you have driven every auto lump that available in Thailand I don't think so. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, fredob43 said:

Why don't you just go away. I have told you I cant recall all the lumps I have driven. But everyone of your post seems to just ask the same question over and over again. Now your saying I don't know how to drive. This is my last post on the subject as all I get is the same rubbish time after time. Just go look for yourself.  

I ask the question again because you have been talking senescence...Next you will tell me your near new fORTUNER Does not have low gear select...BUT, in your case it may not as you seem to know nothing about what you are driving...

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I ask the question again because you have been talking senescence...Next you will tell me your near new fORTUNER Does not have low gear select...BUT, in your case it may not as you seem to know nothing about what you are driving...

Might be the old racing chipped tuna.

7 minutes ago, transam said:

I wasn't going to reply but as you are questioning my driving I will. For your information I used to race lotus lumps for South Berry motors won many races in my class. Unlike you they weren't fun rides like your it only went in a strait line USA lump.

You should know if you have driven the new Tuna (That I very much doubt) has several ways of selecting low gears either by using the T/Tronic or paddle shift. I don't bother as it's much quicker to press sports mode if you need faster acceleration. Going down hills you can leave it in drive. Happy now. 

10 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Might be the old racing chipped tuna.

Every time I put a post on I get you referring to my last Tuna that was race sorted. Got up your nose that someone had a quicker lump than you??? Like T/A your getting repetitive. Might be time to come up with something new.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:16 AM, transam said:

I note a member showed "confused" regarding this post. I would like to know what you think is confusing....????

There are some TV members who find everything confusing, I wouldn't take it personally.

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I wasn't going to reply but as you are questioning my driving I will. For your information I used to race lotus lumps for South Berry motors won many races in my class. Unlike you they weren't fun rides like your it only went in a strait line USA lump.

You should know if you have driven the new Tuna (That I very much doubt) has several ways of selecting low gears either by using the T/Tronic or paddle shift. I don't bother as it's much quicker to press sports mode if you need faster acceleration. Going down hills you can leave it in drive. Happy now. 

Again, what cheap rides have you driven with no low gear select...?

20 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Every time I put a post on I get you referring to my last Tuna that was race sorted. Got up your nose that someone had a quicker lump than you??? Like T/A your getting repetitive. Might be time to come up with something new.

Are you not well?

On 5/14/2019 at 3:59 AM, fredob43 said:

Sounds to me a bit like Tip Tronic that they have now on most auto G/Boxes. For those that don't know, you slide the stick to one side and it'll allow you to change gear up or down with a short click on the stick. Load of rubbish if you ask me but it's there if you want to change gear yourself.

I don't know why other members are arguing with you over gear select/tiptronic they are both awful in automatic cars... My old car had tiptronic but it's still an A/T and would override my selections and shift itself into whatever gear it felt like I SHOULD be in... Complete waste of time to shift like that!

5 hours ago, SanookTeufel said:

I don't know why other members are arguing with you over gear select/tiptronic they are both awful in automatic cars... My old car had tiptronic but it's still an A/T and would override my selections and shift itself into whatever gear it felt like I SHOULD be in... Complete waste of time to shift like that!

Totally agree with you. I have the normal auto, stick it in D and your off. If I want to overtake anything sharpish I put it in sports mode and it flies.

Also have Tip Tronic and those flappy things behind the S/Wheel. Have never used T/Tronic in the two years+ I have had it. And those flappy bits (tried it once) are a Bloody waist of time. If they didn't have them it might make the Lump a bit cheaper. 

9 hours ago, SanookTeufel said:

Try the Ferrari F430... paddle shift combined with a hand clutch. In town your arms could end up twisted like a pretzel. Why didn't they make a manual version?

2 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The main reason they don't make autos here is because they can't freakin' drive! I like my manual sports car as I would rather drive the car than have it drive me. Plus the manual will accept modifications and more power.

Disagree:

With sentence 1 because they do. They don't make their own cars because they're just not smart enough. The correct term is assemble. They assemble many marques. Quality unknown.

Sentence 2 is dependent on how good a driver you are. Most of us are average.

Sentence 3 is a  duplicity of modern autos also.

6 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Try the Ferrari F430... paddle shift combined with a hand clutch. In town your arms could end up twisted like a pretzel. Why didn't they make a manual version?

Another popular family car for everyday use.

Answer: Because they don't trust the driver. Ability to drive such an engineering marvel is mostly disparate to driving ability. Particularly on public roads. Money can't compensate for inadequacy. Especially when driven at warp speed.

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The main reason they don't make autos here is because they can't freakin' drive! I like my manual sports car as I would rather drive the car than have it drive me. Plus the manual will accept modifications and more power.

A manual box is built to handle a given hp/tq figure for a particular ride. It is not true that you can give an engine more power and the box will handle it..

In fact fun drag racing folk mainly use an auto trans because it can handle more power. I have the T-shirt regarding leaving a GM T10 manual box parts on the black top..

On 5/18/2019 at 10:21 AM, transam said:

Why...?

It was a simple question, what auto trans does not have a lower gear select..

Some don't/didn't have a low ratio selection. Such as GM's powerglide. from a while back.

For all the guys talking smack about Thais driving stick, 10-15 years ago you couldn’t hardly find anything with an automatic.

I’m guessing the excise tax scheme a few years ago the sparked all the new and often young drivers might have had something to do with it.

Warranty headaches? I've always thought manual to be much more reliable.
I can see traffic being a big impact though as others have noted traffic is much more easily dealt with in an automatic.

Historically manuals have been more reliable, but autos have improved to the point where they are generally bullet-proof, clutches not so much. A nut-sack riding the clutch can wear one out in no time.

Used to be understood clutch disk was not covered under the warranty, now it is often covered, and when it is not covered the customer thinks it is, ergo, a warranty dispute and an unhappy customer.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:59 AM, mogandave said:

For all the guys talking smack about Thais driving stick, 10-15 years ago you couldn’t hardly find anything with an automatic.

I’m guessing the excise tax scheme a few years ago the sparked all the new and often young drivers might have had something to do with it.

Can you explain more about this?

The excise tax made auto more affordable vs manual or it just promoted younger people to drive (who don't know how to drive manual).?

Can you explain more about this?
The excise tax made auto more affordable vs manual or it just promoted younger people to drive (who don't know how to drive manual).?

Both. Cheap cars with automatics flooded the market for a few years.

You can easily get someone that drives a stick to buy a car with an automatic. A lot tougher getting someone that can’t drive a stick to buy one.

Kids in the US grow up driving, and you can get a permit at 15. Here, it seems like most people don’t learn to drive until the buy a car.

Also, even the motorcycles here generally don’t have clutches, making the bike-to-car with a stick transition even more difficult.

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2019 at 7:53 PM, mogandave said:

How far back? My mother’s ‘62 Chevy ll wagon had low & drive.

At least until 1976. My first US ride was an AMC concord (a lease.rental). Had an 'S' selection. At that time 'S' indicated second gear not sport. That meant the gearbox was restricted to cycling between first and second gear. Third was effectively overdrive. There was no separate 1st gear selection.

After about six wheel rotations from start it would change up to second resulting in admirable acceleration (for all the wrong reasons).

On 5/20/2019 at 8:33 AM, transam said:

Used as a comparison. Haven't got a clue what was fitted to the Concord I drove. I messed my post and messed my attempt to delete it (I thought I had already). The point I wanted to make was that early gearboxes changed up gear too early and that was compensated for. Also, that not all had a selectable first gear.

Which may be not as long ago as you may think.

Archived